Old 12-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Zero Dark Thirty in FIVE theaters?!

It kind of annoys me not living in a big city when it comes to when we'll get movies. We only just recently got Silver Linings Playbook which has been out long before now but whatever, at least we got it. This time, however just pissed me off. Zero Dark Thirty has been getting a lot of Oscar talk, the reviews are great, it's coming from a director who won Best Picture a couple years ago, wouldn't you think that they would want to get this out to as many people as possible? Nope! Five goddamn theaters. I understand independent films not getting big releases but this is not an independent film. Even more so the fact that this is nearing already claiming $1,000,000 from it's first weekend in five theaters so wouldn't that make them want to get this out even more so they can make more? There's probably some good reasoning behind it or whatever but it really pisses me off that I'm not going to get to see this until January because of it's release. Shit, I'll just pirate it.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Probably best, Oh-Dae (pirating it).

Am I the only one who has absolutely "zero" interest in seeing this? (see what I did there!)
Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 PM
They're building up anticipation, potential word of mouth. The wide release is set for the day after the Oscar nominations are announced, so the timing is perfect to capitalize on said buzz (as well as the "controversy" ZDT has drummed up).
Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 AM
I have a bunch of movies to catch up on, so the release date doesn't bother me that much.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Shouldn't you be used to this by now? This happens every single year. A few movies come out in very limited release for several reasons, but it is done mainly to qualify for the Oscar deadline. I think it is also being done to avoid any messy issues stemming from the subject matter. I would wait until the full release to complain. Then you have a right to complain.