Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 AM
The Grey

n Alaska, an oil drilling team struggle to survive after a plane crash strands them in the wild. Hunting the humans are a pack of wolves who see them as intruders.

Liam Neeson
Dallas Roberts
Frank Grillo
Dermot Mulroney

Runtime: 117 min

Red band Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h0V0wx_kKE ( Spoilers in trailer)
Roger Ebert's review: http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs....0129984/-1/RSS

Can`t fucking wait.

Last edited by CuatroDiablos; 01-26-2012 at 06:49 AM..
Old 01-26-2012, 04:42 PM
I might go see this tomorrow...
Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 AM
You should.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm not liking the CGI wolves.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM
There's a Mix of Real , Animatronic and CGI.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM

2/10

Simply awful. This was a brutal, grim, discouraging and depressing film with little to no redeeming factors whatsoever. If you saw the movie Open Water and hated it (which I did) then you'll hate this movie (which I do). The only positive thing I can say about this thing is that it does make you appreciate not being stranded in the wilderness being hunted by giant wolves. Other than that, this was one complete and utter waste of two hours of my life.

Honestly, I can't imagine paying to see nine worse movies this year. So, this crap will have a permanent place on my "worst of the year" list for the next eleven months and beyond.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Best movie I've seen in a while. Too bad that this is being marketed as a balls to the wall action flick because it's a lot more than that. Some people are going to be annoyed by the ending but I think it was perfect and couldn't have ended any other way. The last 5 minutes are more powerful than anything I can recall seeing in a movie.

There are scenes where it's pretty obvious that the wolves weren't real but it doesn't lessen their impact at all.

The only thing that bothered me was that
Spoiler:
after falling in the river, Ottway wouldn't have lasted 20 minutes in the wet clothes. They should have included a scene of him building a fire and drying his clothes. I almost wonder if there was a scene that was cut since he's no longer wearing the heavy coat in the next scene.

9/10

Last edited by jz68; 01-27-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Must not have seen it at the same matinee in Michigan as I did because the crowd I saw it with hated it as much as I did.

I didn't expect action but I did expect a coherent survival story. They gave us neither. There was nothing powerful or meaningful about the last five minutes or that last 50 for that matter. It a discouraging and unbelievable track through snowy wilderness where nature pauses to let the story unfold for no reason.

Spoiler:
Questioning life and faith and then giving up and dying is NOT powerful nor is it entertaining. Neither is the sudden deaths as every member of the party is picked off one by one like a bad Saw or Final Destination movie.

Hated HATED this movie.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
2/10

Simply awful. This was a brutal, grim, discouraging and depressing film with little to no redeeming factors whatsoever. If you saw the movie Open Water and hated it (which I did) then you'll hate this movie (which I do). The only positive thing I can say about this thing is that it does make you appreciate not being stranded in the wilderness being hunted by giant wolves. Other than that, this was one complete and utter waste of two hours of my life.

Honestly, I can't imagine paying to see nine worse movies this year. So, this crap will have a permanent place on my "worst of the year" list for the next eleven months and beyond.
I cannot wait.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Great movie. However, it is definitely marketed for an action movie, when it's not. It's slow paced and very cerebral (not to the extreme of 'Tree of Life'). The last 5 minutes are very powerful. I did notice a few mainstream movie-goers that said it was one of the worst films they've seen in a while. So I'd imagine it won't have legs after this weekend.

8/10
Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
All this talk about how this is not JUST an action movie is making me want to see it so much more.

Neeson 4 Prez!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Spoilery Question

Spoiler:
The ending of the script has Neeson duking it out with the Alpha and winning. Was that cut out, as rumored?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Spoilery Question

