Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Official THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY Thread (December 14, 2012)

I haven't seen this around, so I thought I'd start it.

This isn't Lord of the Rings, so I didn't feel like this should be in the franchise/LotR section.

My friend just asked me who the director of Hobbit is and IMDB says it's Guillermo del Toro (http://imdb.com/title/tt0903624/)

I haven't seen anyone rant and get excited about this, or even make mention of it, so I thought I'd do so. If this information or another official Hobbit thread has already been started, please move this there, or delete.

I couldn't find this news or an "official" thread anywhere.

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-29-2012 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Updated Title
Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I RAISE YOU BACK TO LIIIIIIIIIFE!!!!!

Wading Through the Peter Jackson–Guillermo del Toro ‘Hobbit’ Chat

This weekend The Hobbit's director Guillermo del Toro and producer Peter Jackson sat down for an online chat to answer fans' questions about the upcoming Tolkien adaptation and its sequel, Hobbits Take Manhattan. In the end the two bearded auteurs answered 60 questions, which means the transcript is endless, as long as the frigging Silmarillion. We combed through it to find the most interesting tidbits for fans like us who, though we're interested in the movies, don't care if the new movies will use "extensive matte paintings and 'big-atures' to portray the vast panoramas and cities of Middle-earth."

After the jump, find out if actors from Lord of the Rings will return, if Peter Jackson will direct any of The Hobbit, if the second movie will be a 60-year history, and why the dragon in The Hobbit should be even more awesome than Vermitrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer.

How will The Hobbit movies stand in relation to the Lord of the Rings movies?

Del Toro: THE HOBBIT is, in essence, an overture to a massive Symphonic work so main themes are reprised but new modulations and new colors are introduced, thematically and texturally.

Jackson: I love Guillermo's symphonic allusion. The "overture" can have a different flavour, a different texture, yet be a carefully crafted introduction to what's to follow. Film Two is perfect to dramatise the shift in Middle-earth that propells us into the dark days of LOTR. If LOTR is World War One, then the Hobbit is like an Edwardian adventure tale, set in the days before world notices the looming storm clouds.

How awesome will the dragon be?

Del Toro: Although its always impossible to agree on the "greatest" of anything, I bring forth these two as the main film contenders for that title: Eyvind Earle / Disney's Maleficent dragon ( a triumph of elegance of color and design) and Vermitrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer.

In my opinion, every other design has borrowed heavily from these two. I plan to create something new and groundbreaking.

Smaug should not be "the Dragon in the Hobbit movie" as if it was just "another" creature in a Bestiary. Smaug should be "The DRAGON" for all movies past and present.

Might Jackson step in and direct some scenes in the Hobbit movies?

Jackson: Guillermo always shoots his own material, so we'll do our best to construct a schedule that allows him to do that. It will depend a lot on how the scripts break down.

I'd happily shot some second unit stuff, anytime Guillermo asked me to. But let's see what happens.

So what will be in that second movie, anyway?

Jackson: The Hobbit is interesting in how Tolkien created a feeling of dangerous events unfolding, which preoccupy Gandalf. There's an awful lot of incident that happens during that 60 year gap. At this stage, we're not imagining a film that literally covers 60 years, like a bio-pic or documentary. We would figure out what happens during that 60 years, and choose one short section of time to drop in and dramatise for the screen.

What will the second movie's title be?

Del Toro: Too early- but not "H2 Electric Boogaloo" that has been discarded.

Will actors (other than Ian McKellen, who's already been announced) from the Lord of the Rings movies reprise their roles?

Del Toro: Obviously, at this stage, the second film is still being figured out- so the actors that have been approached may or not have appeared in the HOBBIT as a literary work but still may appear in the second film as it “blends” into the Trilogy and expands. Therefore what can be said is: Unequivocally, every single actor that originated a role in the Trilogy will be asked to participate and reprise it. If Health, availability or willigness become obstacles – and only in that case recasting would be considered.

Jackson: Like Guillermo says, apart from extreme circumstances, we would never recast a character who appeared in the LOTR trilogy. You can read The Hobbit and pretty much see which characters play a part. The unknown facter is Film Two, which we are still developing. If we wished to write one of the LOTR characters into the narrative of Film Two, we would only do that with that actors blessing, and willingess to take part. Otherwise we'd take the writing in another direction.

