Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2001, 05:38 PM
Film buffs, please help with this animated movie stumper

Hello, guys,

There's this really trippy animated film I've seen a couple of times in my life, the first time I saw it, I was very young, the second time, I was a fair bit older.

If someone can just give me a name, I'll be able to track down a dedicated website from there. Judging from the general ambience of the film, I'd say it was made some time during the 1970s.

All I can remember from the film is that it might be called "Lords of Time" or something like that, and towards the end, it features a bit where the scene keeps chopping and changing between a child who is trapped on a planet, and a space-ship (perhaps orbitting the same planet, can't remember).

There is an old, baseball-cap wearing, engineer-looking guy called Dave who is somehow in contact with the kid, and he trys to help him through the various problem that the planet throws at him.

The reason I remember the old guy's name is because the kid constantly asks, "Help, Dave!...What do I do, Dave?" Things like that.

I also remember a scene where the kid gets attacked by some odd insect like creatures, and some great space hero chap comes along and shoots them all.

Anyway, at the end of the film, the old guy dies, and I remember that it transpires that Dave and the kid are somehow the same person. After 'burying' the older Dave's body in space, the rest of the crew make their way to a near-by space-station which is populated by wierd, ethereal, very wise humaniod aliens (I think they may have worn grey, hooded robes). These guys give the crew of the space-ship a grilling for mucking about with time, and I think it is around this point that the film ends. The view pulls back from the space-station, which I think is in the shape of a frame of a very regular cube, spinning slowly. The title music, I remember, is very haunting.

All in all, sometimes I wonder if I had dreamt watching this film, it is so surreal - can any of you folks give me any ideas?

Thanks

Josef
Old 01-06-2013, 03:29 PM
After many, many years, I found out. It's a Franco-Hungarian film called Les Maîtres du temps, aka Masters of Time or Time Masters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Ma%C3%AEtres_du_temps

According to the Wiki article, the BBC aired it twice: once in 1987 and again in 1991. Looks like I stumbled on it both times as a child. The haunting title music I mentioned in my 2001(!) post is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEe6z5z8ww8
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM
12 years reply ftw !!!1

that's the movie were giant mosquitos suck the brains of people , right ?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 AM
OP delivered! Very cool.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 AM
threads like these are the best delights when they're resurrected.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 AM
That has to be a record for amount of time between a schmoe's ONLY two posts.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I really want this person to be a regular poster on these forums!!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 PM