Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Official Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread

Official Site

Anyone waiting for this next installment of the Elder Scrolls series? Some of the interesting things i've read/seen so far are things like the game will be using a brand new engine which means hopefully stuff won't be to glitchy. Also there will be things like dual wielding (as seen in Pic 3) where you can now have more then one weapon drawn, have a weapon and a spell in each hand or even have 2 different spells ready.

I unfortunately didn't get into Oblivion as much as i did Morrowind but hopefully this one will be really good. I'm liking the Nord setting for this one as i've always seemed to create Nord characters for some reason.

Anyone else seen/heard much on this?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I can't wait for this game. Along with Mass Effect 3, this will be a Day 1 purchase for sure. Everything they've shown so far has blown me away. Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time so I'm definitely very intrigued by this. If the trailers are any indication, it should blow all other Elder Scrolls games out of the water (which is saying a helluva lot).
Old 03-01-2011, 04:34 PM
i just hope they fix the view/spawn distance in this one from Oblivion. I got really annoyed that i could set my view distance beyond things spawning. Like i'd be running through the woods but it would look like a grassy field from a distance only to have trees appearing out of fuckin nowhere cause i finally got close enough for them to spawn.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
I can't believe I didn't make this thread. I must be slipping.

Regardless, I am really looking forward to Skyrim, all the improvements seem to be a great step forward from Oblivion, while reintroducing some of the wonder of Morrowind. The greatest change will be the land of Skyrim itself, as while I can still play Morrowind and revel in how beautiful and imaginative it is, Oblivion looks like dull medieval fantasy after a long while. Radiant Story seems like it will go a long way toward replay value, something in which Oblivion was seriously lacking. I feel like I'm playing the same game over and over with Oblivion, whereas Morrowind (and seemingly Skyrim) feel like a new game each time.
The other thing I'm excited about is story wise, with Oblivion, you were more just the "fetcher" (hee, insider jokes) getting stuff for the important guys. Skyrim is a return to Morrowind where YOU are the important character, which I greatly missed.

One thing has to be left behind from Oblivion that hasn't been mentioned yet: the tutorial dungeon. Yes, I know you can create a save right before you leave to not have to play through it every time, but I shouldn't have to. It was annoying and unnecessary.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 AM
This is shaping up very nicely. I enjoyed Oblivion, though I have not even come anywhere close to scratching the core of that game...it's just so immersive.

One thing that MUST be changed in this installment is to please PLEASE for the love of god, be able to sell stolen merch anywhere. I don't care if the developers make it so that the merchandise can only be sold in towns other than the town it was stolen from, but please, no thieves guild only.

I do hope they tweak the combat so that it doesn't feel so rigid and one-dimensional, and being able to build a stable of characters to follow you on your quest such a wizard, elf, warrior, thief, etc. would be really cool.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
My Spring Break is next week and Skyrim has caused me to want to revisit Oblivion all over again. So that's what my week will be full of. Can't wait to re-immerse myself.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
The creatures are going to be so awesome in this game I can just tell. Did you see that giant spider! So nice! The lighting effects look outstanding.

It looks like hunting plays a part in the trailer, and I hope it has a role bigger than it did in Oblivion. The atmosphere of the forests, and mountains make a great landscape for a hunting aspect.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah the game is definitely looking amazing so far. It will be interesting to see what improvements this new physics engine can bring to the table, wouldn't be awesome if you could do things like climb trees or scale walls and the like? Talk about immersion

I hope they get rid of the enemies lvling with you that they had in Oblivion. There should just be a scale of easy to kill to super hard to kill and each creature falls into this spectrum and doesn't change. The most annoying thing for me in Oblivion (aside from the lock picking mini game) was having trouble with say a handful of creature, leaving to lvl your skills a bit then come back and all of a sudden these same creatures are casting shield spells and shit!

I used to think that enemy lvling was a nice mechanic but i've discovered that it either makes the game too hard or too easy depending on your understanding of the game. For example FFVIII uses an enemy lvling system but as long as you know how to properly build your Junctions there is not a single difficult battle left in the game.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 AM
This doesn't have the scaling system of Oblivion - Thank god. The scaling made the whole game so pointless, that I stopped playing it 1/5 through. I only came back a year later when I heard about the mods that allowed you to remove the scaling. In fact, when I applied roughly 10 major mods to Oblivion, it became the *best* RPG I've ever played. A completely different experience from the vanilla version.

