Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Do you think that video games should be restricted to a certain age level

Well in Ausralia at the moment you have to be 18 to buy a game these days

A child or teen under the age of 18 can not buy games in the game shops these days

I feel it is a good idea they are becoming restricted and not so easy to get

I feel that these days kids and teenage boys act out what they see and our society is becoming volient
I am not saying all kids are like this but something has to be done

it is the same as porno films being restricted to young kids and they can not buy thiem off the shelfs as the used too years back

Do you think that video games should be given a r rating so if you are under 18 yrs of age you can not buy them

Also if they want to do this shouldnt certain things like porno and online games get the same ban
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I've never seen anything that would show violent video games lead to an increase in violent crime.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 PM
As a kid and as a teen, video games were a great way to vent out feelings of violent anger that I had. I feel that they are an outlet for rage and a better replacement for it. The fact that a few stupid seeds become violent has more to do with the parents than anything else. 90% of parents(that we know about) still spank their kids. When you somehow get the idea that violence is okay to get what you want, this is where the problem arises.

Passing the buck and wanting the government to come and babysit their children(and everyone else) is why I have a problem with people having kids and why I have a beef with so many parents.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Well l mean you are not going to stop kids mucking up but there has been a study where kids and teens take there anger out and try to play wha they are seeing in real life
But that is not all kids who do this
I have played video games and when you look at it it looks so real compared to playstation 1 games

I feel with young kids there needs to be supervision from parents to see how they child is reacting to the game

You see some kids can be loners and vent there anger or how they are feeling on the game they are playing

I was watching a report this morning and they said in Australia they were restriction children and teens from buying volient games until they are 18

But then they could go to a freinds house who have parents who dont care or older brothers and sisiters who can get the game for them

There are effects to some kids and you cant say there isnt
We are becoming a more volient society and if they find out that some of the games are pretraying a certain behavoir and they are following well you have too stop it

And l do agree some kids are not effected by playing volient games while others are why would you think they would pass law in Australia if there was not a problem

Also they need to get a hold of online games which hav ehte same thing
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well l mean you are not going to stop kids mucking up but there has been a study where kids and teens take there anger out and try to play wha they are seeing in real life
But that is not all kids who do this
I have played video games and when you look at it it looks so real compared to playstation 1 games

I feel with young kids there needs to be supervision from parents to see how they child is reacting to the game

You see some kids can be loners and vent there anger or how they are feeling on the game they are playing

I was watching a report this morning and they said in Australia they were restriction children and teens from buying volient games until they are 18

But then they could go to a freinds house who have parents who dont care or older brothers and sisiters who can get the game for them

There are effects to some kids and you cant say there isnt
We are becoming a more volient society and if they find out that some of the games are pretraying a certain behavoir and they are following well you have too stop it

And l do agree some kids are not effected by playing volient games while others are why would you think they would pass law in Australia if there was not a problem

Also they need to get a hold of online games which hav ehte same thing
I thought violent crime was down in Australia. I'm pretty sure the world trend has been toward less violence.

The law gets passed because people would rather do that than invest quality time in raising their kids, making sure they come up right. Easier to place the blame elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Somehow there's this irrationality/panic bubble in the brain that pops up every time someone has a kid where they want the fucking government to babysit their kids and do the parenting for them. And the world is just saturated with laziness, ignorance, and stupidity. I don't believe that people are inherently stupid; but the problem, I think, is culture. Culture is behind so many of these idiotic beliefs; and a big part of that is the military-industrial complex as well as the prison-industrial complex(beginning with government schools).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 AM
regardless of the restrictions you could put on certain products, there will always be a way around them. it all comes down to good parenting... either that or people should just stop having kinds in general.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Norway Mass murderer says he trained by playing Call of Duty.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83015588/

Of course he's a full grown man, so restricting him from the game would have never happened. We can attack video games, but at the end of the day there are hundreds of millions of people playing the game who won't go on to kill anyone. He's an anomaly, especially in Norway where the quality of life and community are very high.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
I feel that these days kids and teenage boys act out what they see and our society is becoming volient
I am not saying all kids are like this but something has to be done
Yeah, parents and people in general need to start taking responsibility for their actions/failure to raise their kids properly instead of finding a scapegoat whether it be video games, TV, films, music etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
I thought violent crime was down in Australia. I'm pretty sure the world trend has been toward less violence.

