Old 03-09-2003, 10:07 PM
THE BASKET CASE TRILOGY

I have decided to start some topics for lesser talked about films on this board so I decided Basket Case would be next. I just bought the first Basket Case on dvd and after viewing it for the first time I have to say it was pretty cool. Some decent gore in there and I have to say the story was pretty original. I liked the whole idea of him carrying his brother in his basket. My only complaint is that Belial looked too fake but then again this claymation was from the early 80's so I suppose it was okay. I also enjoyed the flashback sequence. It made Belial seem like less of a monster and more of a person. I also liked the ending to the film. Its like there were no winners or losers.
Unfortunately I have not had the chance to view the sequels. I hear that part 2 picks up right where the original left off which sounds pretty cool. Once again I can only hope for a dvd box set. Has anyone seen these films and would like to comment on them?

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:27 AM
I've not seen the original, but I have wanted to see it for about a decade. Parts 2 and 3 are pretty damn entertaining, Part 2 is crazy with all the freaks, and Part 3 is even more crazy. both great crap. I love them.

Oh yeah. Ratings.

Basket Case 2 -(8/10)
Basket Case 3 - The Progeny -(7.5/10)

Last edited by The Claw; 03-10-2003 at 07:36 PM..
Old 03-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Parts 2 and 3 are played more tongue-in-cheek than the original. In that respect, the series kind of compares to the Evil Dead movies: the first one is the "serious" horror flick, while the sequels up the budgets and go more for laughs.

Regardless of whether you like the Basket Case films or not, you gotta admire the imagination and nerve it took to use what's essentially a giant wart with long pointy teeth as your main monster.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Basket Case-3.5/5
Basket Case 2-4/5
Basket Case 3: The Progeny-2.5/5

In my opinion, the sequel does a better job of balancing horror and comedy. Part 3 is just lopsided; it's too campy for its own good.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:52 PM

Hey countchocula do you think you could go into more detail about what the second one is about? There is no sign of me ever seeing it in the near future and I am kind of curious. Does it look weird that the movie takes place right after the original even though they are eight years apart? Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Duane doesn't really look eight years older. Belial's stop-motion effects have been traded in for animatronics. Overall, the film has a more polished look to it than the original. Duane and Belial are taken to a convalescence home of sorts run by Granny Ruth. They meet a slew of other "unique individuals" (freaks), and Belial is smitten for one of them. It's been about a year since I've seen it, so I don't remember any of the intricacies of the plot. You should be able to find a used copy at Amazon or Half.com.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:36 PM
from what the box cover art and plot described and such,these films look rather odd and strange.i remember being a bit weirded out by the little slimey creature on the covers.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:55 AM
i have STILL got to see the first one but i love the other 2. i thinks they are really cool fun films. i got them both on dvd and they take pride in my collection.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:20 AM

The sequels are out on dvd? Is that just for region 2 or would I be able to pick them up in the States because I haven't seen them anywhere? This, along with The Stepfather and Phantasm, is a series I really want in my dvd collection. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:40 AM
I've seen the first one, not got 2 or 3 yet.

This is one of the films that i can't really give a rating because on one level I'd give it 5/5 because its very entertainint but on another level I'd only give it 2.5/5 because the acting is at times terrible, especially people in the hotel and the female doctor.....

It's got decent stop motion effects, not as much gore as i was let to believe was in it, the leads acting is very good and its got an interesting, if weird, story

I'll rate it on the enjoyment level and give it

5/5
Old 05-15-2003, 12:16 PM
I've never seen the second one. I don't just mean haven't-seen-the-movie-yet I mean I've never even seen a copy in either DVD or VHS for sale or rent. It's just that rare! As for the first one, I own it and think it's pretty good. I saw it with a bunch of friends and we laughed alot! I thought that blonde girl and the female doctor we're both hot.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Basket Case 2 (all of them really) is easy to find especially if you want to buy a previously viewed one. I saw BC2(VHS) for $2.00 on half.com. Check out amazon.com as well as ebay.com

Oh yah, I loved the first name (see handle..hehe) but I couldn't stand the sequels. I thought the first one was trying to be scary/gory, while the sequels came off as comedic.

-Belial.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by teenkiller
The sequels are out on dvd? Is that just for region 2 or would I be able to pick them up in the States because I haven't seen them anywhere?
R2. But as Belial said, the sequels are easy to find on the web.

Last edited by countchocula; 05-15-2003 at 06:52 PM..
Old 05-18-2003, 02:33 PM
The first one has a special place in my heart....the effects were cheap but the movie was just a whole lot of fun.

I lvoed the sequel, the higher budget helped and they did blend comedy and horror quite nicely. The movie just looked better and I think that helped. It also made Belial look less a villian and more just a "kid" who didn't fit in trying to grow up.

I didn't really care for the third one as much though, it had the camp, fun, etc. but just seemed a little...boring...

I would really lvoe to seen Frank Hennenlotter(?) make more movies, I liked the Basket Case trilogy and one of my favorite camp classics "Frankenhooker".

Come back Frank! The cheese loving horror public misses you!
Old 05-18-2003, 02:41 PM

Ahh if only he would come back to do Basket Case 4. It's been a long time so I think a new chapter would be fun to look forward to. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SykkBoy
Come back Frank! The cheese loving horror public misses you!
Oh, but he is...

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...ight=sick+head
Old 05-28-2003, 09:20 AM

I liked Basket Case 1 & 2 but could not dig the third so much, I did like the mechanical belial scene that was far out! A good series overall...
Old 05-28-2003, 01:15 PM
I remember the first one from way back in the day.... Unfortunately, every video store in the area has either scrapped their copies of all three or they have gone missing....

Anyone selling their old copies of any in the series? Heh heh...
Old 05-28-2003, 08:48 PM
i like all 3 of the basket case movies..
i own part 1 on DVD but i cant find parts 2 or 3 anywhere, anymore..

i remember the part i thought was the coolest was when the freaks where revolting
Old 05-28-2003, 08:58 PM
I got 2 & 3 on DVD in a bargain bin at a local electronics chain that my flatmate used to work for. They are decent transfers - but have no extras, but Im not complaining cos I got them cheap as! (I also got Frankenhooker, Maniac Cop & Alice Sweet Alice from the same bin on the same day )

I think they are both pretty cool. Definitely more polished than the original. It took me two tries to get though the first one, but now having seen it three or four times, I appreciate it more.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SykkBoy
The first one has a special place in my heart....the effects were cheap but the movie was just a whole lot of fun.

Amen to that brother! I adored this movie. I remember when the ads came out in the local paper (it was only showing at one art-house but it was held over for awhile. I use to clip the ads out and save them. I wasn't old enough to see this on my own and I couldn't convince my family to take me so I had to settle for seeing it when it 1st hit video.

I had to actually SHOW it to my grandmother to convince her it wasn't really a sick disgusting movie. She was afraid my little brother and I - we were just in our preteens - were watching something satanic and gorey. I really felt for Belial and I remember telling her it really was just a good old fashioned story about being misunderstood. Granted, she didn't have much to say to after the showing. She just nodded in agreement and let us continue to rent our horror movies. Now I know why she later wondered if I needed help.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:07 AM
I just watched the original, while Duane was a bit annoying, it was a damn good movie. Cheaply made but thats why it was so great. the Dialouge was priceless. Great movie. Also, the sequels are rocking too.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:37 PM
I just got the original on DVD. A classic fun 80s gore film. Cool fxs and interesting characters, but cheap lighting.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 PM

Giving a bump for the Basket Case fans. Unfortunately I STILL haven't seen the sequels. I do think the original is a pretty underrated movie though. Seems to be quite the forgotten gem. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:33 AM

Looks like I might be picking up Basket Case 2 tomorrow. The off the wall mayhem continues... Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Basket Case 2 is definitely my favourite of the trilogy, some crazy shit, i also really liked part 3, both damn good fun
Old 05-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Basket Case is a great splatter flick that delivers in the gore department for sure.