Skyrim does have a scaling system, but it's similar to New Vegas, where it's so smartly used that you aren't really even aware of it.

The game looks amazing. With this, Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex 3, Dragon Age 2, etc, 2011 looks like the greatest year for RPG's ever. So far I've already enjoyed Two Worlds 2 quite a lot, and that's one of the small titles of the year.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 PM
The Elder Scrolls is my favorite game franchise of all time. You bet your ass I'm psyched for Skyrim. I'm gonna preorder the highest edition of the game. I don't care how much it costs.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Some new screens were posted up on Gamespot.

Jheeeeeze this game is looking pretty
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
This doesn't have the scaling system of Oblivion - Thank god. The scaling made the whole game so pointless, that I stopped playing it 1/5 through. I only came back a year later when I heard about the mods that allowed you to remove the scaling. In fact, when I applied roughly 10 major mods to Oblivion, it became the *best* RPG I've ever played. A completely different experience from the vanilla version.

Skyrim does have a scaling system, but it's similar to New Vegas, where it's so smartly used that you aren't really even aware of it.

Finally someone who agrees with me about how the scaling ruined the entire game. I HATED that game because of it and stopped playing a couple hours in.

I never thought of using mods to get rid of it though.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
I didn't mind the scaling but I hated the leveling system. I'm so OCD that I had to track my skill points so I could get a perfect level with 5 new attribute points each time. Took forever and was such a pain in the ass keeping track of that stuff while trying to play. I prefer Fallout 3 style where everything you do gives you experience points.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I didn't mind the scaling but I hated the leveling system. I'm so OCD that I had to track my skill points so I could get a perfect level with 5 new attribute points each time. Took forever and was such a pain in the ass keeping track of that stuff while trying to play. I prefer Fallout 3 style where everything you do gives you experience points.
Yeah i was kind of annoyed at the complexity of the lvling system in both Morrowind and Oblivion. Having to you the minor skills you selected between lvl's so that you get more pts to spend on the attached attribute when you actually lvl'd (which took 10 major skills improving ) was one of the downsides to the game for me.

Heh i recall playing Morrowind and just running around casting a healing spell anytime i had mana just so i could improve my healing was effing brutal!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Yeah i was kind of annoyed at the complexity of the lvling system in both Morrowind and Oblivion. Having to you the minor skills you selected between lvl's so that you get more pts to spend on the attached attribute when you actually lvl'd (which took 10 major skills improving ) was one of the downsides to the game for me.

Heh i recall playing Morrowind and just running around casting a healing spell anytime i had mana just so i could improve my healing was effing brutal!
It really took me out of the game, I still haven't finished it. If it had a leveling system like Fallout 3, I would have lost hundreds of hours in Oblivion already. I have it on the PS3 so I can't use any mods to change it.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
..Skyrim does have a scaling system, but it's similar to New Vegas, where it's so smartly used that you aren't really even aware of it.

The game looks amazing. With this, Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex 3, Dragon Age 2, etc, 2011 looks like the greatest year for RPG's ever. So far I've already enjoyed Two Worlds 2 quite a lot, and that's one of the small titles of the year.
Two Worlds II is definitely underrated. I played it for the 360 and enjoyed it much more than the reviewers. It's a decent game for a port, though i can tell it plays much better on a PC. There were a handful of moments that actually had me and some friends laughing out loud, some intentional some not, still pretty enjoyable. The whole Last Crusade bit was funny and seeing the movie made it easier to get past that dungeon, haha..

Definitely worth playing if not just to hold you over till Skyrim, which is looking to be a great RPG, probably the best of the year. It's too bad there's no multiplayer this time around, it's the obvious next step for Bethesda. I just think it's a great idea because as someone who isn't that into MMO's, at least not any of the ones out right now, I actually want to play an Elderscrolls multiplayer game. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be a massive multiplayer with thousands of players on one server, though an MMO of that calibre would be badass. I've played WOW and LOTRO and thought they were kinda boring, cause lets face their nothing but bigger versions of 6th generation games. I'd rather play Oblivion a hundred times through, but if Bethesda came out with an MMORPG Elderscrolls game or a simplified multiplayer, I would be all over it for moons!

All I know is my bandmates are going to be pissed when skyrim comes out, we'll all be too busy flying with dragons and hoarding dungeons to record anything. Hopefully, at the very least it will inspire some kickass jams.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criminal Rock View Post
Two Worlds II is definitely underrated. I played it for the 360 and enjoyed it much more than the reviewers. It's a decent game for a port, though i can tell it plays much better on a PC. There were a handful of moments that actually had me and some friends laughing out loud, some intentional some not, still pretty enjoyable. The whole Last Crusade bit was funny and seeing the movie made it easier to get past that dungeon, haha..

Definitely worth playing if not just to hold you over till Skyrim, which is looking to be a great RPG, probably the best of the year. It's too bad there's no multiplayer this time around, it's the obvious next step for Bethesda. I just think it's a great idea because as someone who isn't that into MMO's, at least not any of the ones out right now, I actually want to play an Elderscrolls multiplayer game. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be a massive multiplayer with thousands of players on one server, though an MMO of that calibre would be badass. I've played WOW and LOTRO and thought they were kinda boring, cause lets face their nothing but bigger versions of 6th generation games. I'd rather play Oblivion a hundred times through, but if Bethesda came out with an MMORPG Elderscrolls game or a simplified multiplayer, I would be all over it for moons!

All I know is my bandmates are going to be pissed when skyrim comes out, we'll all be too busy flying with dragons and hoarding dungeons to record anything. Hopefully, at the very least it will inspire some kickass jams.
There is just too much to the Elderscrolls to make them multiplayer i think. You could maybe do it on the console versions but just having the the Game Editor on the PC versions would make it impossible.

The could probably pull off a Diablo 2 type of multiplayer maybe. Up to 4 ppl in the same game and then you'd just have to make sure you had all the same mods maybe?

An MMO would never work as they would have to dumb down the graphics so more ppl could play it.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 PM
eh.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
eh.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
That was my second draft of an earlier post about how I really, really think mmos are absolutely patently terrible in too many ways, and that I never want Elder Scrolls to succumb to what I consider to be a money grab. If people honestly think mmos are worth their time, that's their judgment and they have every right to have it, but I think they're without merit. Just a gross waste of time.

Skyrim looks really good. Don't know if I'll get to play it for a while because my computer is terrible and I don't have any consoles, but I'm sure I'll get around to it when I have some downtime.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
That was my second draft of an earlier post about how I really, really think mmos are absolutely patently terrible in too many ways, and that I never want Elder Scrolls to succumb to what I consider to be a money grab. If people honestly think mmos are worth their time, that's their judgment and they have every right to have it, but I think they're without merit. Just a gross waste of time.

Skyrim looks really good. Don't know if I'll get to play it for a while because my computer is terrible and I don't have any consoles, but I'm sure I'll get around to it when I have some downtime.
Well this could be argued about video games in general. The real problems with MMO's is that the multi player bit is in every part of the game that is worth while and in a lot of cases you need several other ppl online to do these things. So it becomes a job of sorts cause you gotta be there how ever many nights you play.

Newer MMO's have tried to keep this from happening by either reducing the amount of ppl you need (Wow has gone from 40 to 25/10 man raids over the years) or providing more 'single player' type content.

The only thing they have ever been good for though is getting hour of entertainment for not a whole lot of cash. But aside form that they are usually cess pools of human idiocy.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Video games inherently cannot be a waste of time. That's a completely invalid criticism. If you find them to be not your cup of a tea then that's fine, not everyone loves the same thing.

As far as MMOs being a money grab... that's also an bad argument considering I've payed 60 dollars for single player games that I've beaten in 8 hours of playtime. How the hell is that not a way way way worse money grab?

I do agree with your initial argument however, bringing Elder Scrolls to the mmo platform would be a terrible idea. Elder Scrolls is one of the few quality games left that fill a rather large single player RPG void in the market for the past few years.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Video games inherently cannot be a waste of time. That's a completely invalid criticism. If you find them to be not your cup of a tea then that's fine, not everyone loves the same thing.
Well the idea that every video game is a waste of time is more that ourside of improving hand eye coordination you gain nothing from playing a video game. It doesn't better or improve your situation in life unless you play way too much and win one of those MLG tournaments

But it is a very thin argument.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I was going to mention that what I posted could be argued for the medium in general but didn't consider it relevant due to that being something only someone who's never played even a good game would argue. It's a desert out there to find something truly great in this medium, granted, but something great in this medium is as valuable anything great in another medium. Anyone who tries to delegitimize the medium is delegitimizing their own voice.

