Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 03:14 AM
why does Quentin Tarantino get more respect than Robert Rodriguez?

I don't see why Tarantino's movies are critical darlings while Robert Rodriguez's work goes virtually unnoticed. a screenplay about a slave who tries to get his wife back doesn't sound as original as a story about a mariachi and a guitar case full of guns. maybe it's the type of story. Tarantino chose the nazis and slavery, which are both important parts of history, but I have had way more fun during Rodriguez last 3 adult films planet terror, Machete, and sin city than I did during Tarantino's last three films death proof, Inglorious Basterds, and although I haven't seen Django unchained I did read a draft of the script and I feel pretty safe adding it to that list.

Rodriguez was also the one that made wearing 3D glasses cool again. I think Rodriguez might be getting punished for his kids movies. this might take some credibility away from his adult films, but he is a great writer/director. I am not a big fan of sequels, but two of the movies I am looking forward to seeing the most are Machete Kills and Sin City 2. so the guy has kids...so what

people also don't read much. read any Elmore Leonard novel and you'll see who really deserves the credit for the quirky dialogue Tarantino uses in his films. people act like he made up that style. no, he stole that style from him and now uses it in his movies

Last edited by silentasylum; 01-15-2013 at 03:17 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 04:32 PM..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentasylum View Post
people also don't read much. read any Elmore Leonard novel and you'll see who really deserves the credit for the quirky dialogue Tarantino uses in his films. people act like he made up that style. no, he stole that style from him and now uses it in his movies
Tarantino credits Leonard a lot for his style, the only thing he stole was Leonard's book The Switch when he was 13 years old.

The simple answer to your question is that Tarantino just makes better movies than Rodriguez. Rodriguez will never make anything as good as Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, and even Tarantino's fantasy films (Kill Bill, Basterds, Django) say a whole lot about styles of cinema and historical atrocities than any of the Rodriguez movies.

The two are on completely different levels, the only time they came together was Grindhouse and Tarantino dropped the ball.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Although they've worked together in the past and are good friends, the two make completely different types of films. Even in Tarantino's "fantasy" films there is a level of craft, thoughtfulness, and intelligence that Rodriguez has never even come close to achieving. Tarantino's grasp of language, both English and cinematic, is exemplary and at times poetic. Rodriguez's best effort (to my mind) Sin City didn't even really have a screenplay but rather was lifted directly from comic book panels. (I don't say that to impugn the film, I quite like it). They're really playing in different sandboxes; they may both be genre revisionists, but QT strikes me as a serious filmmaker with an interest in encouraging discussion and debate and cultivating quality performances whereas Rodriguez is always just having some fun.

Plus, even QT"s worst films have quite a bit going for them, and on Rodriguez's side we have stuff like Shorts, Sharkboy and Lava Girl and Spy Kids 4 that although clear in design and intent (if I had kids I'd love to make films for kids too) are still awful when compared to many other films released for kids each year.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM
they actually made from dusk till dawn together. Tarantino wrote it and Rodriguez directed it. the first half of the movie is enjoyable and it makes me wonder what kind of a film it would have been minus the vampires.

Tarantino does get away with a lot. I seriously doubt that an African American filmmaker would ever make a movie like Django Unchained so I don't see how it's such a great idea. and I still am not sure why no one was offended with how he seemed to make a mockery of the holocaust. I understand that he's Jewish, but that was a serious thing where thousands of people were killed.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 AM
How did Tarantino mock the holocaust?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Tarantino's only arguably weak film is Death Proof, and even that's a damn fun ride to be had.

Rodriguez has the Spy Kids movies, Shorts, and Sharkboy and Lava Girl, for christ sake.

Grindhouse as a whole was a stinky self indulgent mess, but Death Proof is much more grindhouse while Rodriguez lampooned the grindhouse.

Tarantino didn't mock the holocaust, nor did he mock slavery. They're called exploitation films. IB was much in the vein of Dirty Dozen and Inglorious Bastards, while Django was in the vein of The Legend of N-- Charlie, and Boss N---.

Why does Tarantino get more attention?

Tarantino can write. He has charismatic and memorable characters, tells riveting stories, and often times can assemble a hell of a climax.