Spoiler:
The ending of the script has Neeson duking it out with the Alpha and winning. Was that cut out, as rumored?
Spoiler:
The movie ends with him charging towards the alpha after taping the airplane bottles to one hand and his knife to the other. Apparently there's a brief scene after the credits that show the alpha laying there dying with Neeson laying beside it, badly injured but alive. I didn't sit through the credits so I'm just going by what I've read online.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz68 View Post
Spoiler:
The movie ends with him charging towards the alpha after taping the airplane bottles to one hand and his knife to the other. Apparently there's a brief scene after the credits that show the alpha laying there dying with Neeson laying beside it, badly injured but alive. I didn't sit through the credits so I'm just going by what I've read online.
Spoiler:
Ugh. in the script he kills the alpha and they leave him alone.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:
Ugh. in the script he kills the alpha and they leave him alone.
Spoiler:
I'm assuming they did leave him alone after killing the apha. Does he survive in the script or does it end after killing the alpha with his fate left hanging?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 AM
I enjoyed the hell out of this film. It's raw and relentless. A pure visceral experience of a film that makes you shiver a little in the comfort of your own seat. It should be seen in the theater. The sound design is exquisite as is the bleak cinematography. The snow and forest look incredibly imposing in the film. And the cast is solid as a rock. Neeson delivers one of his best performances where he gets to incorporate his dramatic chops with his action-hero sensibilities. His role is simple yet meaty. The ensemble works very well around him. It was nice to see character actors like Dermot Mulroney and Dallas Roberts. Everyone is believable, down to the asshole of the group played by Frank Grillo who turned out to be a hell of an actor.

The plane crash sequence is worth the price of the ticket alone. I can't remember a more intense crash sequence. Do yourself a favor and check this out. Just don't go in expecting an uplifting experience.

What's interesting to me is how good Carnahan can be when he has the right material. With Narc and the Grey, he comes off like a top tier filmmaker swinging for the fences. With Smokin' Aces and the A-Team... not so much. They're not terrible films, but they lack a certain passion that's there Narc and the Grey. Maybe he's the kind of filmmaker who needs to stick to intense, serious stories in order to bring out the best in his abilities. Maybe fun action films aren't the way for Carnahan.

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 01-28-2012 at 03:56 AM..
Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 AM
"It was Greeeeeeeyyyyyt!"

When I first saw an advertisement for “The Grey” I was incredibly excited. Being a fan of “Taken” I expected a movie where I didn’t have to think too deep. I wanted to be rewarded with mind blowing action scenes mainly along the lines of Liam Neeson fist fighting some wolves. And this is what the trailer for the movie would have one think they are paying their ten dollars to see, which is why when the credits began to roll I was left disappointed and felt cheated out of my money. However, upon going home and letting the information sink in and carefully analyze my cinematic experience I couldn’t help but begin to love “The Grey” for its deeper themes that kept appearing to me.
It became apparent to me what the scripts author and director were trying to convey. NONE OF THAT STUFF WE SAW ACTUALLY HAPPENED AFTER THE PLANE CRASH! That’s right a complete mind bender...They ones that survived the plane crash actually did survive the plane crash; however, I believe that while we see the action they actually remained at the crash site waiting to die. It was all symbolic action of their mental struggle. All of the action takes place in a sort of dazed world that corners the grips of death. Everyone who accepts death allows themselves to pass on, as we see with the gentleman badly injured in the plane crash in its aftermath. Neeson calms the man who is struggling and he passes on. The victims who died via wolf attack would have presumably let go and die as they would have found their particular situation inevitably inescapable just as I am sure they felt their actual plight at the crash site was inescapable. I believe that Burke passes on in the blizzard scene as he slumbers because he finally accepts death and lets it consume him. The same thing eventually happens after they leave Diaz as he was at peace finally. The movie end at a questionable point with Neeson charging in to fight the alpha wolf, heading right at death itself, and we do not get to see the actual fight. This bothered me at first as I mentioned earlier that I was really jonesing for my action fix. But now I see that the fight never actually happened so I cannot be upset that it was left out. That’s right IT NEVER ACTUALLY WENT DOWN! He merely had prepared himself for death at this point after making peace with himself. He finally listened to his wife saying “don’t be afraid,” as he allowed himself to die.

Further supporting this complex analogy is the wallets that they carried with them throughout the movie of the deceased. The wallet is symbolic for the individual’s body, their own physical identity, which upon each of their passing would be the only thing left at the crash site. They had the wallets of each of the passengers which in reality were the presence of each of the passenger’s lifeless bodies at the crash site.

Also the title was heavily symbolic as they were literally right between life(white) and death(blackness) every moment thus leaving us obviously with GREY!
So all in all, it was a good movie, just not what I expected to get into.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Cant comment on your theory without seeing the flick first, but you need to throw some spoiler tags on that post....at least 3 or 4 major moments are not going to be a surprise to me now. Bummer.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Somebody in this thread watched Lost and is convinced that they all died in the plane crash in the first episode.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Spoilery Question

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I would have hated if it ended that way. It would have thrown a lot of interesting philosophical questions that the film brought up out the window. I loved how it ended.

Anyway, I definitely am on the same page as Cop No. 633. It's a really great, bleak and grim survival story and Carnahan knocked it out of the park. I also love how it sticks to its guns regarding faith and philosophy, instead of having a big, action packed finale. It may end up cutting its box-office in half because of it, but the film is better for it and it shows that Carnahan has a big pair of brass balls.

The scene near the end where Neeson is looking up to the dull, grey sky, praying for some kind of help was fantastic.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpony View Post
Spoiler:
When I first saw an advertisement for “The Grey” I was incredibly excited. Being a fan of “Taken” I expected a movie where I didn’t have to think too deep. I wanted to be rewarded with mind blowing action scenes mainly along the lines of Liam Neeson fist fighting some wolves. And this is what the trailer for the movie would have one think they are paying their ten dollars to see, which is why when the credits began to roll I was left disappointed and felt cheated out of my money. However, upon going home and letting the information sink in and carefully analyze my cinematic experience I couldn’t help but begin to love “The Grey” for its deeper themes that kept appearing to me.
It became apparent to me what the scripts author and director were trying to convey. NONE OF THAT STUFF WE SAW ACTUALLY HAPPENED AFTER THE PLANE CRASH! That’s right a complete mind bender...They ones that survived the plane crash actually did survive the plane crash; however, I believe that while we see the action they actually remained at the crash site waiting to die. It was all symbolic action of their mental struggle. All of the action takes place in a sort of dazed world that corners the grips of death. Everyone who accepts death allows themselves to pass on, as we see with the gentleman badly injured in the plane crash in its aftermath. Neeson calms the man who is struggling and he passes on. The victims who died via wolf attack would have presumably let go and die as they would have found their particular situation inevitably inescapable just as I am sure they felt their actual plight at the crash site was inescapable. I believe that Burke passes on in the blizzard scene as he slumbers because he finally accepts death and lets it consume him. The same thing eventually happens after they leave Diaz as he was at peace finally. The movie end at a questionable point with Neeson charging in to fight the alpha wolf, heading right at death itself, and we do not get to see the actual fight. This bothered me at first as I mentioned earlier that I was really jonesing for my action fix. But now I see that the fight never actually happened so I cannot be upset that it was left out. That’s right IT NEVER ACTUALLY WENT DOWN! He merely had prepared himself for death at this point after making peace with himself. He finally listened to his wife saying “don’t be afraid,” as he allowed himself to die.

Further supporting this complex analogy is the wallets that they carried with them throughout the movie of the deceased. The wallet is symbolic for the individual’s body, their own physical identity, which upon each of their passing would be the only thing left at the crash site. They had the wallets of each of the passengers which in reality were the presence of each of the passenger’s lifeless bodies at the crash site.

Also the title was heavily symbolic as they were literally right between life(white) and death(blackness) every moment thus leaving us obviously with GREY!
So all in all, it was a good movie, just not what I expected to get into.
Spoiler:
That's an interesting way of looking at the film. I picked up on the themes you're discussing, but I didn't literally interpret their journey as being in their heads. I think the film's metaphors were strong enough to pick up on, like the wallets and the way the men die representing their own view of death, without having to come to that conclusion. But it's an interesting way of looking at the film. I'm curious as to how the last shot of the film (the one after the credits) plays into your theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Spoiler:
I would have hated if it ended that way. It would have thrown a lot of interesting philosophical questions that the film brought up out the window. I loved how it ended.

Anyway, I definitely am on the same page as Cop No. 633. It's a really great, bleak and grim survival story and Carnahan knocked it out of the park. I also love how it sticks to its guns regarding faith and philosophy, instead of having a big, action packed finale. It may end up cutting its box-office in half because of it, but the film is better for it and it shows that Carnahan has a big pair of brass balls.

The scene near the end where Neeson is looking up to the dull, grey sky, praying for some kind of help was fantastic.
Spoiler:
I think Carnahan made the right decision too. It works for me in a similar fashion as the finale of No Country for Old Men. Sure, you don't get to see the final battle like you secretly want to see, but you realize that the journey to get there was much more important. I really enjoyed Neeson as Ottway. I love that the cry of the wolf is what stops him from suicide in the beginning. It's interesting how nature seems to awaken his instincts and his reason to live while being surrounded by people at the oil refinery only isolates him and makes him suicidal.

