Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM
The Last Stand

THE LAST STAND

Directed by Jee-woon Kim (The Good, The Bad, and The Weird; I Saw the Devil)

Written by Andrew Knauer and Jeffrey Nachmanoff and George Nolfi

Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Johnny Knoxville, Forest Whitaker, Luis Guzman, Peter Stormare

Rated R for strong bloody violence throughout, and language

Running Time of 107 Minutes

The leader of a drug cartel busts out of a courthouse and speeds to the Mexican border, where the only thing in his path is a sheriff and his inexperienced staff.

Yes, it's absolutely cool that even at 65 years old Arnold is making his return to the leading role in an action film. But what excites me most is Jee-woon Kim's debut in American cinema. Do I expect greatness? Absolutely not. But I'm hoping for a fun time, to be certain.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 AM

I can't wait for Arnie to be back!

As I said in another thread, between this, Bullet to the Head, A Good Day to Die Hard and possibly The Tomb, this year sees the return of the old school, R rated action movie and I couldn't be more pleased and excited!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
This looks great.
Hopefully better then the last few Arnold films he did before he stopped for politics.
Although those movies were still some level of fun.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
arnie is still a badass motherfucker. 35 or 65 you can't take that away form him.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed View Post
This looks great.
Hopefully better then the last few Arnold films he did before he stopped for politics.
Although those movies were still some level of fun.
Yeah, most of Arnold's mid 90s-early 00s output is pretty weak. Collateral Damage is decent, and I like T3 (even if it is a lesser carbon copy of T2.) Still, shit like Eraser, End of Days, The 6th Day, etc. is just that... shit.

If this is a fun movie? I'd be so down.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Jee-Woon Kim.

That's why I'm pumped for this!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Yeah, most of Arnold's mid 90s-early 00s output is pretty weak. Collateral Damage is decent, and I like T3 (even if it is a lesser carbon copy of T2.) Still, shit like Eraser, End of Days, The 6th Day, etc. is just that... shit.

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. I love all of those.

I actually think Arnold gave a good performance in End of Days. He's actually playing a real character with a real arc. Now, admittedly, it's a pretty cliched and unoriginal character arc, but he's not just dispatching bad guys in the movie I thought. Plus, Gabriel Byrne's portrayal of Lucifer is ALMOST as memorable as Al Pacino's in Devil's Advocate, I thought.

Eraser is vintage Arnold Schwarzenegger IMO. It's got great action, a great baddie in James Caan, great one liners. You're luggage. And Arnold asking the kids: Where am I? Kids: Earth, welcome.

The 6th Day is one of Arnold's better movies I thought and once again, Arnold is surrounded by a superb supporting cast with the likes of Robert Duvall and Tony Goldwyn as another great villain.

So, yeah. I really dug all of those Schwarzenegger flicks.

Can't wait for this movie.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. I love all of those.

I actually think Arnold gave a good performance in End of Days. He's actually playing a real character with a real arc. Now, admittedly, it's a pretty cliched and unoriginal character arc, but he's not just dispatching bad guys in the movie I thought. Plus, Gabriel Byrne's portrayal of Lucifer is ALMOST as memorable as Al Pacino's in Devil's Advocate, I thought.

Eraser is vintage Arnold Schwarzenegger IMO. It's got great action, a great baddie in James Caan, great one liners. You're luggage. And Arnold asking the kids: Where am I? Kids: Earth, welcome.

The 6th Day is one of Arnold's better movies I thought and once again, Arnold is surrounded by a superb supporting cast with the likes of Robert Duvall and Tony Goldwyn as another great villain.

So, yeah. I really dug all of those Schwarzenegger flicks.

Can't wait for this movie.
Damn, really? I'm a huge Arnold fan but thought Eraser, the 6th Day, and End of Days are some of his worst. I would always start with Running Man, Commando, Twins, Predator before I ever started praising those three movies. Red Heat, Terminator, Conan... all better than those three in my opinion. Still though I'm pleased to hear anyone's an Arnold fan.