Rodriguez has no idea how to write multiple characters, his scrips are unfocused and clunky, and his movies are generally sucky.

Machete was preachy self important crap, Shorts and Sharkboy and Lavagirl were made because Rodriguez favors his sons, and he completely missed the point of Grindhouse.

Where as Edgar Wright, Eli Roth, and Jason Eisener understood the concept much more.

Ergo, Rodriguez sucks, and Tarantino is often fantastic.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Quote:
they actually made from dusk till dawn together. Tarantino wrote it and Rodriguez directed it. the first half of the movie is enjoyable and it makes me wonder what kind of a film it would have been minus the vampires.

Tarantino does get away with a lot. I seriously doubt that an African American filmmaker would ever make a movie like Django Unchained so I don't see how it's such a great idea. and I still am not sure why no one was offended with how he seemed to make a mockery of the holocaust. I understand that he's Jewish, but that was a serious thing where thousands of people were killed.
Quentin is not Jewish.

He has recently tackled challenging, historical subjects with a revisionist edge that have fostered more subversive discourse than I have heard about either topic (slavery, in particular) in some time.

I'm not sure why an African American filmmaker hasn't made a film like Django. It presents the brutality of slavery in a way I've rarely seen in cinema. It uses exploitation and violence as a means of empowerment, catharsis, and intellectual stimulant. It's audacious and ballsy, that's for sure.

As a Jew I in no way feel he made a mockery of the Holocaust with Basterds. In fact it probably pays as much honor and respect to the tragic events - in its own twisted, violent, witty, revenge-fantasy way - and the identity and importance of the modern Jew as most anything I've seen.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 01-15-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Tarantino's last few movies haven't been as great as the movies he use to make, but he's still a better filmmaker than Rodriguez. For starters, Rodriguez hasn't made a film with nearly the same brilliance as the Kill Bill movies. I mean, I did love Sin City and Once Upon a Time in Mexico, but they aren't as great as either Kill Bill flicks.

Also, as much as Death Proof sucked, I'd still take it over Spy Kids 2, Sharkboy and Lava Girl or Shorts.

But I will say in Grindhouse, Rodriguez did make the better film. Planet Terror was far more enjoyable than Death Proof. Still, Tarantino is definitely better.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Tarantino credits Leonard a lot for his style, the only thing he stole was Leonard's book The Switch when he was 13 years old.

The simple answer to your question is that Tarantino just makes better movies than Rodriguez. Rodriguez will never make anything as good as Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, and even Tarantino's fantasy films (Kill Bill, Basterds, Django) say a whole lot about styles of cinema and historical atrocities than any of the Rodriguez movies.

The two are on completely different levels, the only time they came together was Grindhouse and Tarantino dropped the ball.
It is interesting to note that when they did go, so to speak, head-to-head in Grindhouse, Rodriguez got the better of him.

Anyway, the answer is Pulp Fiction. It's been said about Fassbinder (I forget by who) that if he'd only ever made Berlin Alexanderplatz and subsequently quit directing it would be enough of an accomplishment to put him in the pantheon of great directors. To a large extent, it's the same thing with Pulp Fiction. I mean, think how much hype Zeitlin is getting for fucking Beasts of the Southern Wild. Now imagine if some new kid were to come on the block and pull a Pulp Fiction. That'd earn them a lot of mediocre movies.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Tarantino gets respect for his films because they deserve it. Tarantino's constant homages to the films of yesteryear are made with precession, intellect, and a level of practicality that provides both witty dialogue and cartoonish violence in a way no other director has been able to achieve in this generation with the exception of the Coen Brothers. Rodriguez has a lot of fun with his films, that's a given, but there's almost nothing that makes them memorable besides Sin City. His films border garage and cinematic genius.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Love both of them but QT gets the edge.

However Planet Terror is VASTLY superior to Death Proof and it aint even close.

I do appreciate the OP for starting this thread cause Rodriguez rules and deserves major kudos for bringing Sin City to life (one of my favorite films of the past decade)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Quote:
the only time they came together was Grindhouse and Tarantino dropped the ball.
Am I the only one who enjoyed Death Proof more than Planet Terror?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
the only time they came together was Grindhouse and Tarantino dropped the ball.
That wasn't the first time they came together. They teamed up on From Dusk Till Dawn. Tarantino wrote it, Rodriguez directed. Also, Tarantino directed a scene of Sin City as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
You're not, sir. I think Death Proof is vastly underrated and doesn't come close to be called garbage as some people see it as.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I thought Planet Terror was terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal_83 View Post
Tarantino's only arguably weak film is Django Unchained.
Fixed.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Anyway, the answer is Pulp Fiction. It's been said about Fassbinder (I forget by who) that if he'd only ever made Berlin Alexanderplatz and subsequently quit directing it would be enough of an accomplishment to put him in the pantheon of great directors. To a large extent, it's the same thing with Pulp Fiction. I mean, think how much hype Zeitlin is getting for fucking Beasts of the Southern Wild. Now imagine if some new kid were to come on the block and pull a Pulp Fiction. That'd earn them a lot of mediocre movies.
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
It is interesting to note that when they did go, so to speak, head-to-head in Grindhouse, Rodriguez got the better of him.
Quote:
I only saw Planet Terror once, that one time in the cinemas. I remember having a blast with it, and after that & the awesome fake trailers, Death Proof felt like watching a balloon deflate.

Having said that, I re-watched Death Proof on its own a few weeks ago and actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The music in it is really sick, Kurt Russell is awesome, I'm kind of in love with Zoe Bell, that car chase at the end is very sweet, love the scratched up and fucked up aesthetic of the old Grindhouse films...it's got lots going for it, but it's definitely QT's worst from his own filmography because of Rosario "I don't belong in this movie" Dawson and a few too many uninteresting conversations.

I need to see Planet Terror again but I imagine it's in line with everything people have been noticing...Rodriguez makes films for the fun of it while QT is actually trying to say something a little more deeper. Planet Terror is probably Rodriguez at his most entertaining after Sin City and Desperado (that's my personal favorite Rodriguez movie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
That wasn't the first time they came together. They teamed up on From Dusk Till Dawn. Tarantino wrote it, Rodriguez directed. Also, Tarantino directed a scene of Sin City as well.
Totally right. Forgot about Dusk till Dawn, and I just bought myself the Blu Ray! Haven't seen it ages, hopefully the vampires don't ruin the experience like they did the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Fixed.
No, no, no... Death Proof better than Django? That ain't no country I ever heard of..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Quote:
No, no, no... Death Proof better than Django? That ain't no country I ever heard of..
Not by a lot; but, yes.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Tarantino is overrated, but is still better than Rodriguez by a wide margin.

I didn't care for Sin City, which many think is his best.

Other than that though, I would say he is rated fairly, meaning that he's shown some talent, but is hardly among the great directors working today.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:
a screenplay about a slave who tries to get his wife back doesn't sound as original as a story about a mariachi and a guitar case full of guns.
There is such a thing as having a compelling story and a story about something ridiculous. Tarantino took the compelling and therefore, more mature route than a mariachi killing everyone in Mexico with Enrique Iglasias and a guitar case rocket launcher. C'mon! Do you honestly think a movie with that premise and featuring mediocre acting (Banderes aside) wouldn't go unnoticed outside of the average movie-going community?

Quote:
For starters, Rodriguez hasn't made a film with nearly the same brilliance as the Kill Bill movies. I mean, I did love Sin City and Once Upon a Time in Mexico, but they aren't as great as either Kill Bill flicks.
Brilliance and Kill Bill should never be in the same sentence.

Quote:

Fixed.
How is Tarantino's weakest film Django? I await to hear how this plays out...
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clever guy View Post
Opening a can of worms there...
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Robert Rodriguez is my hero. One of the best original storywriters and directors working in film today. I've loved everything he's done...even the kid stuff on a lower level.

Very underrated.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 PM
It's because even though both of them make very stylized, reference-happy films, most people (or at least critics) have had an easier time finding content in Tarantino's movies. Maybe that's not fair to say since it's largely subjective anyway, but I think that if most critics had to say which of the two fell more into the "style over substance" category, they'd pick Rodriguez without much hesitation. That's not say I personally feel that way, because I actually think there's some truth to Godard's theory that style is substance (if done correctly), but I'm just reporting what I've noticed, and what I've noticed is that a lot of critics admire Rodriguez's flair for style but dismiss him overall based on what they perceive to be a lack of thematic substance in his movies. Besides, based on the types of movies they make, I think Rodriguez is probably more comparable to someone like Zack Snyder than Quentin Tarantino.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the clever guy View Post
T
Wrong thread.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
what about Johnny Depp's role in Once Upon a Time in Mexico? Aside from Blow and Edward Scissorhands I think that's one of his better roles.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Because of Pulp Fiction.

Since then? He takes ugly events from history, hangs tinsel off them and plays an awesome soundtrack over it all.

His best was Jackie Brown, with thanks to Elmore Leonard.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceus View Post
His best was Jackie Brown, with thanks to Elmore Leonard.
I revisited Jackie Brown not too long ago and I'm actually beginning to think this as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I revisited Jackie Brown not too long ago and I'm actually beginning to think this as well.
Definitely a masterpiece. But Pulp Fiction still beats it by a whisker due to the cultural impact/influence Pulp has had, IMO.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Tarantino's last few movies haven't been as great as the movies he use to make, but he's still a better filmmaker than Rodriguez. For starters, Rodriguez hasn't made a film with nearly the same brilliance as the Kill Bill movies. I mean, I did love Sin City and Once Upon a Time in Mexico, but they aren't as great as either Kill Bill flicks.

Also, as much as Death Proof sucked, I'd still take it over Spy Kids 2, Sharkboy and Lava Girl or Shorts.

But I will say in Grindhouse, Rodriguez did make the better film. Planet Terror was far more enjoyable than Death Proof. Still, Tarantino is definitely better.
THe last 20 minutes of Death Proof is better than Planet Terror.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
THe first 20 minutes of Death Proof is better than Planet Terror.
Fixed.

Seriously, the second half is my main problem with Death Proof. The first half is actually great. Kurt Russell was great and the scenes were suitably creepy. But I found the 3rd act of the movie to be stupid. It seems to me in fact, that Tarantino has been having 3rd act problems with his last 3 films.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Not to suggest Tarantino isn't talented, he is, but I think he's still running on a lot of his acclaim (mostly stylistic) from his first few movies. That goes a long way, look at film makers who started out big and then plateaued or went down hill, Hollywood still lets them ride off of that, or at least the fans do.
It certainly gives him more room to be creative and try things most film makers don't, for better or worse.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Tarantino writes great dialogue. Rodriguez flies by the seat of his pants. Two different styles and I enjoy them both.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Fixed.

Seriously, the second half is my main problem with Death Proof. The first half is actually great. Kurt Russell was great and the scenes were suitably creepy. But I found the 3rd act of the movie to be stupid. It seems to me in fact, that Tarantino has been having 3rd act problems with his last 3 films.
That opinion seems backwards.

I think I give up on us ever sharing an opinion on anything. lol

Last edited by rocknblues81; 01-17-2013 at 05:25 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
The first half of Deathproof is the better half. Russell really shined there. That last act was comical, at best.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Quote:
The first half of Deathproof is the better half. Russell really shined there. That last act was comical, at best.
Huh? All he does is sit and eat basically.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Both parts have flaws in them.

The first part becomes awesome only when Russell appears (that whole sequence of scenes with him asking for the lap dance, and then getting it, him killing the blonde and then the rest of them was very well played)

The second part starts to lag because of the dumbass conversations the girls are having, but once the show hits the road with Zoe Bell doing shipsmast: it's awesome again.

And that ending? So sweet.

So both parts, to me, are flawed and have shining moments. Very patchy piece of work overall.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Huh? All he does is sit and eat basically.
Extended cut is much better.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Tarantino has a gift for casting. That alone takes his movies to another level.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I have to give a nod to Rodriguez for his great casting too. he was ballsy enough to cast lindsay lohan. he is the one that also cast don johnson,robert de niro, and jessica alba in machete and was the one that introduced Salma Hayek to the world.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Tarantino makes better movies, that's why he gets more respect. For the most part, Rodriguez makes serviceable movies that are fine for what they are but Tarantino movies are more enjoyable and have more depth to them. You basically take any attribute to what makes a good movie and Tarantino does all of this way better than Rodriguez