And yes, that scene was fantastic. A testament to Neeson's dramatic range as an actor. You're so behind Ottway that even if the film pulled a Dues Ex Machina, you'd somehow justify it simply because you want him to live. But Carnahan of course says, "No, you ain't getting a helicopter magically appearing in the air like some kind of angel."
Old 01-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
2/10

I usually don't say shit like this but your top movies of 2011 were comic book movies making your opinion about this great film worthless.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Spoiler:
Does Neeson survive or is he dead? I thought for sure he is dead. The way he was flashing back and the words he was saying before he lurches at the alpha wolf. It definitely seemed to signal to me that Neeson doesn't survive the fight. And I stayed for the clip after the ending credits. It doesn't seem to conclusive. They only show the back of his hair. His body seemed still to me. Like he was probably dead. But was I just not looking hard enough? Was Neeson actually breathing and alive? The alpha wolf was breathing, but to me it seemed liked he was basically dying as well. So the fight was a draw. They both won, they both lost. Is this basically true? Or was I not paying attention enough?

I thought the entire movie was FANTASTIC, including the ending. I actually think Carnahan deserves a lot of credit for making the decision he does at the end. I found it to be an incredibly ballsy move and it was the PERFECT way to end the movie. But I can tell this is going to be a love it or hate it move. The group in front of me were audibly annoyed. I even heard them say how they thought the movie was great, but the ending was crap. Definitely is going divisive among audiences.

Liam Neeson is fantastic. Probably the best acting he's done in a long time. And I also loved Frank Grillo's work here. I HATED his character at first. He was so annoying, but as the movie went on, his character became more sympathetic. Dermot Mulroney and Dallas Roberts are also very good.

The cinematography in this movie is BREATHTAKING! The atmosphere is intoxicating! The action is brutal and intense. An absolutely gripping and powerful piece of work!

8/10
Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
This was a brutal, grim, discouraging and depressing film with little to no redeeming factors whatsoever.

Makes me want to see this NOW.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 PM
After seeing this movie this morning I really hope that Neeson is remembered next year come award time. He was amazing in this and I really enjoyed it from start to finish.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
I usually don't say shit like this but your top movies of 2011 were comic book movies making your opinion about this great film worthless.
Next time, go with your instinct to shut your yap. That's good advice for life in general when you have the IQ of a goat.

No one can argue against the fact that it IS a bleak, grim, and very depressing movie. All they can say it that they like bleak, grim, and depressing movies. That's fine, I simply do not in most cases.

FYI- My top film for 2011 was The Artist and the only film I rated a 10/10. I'll also never apologize for enjoying adventure films regardless of the source material. Idiotic and pretentious alleged film fans can pretend certain genres are better than others but that will never make it so. I'll also never let misguided perceptions influence or intimidate me.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 PM
I gotta agree with JoeChar. Seeing people constantly argue that one person's opinion is pointless because the films they enjoy isn't up to another persons standards is almost laughable. I don't even agree with him about The Grey but he's certainly entitled to his opinion.

There are plenty of people out there that know about films and because they enjoy a good blockbuster instead of condemning them like others because that's the "IN" thing to do now a days, they're opinion isn't given any weight. People need to get over themselves.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 AM
JoeChar - you would do well to do what I would do with ignorant comments like that: shrug it off. It's meaningless anyway and wouldn't bother me. I mean if it bothers you then you definitely should report him since his comment was disrespectful but the way you commented back was just as insulting and could get you in trouble too. Wouldn't want that to happen.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
The Grey is right up there with two of my all time favorite survival films,The Edge and Gulag.Liam Neeson is John Ottway a marksman who kills the wolves who may harm refinery workers in Alaska.Haunted by visions of a woman he loves,depressed with life,a plane crash jolts him out of his depressive state.He along with 6 other survivors:
Todd Flannery (Joe Anderson) Talget (Dermot Mulroney), Diaz (Frank Grillo), Hendrick (Dallas Roberts), Burke (Nonso Anozie), and Hernandez (Ben Bray).
battle: the elements in the form of blizzards and 10 below temperatures,
each other,and the wolves that stalk them,the wolves that just do what comes naturally...and then some.
This is an extremely entertaining film on all levels,drama,humor,action.
I became emotionally tied to the characters as they face death,and they reflect on God,family,women,and fate.
I was a bit disappointed with how a portion of the film plays out,by the outbursts from several other people in the theatre they too felt this portion was truncated.
There are also some cliched moments,but the film is so well acted and put together before the aforementioned i cant disavow the film.Because it is one of the most involving and entertaining films so far this year.
Scale of 1-10 an 8 ˝
Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 PM
I guess I'm in the camp that thought the movie was great, until the end. I don't know, all that build-up and then.....the end! Maybe after some more reflection I'll come to appreciation the ending, but right now it's leaving a sour taste in my mouth. I still would definitely recommend people see this movie, as it was pretty fantastic regardless of said ending.

