Old 06-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Star Wars, Episode VIII

This guy....

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/star...xt-two-movies/

Fuck yeah
Old 06-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Nice. He will be the Kershner to JJ's Lucas.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:35 PM
^ Definitely. I'm now interested.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Nice. He will be the Kershner to JJ's Lucas.
Makes sense since I liked A New Hope more than Empire!

But let's hope Episode VIX is better than Return of the Jedi. I recently rewatched that movie and boy, it's a lot worse than I remember it being. By far the worst of all the Star Wars movies and yes, that includes the prequels!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Just outstanding news. This makes me so happy.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
By far the worst of all the Star Wars movies and yes, that includes the prequels!

It objectively is not worse than Attack of the Clones.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
It objectively is not worse than Attack of the Clones.
While it's true that that movie had some pretty wretched dialog and the movie fails as a romance, the last 45 minutes for me easily made up for that movie's deficiencies. Those final 45 minutes are also better than anything in Return of the Jedi IMO. Which is not to say that the movie doesn't have some worthwhile moments. It certainly does. The beginning of the movie where they rescue Han from Jabba the Hut is a really fun scene. And the final showdown between Luke/Darth Vader/The Emperor worked very well. But as a whole the movie felt like a weak rehash of A New Hope plus those annoying Ewoks and the fact that the movie makes the terrible decision to keep Han Solo and Princess Leia away from the main action.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm still highly convinced the Anakin/Padmé love story in "Clones" was SUPPOSED to be as awkward as it was; they're totally the naïve couple from high school who thought they were so in love they went and got married right after graduating... then you run into one of them at your 10-year reunion only to discover that (surprise, surprise) they have since divorced. : P

Then there's also the rather Oedipal angle of their relationship; Anakin (rendered socially awkward by being in the Jedi Order) basically seems to see Padmé as a replacement for his mother, while she sees him as the now-troubled little junkyard slave who just needs some of the motherly love she got to make him all better again. : /

The biggest issue with "Jedi" for me is that its entire first act (Operation: Rescue Han) is basically a side-story that has nothing to do with the trilogy's 2 central narratives (the Rebel Alliance attempting to overthrow the Empire, Luke's quest to restore the Jedi Order). Then there's also all the exposition that's thrown our way, and, while I don't dislike the Ewoks as much as most, making them less cute and cuddly might've helped their cause. But I nonetheless agree with Lucas' point of the mighty Empire being brought down by the most primitive of weaponry.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
plus those annoying Ewoks
Old 06-23-2014, 12:36 AM
Yes, yes, we all hate Ewoks. You can thank Lucas for that one. It was his own personal addition to the storyline so as to better market toys for children. Should have considered it a harbinger of things to come with the Special Editions and prequel films.

On a side note, it's hard for me to really hate on the Special Editions, seeing as that's what pushed me into Star Wars in the first place.

As for Attack of the Clones, it's just a mess of shitty writing, boring and terribly acted characters, a cacophony of bright lights designed more as an attempt to draw the eye in as many different directions at once as opposed to true, awe-inspiring spectacle.

I will remember that movie mostly for two things, the first being "I don't like sand. It's coarse and irritating and it gets everywhere" and the second being the Jedi master who people know for quotes like "Wars not make one great" pulling out a lightsaber and dancing on Christopher Lee's head.

Jedi, while probably the weakest of the original trilogy, with it's largely meandering plot and attempted reliance on cuteness as empathy, still is a far better film. One that I think Mark Hamill doesn't get enough credit for.

Last edited by outsyder; 06-23-2014 at 12:39 AM..