Will Gollum make an appearance? Will he be played by Andy Serkis?

Del Toro: Yes! As all of you know, Gollum has a rather fascinating arch to go through and his alliance to Shelob or his period of imprisonment in Thranduil's, etc but it is early still- so early in fact that to reveal more would tie our hands and be counterproductive. There can never be "too much Andy."
Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
It's never too early to get excited about the Hobbit film adaptation and it's subsequent follow up that will chronicle the timespan between the events in the Hobbit and Lotr , but i seriously want to pace myself , or else i'll become fatigued too soon .

I was thinking something a bit mad , can Connery fit anywhere in these films . I know Mckellan is reprising his role as The Grey Pilgrim , but somehow , i just hope they can get Connery off his island and find even a small role for him .

If anything he can at least maybe do dubbing , so at least his voice will be there and his presence will be felt . Or maybe he can play an Orc lord or an Elf King of the forest , or hold on man , Beorn ?

I just want this guy in this series of films somehow , because he was the first choice for Gan , but he refused because of the time it would take to complete principal photography , he didn't want to spend almost 2 years in NZ , but man , no matter how much i love what Ian did with this , i'm still curious as to what Connery would have brought to the character .

I get giddy just thinking about all the scenes from the book , the five armies battle , the Laketown assault , the whole Lonely mountain escapade , bilbo finding the ring , and his escape from the mountain , the spider assault in the forest . Then , if that's not enough , we'll see things that were only hinted at in the book , when the second film comes out , it seriously doesn't get any better than that .

Hey , at least people won't be able to complain about comparisons to the book , with regards to the second film .
Old 05-29-2008, 02:56 AM
For me the LOTR trilogy is still the highlight of the 00's decade. No other film in the years since ROTK have come close to that level of filmmaking. It seems to me that the 90's were a lot more memorable movie-wise. The only film that can surpass LOTR in this decade is Cameron's Avatar but that remains a question mark.

Now Del Toro & Jackson can make the first highlight of the 01's decade. The Hobbit will be insanely huge, Phantom Menace huge in its build up. I will try to NOT read every single detail about preproduction etc. since I know from previous films that it does affect how you enjoy a movie, and not in a positive way. Overall this will be THE movie for me too watch out for in the upcoming years.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 AM
I think they should call the 2nd movie "There and Back Again" since I'm assuming that they will actually arrive and well.. return... in the second flick. it seems like an obvious choice to me.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Althuogh I'm not really looking forward to this, I'm absolutely impressed by the care that's being put to it. Guillermo del Toro fucking rocks and I couldn't be happier he landed this gig. He won't disappoint.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:43 PM
If the studio brass have their way, it appears that James McAvoy may be heading to Middle Earth. According to Daily Express, an insider has told the London newspaper that James McAvoy is being highly touted for the role of Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit.

"A number of names have privately been doing the rounds, including Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black but James is the one the film's bosses really want," said the newspaper's source. He went on to add, "They're expected to have talks with him soon so hopefully it could be confirmed in the not too distant future."

Director Guillermo del Toro wouldn't comment on the news, but he did offer that, while recently meeting with Peter Jackson, "I can tell you it's down to a few names that we all agree upon. For our first choice, completely magically, we all said the same name."

We'll have more information as it unfolds. The Hobbit is still in early stages of pre-production and the film won't start production until sometime in 2009. The film is slated for release in December of 2011.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Wait a minute , i thought it scheduled for a Christmas 2010 release .

And what , Shia Labeof hasn't been mentioned , he's in every other film now . Just please no Radcliffe , it's enough he's in the Potter series , i seriously wouldn't want to see him in middle earth also .
Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Personally, I think James McAvoy would be an excellent Bilbo. He is every inch a hobbit, especially his hair (may not even need a wig). Plus, as Atonement and Last King of Scotland proved, he can certainly act. That said, I would not be against Martin Freeman as Bilbo. If I were Mac, I'd take seize this opportunity.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corran horn View Post
Personally, I think James McAvoy would be an excellent Bilbo. He is every inch a hobbit, especially his hair (may not even need a wig). Plus, as Atonement and Last King of Scotland proved, he can certainly act. That said, I would not be against Martin Freeman as Bilbo. If I were Mac, I'd take seize this opportunity.
That's not bad . . . I'd get on board for that.