Last edited by Preston_79; 01-14-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Quote:
I can't wait for Arnie to be back!

As I said in another thread, between this, Bullet to the Head, A Good Day to Die Hard and possibly The Tomb, this year sees the return of the old school, R rated action movie and I couldn't be more pleased and excited!
Hopefully the films you mentioned will be able to capture some of that old school 80's style R-rated action because IMO neither of the Expendables films made good on that promise. Both of those films were weak and forgettable, and besides Jet Li fighting Dolph Lundgren in the first film, I didn't find any of the fight scenes or action sequences to be that engaging. It was really ironic to have Van Damme say the line "I want my money's worth!" in the expendables 2. As I was watching that terrible fight scene, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Even though I love Arnie, I'm trying to temper my expectations with this film because it's being released in the middle of January and everyone knows this is typically studio dump month. Still, I'll wait to see if any of you on this forum have fun with it and maybe I'll give it a go if word of mouth is positive.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
Hopefully the films you mentioned will be able to capture some of that old school 80's style R-rated action because IMO neither of the Expendables films made good on that promise. Both of those films were weak and forgettable, and besides Jet Li fighting Dolph Lundgren in the first film, I didn't find any of the fight scenes or action sequences to be that engaging. It was really ironic to have Van Damme say the line "I want my money's worth!" in the expendables 2. As I was watching that terrible fight scene, I was thinking the exact same thing.
Admittedly, the final showdown between Sly and Van Damme was a little disappointing. It was too short being my main problem. But in general, I really dug Expendables 2. I thought it was much better than the first. Van Damme actually made for a pretty awesome villain. There were some great one liners from almost everyone but especially between Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger. And I actually dug a lot of the action scenes. I'm not normally a fan of Chuck Norris but his scenes were awesome and Jason Statham had some great fight scenes. The "I now pronounce you man and knife" scene was especially kick ass.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Whoa the guy that directed I Saw the Devil directed this?!

I'm now officially interested
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
Jee-Woon Kim.

That's why I'm pumped for this!
Yep. I don't care about who is starring in it or what it's about. If Jee-Woon Kim is at the helm, I'm there.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM
From the trailers I am getting a The Good , The Bad , and the Weird type action vibe....which is good because that movie is fucking awesome.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Damn, really? I'm a huge Arnold fan but thought Eraser, the 6th Day, and End of Days are some of his worst. I would always start with Running Man, Commando, Twins, Predator before I ever started praising those three movies. Red Heat, Terminator, Conan... all better than those three in my opinion. Still though I'm pleased to hear anyone's an Arnold fan.
Running Man? I would definitely consider that to be one of Arnold's weaker movies. The others I enjoyed. Commando is a total cheesefest but it's a great big guilty pleasure.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Yep. I don't care about who is starring in it or what it's about. If Jee-Woon Kim is at the helm, I'm there.
Same. I'm not expecting greatness, but I hope he can make it unique.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Admittedly, the final showdown between Sly and Van Damme was a little disappointing. It was too short being my main problem. But in general, I really dug Expendables 2. I thought it was much better than the first. Van Damme actually made for a pretty awesome villain. There were some great one liners from almost everyone but especially between Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger. And I actually dug a lot of the action scenes. I'm not normally a fan of Chuck Norris but his scenes were awesome and Jason Statham had some great fight scenes. The "I now pronounce you man and knife" scene was especially kick ass.
The Expendables 2 got closer to accomplishing its goal than the previous installment, but it still fell short for me. Willis and Schwarzenegger were fun to watch, but their parts only really added up to extended cameos. Norris really didn't do anything for me, and the film pretty much proves that the jokes and mythology surrounding him are much more interesting than his actual performances. Jason Statham and Dolph Lundgren's characters were given some really lame parts in this go around, and Jet Li was in the film for all of 5 minutes before disappearing for most of its run time.