Basket Case 2 and 3 (espeically 3) are so goofy and campy that couldn't help but have fun.

All 3 are great flicks IMO.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:22 PM

Well after all these years I finally managed to watch Basket Case 2. There were things that I did and did not like and overall I just thought the film was mediocre.

It was nice to see that VanHentenryck shed a lot of his excess hair. He went from reminding me of an 80's rock star to reminding me of Jack Nance in Eraserhead. His acting hadn't really improved any since the original though.

I liked the issues Duane was struggling with. Leaving his brother, trying to cope with and move on from the events of the past, dealing with his newfound love, considering himself to be abnormal in a house frequented with "unique individuals". Made him a more interesting character.

Belial on the other hand... well Belial still looks cheesy. I don't have a problem with that though as it is to be expected. What I had a problem with is that he is given more of the limelight in this outing. I felt it was a bad decision and that he should have remained in the basket for most of his scenes as it really was a great device.

I also find it interesting that the film picks up right where the original left off. I always like when films do that (H/H2, F13 2/3/4). The fact that they were on the lam was a fun way to pursue things but I don't like how the story was executed. Granny Ruth's House of Freaks just did not cut it for me. Having Belial is one thing. I can do with one cheesy monster but not ten. I mean none of them look scary. It all seemed rather kid friendly. I only imagine in BC 3 that the series will become more like Army of Darkness. Not a good thing in my book.

It had it's ups and downs so overall I have to rate the film a 5/10.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:49 PM

Something I appreciated about Basket Case 2, although I didn't realize it until I thought about it, was the portrayal of Granny Ruth. When I first heard about her and heard that BC 2 was a little more focused on the humor I thought she was going to be played as a sort of "out there" nutjob. Kind of like the aunt from Sleepaway Camp. I liked that she was more down to earth than I was expecting. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Another bump because nearly seven years after starting this thread I have finally gotten around to seeing Basket Case 3. I have finally completed the trilogy but am sad to say that Henenlotter should have probably quit after the first one. I didn't like that by the third film the series had become the Granny Ruth and Freaks show. There wasn't enough action focusing on Duane and Belial. If my memory serves me correctly Belial is barely even in the first half hour of the film. To make things worse all the other freaks SUCK! It was almost like they were trying to appeal to a younger audience which wouldn't have worked anyway because of the kind of material they were dealing with. The musical number on the bus... very embarassing.

Henenlotter has said that he was basically writing the script while shooting the film. It shows. It just feels weak, even by the standards of Basket Case 2. Frank has pretty much disowned the film and has declared it the worst thing he's ever released. If I hadn't watched Bad Biology earlier today I might have agreed. Ouch! A bad day for this Henenlotter fan...

Old 12-06-2009, 04:14 AM
I think I was half asleep when I watched the sequels, I hardly remember them AND I can't find the original to get on DVD as it is a guilty pleasure film for sure, it is so terrible but I enjoy it because of that. They always seem to have the sequels and I have no idea if I should bite the bullet and invest in them or not. Why can't they just sell a three-pack??? Arg!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:14 PM
i really enjoyed the original. 4/5

saw the sequel just days later and it basically felt like more of the same. i actually don't remember anything about it because it never got my attention, but i'll check out the 3rd one eventually
Old 12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Part 3 had this terrible cover!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Glad I finally saw it

watching the original as we speak, really dig the story. The effects are dated, but still charming in their own right. One of the best concepts as far as the back story of Duane, and Belile go. Disturbing and even kind of sad when you think about it. Can't wait to see the other two. Just wish the Blu ray metal box set was easier to come by. Hopefully it will be in the near future. Awesome article bout the series in Fangoria this month also that made me wanna see it after all this time. Cult Horror at its best