Spoiler:
And is it just me, or is Carnahan obsessed with death.... more specifically, capturing the moment an individual actually dies? Think of in Smoking Aces, when that assassin kills the one guy by puncturing his lung, and the assassin holds him while he dies and says something like, "Yes, you are dying. That's the sensation of blood entering your lungs." And in this movie, the scene right after the plane crash when Liam Neeson tells the man that he's dying, is very similar to the scene in Smoking Aces. Also, we see other similar scenes where we watch a wolf take it's last breath (after Ottway shoots it in the beginning), and also, when Diaz sits in front of the log, awaiting his death. I haven't seen A-Team, and it's been years since I've watched Narc, so I can't comment on them, but from the examples I've listed, I think it's not unreasonable to think that Carnahan is pretty fascinated with the moment an individual actually dies.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 PM
I thought this movie was great. I liked how they left the ending open to intreptation. No one wants to watch someone get torn to pieces by wolves.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Please in the future hide spoilers for those who haven't seen the film. On another note I do agree with you.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Wow. I was blown away by the powerfulness of the ending and Liam's performance. It was great and cemented my pure love for Nesson as a action hero. I mean You'll never see a action star pull off the incredible range this guy has as a actor.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 PM
I enjoyed the film, Neeson was solid, really loved Grillo.

The film had it's faults though.

The CGI snow bothered me, the Wolves trying to kill people in a sequence was a bit repetitive, and the weather stopping and starting was annoying.

I enjoyed the ending, no problem with it, the scenery and overall cinematography was excellent.

Good film, with faults, Neeson proves this is his craft. Pretty perfect for the role.

Bradley Cooper was originally set to star, would have been interesting to see him in the role.

Rating - 7/10

I wrote a full review here - http://bit.ly/wzMko1
Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 PM
With all due respect to Bradley Cooper, who I really like a lot, but I don't think this movie would have been nearly as good with him as the star rather than Neeson. Probably would have felt like a different movie because that means Ottway would be younger and I think Neeson's age definitely makes the character better. He's more experienced and thus, therefore, more badass.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Saw it for a second time....Neeson's best performance , coming from the heart. I teared up when I they show the scene

Spoiler:
with his wife dying and telling him not to be afraid , knowing what happened to him in real life

OHH AND

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1601913/...&p=1#194115188

LOL.

Last edited by CuatroDiablos; 02-01-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
"I'm your Huckleberry."

One thing is clear around the Net that people either like the film or hate it, there really is no middle ground. I absolutely HATED it, themes and all. I never go out of my way to influence friends or family but I made it a point to warn everyone I could off this thing. I hated it so much that I couldn't wait to crusade against the film. It's not so much the movie itself but the marketing of it. It's a giant con job and as long as everyone knows exactly what they are getting, to each his own. Stirring the debate on other sites gets that job done.

At least it evoked a reaction though, right?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Watched this movie last night and wow, I'm just blown away. Not only was the movie intense as hell, very well directed, but Neeson's performance was nothing short of amazing. One of the best of his career.

As for the ending, I thought it was the best possible way to end things. We all knew how that situation would realistically end, and take it any further would have diminished the powerfully emotional ending.

9/10
Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Spoiler:

In the script he kills the wolf and the plane rescues him, following the GPS device, which was played up heavily in the film.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Spoiler:
Well you can see after the credits roll , the Alpha Wolf is Dying and Ottway is on top of him.