The law gets passed because people would rather do that than invest quality time in raising their kids, making sure they come up right. Easier to place the blame elsewhere.
Well gun crime is the one that is down in Australia to some exstent

I have to agree that alot of parents do not spend time with there children because half of the time they are out working to pay the bills or are way to tired to see what there children are buying in the video game feild
Plus theses days they have acades where children can play video games too

I just feel that games these days are way to volient for some kids to handle and it is not only teenagers getting into them

I know myself they you can easily get hooked and well you want to kill the monster or waht ever they are going after

These days on the computer you can download games and one l think it is wizard warcraft l nmight be wrong on this game name but it is where you can become who ever you want and you play loads of people

I feel that you have to restrict games to young kids and sometimes l think that 18 is way to low maybe 25 years old might be better

At least at this age the brain is more mature to handle this type of thing

I remember when l was younger we had a series called Ninga turtles and well they would kick each other and well it started a trend on kids doing waht they see on tv on that tv show

So l can understand that you have to look at waht is causing volience these days and you can buy such a variety of volient games from hitting each other to using a gun or knife as well as teaching children how to beat each other up
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Somehow there's this irrationality/panic bubble in the brain that pops up every time someone has a kid where they want the fucking government to babysit their kids and do the parenting for them. And the world is just saturated with laziness, ignorance, and stupidity. I don't believe that people are inherently stupid; but the problem, I think, is culture. Culture is behind so many of these idiotic beliefs; and a big part of that is the military-industrial complex as well as the prison-industrial complex(beginning with government schools).
Well it is true alot of parents want not the goverment all the time but they want to keep there children busy so they think poppoing them in front of a screen full of volience is the right thing to do

It isnt if you are a proper parent

before there were no restrictions but now it is good the goverment is stampnig down on things instead of some kids reinaction waht they are seeing in a video game

But this is not only here in Australia it is in most countries where kids can buy volinet games

In China they have had to give alot of kids professial help because they are addicted to games volient ones mostly

But l have to point out again not all kids go off killing or basing other kids or adults it is only some who get out of hand
But it is to the point that the goverment has to restrict rated R video games
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Norway Mass murderer says he trained by playing Call of Duty.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83015588/

Of course he's a full grown man, so restricting him from the game would have never happened. We can attack video games, but at the end of the day there are hundreds of millions of people playing the game who won't go on to kill anyone. He's an anomaly, especially in Norway where the quality of life and community are very high.
Well there have been some students who went on a rampage of a local college l think it was the collibine college and they were both watching volient games before they went out on a shoot out killing all those kids

Is there a restriction on video games in America or can any child go iinto a shop and get a volient game of there own choosing




http://au.gamespot.com/news/10-most-...-named-6140463
I was looking on the interent and this link says this is the most volient games around

So l ask you do you think this list is the most volient game you have played or is there worse

You can list them id you wish

Plus you can compare waht you think of them too

Last edited by Bondgirl; 01-10-2013 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Is there a restriction on video games in America or can any child go iinto a shop and get a volient game of there own choosing

There are restrictions. A teen cannot go buy a Mature rated video game. Generally though, nobody pays attention to the ratings.

I don't even think as a cashier you get flagged to check for an ID when selling M rated video games like you would with alcohol or certain chemicals etc. but I could be wrong it's been a while.

Given the ratings system the whole argument is moot. Enforce the laws that already exist, don't let the government control anything more of our lives.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post

But l have to point out again not all kids go off killing or basing other kids or adults it is only some who get out of hand
But it is to the point that the goverment has to restrict rated R video games
You should go further than saying not all kids. There's no proven link between violence and video games. Saying it's gotten to the point where they have to do something about it makes it sound like it's getting worse. I'm sure I've seen stats that say violence in the world is decreasing.

The FBI stats for 2011 show that Americans commit 466 violent acts for every 100,000 citizens. Americans are super violent right, according to much of the world. Every kid with a console has played Call of Duty. That and there are 88 guns in America for every 100 people.

Now look at Britian. Couldn't find Australia. Hardly any guns compared to America. A fraction of the gun deaths compared to America. I'm sure they are playing just as much Call of Duty there as here. 2,034 violent crimes for every 100,000 people. WHY SO VIOLENT? considered the most violent country in the European Union.