I like Terry Crews, but they still haven't given him anything really interesting to do and Randy Coture just can't act, even in a film that doesn't require very stellar acting! I could tell Van Damme was having a bit of fun as the villain in the film, but he should of been in the film a bit more, his lines should have been better, his fight scene should have been longer/more interesting. Add to all this the sub par CGI and it's easy to understand why I was disappointed with the Expendables 2. When Liam Hemsworth's character outshines half a cast full of reputable action heroes, you know you've got a problem.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Quote:

I liked Eraser and End of Days wasn't too bad.
As bad as the rest of those are though I will still have them on in the background if they are on TV.
Its Arnold.
Even the bad ones are watchable.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
100% so far at Rotten Tomatoes...and a 3 1/2 star review from Slant! Holy shit.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
it's still there and its two days from release. that is a good sign.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
100% so far at Rotten Tomatoes...and a 3 1/2 star review from Slant! Holy shit.
Meanwhile most of the other reviews are "yeah, it's not bad." I expect to enjoy this, but Slant can be peculiar sometimes.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM
IDD about End of Days and Collateral Damage but Eraser? That was a pretty damn entertaining movie. The 6th Day wasn't terrible either. I am actually shocked at the good reviews for this movie. It is still 100 percent fresh at RT after 13 reviews.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 AM
I loved Eraser - one of my favorite Arnold films. Sixth day and End of Days were just bad though.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
I liked End of Days, but the 6th Day, Eraser, Collateral Damage were all meh. I am looking forward to this though based on the director and the return of Arnold of course.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM
I never cared much for Eraser, and thought End of Days & The 6th Day to be Arnold-light films. I'm surprised that these are the films being brought up cause they are his most forgettable.

Quote:
Meanwhile most of the other reviews are "yeah, it's not bad."
That's pretty much the norm for an Arnold movie. Most of his films never got great (or even good) reviews, and I never expected that to change.

Last edited by Silverload; 01-17-2013 at 10:34 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
I never cared much for Eraser, and thought End of Days & The 6th Day to be Arnold-light films. I'm surprised that these are the films being brought up cause they are his most forgettable.

That's pretty much the norm for an Arnold movie. Most of his films never got great (or even good) reviews, and I never expected that to change.
More or less how i feel. though i do expect to thoroughly enjoy the flcik.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm going to see this for Jee-Woon Kim, who has made some of the best movies of the past decade.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:

Oh, I agree. It's to be expected, and the reviews here are certainly better than much of his filmography. My point is just that it's still kind of weird to see a site as picky and esoteric in their taste as Slant give this such a good review. They don't hand out ***.5 very often.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 AM
The Last Stand has been heralded as Arnold Schwarzenegger’s return to starring in action films. I don’t need to discuss what he’s been doing during his 10 year hiatus; Arnold has remained incredibly famous for an altogether different set of reasons than his work in film. As opposed to being a return, though, I would argue that The Last Stand is a new beginning. This is an altogether different Arnold than we are used to seeing. As Sheriff Ray Owens Arnold is wizened, world weary, gruff, and indeed old. He still has a brute physicality, but his age shows and Arnold doesn’t shy away from that. This is fine work from Arnold; he’s never been a great thespian, but he brings years of experience to the role and he’s quite enjoyable. Any awkwardness he showed in The Expendables 2 is mostly out of the way; this isn’t his best screen work, but he’s believable where it counts and still cracks a one-liner with the best of them.

More so than just being the first new Arnold action film in 10 years, this film marks the American debut of the excellent South Korean genre filmmaker Kim Jee-Woon. Jee-Woon is an endlessly inventive and clean filmmaker. This film ignores essentially all trends of post-Bourne action cinema and is a bright and lively affair. Jee-Woon shoots with verve and fluidity (with cinematography by Ji-yong Kim), and a very keen sense of geography. I feel like I beat the dead horse when I say this, but being able to actually see everything occurring in a shoot-out is incredibly refreshing, particularly when said shoot-outs are as expertly crafted as the ones in The Last Stand. The film’s finale is a marvel of old-fashioned gunplay, complete with extreme violence and a nice dose of dark comedy. Jee-Woon has a tight focus and instills a truly fun tone. There are serious moments, but there’s nothing mopey or maudlin here.

