Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Films about actions having a ripple effect / consequences on someone's life

So I've watched Looper a week or so ago and...

Spoiler:
the scene where Joe sacrifices himself because of the realization where "Then I saw it, I saw a mom who would die for her son, a man who would kill for his wife, a boy, angry & alone, laid out in front of him the bad path. I saw it & the path was a circle, round & round. So I changed it."

really I thought it was poignant. I've always been interested in the subject matter this explores, both in life and in films - and I know I've seen films about it. One that's particularly close that deals with this theme is also Butterfly Effect. However I've seen more films that deal with a theme where certain actions affect one's life, or even repeat themselves. Like that idea of an abusive parent that abuses his kids because it was done to him, so he takes it out on someone else.

I'm interested in films that explore this, and I wanted to get a list going. Films that may have this theme be the main theme, such as Butterfly Effect, or which use it as a form of a subtext.

Post away.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM
One thing that strikes me along these lines is in No Country For Old Men, where Llewelyn's single act of merciful kindness - ironically enough - is singularly responsible for all the death and tragedy that follows in that movie. I loved that little twist of fate so much I borrowed the notion for the inciting incident in my own western script. This concept doesn't really come with any self-realization on the character's part, it's more for us as viewers, but I think it's fitting here.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Run Lola Run, or, in its German title, Lola Rent.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Cloud Atlas was the first thing that came to mind. I'd definitely recommend checking it out while it's still in theaters if you haven't had the chance, I enjoyed it a whole lot.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
21 Grams.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
21 Grams.
Yes! Definitely one of my favorites. Amores Perros as well, for that matter.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Does Lock, Stock count?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:34 PM
A Sound of Thunder :P
Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 AM
One could argue the Matrix trilogy.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Basically any movie involving time travel or, in the case of Frequency, which doesn't involve time travel but involves contacting the past.

Also the movie Affliction. And Crash.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Requiem For a Dream
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Ilovemovies gave a great one when he said Affliction, because it's not one of the more obvious “Hyperlink” films. It's not multilinear; it's about the next generations being affected by the curses of the earlier ones. Check it out if you haven't; typical dark Paul Schrader film.

Altman has always been known for making movies about the interrelationships among several characters, particularly in MASH, Nashville, Short Cuts and Gosford Park. But Inarritu is a more consistent filmmaker, I think, because he's only made 4 films and they're all masterpieces, and all share in common the theme of interconnectedness and separate stories being slowly revealed as related by some event or character in common.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM
11:14
Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
Ilovemovies gave a great one when he said Affliction, because it's not one of the more obvious “Hyperlink” films. It's not multilinear; it's about the next generations being affected by the curses of the earlier ones. Check it out if you haven't; typical dark Paul Schrader film.

Altman has always been known for making movies about the interrelationships among several characters, particularly in MASH, Nashville, Short Cuts and Gosford Park. But Inarritu is a more consistent filmmaker, I think, because he's only made 4 films and they're all masterpieces, and all share in common the theme of interconnectedness and separate stories being slowly revealed as related by some event or character in common.
Good point on Innaritu, I agree. I think he's stuck in the depression loop, but he explores some realistic themes which are pretty fucking bleak.

Affliction has been on my to see list forever, I'm going to finally check it out now.