SO difficult to show what causes violence.

I'm worried the day will come when some people will hear about a young kid playing an age restricted game, and they'll think it's child endangerment. You'll have the cops and child protection serves knocking on your door to make sure you are not letting your child play Resident Evil, and that you keep it in a lock box. All because he told a kid at school that he played it or watched you play it.

Last edited by Preston_79; 01-11-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-11-2013, 04:40 PM
To answer the topic, no, BG...I don't.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Restricted no but parental discretion IS advised .... when a father buys GTA4 for his 12 yo , it's a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
I'm worried the day will come when some people will hear about a young kid playing an age restricted game, and they'll think it's child endangerment. You'll have the cops and child protection serves knocking on your door to make sure you are not letting your child play Resident Evil, and that you keep it in a lock box. All because he told a kid at school that he played it or watched you play it.
You may be more right than you know. Kids are being monitored 20X more now than when I was in school 25 years ago. I'm so glad I'm not a kid in school NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
SO difficult to show what causes violence.
Violent parenting(whether verbal or physical); coupled with the horrific, ass backwards belief taught at schools that violence is okay to get what you want(also taught by parents) through things like bullying, by kids+adults, and being taught routinely in schools shrouded in one form or another(governments, war, etc.). Not to mention the insidiousness of conformity, fear of authority, what-have-you.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
To answer the topic, no, BG...I don't.
So you are saying that there is no effects on childrens behaviour when playing voient games

Or are you saying that there should not be a rating on what a child plays

Also when you are saying that when a cashier sells a game they should just let it slide because it is just a game that should not be on

Well l have to say l disagree if a person sells a R rated film they should be fined for selling the product to someone who is under age

Just the same as someone selling alcohol or ciggies there should be conqences for it
I also think that there has been problems with childrens behaviour since games have been on the market
Plus the games are so real when you look at them and the things they do in them is shocking
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Okay, BG...I'll bite. But heed my warning, it's a big bite.

Before I say anything, I'll address my current situation: I'm an American single adult male in my late 20s with no children. I say this to establish the approach that I am taking: I have no personal stake on whether any restriction/regulation takes place on video games. There's nobody I wish to protect and nobody in particular who I don't want games in the hands of. I'll try to convey my view as unbiased as I can.

BG, I only answered your question directly: No, I don't think that video games should be restricted to a certain age level. But it must be said that your question's premise isn't complete. Now I understand you want to have a discussion, and that's perfectly fine. But there are many layers in this conversation that must be recognized and addressed.

So let's start with your arguments and questions (which I'll answer as clearly as I can), here we go:

Am I saying that there are no effects on children's behavior when playing violent games?

I can mostly speak from personal experience. I was 8 years old when the first MORTAL KOMBAT game was released into arcades. I didn't play the game, as arcades were on their way out (or so I thought, I didn't realize that MK and STREET FIGHTER were giving arcades a second life). I was 9 when I got the Sega Genesis port to play at home (those who know their history know that the Genesis port was the only one to specifically have blood), and I played that game for hours on end. I enjoyed every minute of it: the fighting, the realistic (for the time) graphics, the back story and mythologies surrounding MK, and everything in between. I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I didn't want to take my experience off screen and into real life. That's not to say that I wanted to commit acts of violence on another person. Far from it, I had no intentions of harming anyone. I was geared more towards breaking objects (TEST YOUR MIGHT!) like boards, in a controlled environment. Lucky for me, I was enrolled in a martial arts class; and this gave me the experience I was looking for.

To answer this question, no, I'm not saying that they don't have an effect. I am saying that yes, there are effects on children's behavior, most definitely. But that's not the whole of the answer; it's much more complex than that. Numerous studies have gone into HOW video games have affected behavior. I won't get into specific statistics (we can all get tied up in which institutions found what). When talking about the psychology, be careful what you say. Personally, I feel that I can say with absolute certainty that there is no direct, undeniable link between a violent video game and real life violence. To me, it's just not there. If you want more than just an opinion, US Surgeon General John Ashcroft (in a rare moment of genius) put out a statement that he saw no apparent link between video game violence and real life violence after reviewing a time period of mass media. But some parents have taken a liking to saying that there's a link between violent games and real life aggression, and that's a different argument which is harder to counter.

Am I saying that there should not be a rating on what a child plays?