I'm just glad this is finally on track . . . especially since there was all that legal trouble with Jackson and New Line a few years back. I'm glad that Jackson is still involved, and that Guillermo del Toro is taking over the directing reigns nad has a "full steam ahead" mentality.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 PM
How about this guy, Martin Freeman?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:18 PM
I'd bloody love for it to be Freeman. I loved him in The Office and I thought Hitchhiker's would make him a household name to American audiences. Now is the time- he'd be perfect for Bilbo.

That said, I doubt it'll be him.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm a huge fan of McAvoy, but Freeman sure does look a lot like Holm.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 AM
Del Toro in the live chat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
"Therefore what can be said is: Unequivocally, every single actor that originated a role in the Trilogy will be asked to participate and reprise it. If Health, availability or willigness become obstacles and only in that case recasting would be considered."
So, since everybody is re-casting Bilbo, has Ian Holm turned down that role, or is his age (health) too great of an obstacle?

I love the suggestions of McAvoy and Freeman, but we did already see Holm as young Bilbo finding the ring in "Fellowship"...
Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkbat View Post
Del Toro in the live chat:So, since everybody is re-casting Bilbo, has Ian Holm turned down that role, or is his age (health) too great of an obstacle?
I think Holm may be too old to reprise it.

--

This excites me though, it means we'll be seeing Hugo Weaving again as Elrond if he has the time.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclicNightmare View Post
I'd bloody love for it to be Freeman. I loved him in The Office and I thought Hitchhiker's would make him a household name to American audiences.
Don't forget how poorly the Hitchhiker's movie was received in the states Cyclic.

I think Del Toro is looking at big names people actually will recognize and have some respect for.

Last edited by AndrewDB; 06-02-2008 at 07:18 AM..
Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_verhoeven View Post

Now Del Toro & Jackson can make the first highlight of the 01's decade. The Hobbit will be insanely huge, Phantom Menace huge in its build up. I will try to NOT read every single detail about preproduction etc. since I know from previous films that it does affect how you enjoy a movie, and not in a positive way. Overall this will be THE movie for me too watch out for in the upcoming years.
I think you mean the '10s decade. '01's decade is currently transpiring.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewDB View Post
I think Del Toro is looking at big names people actually will recognize and have some respect for.
I don't know; several of the actors in the LOTR weren't that big or recognizeable when they were cast. Both McAvoy and Freeman would do great as Bilbo Baggins and I don't think how "big" or "popular" they are should matter; if they're right for the role, then they should be cast.

And Ian Holm is too old for the role. It would be hard to believe if he reprised the role as a younger Bilbo; his one stint as the young Bilbo in Fellowship worked because it was the one scene. But I don't think they could pull it off for two movies.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Hobbit Update:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2P0dTo0yNpQ&feature=user
Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM
OMG, Tumnus as Bilbo ftw!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
I was thinking something a bit mad , can Connery fit anywhere in these films . I know Mckellan is reprising his role as The Grey Pilgrim , but somehow , i just hope they can get Connery off his island and find even a small role for him.
Oh, yes!!! I feel like one of the biggest Connery fans alive and would love to see him pop up in The Hobbit movies. Even if he showed up running through the New Zealand countryside, wearing a red speedo, boots, and rocking a ponytail- I'd still love it.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Oh, yes!!! I feel like one of the biggest Connery fans alive and would love to see him pop up in The Hobbit movies. Even if he showed up running through the New Zealand countryside, wearing a red speedo, boots, and rocking a ponytail- I'd still love it.
He retired from acting. He didnt even come back for Indy 4.

He was offered the role of Gandalf before McKellan. He didnt understand it and declined it.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
He retired from acting. He didnt even come back for Indy 4.

He was offered the role of Gandalf before McKellan. He didnt understand it and declined it.
Oh yeah, I already know about his retirement. Spielberg practically begged him to come back for Indy 4 but he responded by saying he just enjoyed retirement too much.

Connery has always been "out there" and I admire that genius Scottish bastard. Viva la Connery!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Oh yeah, I already know about his retirement. Spielberg practically begged him to come back for Indy 4 but he responded by saying he just enjoyed retirement too much.

Connery has always been "out there" and I admire that genius Scottish bastard. Viva la Connery!
He is like the Gary Busey of Old People

http://youtube.com/watch?v=etmHaeaNsCw

ftw
Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman69 View Post
He is like the Gary Busey of Old People

http://youtube.com/watch?v=etmHaeaNsCw

ftw
"The day is mine!"

Kudos to you, sir!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Don't forget how poorly the Hitchhiker's movie was received in the states Cyclic.

I'm trying to drive that accursed movie from my memory still. I hated that movie (Hitchhikers). I thought is was awful.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel_montes View Post
How about this guy, Martin Freeman?

Martin Freeman would be excellent casting. Though i don't know if he is too old by now.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 PM
How about Shia LeBouf?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFallOutBoy View Post
How about Shia LeBouf?
Isn't he contractually obligated to swear in every movie???
Old 04-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
Martin Freeman would be excellent casting. Though i don't know if he is too old by now.
Well . . . Bilbo turned 111 in the Lord of the Rings. I think they can work around Martin Freeman.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Well . . . Bilbo turned 111 in the Lord of the Rings. I think they can work around Martin Freeman.
The original Bilbo would still work fine.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
hahaha, fair enough.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Killer Interview with Guillermo on The Hobbit, Hellboy 3, Frankenstein, and more

Source:

Quote:
In unsurprising but awesome news, busy man Guillermo del Toro confirmed today some of what most fans have been expecting for a long time in regards to some role reprisals in The Hobbit by a few of our favorite actors and characters from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

According to del Toro in a BBC Radio interview with regards to The Hobbit, Hugo Weaving will again be playing Lord Elrond, Sir Ian McKellen will be back as our favorite bearded wizard, Gandalf the Grey, and last but not least, the talented Andy Serkis will be back as Gollum.

Last week, del Toro revealed that they’ve narrowed down the candidates of who will play Bilbo Baggins to just one and that we’d likely be hearing about that soon. With these casting confirmations today, and updates of the movie popping up seemingly on a weekly basis, I expect we’ll find out who our little Hobbit will be fairly soon, or at the very latest, at San Diego Comic Con next month.

The BBC Radio interview didn’t just focus on who’s playing who though, del Toro also again talked about how the films will be split up with no ‘bridge’ film, and what they’ll focus on (which we reported on last week):

There is a whole other chapter, so to speak, which is the comings and going of Gandalf which are dealt with, people that know the lore know that Gandalf was delayed with a crisis… with a character that is very shady called the Necromancer that proves to be Sauron.”

Another tidbit of info del Toro revealed is that after eight months of working on the design for Smaug the dragon, they’ve just hit on the basics of his engineering and it’ll be probably another half a year at least, before they’re able to show him off in detail.

Guillermo’s conversation with host Simon Mayo also touched on a few of his many projects listed in development. Here are some of the key points:

*Hellboy 3 is unlikely due to Ron Perlman being averse to wearing the prosthetics again.
*He’ll be producing, not directing, Jekyll and Hyde
*He’ll be directing Frankenstein and his one of his go-to guys, Doug Jones, will play the monster.
*Blade 4 with Wesley Snipes won’t happen because of legal issues between *Snipes and New Line, so del Toro won’t be directing it.

That’s it for now. Stay tuned for more updates on The Hobbit and Guillermo del Toro’s many other projects.

What do you think of these updates and are you excited to see some familiar faces returning to The Hobbit?

The first of The Hobbit films is due out in December, 2011 and the second in December, 2012.
If you want to see another article conserning it with some different details, /Film has another article over the same BBC interview: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/11/...and-much-more/

No Hellboy 3? Damnit!

I can't wait to hear who this Bilbo actor is.

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 06-12-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Quote:
When has Del Toro ever even remotely cared about that?

I wouldn't say I'm excited for this, but I'm way more intrested than I would be if Jackson was directing.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Wow its good to get back into the Tolkien Universe again.

