Old 12-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Arbitrage Review

Overall, I thought it was very good...and only hollywoodized egregiously in a few areas. But, you know that you can't escape any film involving wall street without at least 1 mind numbingly awful creative license/short cut. Actually, in this case it was a legal issue.

I thought they hired a decent consultant on the finance jargon. There were some nice plugs for CNBC also. But they didn't feel out of place.

This film frustrated me a lot, but in a good way for the most part....as life is frustrating! Argh....I'll save the spoilers for the next post. Overall, this is a definite recommend.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 PM
spoiler review

*spoiler review/discussion*

I loved this movie but hated it at the same time. It frustrated me because life is frustrating.

The frustrations:

First, the Jimmy Grant character was a bit too noble...lol. In real life he doesn't philosophize...he takes the money and leaves. Also, 1/3 of black men do time in prison at some point in their lives. it's not because they are black.

Second, I'm pretty sure in the grand jury phase both sides see all the evidence that will be presented. There are no surprises. I hate it when Hollywood does this shocking new evidence thing...as if we haven't watched at least 100 episodes of Law and Order by now.

Third, the cops wouldn't have falsified that evidence given the attorney on the other side of the table, perhaps with a public defender.

Fourth, I hate how the wife always wins in the end. But this is realistic. Most men don't realize the perils of marriage. If they want all of your money after divorcing then they or the lawyers will get it. Not always, but just remember that they can if they want. That is how the system works for successful men. It is a system designed to transfer wealth from men to women, from productive to unproductive. You won't believe me because you are na´ve. Please do some research before getting married.

Five, I watched this movie for Brit Marling, mostly. She was okay, but not great in this. She said her lines well enough though. Perhaps, I just wanted more of her in this and was annoyed when I didn't get it! I didn't like the angles they were filming her at. She looks best when filmed from the front, not in profile. I think she wasn't in great shape for this film either.

Last edited by markbot; 12-21-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Formulaic, cliched, and dull IMO. This film was average at best. Nothing in this genre has come close to Gordon Gekko and it looks like nothing will.

What pisses me off about all these flicks since Wall St. is how Hollywood wants to paint these sociopaths as sympathetic family types. Like we are supposed to feel sorry for them even though they are nothing but glorified used car salesman with no ethics because they have a family.

I call bullshit. At least Stone had the balls to portray Gekko as a straight scumbag who doesn't care for anyone but himself. I realize it is tough to get a movie made in Hollywood if the character aren't likable. But this shits starting to get on my nerves.

I am hoping Scorsese doesn't sell out like this with Wolf of Wall Street. I am hoping he paints these characters as the scum they are, I am hoping he still has the juice to do what he wants and not go soft. But I am skeptical.

To me, Arbitrage is a 6/10 at best only because the production value is high and the actors were good.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
Formulaic, cliched, and dull IMO. This film was average at best. Nothing in this genre has come close to Gordon Gekko and it looks like nothing will.

What pisses me off about all these flicks since Wall St. is how Hollywood wants to paint these sociopaths as sympathetic family types. Like we are supposed to feel sorry for them even though they are nothing but glorified used car salesman with no ethics because they have a family.

I call bullshit. At least Stone had the balls to portray Gekko as a straight scumbag who doesn't care for anyone but himself. I realize it is tough to get a movie made in Hollywood if the character aren't likable. But this shits starting to get on my nerves.

I am hoping Scorsese doesn't sell out like this with Wolf of Wall Street. I am hoping he paints these characters as the scum they are, I am hoping he still has the juice to do what he wants and not go soft. But I am skeptical.

To me, Arbitrage is a 6/10 at best only because the production value is high and the actors were good.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you here. I think it is better to make dishonest wall streeters seem human in these movies. They are human beings...with light and dark aspects. I know it makes it easier for people to just raise their taxes and steal their money if they think they are all pure evil...but in reality they are just like anyone else in terms of morality. Your average mom & pop probably breaks more tax laws than a fortune 500 company or wall street banker.