Absolutely, I think there should be. I personally think that the Electronic Software Rating Board (aka the ESRB, an American organization that gives games ratings) has done a more than satisfactory job, giving concerned parents who buy their kids' games the information they need to make informed purchases. It's true that there have been a few incidents (GTA San Andreas' Hot Coffee incident, namely) where the ESRB's integrity was called into question, but the manner in which they responded to such incidents were swift and tactful. Keep in mind, the job of the ESRB (or any non-US eqivalent) isn't to enforce any kind of restriction upon any consumer or individual from playing a game, but rather to inform the public about what type of content is contained within a game and then to let the consumer decide what to do from there, nothing more. It's not their job to say "you can't play this game." They're just there to say "look, this is what's in this game, this is what you can expect to see"

Quote:
Also when you are saying that when a cashier sells a game they should just let it slide because it is just a game that should not be on
Forgive me, but I don't understand what is being asked here...

Quote:
Just the same as someone selling alcohol or ciggies there should be conqences for it
Okay, I have to step in here and object to how you're phrasing this argument. You are likening the (sometimes graphic) violent and sexual content in a video game to alcohol and tobacco. In my view, that's completely the wrong way to go, and it's really not a fair way of looking at it. Video games aren't akin to consuming those substances. Instead, I think that you should be looking at video games the same way you view movies, comic books, novels, music, and television, and that's as a medium of entertainment rather than as a simple vice.

Quote:
...the games are so real when you look at them and the things they do in them is shocking
I do agree, technology has continuously evolved to a point where game developers who make these games are able to provide a more realistic and lifelike experience, but that's always been the case. Back in the 1970s, there was a side-scrolling arcade game based on the movie DEATH RACE 2000 that was deemed too violent because when a car hit a stick figure representing a person, a cross on a mound (representing a grave) appeared, implying they died. Yes, video games look realistic now...just imagine how much more realistic they'll get in the future.

Then again, video games isn't the first medium to come under this type of fire. Going back all the way to the previous century, there have always been expressed concerns and even protests of new entertainment. Back then, it was books that contained writings that described graphic sexual scenes. As you'd expect, this led to book burnings, and (due to lack of adequate, civilized law) executions of authors. Of course, it didn't stop there; the questionable content spilled over into photography, film, music, comic books, and then into movies, TV, video games, and most currently, the Internet. This issue of this type of content in any form of entertainment is far from over...

The way concerned individuals are speaking of violent video games now, concerned people spoke of The Beatles in the 1960s...and then of the direction (lyrically sexual and even suicidal in nature) that was taken by rock 'n' roll in the decades that were to come (bands of note: KISS, The Who, Slayer, Judas Priest, Metallica). They also spoke the same way of comic books when those came under fire...

It's true, new entertainment always has some type of influence on people (at least that's the claim afterward), but it's important to note that those few cases should not be representative of the vast majority that AREN'T influenced. Rules and regulations that retroactively aim to curtail the actions of the few after the fact should not be imposed upon everyone else who didn't commit these real life violent acts. To enact new laws and strict regulations in light of public tragedies where people claim video games is a factor is to punish the mass majority because of the actions of an obvious few.

Okay, now I'm babbling...

I believe that sex and violence in video games has an appeal to people simply because both sex and violence THEMSELVES have an appeal to people. If ever you needed proof, just click on over to AITH and MOVIE HOTTIES. They've got all the bloody, gory, and sexy evidence you need to back that up.

Yes, there is a lot of violence and sex in video games and other mediums, and a lot of people enjoy it. I know I do, and I hope it never stops. If you're a parent and don't approve, I beg you, please don't rely on governmental institutions to censor and sanitize the content on such a public level. It may be safe for your own children, but what about us, those who don't have kids to protect that DO want to see that type of content? There's nothing wrong with the content itself.

Personally, if you really want to censor all mediums that have obscene and damaging material, I suggest starting with the Bible. That book's full of stuff that should be censored...

TL;DR

There shouldn't be age restrictions, but at the same time, there shouldn't be some enforcement agency doing the parenting for you. Do some active parenting, and don't just say "no, you can't play this game" and leave it at that; educate the little bugger and make them understand the difference between reality and fantasy. Also, don't make rules that apply to everyone because of a few people; that just punishes those who didn't do anything.

