Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Edward Norton better good or bad guy?

Recently, I watched the last Bourne movie and I still really enjoy the acting of Ed Norton, but I like him better when he is a bad guy. I am counting movies like The 25th Hour and American History X as bad characters. What say you?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Recently, I watched the last Bourne movie and I still really enjoy the acting of Ed Norton, but I like him better when he is a bad guy. I am counting movies like The 25th Hour and American History X as bad characters. What say you?
He makes for a pretty good BAD GUY .... American History X was a great role for Norton. I liked him as a baddie in The Italian Job remake and The Score.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't classify either 25th Hour or ESPECIALLY American History X as bad guys. I mean in American History X he starts off as a bad guy but reforms in prison and becomes a good guy and tries to stop his younger brother from becoming like he was.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I mean in American History X he starts off as a bad guy but reforms in prison and becomes a good guy and tries to stop his younger brother from becoming like he was.
classic anti-hero
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I loved him in PRIMAL FEAR.
He was great in AMERICAN HISTORY X.
I was still kind of suckered into his schtick for FIGHT CLUB. The movie is awesome, but he wasn't particularly exciting.

After that, he rehashes the same of these three character types over and over again.
I prefer him these days just not in a movie at all. I like that he's winded down these last 7 years.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Primal Fear, American History X, Fight Club and 25th Hour are, no doubt, his best performances. Everything else has been solid, but not great.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I wouldn't classify either 25th Hour or ESPECIALLY American History X as bad guys. I mean in American History X he starts off as a bad guy but reforms in prison and becomes a good guy and tries to stop his younger brother from becoming like he was.
Obviously that's the plot of AHX, but he's a bit more convincing and more memorable as the "bad" version of Derek Vineyard so I think it's fair to call that a "bad" role.

Have you seen Leaves of Grass? That's his best performance for me. He's also incredible in Down in the Valley, although the movie is super flawed.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 PM
I disagree. I think Norton was EQUALLY effective as good and bad. His transformation is really powerful. It's an amazing performance. Although I loved Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan, he should have been the one to win the best actor Oscar that year. Definitely over Roberto freaking Benini (I know that is spelled wrong but I'm too lazy to look up the correct spelling). Can't believe he won, especially since every other performance nominated that year was so damn strong.

And no, I haven't seen either of those movies. Leaves of Grass doesn't look good to me, but I do want to see Down in the Valley. Another one of his movies that I still haven't seen that I want to is The Painted Veil.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
He was good in The Painted Veil. He & Naomi Watts are two of my favourites, however the movie itself was pretty lacking.

I really enjoyed him in Down in the Valley, Pride & Glory & Death to Smoochy as well.

As previously stated, his best roles are when he's a "baddie" though. American History X & Primal Fear showing that.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Far better as a bad guy or an anti-hero, definitely.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM
The fact that we see him as a good and bad guy in American History X is what makes it such a good movie. He's equally good with both sides, dealing with the character's transformation.

I just think the bad guy is more memorable considering what he does in the movie, particularly what gets him imprisoned. The look of pride on his face after he kills the guy is just so believable, and surprising to us as an audience.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM
I liked his role in The Score. He was a right weasaly bad guy in that!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 AM
Anti-hero. But he played a hero really well in 'Red Dragon' next to real anti-hero Anthony Hopkins.