It boils down to this for me: Of course, The Elder Scrolls is about as big a time sink as any game is, but I consider Bethesda's quality of production and world-building skills impressive and worthwhile. It being a complete product allows this. An MMO is a breathing product that is designed not to give one player a great experience but thousands of players mechanical, tedious drone experiences. I know BioWare is trying to change this, but to be honest, I consider the concept of trying to craft a meaningful story-driven experience in a massively multiplayer format broken from the get-go. They're trying to stuff a square peg into the triangle hole. It doesn't fucking work.

Anyway, Max von Sydow ftw. fucking yeahh.

Last edited by Dutchman; 04-07-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Old 04-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Hand off Preview from Gamespot

There is a vid with game director Todd Howard and he talks about some of the changes like dual wielding and the addition of Perks to the lvling system.

Also, some new screens:

Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM
The graphics are pretty amazing, when you consider the fact that this is an open world game with very interactive environments.

Man, with this and Witcher 2, I'm gonna be a happy RPG-gamer this year.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Couldn't resist and went and picked up my new gaming PC, this game can't come out fast enough now!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:03 AM
I don't know how to feel about the Elder Scrolls series. When I see it and read about it, it seems like everything I could ever want in a game. But then I play it, well Morrowind and Oblivion at least, and its never quite as great as I thought it was going to be. Technically, these games are masterpieces. But as games, I wish they were a little more easy to pick up and play. For someone who doesn't have hours a day to put into a game this series is just too dang difficult to get into.

The more I look at this game the more likely I think it is that I will buy it, but maybe not right away.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight81 View Post
I don't know how to feel about the Elder Scrolls series. When I see it and read about it, it seems like everything I could ever want in a game. But then I play it, well Morrowind and Oblivion at least, and its never quite as great as I thought it was going to be. Technically, these games are masterpieces. But as games, I wish they were a little more easy to pick up and play. For someone who doesn't have hours a day to put into a game this series is just too dang difficult to get into.
The complexity of these games is both a curse and a blessing, depending on your taste. They are designed for hardcore gaming - Meaning that you spend several hours a day playing them.

I get what you're saying - But these kind of open world RPG's are what they are: Very time-consuming, and kinda difficult to get into, if you don't have much previous experience with them.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Quote:
The complexity of these games is both a curse and a blessing, depending on your taste. They are designed for hardcore gaming - Meaning that you spend several hours a day playing them.

I get what you're saying - But these kind of open world RPG's are what they are: Very time-consuming, and kinda difficult to get into, if you don't have much previous experience with them.
Yeah I see what you're saying and if they made them easier to get into then they probably wouldn't be as satisfying for the hardcore gamer. But man, I look at those screenshots and I just want to play it so damn bad. Maybe I'll just have to give up golf for a few months.

Last edited by DarkKnight81; 05-09-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 PM
So they are putting out the GotY edition of Oblivion and offering $10 off Skyrim with it

It's almost worth it to get the $10 off Skyrim but Oblivion was just too much to get into. Also i have a copy of it for PC somewhere but i can't find the disks
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
looks incredible! the detail, i am a believer!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Really impressive stuff. Truly on a whole different level than everything else I've seen.

Play very little these days, but Bethesda and Valve keep me from abandoning the medium altogether. Still fun to be had. Might buy a 360 for this.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Really impressive stuff. Truly on a whole different level than everything else I've seen.

Play very little these days, but Bethesda and Valve keep me from abandoning the medium altogether. Still fun to be had. Might buy a 360 for this.
I know what you mean. I've only recently gotten myself out of the idea of buying new games even though i have no time to play them. Last one was 007 Bloodstone at christmas and i've probably played all of 30 minutes of it. It's in no way a bad game but i just can't find the time while trying to finish New Vegas and still playing NHL11.

I still play games but certain games always seem to dominate so no matter how interesting something like L.A. Noire might be i now refuse to get it cause i'll never fit it in, lol.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I cannot wait for this game!
I loved Morrowind and while Oblivion wasn't as great i still liked it.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Some E3 stuff on Skyrim

Some interesting stuff in here. I like the idea that each community has its own set of jobs to do so taht you aren't doing the same crap in each town.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU

13-minute gameplay video. Probably running on console, so the PC version should look even better...

Last edited by Tuukka; 06-08-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I must buy this!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM

That extended demo is even better.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Amazing that these demos are running on the 360...on PC it will likely look a lot more sharper.