Last edited by Exophrine; 01-12-2013 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well there have been some students who went on a rampage of a local college l think it was the collibine college and they were both watching volient games before they went out on a shoot out killing all those kids

Seriously? Collibine college? Who is this troll? WHY IS HE/SHE STILL HERE??

These forums are fucked.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
These forums are fucked.
Been that way for a while sadly. (And not because of Bondgirl.)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
Seriously? Collibine college? Who is this troll? WHY IS HE/SHE STILL HERE??

These forums are fucked.
And mostly because people would rather post about a particular schmoe instead of the topic that is being discussed - throwing the thread off track. Thanks for that .

I'm for the ratings system that the U.S. has, only I'm for it being more strictly enforced. There's nothing wrong with kids playing Mario Kart or some of the lego games, but the more violent games need to be kept away from minors. I don't think most retailers adhere to the ratings system though.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
And mostly because people would rather post about a particular schmoe instead of the topic that is being discussed - throwing the thread off track. Thanks for that .

I'm for the ratings system that the U.S. has, only I'm for it being more strictly enforced. There's nothing wrong with kids playing Mario Kart or some of the lego games, but the more violent games need to be kept away from minors. I don't think most retailers adhere to the ratings system though.
I don't think kids should be sold the mature rated games, but I have no problem with parents buying the games and letting their kids playing to their hearts content. I don't see a need to keep them away from minors as long as their parents are cool with it. That kid will probably grow up more well adjusted than the kid who's parents sheltered them.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Video games cause people to do violent crimes? What? You know how many 12 year olds play Call of Duty for hours on end every day? Where are the news reports of 12 year olds getting guns and shooting other people? Violent video games are just an outlet to avoid the real issue. If someone shoots up their school or does a heinous crime, they won't look at the fact that the person might've had any sort of mental illness. But oh, it shows they played Manhunt sometime before they went out, it's obviously Manhunt's fault. Blaming video games for what people do in real life is utterly lazy and blinds people to focus on the real issues, the person.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
I don't think kids should be sold the mature rated games, but I have no problem with parents buying the games and letting their kids playing to their hearts content. I don't see a need to keep them away from minors as long as their parents are cool with it. That kid will probably grow up more well adjusted than the kid who's parents sheltered them.
I can go along with that (I'm a new parent). I'm all for parent involvement as long as there is some education and discussion about the games vs. reality.

I probably should've thrown in that I'm not much of a gamer, never have been. My biggest involvement in games was NCAA football games on the PS2.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
Video games cause people to do violent crimes? What? You know how many 12 year olds play Call of Duty for hours on end every day? Where are the news reports of 12 year olds getting guns and shooting other people? Violent video games are just an outlet to avoid the real issue. If someone shoots up their school or does a heinous crime, they won't look at the fact that the person might've had any sort of mental illness. But oh, it shows they played Manhunt sometime before they went out, it's obviously Manhunt's fault. Blaming video games for what people do in real life is utterly lazy and blinds people to focus on the real issues, the person.
I'm not saying that playing violent video games had anything to do with any of these, but the Columbine shooters were 18 & 17-years old when they went on their rampage. That's 6 and 5 years apart from your 12-year old example.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Norway Mass murderer says he trained by playing Call of Duty.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83015588/

Of course he's a full grown man, so restricting him from the game would have never happened. We can attack video games, but at the end of the day there are hundreds of millions of people playing the game who won't go on to kill anyone. He's an anomaly, especially in Norway where the quality of life and community are very high.
That's what came to my mind when I saw this thread. At the end of the day, violent video games can certainly lead to people acting out violently, but it's not a question of age. I feel those people are just predisposed to violent behavior, and the video games may encourage them to act (whether it's desensitizing or warping their view on the value of human life or something completely different).

I do think the rating system in the US should be enforced a bit more strongly, but then again, it's all about money. Modern Warfare 2 had the "biggest launch in entertainment history." That doesn't happen if 14 year olds can't buy the game.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
Seriously? Collibine college? Who is this troll? WHY IS HE/SHE STILL HERE??