The script (by Andrew Knauer, Jeffrey Nachmanoff, and George Nolfi) is more problematic; it hits obvious beats and there is a fair share of rote dialogue. The structure of the film is elegant, though, and in a film like this that is ultimately what matters. Taking place entirely in one day, the film builds well and we spend enough time with the various parties to feel invested by the time the proverbial shit hits the fan. We layer back and forth between Sheriff Ray in his small border town and Forest Whitaker’s FBI agent. The scenes with Forest almost always bring the film down. He’s a talented actor and has a strong presence, but he mostly stands around a room looking at computer screens or shouting orders in an attempt to catch the escaped convict Gabriel Cortez (Eduardo Noriega) who is on his way to the border. Gabriel is a mostly blank character (his henchman portrayed by Peter Stormare with as nonspecific and confusing an accent as ever is far more lively), but his (super fast) car is quite cool and makes for some impressive sequences. Jee-Woon shoots the car with an almost fetishistic glee.

The small town of Sommerton Junction is where the film works best, and it’s a quaint slice of Americana. The deputies and residents of this town (including Johnny Knoxville, Luis Guzman, Zach Gilford, Rodrigo Santoro, and Jaimie Alexander) make for a winning ragtag group of individuals with strong personalities. Through the guise of this town Jee-Woon has somehow crafted a film that is as much an American Western as it is an 80s-style action throwback. This is never more clear than in the beautifully shot chase through a cornfield or in the town’s almost universal love of guns. This film clearly and plainly loves guns and there are some terrific sequences and gags involving a wide variety of firepower. Just when things get a bit too serious a hint of levity is thrown in for good measure. I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of Kim Jee-Woon’s career in American filmmaking, and it’s a refreshing and enjoyable beginning to be sure. This is also indeed a new beginning for Arnold, and he picked the perfect filmmaker and film to do it with.

3.5/5

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 03-03-2013 at 12:59 AM..
Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 AM
Quote:
(with lensing by Ji-yong Kim)
Lensing isn't a real word for cinematography. One day a writer for Variety made it up to sound like a Hollywood insider, and I've been seeing movie news sites use it ever since. Nothing against you, you wrote a very good review, but the use of that word irritates me to no end. That and YOLO. Except YOLO makes sense.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Lensing isn't a real word for cinematography. One day a writer for Variety made it up to sound like a Hollywood insider, and I've been seeing movie news sites use it ever since. Nothing against you, you wrote a very good review, but the use of that word irritates me to no end. That and YOLO. Except YOLO makes sense.
Fair enough! Thanks for the compliment and I'll try not to use the word in the future.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 AM
I had a blast! A really fun film with Arnold in fine form, a great cast and group of characters and awesome action. Immensely satisfying. The whole cast is great, but I'd say it's Luis Guzman who steals the most amount of his scenes. What a fun performance. I hope this makes a lot of money. It's a rockin' good time.

There is only one slight disappointment. It's a very small detail, but it would have been great to have included.
Spoiler:
Arnold doesn't say his famous line I'll be back. There is one scene where tells another character that I'll be right back, but it's not the same. They should have left the right out. It would have been a good time for him to say it. Oh well.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 PM
I just got back from seeing this and I have to say that I enjoyed it. I mostly agree with what SpikeDurden said in his review; the film has a fluid pace and style of cinematography to it, just the right amount of seriousness and levity,(for an 80's action throwback) and the characters are developed just enough so that we care about what happens to them. There's nothing awe-inspiring here, but it's a nice start in American film making for Kim-Jee-Woon and it marks the beginning of a new chapter in Arnold's career.

7/10
Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 AM
This movie is flopping from what I read. That's too bad.

People seem to want metro-sexual action stars like Will Smith or someone like that.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post

People seem to want metro-sexual action stars like Will Smith or someone like that.
Will Smith a metro-sexual? He doesn't really seem that way to me, but everyone has their opinions.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:

Saw it yesterday and there were only 6 in the theater. This was the 5:00pm show, so maybe things picked up later. I really liked it, but Arnold wasn't in it as much as I would have liked.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
Will Smith a metro-sexual? He doesn't really seem that way to me, but everyone has their opinions.
lol. This writer agrees:

http://www.articlecity.com/articles/...ticle_66.shtml
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Quote:
heh, guess I don't really pay that much attention to how celebrities dress or present themselves outside of their films. I just had a look at some pics of Smith during interviews, and I guess he does have a pretty refined sense of fashion and taste. Although, couldn't you say that about most of the actors working in Hollywood today? I mean, they're loaded, so of course they're going to keep up with appearances and the hottest trends. You'll always have your exceptions, like Liam Neeson, Daniel Day Lewis, Sly, Arnold, and any other actor that rocks the gruff and scruffy look off camera, but I think they're a dying breed. After all, Smith has proven he can look rough and tough on camera, but still keep up with appearances when not filming.

The reason for this movie flopping is probably because no one really expected it to be that good in the first place. There wasn't even a guarantee in the trailers that it would be pure mindless and fun entertainment. The movie-going public at large probably doesn't read or pay attention to sites like Rotten Tomatoes and the like. So, it's really no wonder that audiences stayed away from this flick, probably thinking it was just some garbage coming out post-holiday season. Also, the fact that Arnold looks really fricken old in this movie, coupled with his recent adultery antics, doesn't really bode well for the film's PR.

Last edited by psycheoutsteve; 01-20-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Did not meet expectations.
6/10

Last edited by Preston_79; 01-21-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Arnold Schwarzenegger is back as promised and in a role that fits him like a well worn glove.
In The Last Stand he portrays Sheriff Ray Owens who watches over the quiet town of
Sommerton Junction, Arizona.The biggest problem in the town are cars parked in the wrong zone
until a drug kingpin Eduardo Noriega as Gabriel Cortez escapes from the FEDS and heads straight
for Sommerton.
One of the things i really liked about TLS is the shift in gears between the FBI and the smalltown
Sheriff and his deputies.Arnie is moving a little slower and his face is looking a bit more weathered
but no one wields a shotgun quite like him on the big screen. The specially outfitted car, a Chevrolet
Corvette C6 ZR1 is one of the coolest cars since K.I.T.T on Knight Rider and any of the Batmobiles
The villains main goal in the film is kind of flimsy,and i cant believe it took 3 writers to come up with
the basic script for the film.
TLS is a fun action romp.If your a Schwarzenegger fan you will love it,just dont go in thinking
you are going to see something Oscar worthy
Scale of 1-10 a 7

Last edited by anakinsrise; 01-21-2013 at 07:02 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM
I read one review calling it a modern day western. Read many reviews after that regurgitating the same sentiments, but I just don't see it. What a waste of a good supporting cast, and Arnold just walks around for the first hour of the movie.

Spoiler:
Knoxville going to great lengths to cut a fucking light poll down. What a colossal waste of time

The Everything Wrong in under 3 Minutes will have a could have a field day with this.

Spoiler:
Luis Guzman emerging from the smoke holding a Tommy gun, among other complete nonsense.

Hey, in the trailer I see a Corvette do a rail slide across the railing of a bridge, if I'm not mistaken. That scene wasn't in the movie, not that it would have helped.

Quote:
TLS is a fun action romp.If your a Schwarzenegger fan you will love it,just dont go in thinking
you are going to see something Oscar worthy
Has anyone ever made that mistake going into an Arnold movie?

Last edited by Preston_79; 01-21-2013 at 10:17 AM..