I think your guys suggestions for Bilbo would be cool, Freeman may be a bit old but he does have the look and we all know that Bilbo realistically is more of a bumbler than an action hero type. So to see him played by the latest trendy 20 something hunk would be kind of sad, he needs character and the ability to play the goofball.

Del Toro is the man and I can't wait until we can see Smaug, was just talking about Dragonslayer the other day and that design is awesome. So if its going to be something new with elements of that it should rock. Wait what am I saying PJ is attached to this...awesomeness is assured!

Can't wait for the casting news.

Out...........................
Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Rumor is they will announce Biblo at comic con.

i fully expect these Hobbit films to be better than LotR. A lighter tone with a better filmmaker behind the camera.

As far as casting goes, i've really gotten used to Martin Freeman (Hitchhicker's Guide, original Office, Love Actually) for Biblo. Especially now, I think he is perfect. I really, really like the idea of David Tennant too. I absolutely hate the idea of James McAvory. I never minded him until Wanted, where he annoyed the crap out of me that kind of tainted his image.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 AM
I only wsh the Hobbt was done first , because t sets up Lotr so effectively , i have to admit i'm as excited about these upcoming films as anyone , but there s a lingering sense of the anticlimactic .

The Hobbit's narrative isn't as epic as Lotr's and the stakes are much lower for the characters .

Really the big battle is Laketown and Smaug's demise when he attacks the place . Then you have the battle of the 5 armies , but really these are mere setups for the events in Lotr .

It's going to be great , but , it's narrative scope is much smaller than Lotr .

No matter , i'll be there opening day for both , watching each new Lotr installment became an annual event for me and my family , this will be no different .

Just some thoughts :

Hope they get Howard Shore to compose again , it's a must .

I can hear the applause already when the Gman makes his first appearance .

One of these films will cross 1 billion worldwide .

I hope they expand on the narrative and implement elements from the Silmarillion somehow ( disappointed that they won't be doing a bridge move that takes place between the end of the hobbit and the start of Lotr .

Still think they can convince Connery to play Beorn .

Can't wait to see Laketown and the Mirkwood forest .
Old 07-18-2009, 01:57 AM

This will only be worth waiting for if they capture when Gandalf and Saruman et al go after The Necromancer(aka Sauron) at Dol Guldor in Mirkwood Forest.

What a battle.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
Rumor is they will announce Biblo at comic con.

i fully expect these Hobbit films to be better than LotR. A lighter tone with a better filmmaker behind the camera.

As far as casting goes, i've really gotten used to Martin Freeman (Hitchhicker's Guide, original Office, Love Actually) for Biblo. Especially now, I think he is perfect. I really, really like the idea of David Tennant too. I absolutely hate the idea of James McAvory. I never minded him until Wanted, where he annoyed the crap out of me that kind of tainted his image.
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you there. McAvoy is a great actor (Wanted notwithstanding), and I think he would make the best Bilbo.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
The Hobbit's narrative isn't as epic as Lotr's and the stakes are much lower for the characters .

Really the big battle is Laketown and Smaug's demise when he attacks the place . Then you have the battle of the 5 armies , but really these are mere setups for the events in Lotr .

It's going to be great , but , it's narrative scope is much smaller than Lotr .
That's actually a big reason why i'm looking forward to it more than i did with the LotR. In my opinion they overdid the stakes with LotR at points, for example (and forgive me because i suck with names in this universe) but the way they introduced that huge fucker in Return of the King seemed incredibly forced to me. They get Gandolf to say something along the lines of "Impending doom! They haven't unleashed their most vicious creature imaginable!" a five minute long tirade building up the "bad assery" of some guy only to have the daughter of the king beat it's ass in a second to have a corny 'i'm a woman!' line thrown in. For the full experience, the LotR films really beat the "impending doom" drum like a dead horse over and over again. We get it. The shit is serious. But that didn't stop Gandolf, Argorn or Frodo from widening their eyes every ten minutes and acting like they didn't have a clue as to how serious the stakes were until just that second.

I expect comedy in The Hobbit. I'd like to see the production value and attention to detail in middle earth in a capacity other than building up to the next battle sequence.