These forums are fucked.
maybe l got confused in this topic but l think being called a troll is very stupid
I like Exophines reponce to me and maybe at some point l confused him but he didnt treat me with disrepect like you are maybe he has gotten to know me as a member so he has the understanding and is mature in his answers to em and l can see he tried to answer qestions and l am glad he tried

Just because l spelt someting wrong doesnt mean l have to be attacked by you okay maybe if you dont like the way l spell maybe you need to by pass me

I have tried to make a topic on video games and l am trying my best in trying to post in there so leave me alone
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
Okay, BG...I'll bite. But heed my warning, it's a big bite.

Before I say anything, I'll address my current situation: I'm an American single adult male in my late 20s with no children. I say this to establish the approach that I am taking: I have no personal stake on whether any restriction/regulation takes place on video games. There's nobody I wish to protect and nobody in particular who I don't want games in the hands of. I'll try to convey my view as unbiased as I can.

BG, I only answered your question directly: No, I don't think that video games should be restricted to a certain age level. But it must be said that your question's premise isn't complete. Now I understand you want to have a discussion, and that's perfectly fine. But there are many layers in this conversation that must be recognized and addressed.

So let's start with your arguments and questions (which I'll answer as clearly as I can), here we go:

Am I saying that there are no effects on children's behavior when playing violent games?

I can mostly speak from personal experience. I was 8 years old when the first MORTAL KOMBAT game was released into arcades. I didn't play the game, as arcades were on their way out (or so I thought, I didn't realize that MK and STREET FIGHTER were giving arcades a second life). I was 9 when I got the Sega Genesis port to play at home (those who know their history know that the Genesis port was the only one to specifically have blood), and I played that game for hours on end. I enjoyed every minute of it: the fighting, the realistic (for the time) graphics, the back story and mythologies surrounding MK, and everything in between. I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I didn't want to take my experience off screen and into real life. That's not to say that I wanted to commit acts of violence on another person. Far from it, I had no intentions of harming anyone. I was geared more towards breaking objects (TEST YOUR MIGHT!) like boards, in a controlled environment. Lucky for me, I was enrolled in a martial arts class; and this gave me the experience I was looking for.

To answer this question, no, I'm not saying that they don't have an effect. I am saying that yes, there are effects on children's behavior, most definitely. But that's not the whole of the answer; it's much more complex than that. Numerous studies have gone into HOW video games have affected behavior. I won't get into specific statistics (we can all get tied up in which institutions found what). When talking about the psychology, be careful what you say. Personally, I feel that I can say with absolute certainty that there is no direct, undeniable link between a violent video game and real life violence. To me, it's just not there. If you want more than just an opinion, US Surgeon General John Ashcroft (in a rare moment of genius) put out a statement that he saw no apparent link between video game violence and real life violence after reviewing a time period of mass media. But some parents have taken a liking to saying that there's a link between violent games and real life aggression, and that's a different argument which is harder to counter.

Am I saying that there should not be a rating on what a child plays?

Absolutely, I think there should be. I personally think that the Electronic Software Rating Board (aka the ESRB, an American organization that gives games ratings) has done a more than satisfactory job, giving concerned parents who buy their kids' games the information they need to make informed purchases. It's true that there have been a few incidents (GTA San Andreas' Hot Coffee incident, namely) where the ESRB's integrity was called into question, but the manner in which they responded to such incidents were swift and tactful. Keep in mind, the job of the ESRB (or any non-US eqivalent) isn't to enforce any kind of restriction upon any consumer or individual from playing a game, but rather to inform the public about what type of content is contained within a game and then to let the consumer decide what to do from there, nothing more. It's not their job to say "you can't play this game." They're just there to say "look, this is what's in this game, this is what you can expect to see"


Forgive me, but I don't understand what is being asked here...


Okay, I have to step in here and object to how you're phrasing this argument. You are likening the (sometimes graphic) violent and sexual content in a video game to alcohol and tobacco. In my view, that's completely the wrong way to go, and it's really not a fair way of looking at it. Video games aren't akin to consuming those substances. Instead, I think that you should be looking at video games the same way you view movies, comic books, novels, music, and television, and that's as a medium of entertainment rather than as a simple vice.


I do agree, technology has continuously evolved to a point where game developers who make these games are able to provide a more realistic and lifelike experience, but that's always been the case. Back in the 1970s, there was a side-scrolling arcade game based on the movie DEATH RACE 2000 that was deemed too violent because when a car hit a stick figure representing a person, a cross on a mound (representing a grave) appeared, implying they died. Yes, video games look realistic now...just imagine how much more realistic they'll get in the future.

