Old 06-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Top 5 Scariest Films

What's everyone's scariest films? I know I don't think a horror film is good unless it scares me, so I could call this top 5 horror movies I suppose.

1. The Blair Witch Project
2. Paranormal Activity
3. Insidious
4. The Mist
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street
Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Any foreign horror film, especially the Japanese ones, will scare the shit out of me.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Nightmare's On Elm Bridge

Nightmare on Elm street scared me when i was younger , I lived on a street called Elm Bridge
lol being a kid i remember the tv scene Ahhhhh remember not sleeping for a few nights after watching that .
Old 12-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Eyes Without A Face
The Brood
The Exorcist
Cujo
Ringu
Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Based on actually scaring me

A Nightmare on Elm Street (original)
The Descent
IT
Event Horizon
Jacob's Ladder

Based on being good horror film

Rosemary's Baby
Cabin in the Woods
The Exorcist
The Thing
The Shining
Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 AM
I can't say I've ever really been scared by a movie (I don't think it's an emotion that really transfers to film well, as opposed to, say, sadness). Films can I think create an excellent atmosphere for the horror mood, though.

But I'd say (for me!) under Jig Saw's criteria

Based on being good horror film

1. Rosemary's Baby
2. The Shining
3. Suspiria
4. The Exorcist
5. The Mist
Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
My favourites:

-The Blair Witch Project
-Paranormal Activity
-The Exorcist
-The Shining

I'd also like to add "The Cell" to this list, even though it's more of a psychological thriller really. Just for the fucked up imagery & Vincent D'Onofrio's sick-ass character!

Coupla others along those lines would be like Hard Candy & One Hour Photo. Funny Games is a brutal fucking flick as well!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Psycho
Carrie
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Bride of Chucky
The Craft
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Am I like the only person on this planet who didn't find The Shining scary at all? That awesome eerie opening certainly had potential, but that's about it.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Am I like the only person on this planet who didn't find The Shining scary at all? That awesome eerie opening certainly had potential, but that's about it.
I mean it depends on what you mean by scary. I didn't find it scary at all, but then again I've never found a film scary. That said, I think it does a magnificent job of creating an atmosphere of, I don't know what you want to call it, percolating possibility for horror?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I put it on there for it's atmosphere. Fucking awesome atmosphere and a great story. The idea itself, the realistic possibility for it happening, is quite scary to me.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I mean it depends on what you mean by scary. I didn't find it scary at all, but then again I've never found a film scary. That said, I think it does a magnificent job of creating an atmosphere of, I don't know what you want to call it, percolating possibility for horror?
So does Suspiria; but yeah, that one really doesn't scare me either.

I'd say the mathematical formula for scary is quite complicated. On the one hand; yes, an eerie atmosphere helps. Is it a prime requisite? I do not think so; but it definitely helps. Having something menacing be believable is, I think, key. Not only that; but you have to redefine evil, or more pointedly, show evil in a way that hasn't been seen before. You also have to somehow effect the viewer's empathy with the horrors that are going on. Having stupid sorority girls sinking in quicksand doesn't really accomplish this.

But the viewer's own empathy turned against the viewer and the redefining of evil("Oh my god! I didn't think that something[or someone] could be capable of such evil!") all while making it believable is I believe, the cardinal rule. But like I said; this isn't simple and universal and certainly isn't universal in the 5 films i chose. But instinctively, it should be simple. Yet it isn't. So we overcomplicate it and thus muddle up the works. This confusion is probably why we have so few genuinely scary films today.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
I put it on there for it's atmosphere. Fucking awesome atmosphere and a great story. The idea itself, the realistic possibility for it happening, is quite scary to me.
Could you be more specific? I mean(I know I should read the book) what the hell actually happened?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM
The one's I find the most unnerving ...

1. The Wicker Man
2. Rosemary's Baby
3. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
4. Don't Look Now
5. The Innocents

Last edited by viceus; 07-17-2013 at 08:42 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Could you be more specific? I mean(I know I should read the book) what the hell actually happened?
The guy clearly lost his sanity over the course of the movie due to (or maybe not due) to the environment in which they were. Turning on his family, not giving a fuck. Pretty crazy!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
The guy clearly lost his sanity over the course of the movie due to (or maybe not due) to the environment in which they were. Turning on his family, not giving a fuck. Pretty crazy!
It just didn't work for me from a horror perspective. A lot of it was pretty comical as Jack became unhinged.

To me, The Stepfather(1987) was more frightening in this respect.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM
In no order.

The Shining
The Thing
Alien
Hellraiser
The Exorcist
An American Werewolf in London

These 6 films (sorry but 5 wasn't enough) freaked me the fuck out when I was a kid..I should also probably add The Texas Chainsaw Massacre up there as well
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM
1- Halloween
and nothing's come close until about a year ago with The Strangers. It's too easy to see why but it worked.
Spoiler:

As a child
Child's Play II
and um.... Jurassic Park II in the movie theater.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 PM
1.Halloween(1978)

2.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(1974)

3.The Exorcist

4.The Shining

5.Halloween 2(1980)
Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingdeadlover View Post
5.Halloween 2(1980)
That's a really good choice. That scared the hell outta me when I saw it for the first time as a kid late one night on TV. There's something quite unnerving about being chased by someone trying to kill you while you're injured in a hospital.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Movies that really fucked with me and kinda freaked me out...

1. Rec
2. Rosemary's Baby
3. The Descent
4. High Tension
5. The Hills Have Eyes (remake)

Honorable mention: Them