Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2005, 04:55 PM
The Official Criterion Thread: Release Dates,Rumors,News,Collections And More

Thought it would be good to start one single thread up to discuss Criterions. Post any Criterion related news,rumors,release dates,reviews,collections etc in here.

Release Dates:

March 1
My Own Private Idaho
The River

March 15
The Sword of Doom
Young Torless
L' Eclisse

March 29
Jules et Jim
Kagemusha

April 26
A Generation
Kanal
Ashes and Diamonds
Andrzej Wajda: Three War Films
Divoce Italian Style
F For Fake!

May 10
Hoop Dreams
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Burden of Dreams

May 24
The Phantom of Liberty

Rumored:
Seven Samurai Reissue
Old 03-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Hoop Dreams Special Features:

- Letterbox presentation enhanced for widescreen televisions
- Two audio commentaries with stars Arthur Agee and William Gates and filmmakers Peter Gilbert, Steve James, and Frederick Marx
- Segments from Siskel and Ebert tracking the acclaim for Hoop Dreams
- Original music video
Theatrical trailers
- A booklet featuring a dedication to the Gates and Agee families written by Steve James; new essays by writer and cultural historian John Edgar Wideman, and Sports Illustrated senior writer Alexander Wolff; and Michael Wise’s Washington Post article “Looking Back at Broken Dreams”
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired

Phantom of Liberty Special Features:

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Video introduction by screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Original theatrical trailer
- A new essay by culture critic Gary Indiana

Kagemusha Special Features:

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer enhanced for widescreen televisions
- Audio commentary by Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince (The Warrior’s Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa)
- A 40-minute documentary on the making of Kagemusha, part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
- Helping a Master: Coppola, Lucas, and Kagemusha, new video interviews with executive producers Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas
- Image: Kurosawa’s Continuity, a new video piece that reconstructs - Kagemusha through Kurosawa’s paintings and sketches
- A booklet featuring new essays by scholars Darrell Davis and Peter Grilli and biographical sketches by Japanese film historian Donald Richie
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- More!
Old 03-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I can't wait to get Burden Of Dreams. It'll not only be a nice companion piece to my Fitzcarraldo DVD but I've always wanted to see Werner Herzog dine on his footwear.

To contribute to this thread, here's link with releases that are heavily rumoured but haven't come out yet.

Personally, I'ld most like to see those Kurosawa movies along with Olympia and Eisentein: The Silent Years.

Last edited by MacReady; 03-05-2005 at 05:13 PM..
Old 03-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Can you tell me if Hoop Dreams is a double-discer Mikey?

Burden of Dreams looks supremely interesting. I should really bump up Fitzcarraldo in my queue, I've been meaning to follow up my viewing to Aguirre, the Wrath of God for what, nine months now.

Definite Purchase Number One - L'eclisse

It seems likely I'll enjoy this one, loving L'Avventura so much and being a fan of everything I've seen from Antonioni.

Definite Purchase Number Two - The Phantom of Liberty

May is looking awesome for viewing Buñuel films. TCM is airing five unreleased films of his-- Los Olvidados, Nazarin, Viridiana, The Exterminating Angel, and Simon of the Desert and now this great release.

Definite Purchase Number Three - Jules and Jim

It's been awhile since I've seen it, and will eventually get around to buying this like in the summer. I've already sold my Fox Lorber edition.

Indefinite Purchase - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

I gave the movie a six, but as long as its cheaply priced....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I obtained this list from criterionforum.org....

For sure to be released.

THE 49th PARALLEL (Powell & Pressburger)

A CANTERBURY TALE (Powell & Pressburger)

UGETSU (1954, Mizoguchi)

PANDORA'S BOX (1929, G. W. Pabst)

JOUR DE FETE (Tati, 1949)

more Yasujiro Ozu (as of Nov 2003 they are planning to release 12 Ozu DVDs, Donald Richie has mentioned that THE ONLY SON is coming soon; EQUINOX FLOWER and AN AUTUMN AFTERNOON have been mooted too.)

EISENSTEIN SILENT YEARS boxset (2005?)

MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S (1969, Rohmer)

CLAIRE'S KNEE (1970, Rohmer)

And here are some distinct possibilities (they haven't been confirmed yet):

YOUNG MR. LINCOLN (Ford, 1939)

DAMAGE (Malle, 1992)

CRASH (Cronenberg, 1996)

THIS SPORTING LIFE (Lindsay Anderson, 1963)

NAKED (Mike Leigh, 1993)

AN ANGEL AT MY TABLE (Jane Campion, 1990)

AN AUTUMN AFTERNOON (1962, Ozu)

EQUINOX FLOWER (1958, Ozu)

THE ONLY SON (1936, Ozu)

THE TWO OF US [Le Vieil homme et l'enfant] (Berri, 1967)

HANDS OVER THE CITY (Rosi, 1963)

Richard GORDON boxset containing THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE (Bennet, 1959); THE HAUNTED STRANGLER (Day, 1958); FIRST MAN INTO SPACE (Day, 1959); CORRIDORS OF BLOOD (Day, 1962) (showing up on the Classic Horror DVD website as coming soon)

JIGOKU (Nakagawa, 1960)

PIERROT LE FOU (Godard, 1965)

THIEVES' HIGHWAY (Dassin, 1949)

NIGHT AND THE CITY (Dassin, 1950)

SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT (Lee, 1986)

CONFIDENTIAL REPORT (Welles, 1955)

FANFAN LA TULIPE (1952, Christian-Jaque)

CLASSE TOUS RISQUES (1960, Sautet)

PANIQUE (1946, Duvivier)

THE PHANTOM CHARIOT (1921, Victor Sjöström)

WOMAN IN THE DUNES (1964, Teshigahara)

GODZILLA (Honda, 1954)

SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE (Erice, 1973)

UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (Sturges, 1948)

SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS (Parajanov, 1964)

LE BONHEUR (1965, Agnès Varda)

BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (1970, Meyer)

THE STORY OF A PROSTITUTE (1965, Seijun Suzuki)

EQUINOX (1970, Jack Woods & Dennis Muren)

SEVEN SAMURAI (1954, Akira Kurosawa) reissue / new transfer (probably 2 x disc set)

THE BAD SLEEP WELL (1946, Akira Kurosawa)

DRUNKEN ANGEL (1948, Akira Kurosawa)

I LIVE IN FEAR (1955, Akira Kurosawa)

THE BURMESE HARP (Harp Of Burma)

FIRES ON THE PLAIN (Nobi) (1965, Kon Ichikawa)

MASCULIN, FÉMININ (1966, Jean-Luc Godard)

PICKPOCKET (1959, Bresson)

AU HASARD BALTHAZAR (1966, Robert Bresson)

MOUCHETTE * (1967, Robert Bresson)

LE PROCES DE JEANNE D'ARC (1962, Robert Bresson)

TWO OR THREE THINGS I KNOW ABOUT HER (2 ou 3 choses que je sais d'elle) (1967, Jean-Luc Godard)

more Renoir (LA BETE HUMAINE?)

Tarkovsky (NOSTALGHIA)

THREEPENNY OPERA (1931, G. W. Pabst)

GRAY'S ANATOMY (1996, Soderbergh)

THE LAST METRO (1982, Truffaut)

SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER (1960, Truffaut)

ARMY OF SHADOWS (1969, Melville)

GOLD OF NAPLES (1954, De Sica)

LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD (1961, Resnais)

LE DOULOS (1961, Melville)

LÉON MORIN, PRÊTRE (1961, Melville)

MAFIOSO (1962, Lattuada)

THE MILKY WAY (1969, Buñuel)
Old 03-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Of those, I'll definitely rent Two or Three Things I Know About Her, This Sporting Life, any of the Melville movies, Last Year At Marienbad, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, She's Gotta Have It, the Milky Way, the Kurosawa movies, and maybe Spirit of the Beehive. Of the ones I have seen, I plan on getting the new Seven Samurai release, Life Aquatic, and Jules and Jim.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tayzlor
Can you tell me if Hoop Dreams is a double-discer Mikey?
Not too sure man. I got that info from the Criterion site and they don't mention anything about how many discs it is. Here's hoping for a 2 Discer because I'm still hoping they will put an Ebert commentary on it.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Somehow I knew it was Tayzlor's destiny to be one of the first few people to post (I was almost certain he'd post after me).

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikey2Dope
Not too sure man. I got that info from the Criterion site and they don't mention anything about how many discs it is. Here's hoping for a 2 Discer because I'm still hoping they will put an Ebert commentary on it.
According to Criterion DVD, it's going to be simply a one-discer (althought it's a very long film there isn't that many extras in my opinion).
Old 03-06-2005, 12:51 AM
A GRAY'S ANATOMY Criterion? Is it just a rumor at this point, or are there actual rumblings of one in the process of creation?

If so, I actually might buy my first Criterion DVD.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:56 AM
How come hardly anything recognizable gets a Criterion? Who picks these films?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Quote:
GODZILLA (Honda, 1954)
Oh god man I hope so. That would be the end all be all for me. It deserves one with all the crappy discs we Godzilla fans have had to endure. It'd be even better if it was the original Japanese version, GOJIRA.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saruman
How come hardly anything recognizable gets a Criterion? Who picks these films?
Well, they go by A) What films they can get the rights to, and B) What films aren't going to be released by other major studios.

I mean, why release a Lord of the Rings or Godfather Criterion when they already are getting attention from their own studios?

These "unrecognizable" films are not going to get released in a decent edition unless Criterion does it.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Adam J. Hakari
A GRAY'S ANATOMY Criterion? Is it just a rumor at this point, or are there actual rumblings of one in the process of creation?

Quote:
GRAY'S ANATOMY (1996, Soderbergh)
If it's official, I'll get it rather than face the shame of not owning a Criterion DVD that Adam does.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
I mean, why release a Lord of the Rings or Godfather Criterion when they already are getting attention from their own studios?
Which is why I'm extremely puzzled as to why THE ROCK and ARMAGEDDON are amongst the collection...

Quote:
These "unrecognizable" films are not going to get released in a decent edition unless Criterion does it.
And God bless them for getting out TANNER '88. I'd been trying to get ahold of it for friggin' years, so the Criterion edition was a blessing from above.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Adam J. Hakari

Oh dear God...don't release it, Criterion! You know better!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm glad somebody made this thread, and what's wrong with The Rock? One of the best action films of the 90's. Armaggeddon they could have done without though.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bankholdup
Oh dear God...don't release it, Criterion! You know better!
So I guess that's a "No" on you renting SWIMMING TO CAMBODIA anytime soon, right?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Old 03-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Quote:
That is one terrific cover. I'm definetly blind buying it since I've always wanted to see it and I love basketball.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:40 PM
I think the Hoop Dreams art is horrible and tacky.

The below coverart is without the "copyrighted material".

May Coverarts
1. Burden of Dreams
2. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
3. The Phantom of Liberty
4. Hoop Dreams

Last edited by Tayzlor; 03-08-2005 at 09:46 PM..
Old 03-09-2005, 03:22 PM
dont like the Hoop Dreams cover at all. Im sure the guys at Criterion could have come up with something better.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Hoop Dreams cover is awite. I actually would prefer it more just being the jersey and not having the Newspaper Clippings at the bottom.

Accoring to Criterions website, Jules et Jim is now in the "Coming Soon" section for May, so it may have been pushed back a couple months.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Does anyone know if it'd be likely for them to re-release some of their early dvd's that don't have any extras, besides the trailer (Great Expectations, Alphaville, Oliver Twist, etc.)?
Old 03-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bluesbrother965
Does anyone know if it'd be likely for them to re-release some of their early dvd's that don't have any extras, besides the trailer (Great Expectations, Alphaville, Oliver Twist, etc.)?
I'd say it's highly likely. Besides the Kurosawa rereleases the only thing I've heard is a possible Alphaville rerelease, which has restrained me from purchasing it.

I'm not sure what was going on with Criterion when they released some of their earlier titles plainly, lack of funds perhaps? But I'm quite sure Criterion will get every film right from now on.

Films In Dire Need of a Rerelease
002 - Seven Samurai
003 - The Lady Vanishes
004 - Amarcord
010 - Walkabout
011 - The Seventh Seal
018 - The Naked Kiss
019 - Shock Corridor
022 - Summertime
024 - High And Low
025 - Alphaville
026 - The Long Good Friday
029 - Picnic at Hanging Rock
031 - Great Expectations
032 - Oliver Twist
035 - Diabolique
036 - Wages of Fear
037 - Time Bandits
Old 03-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Quote:
[
I'm not sure what was going on with Criterion when they released some of their earlier titles plainly, lack of funds perhaps? But I'm quite sure Criterion will get every film right from now on.
I think it was mainly two factors. One was the technology both for DVD printing and the hardware people had at home. It wasn't worth it to put out anamorphic transfers at the beginning because almost no one had a Widescreen television. (I believe Insomnia #47 was the first Anamorphic)

The other reason that earliy releases (from all studios) were light on features was because the didn't know if the technology would catch on. After years of LaserDisc, must have been considered a technological flop (marketwise) studios were probably cautious about investing a tonne of money into a format that no one would buy. DVDs are a unique technological invention. The have acheived amazing success in a short period of time. I think DVDs are the first home video format that changed the industry. People who would never buy a VHS have a collection of DVDs. It has become a cultural phenomenon..
Old 03-13-2005, 08:21 PM
^That probably explains it.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:02 PM
New Criterion Titles added for June (from the Criterion Website)

Heaven Can Wait
Au hasard Balthazar
Crazed Fruit
The Browning Version
Old 04-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Quote:
This week saw the release of Criterion's new DVD edition of Akira Kurosawa's epic Kagemusha, featuring exclusive new video interviews with filmmakers George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola, audio commentary by Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince, a 41 minute documentary on the making of the film, and much more. Kurosawa fans can also look forward to Criterion's upcoming edition of Ran, due out in late 2005 in a special edition which includes, among other features, an exclusive interview recently conducted in Tokyo with star Tatsuya Nakadai.
I saw this on the Criterion homepage but it's since been taken down.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Ran. Yuck.

Here's hoping they do a Spirit of the Beehive DVD, because no one else will. It's one of my favorite movies. Any of you checked it out yet?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Here is the coverart for three of the June releases.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:26 PM
the game

will David Finchers movie the game be releases on Criterion
Old 04-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Re: the game

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdpunk
will David Finchers movie the game be releases on Criterion

This has been a rumor for years. I wish it would come true.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:48 PM

I'm not impressed. I hope this is simply a "working cover" like the one we saw for My Own Private Idaho and L'Eclisse.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 AM
This is interesting.

I just got my Columbia House DVD club ifo for this month and they now have Criterion discs. The Red Shoes, Hamlet, and The Third Man are in the flier. Best of all, they qualify for the buy one at regular price, get the rest 1/2 off. You could get all three for $63.91 plus shipping. Not a bad deal.

I'm sure they have more than that on the website.

Just an FYI.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:28 AM
This has got to be one of the best covers I have seen from Criterion:

Makes me want to buy the DVD just for the cover!

Has anyone seen this movie?

DMM
Old 04-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Certainly a good purchase
Old 04-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Quote:

Films In Dire Need of a Rerelease

029 - Picnic at Hanging Rock
I'd say it should be soon enough, Australia has the 2 disc set (or maybe more?) with a whole lot of new brandpsanking features but i havnt got it yet so i coudlnt tell you what it is, but needless to say theres plenty extra that could be added to a re-release.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Quote:
A new video interview with actress Candice Bergen will appear on Criterion's upcoming DVD release of Louis Malle's Au Revoir Les Enfants. In the interview, Bergen discusses her late husband's return to filmmaking in his native France with Au revoir and his methods for bringing this heartbreaking story to life. Look for Au Revoir Les Enfants from Criterion this summer.
Shit. I bought a crappy bootleg in december and now I can't get rid of it and now this pops up.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:49 AM
What are the chances of Criterion doing "A Matter of Life and Death"?
They obviously like Powell & Pressburger.......
Old 05-03-2005, 02:45 AM
New Criterions:

#292 Unfaithfully Yours

#296 Le notti bianche

#298 Gates of Flesh

#299 Story of a Prostitute

No Cover Art Yet
Old 05-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Wages of Fear to Be Rereleased in Late 2005
The original Criterion edition of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s masterpiece of suspense Wages Of Fear will be taken out of print on May 16 to make room for an all new DVD edition of the film. The rerelease, due out in late 2005, will feature a brilliant transfer from newly restored film elements. Keep an eye on this space for more details in the coming months!

I have no regrets. Mine has that kickass original design anyway.

Oh, and here's the cover for Story Of A Prostitute:

I prefer the vastly superior Gate Of Flesh anyway. It has this cool Rashomon thing going on.