Then again, video games isn't the first medium to come under this type of fire. Going back all the way to the previous century, there have always been expressed concerns and even protests of new entertainment. Back then, it was books that contained writings that described graphic sexual scenes. As you'd expect, this led to book burnings, and (due to lack of adequate, civilized law) executions of authors. Of course, it didn't stop there; the questionable content spilled over into photography, film, music, comic books, and then into movies, TV, video games, and most currently, the Internet. This issue of this type of content in any form of entertainment is far from over...

The way concerned individuals are speaking of violent video games now, concerned people spoke of The Beatles in the 1960s...and then of the direction (lyrically sexual and even suicidal in nature) that was taken by rock 'n' roll in the decades that were to come (bands of note: KISS, The Who, Slayer, Judas Priest, Metallica). They also spoke the same way of comic books when those came under fire...

It's true, new entertainment always has some type of influence on people (at least that's the claim afterward), but it's important to note that those few cases should not be representative of the vast majority that AREN'T influenced. Rules and regulations that retroactively aim to curtail the actions of the few after the fact should not be imposed upon everyone else who didn't commit these real life violent acts. To enact new laws and strict regulations in light of public tragedies where people claim video games is a factor is to punish the mass majority because of the actions of an obvious few.

Okay, now I'm babbling...

I believe that sex and violence in video games has an appeal to people simply because both sex and violence THEMSELVES have an appeal to people. If ever you needed proof, just click on over to AITH and MOVIE HOTTIES. They've got all the bloody, gory, and sexy evidence you need to back that up.

Yes, there is a lot of violence and sex in video games and other mediums, and a lot of people enjoy it. I know I do, and I hope it never stops. If you're a parent and don't approve, I beg you, please don't rely on governmental institutions to censor and sanitize the content on such a public level. It may be safe for your own children, but what about us, those who don't have kids to protect that DO want to see that type of content? There's nothing wrong with the content itself.

Personally, if you really want to censor all mediums that have obscene and damaging material, I suggest starting with the Bible. That book's full of stuff that should be censored...

TL;DR

There shouldn't be age restrictions, but at the same time, there shouldn't be some enforcement agency doing the parenting for you. Do some active parenting, and don't just say "no, you can't play this game" and leave it at that; educate the little bugger and make them understand the difference between reality and fantasy. Also, don't make rules that apply to everyone because of a few people; that just punishes those who didn't do anything.
Hey l want to thankyou Exophine
I know you had trouble answering all my qestions when l went off line well the computer went down
Well l couldnt correct everything l wrote so what you wrote here was pretty good
Geez you were 8 years old when you started playing viideo games
That is young but when you say you were at the acacade playing you would hace thought they would have a restriction on age but l have to agree that in Melbourne you see lots of young children going in those places and they do have a assortment of games but they are not as bad as the video games they currently have out

I feel that we need control on this type of thing and children need to be supervised when renting or buying games that is why we had to pass the law in Australia

I feel it is the right thing to do since parents cant seem to control wha tthere kids do

But it wont stop kids completely since some would just get older kids to get it for them
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Been that way for a while sadly. (And not because of Bondgirl.)
Well l dont consider this forum as crap
alot
Maybe if some of you started threads and posted in them things would be better
There is alot of members who are good at starting topics and have the brains to make someting out of this forum

It is just getting off your arse and improving what we have

Anyway this topic was going well so l would like to get back to it

I know there is alot of members here who like playing well volient games and it would be interesting to see waht they have to say
Just please bypass me if you dont like something l have said or spelt wrong please l just want to continue this conversation

Last edited by Bondgirl; 01-13-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Geez you were 8 years old when you started playing viideo games
Actually, I started playing at 3 or 4 years old. My earliest game-playing memory was playing DONKEY KONG on our ColecoVision. I spent a lot of Saturday mornings watching cartoons, and then playing afterward. It was my routine for many years...

MORTAL KOMBAT came out when I was 8, and I got the home port at the age of 9 (...and I saw the movie the day it was released in theatres). It was my first violent game, and I got a rush from the constant action, the split-second timing and strategy, the quick execution of button combinations...but it never gave me a huge blood lust, not anything like I have now.

I think I officially got that thirst when I started watching exploitation films and then THE EXPENDABLES really kicked it up a notch, haha.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump