Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Movies you loved as a kid, but turned out to be awful

I recently caught King Soloman's Mines (the Richard Chamberlin one) on some cable channel the other day and, seeing as it was near the start, decided to sit down and watch it. I loved this movie as a kid.

Well it turned out to absolutely awful! Badly acted, dodgy special effects and horrific attempts at comedy. I forgot Sharon Stone was in it actually.

Obviously as a kid, my expectations aren't particularly high. I loved all the Police Academy movies too. Apart from the first one, those are some seriously shit movies. Battlestar Galatica the movie also a childhood fav, was decidedly naff.

Anybody else revisited a childhood favourite, to find them absolutely godawful crap?!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
The Neverending Story
The Little Rascals
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3
Junior
Ladybugs

I don't know if I'd call them "awful" per se, but they just don't hold up for me.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
simple reply : most of them

aging well is not a quality of most movies.

i mean , Fast Time at Ridgemond High is probably the best "remove top of your swinsuit" scene ever but the movie is average at best. And yeah Fuck You Kevin Kline haha !
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
remember The Beastmaster? haha I think that was one of my favorite movies as a kid

1.Cloak and Dagger
2.Police Academy movies (although the second one I thought wasn't that bad)
3.the Garbage Pail Kids movie (okay I'll be honest haha)
4.Masters of the Universe(I do hope they finally make a good He-Man movie with the old villains. the only problem I had with that movie as a kid was the introduction of new villains. they only had skeletor, beast man, and evil lyn from the television show)
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Nothing, they all still rock.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Time Bandits
Sleepwalkers
Beverly Hills Cop III
Explorers
Godzilla 1985

If it wasn't for the really good opening, I'd say Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 PM
I guess most, if not all, of the Ernest movies are technically bad movies. Though I still watch them fondly.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Ones I definitely need to rewatch before deciding(haven't seen many of these in full since their heyday):

Adventures In Babysitting
The Black Hole
Beetlejuice
Little Shop Of Horrors
Psycho II & III
Buckaroo Bansai
C.H.U.D.
Alligator
Critters
Ice Pirates
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Ones I definitely need to rewatch before deciding(haven't seen many of these in full since their heyday):

Beetlejuice
Little Shop Of Horrors
Psycho II
Buckaroo Bansai
Alligator
Critters
No.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blknge89 View Post
Cosign.

I recently rewatched The Brave Little Toaster stoned the other week and absolutely still loved it.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Oh, I just thought of a real one.

RoboCop 2 - I remember enjoying it as a kid, but I saw it again within the last six months and it's actually pretty bad.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM
I expected :

The Neverending Story 1 & 2
The Last Unicorn
Labyrinth
The Dark Crystal
Legend

to all suck, but when i rewatched them fairly recently I realized they were still dope.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
3 Ninjas comes to mind, lol.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Flatliners! Didn't love it as a kid (it entertained me) but I put it on streaming recently and was horrified by how bad it is.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Jurassic Park
The Ninja Turtles Movies
3 Ninja's Movies
Hook

I'm sure there's a shit-ton of others I am forgetting at the moment, but I WILL say the Back to the Future flicks have held up quite nicely! I fucking loved those as a kid and I still do.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blknge89 View Post
agreed
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Flatliners! Didn't love it as a kid (it entertained me) but I put it on streaming recently and was horrified by how bad it is.
GOOD ONE! Yeah, that movie really blows now.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM
not a movie but Full House for me

movies-
Home Alone 2
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 AM
I still have a soft spot for most movies I enjoyed in my youth. The only ones that I really will no longer touch with a 10-foot pole are the "Police Academy" movies and "Teen Wolf."
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
Phenomenal!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Oh, I just thought of a real one.

RoboCop 2 - I remember enjoying it as a kid, but I saw it again within the last six months and it's actually pretty bad.
Yeah Robocop 2 is a real turd.

Another childhood favorite I rewatched lastnight was Commando..Pure 100% Grade A Wisconsin Cheese now but as a kid it was incredible.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
Yeah Robocop 2 is a real turd.

Another childhood favorite I rewatched lastnight was Commando..Pure 100% Grade A Wisconsin Cheese now but as a kid it was incredible.
I enjoyed Commando as a kid because it was like forbidden fruit and was so violent and awesome.

As an adult it is still awesome because it's so cheesy!

But yeah, Robocop 2 is shit. The kid in that really annoys me, I was so happy when he got killed.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
I agree with many listed:

Robocop 2
Flatliners
Neverending Story
Teen Wolf

(most other titles mentioned I didn't even care for even when I was a kid lol)

I actually still like ICE PIRATES. I watched it about 3 years ago and was laughing my ass off.

Here are a few others:

The Dirt Bike Kid
The Peanut Butter Solution
Mask (Cher, not Jim Carrey)

Hm... I was thinking there would be more, but it looks like others beat me to it!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Another one was Saturday the 14th..I remember renting this as a kid and I thought it was funny and so when I happened to come across it on Netflix I pressed play and I don't think I made it through 10 minutes

Last edited by Beard_of_Meat; 01-21-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I agree with many listed:

Robocop 2
Flatliners
Neverending Story
Teen Wolf

(most other titles mentioned I didn't even care for even when I was a kid lol)

I actually still like ICE PIRATES. I watched it about 3 years ago and was laughing my ass off.

Here are a few others:

The Dirt Bike Kid
The Peanut Butter Solution
Mask (Cher, not Jim Carrey)
I actually like Mask. Some fine performances by Cher and Sam Elliott. Never liked Robocop 2. I saw Ice Pirates in the theater and haven't seen it since then, 1984 I believe. I remember it being very fun. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Yeah, Commando is pretty bad. But still FUN bad.

Also wanna add to the films that I need to reevaluate:

The Last Starfighter
A Christmas Story
My Bodyguard
Lucas(will probably suck)
Vamp(I so hope I still like this)
Top Secret
Children Of The Corn
Year Of The Dragon
Young Sherlock Holmes
Ghoulies(pretty sure this will suck)
D.A.R.Y.L.
House(1986) - I remember loving it
Trick Or Treat(1986)
Wanted Dead Or Alive - I fucking loved this. I hope I still do.
Spoiler:
The end when Rutger Hauer walks away from the main bad guy after pulling the pin on the grenade in his mouth. Fucking aces.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Just thought of another one:

Rocky IV

And I can't believe people are listing Flatliners. I still like that movie a lot. Joel Schumacher rules.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
And I can't believe people are listing Flatliners. I still like that movie a lot. Joel Schumacher rules.
<ahem>Batman costume w/nipples<cough>
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
<ahem>Batman costume w/nipples<cough>
Batman Forever was awesome, but yes, Batman & Robin was awful. Still, the guy has made so many awesome movies (Falling Down, A Time to Kill, 8mm, The Client, Tigerland, Phone Booth, The Lost Boys, etc.) that he's more than up for it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 AM
I recall watching the 1973 version of The Three Musketeers and its follow-up over and over again on a beta tape and loving them more and more after each watch. Then they came out on DVD and the nostalgic in me decided that they must be bought! I was actually quite surprised how silly and bloated they were by todays standards.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Godzilla films from the sixties and seventies. As a kid I could only remember the good parts, but as an adult it's just not worth watching trough all the boring stuff for a few minutes of monster action.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 AM
any Chuck Norris movie haha
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angliawatson View Post
Time Bandits
Sleepwalkers
Beverly Hills Cop III
Explorers
Godzilla 1985
Interesting.....
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
The TV show Dinosaurs. That did not age well.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Beverly Hills Cop III
Casper
Teen Wolf
Born to be Wild
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Home Alone 3
Three Ninjas

Are the first that came to mind
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
The TV show Dinosaurs. That did not age well.
I always hated that show.
Funny thing, though is for Christmas one year my step-sister got the CD soundtrack for ALADDIN. Instead of ALADDIN (the CD was labeled as the soundtrack), she got a music compilation of characters from the TV show DINOSAURS instead.
She was like, "yeah, it was a song with that stupid baby saying 'GOTTA LOVE ME!' on it."

I wanted her to keep it, but she wanted the soundtrack so she turned it in. Awesome "error" disc, though!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Predator 2 is another movie I remember liking as a kid, but saw not that long ago and it's pretty mediocre.

Stallone's Cobra also comes to mind. It's a pretty terrible movie now.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 AM
"George of the Jungle" and "The Goonies". Why on earth I loved them? They're beyond horrible, but as a kid I also loved eating rocks, so...
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_state View Post
"George of the Jungle" and "The Goonies". Why on earth I loved them? They're beyond horrible, but as a kid I also loved eating rocks, so...
The Goonies still stands up today I think! It's a classic.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Neverending story. I regret watching it few years ago, I should've stayed in memory's wonderland where this is the greatest movie ever made and special effects looks "just like real life".

I still love Limahl's song though. Neverending storyyyyy ooohoooohhhh.