Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Help Needed: come and display ur superior film knowledge and help me in the process!!

hi all,

first time posting and i thought id start by calling on your vast film knowledge (well...most of you it seems!)

I am drawing up plans for a film project but have encountered a brain fart trying to find good examples of the following:

literary film adaptations (book to film) that challenge (to varying extents) their source text.

One option I am considering is Starship Troopers which many would argue is a satire of the very ideology the source text hopes to instill in its readers, but I am having trouble coming up with further examples.

SO BASICALLY: Can you name any films which question/challenge/mock the literary text they are adapting??!!

Big thanks for your help, haven't been on any forums for a long time but am looking to find a good one once again, this place looks good
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Le Procès/The Trial (1962)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Last edited by Gordon; 12-07-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 AM

Dr Strangelove is a great example and thanks for the heads up on Who Framed Roger Rabbit, am just now falling down the internet rabbit hole, finding out about the adaptation process on that film.

A clockwork orange - petty but I do not want to try and read the book again even if it is perfect for my wants!

am curious to hear why you feel The Trial should stand as an example of a challenging/questioning/subverting adaptation - care to share?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I am not really sure if I fully understand what it is you are asking...

but Forrest Gump is a movie that is vastly different from the book. I dont think the movie mocks the book, but it is majorly different.

forgive me if that is not what you are asking!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrady77 View Post
am curious to hear why you feel The Trial should stand as an example of a challenging/questioning/subverting adaptation - care to share?
Spoiler:
Orson Welles made the movie based on the idea that Josef K. is guilty as hell (something he used to shout on set). If you've read the book you realize this is inverting the entire purpose of the book rather fundamentally.