Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM
I think Out of Sight is a much better adaptation of an Elmore Leonard novel than Jackie Brown. Steve Zahn is hysterical in it and don cheadle does a great job playing that crazy guy. I also liked the chemistry between jennifer lopez and george clooney.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Also, Rodriguez is nowhere near the writer that Tarantino is; both in scope and output, not to mention quality.

/thread
Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Rodriguez has made some kick-ass movies but nothing he's done holds a candle to Tarantino in my opinion. Also, Rodriguez made all four Spy Kids films. I know he has kids and it's cool that he wanted to do some movies for them, but did they have to be so goddamn awful?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Rodriguez is an ok director. Tarantino is a great director. That is why.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentasylum View Post
I think Out of Sight is a much better adaptation of an Elmore Leonard novel than Jackie Brown. Steve Zahn is hysterical in it and don cheadle does a great job playing that crazy guy. I also liked the chemistry between jennifer lopez and george clooney.
Any movie starring Jennifer Lopez is hot garbage.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Any movie starring Jennifer Lopez is hot garbage.
Out of Sight is not garbage at all. Neither is Selena, The Cell, An Unfinished Life, Angel Eyes.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Quote:
I have to give a nod to Rodriguez for his great casting too.
Unlike Tarantino?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM
why does Quentin Tarantino get more respect than Robert Rodriguez? simple. BECAUSE HIS MOVIES ARE WAY FUCKING COOLER THAN RODRIGUEZ'S MOVIES. I love both Tarantino and rodriguez.if u think rodriguez is better than tarantino,then u need to mature a lot as a film buff.rodriguez movies are mainstream popcorn entertainment B-movies,Sincity is his most mature film and its one of my alltime favourite films.but tarantino movies are for niche audience and yet entertaining in their own distinct way, even though its not popcorn entertainment.tarantino is arguably the most infuential director of his generation.many directors still try to imitate his unique style.many people even have grown jealous of his fame and try to snub him by calling him overrated and making pretentious comments like he made mockery of holocaust,slavery(spike lee)
Old 01-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bourne View Post
I love both Tarantino and rodriguez.if u think rodriguez is better than tarantino,then u need to mature a lot as a film buff.rodriguez movies are mainstream popcorn entertainment B-movies
And Tarantino's films aren't? Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, Death Proof and Django Unchained aren't B movie popcorn entertainment? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Kill Bill movies, but you are deluding yourself if you think they have some kind of deeper meaning and aren't just merely popcorn flicks. They are brilliantly made popcorn flicks, but still are just popcorn entertainment.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
And Tarantino's films aren't? Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, Death Proof and Django Unchained aren't B movie popcorn entertainment? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Kill Bill movies, but you are deluding yourself if you think they have some kind of deeper meaning and aren't just merely popcorn flicks. They are brilliantly made popcorn flicks, but still are just popcorn entertainment.
Lately, Tarantino has been maturing in terms of film content, dialogue, and themes. He's still a little too obsessed with cartoon-like violence, but maybe he'll go lighter on that in the future. It has its place in films like Pulp Fiction, but it wasn't really needed to the degree that it was used in Django.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 PM
I think the biggest difference is that RR doesn't take his work seriously while QT does. I don't think RR puts a ton of thought into what he does. I think he literally wakes up and thinks to himself "What kind of movie should I make today?" - And then does it. Co-write and film a movie based on an idea his ten year old son came up with? Sure, why not. If it turns out to be crap, well, better luck next time. RR seems to be all about having a good time, and if in doing so you end up making a movie, then it's all good.

And as far as I'm concerned: Machete > Anything QT has ever done.

Now, there is no question that QT has skill as a writer and director, but, sweet Jesus, is he in love with himself or what? QT looks at a Michael Bay movie and says "You think your movies are bloated and self-indulgent? I'll show you what bloated and self-indulget means, motherfucker" - and then proceed to ripoff ever movie he loved as a child, pass it off as "homage," and call it a love letter to cinema.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM
I am a fan of both, however, i like Tarantino's films more. Rodriguez makes some great movies as well, i love The Mexico trilogy. I feel like Quentin is a better writer and storyteller.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Pulp Fiction is not the only movie that propels Tarantino over Rodriguez. Most of his movies do that. From Reservoir Dogs to the Kill Bill movies to Django Unchained, these movies stand out as stylized, uniquely written, and the way the performances stand out all lead back to the dialogue and what QT wrote. From Jules Winfield and Vincent Vega, to the Bride, to Aldo Raine and Hans Landa - which won Christoph Waltz an Oscar, all the characters are memorable as hell and are known as characters from QT movies. As much as I enjoy Rodriguez's films for what they are, none of them are that memorable or original. Sin City is an awesome movie, but even he decided to share credit for that with Frank Miller.

Robert Rodriguez is a good filmmaker that's made several fun movies, but Tarantino is on a higher level with his original scripts and memorable characters.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 AM
"Infantile fanboy clap trap"

I just watched these two vids from Kermode and this is an interesting angle at looking at QT, especially post Jackie Brown...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zItF0ZpWGZ0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBb-cLogds0
Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Kermode's the man, but I've always disagreed with him on Tarantino. The movies he was harshest on were the Kill Bill movies, but Kill Bill Vol. 1 is probably the best action film of the new millennium and Vol. 2 is a satisfying conclusion to that story (and my favorite of the two volumes). He also came down on Death Proof pretty hard, but I guess pretty much everyone did and even Tarantino admits that it was a miss. He was less harsh on Basterds, but criticized its structure, which I disagree with. The structure is what makes that film so good. He was actually pretty positive about Django, but complained about the length. I guess I can understand that, but a) it's an epic western (the journey is what makes it so satisfying) and b) the "4th act" of sorts is essential and those who suggest that it be cut are completely missing the point.

Anyway, in terms of Rodriguez, his best film is Sin City, which is very good, but compared to Tarantino's films, it's only better than Death Proof. The Mariachi series is pretty mediocre, the Spy Kids movies are awful, and in Machete, the title character is essentially a supporting character (I didn't pay to see Jessica Alba take up the majority of the screen time with her awful acting). Rodriguez simply makes B-movies that are equivalent to other B-movies. Tarantino takes B-movie material and elevates it to something interesting. Death Proof is the only example where Tarantino didn't elevate it to something interesting and simply made a B-movie (which was probably the result of the nature of the double feature).

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-30-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 PM
again that sounds like an opinion. I think Inglorious Basterds is an overrated movie in every sense of the word. he took a thing like the holocaust and made a mockery of it and that's brilliant? he makes a mockery of slavery and people call it brilliant. I just hope people are not getting history lessons from him but I guess it doesn't matter. I think you're just brainwashed to love anything he writes. he looks like he's half assing it half the time. the last three films Rodriguez has made feel more inspired than Tarantino's last three.

Machete is original and so is El mariachi. look at what they're about and perhaps you'll see the reason why rodriguez's films don't appeal to you as much.

I read an early draft of django unchained and I found all kinds of flaws in it. he's not as brilliant as people think. for example, there is no proof that says they made the slaves fight each other.one expert says that no slave master would risk losing a slave in a fight. so is this just Tarantino being brilliant?...give me a break
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Being a fan of both directors, Tarantino is just one of the most stylish directors to ever walk this Earth. Rodriguez seems to make movies you don't tend to take seriously, while still retaining style and such, but Tarantino never adds more style over substance, or vice versa. His films are perfectly layered out.

He's fantastic, basically.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
The scene in Kill Bill where she kills all those guys is violent, but it doesn't come close to a similar scene in the movie Azumi, which is done with more style. I agree he's a good writer/director, but I think he doesn't deserve all the praise that he gets and his best films might be behind him. at times, it seems like a 12 year old is coming up with his ideas
Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Quote:
again that sounds like an opinion.
Who said it was anything other than an opinion?

Quote:
I think you're just brainwashed to love anything he writes.
Get out of here with that shit.

Quote:
the last three films Rodriguez has made feel more inspired than Tarantino's last three.
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World in 4D Smell-O-Vision
Machete
Shorts

Last edited by Bourne101; 02-19-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Spy Kids 4 was cute and had some neat twists near the end but yeah, it's largely mediocre. I did like Jessica Alba in it though. Rodriguez seems to be able to bring out the best in her. I liked her a lot in Sin City, Machete and Spy Kids 4.

And Machete was badass and cool.

Haven't seen Shorts.

Personally, I don't think Tarantino has made a great movie since Kill Bill Volume 2. But even so, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are unquestionably better than those 3 films by Rodriguez. But, Planet Terror way better than Death Proof even though Planet Terror was just decent.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Out of Sight is not garbage at all. Neither is Selena, The Cell, An Unfinished Life, Angel Eyes.
Angel Eyes? The Cell?

eh.... She is and always was a hack. Another pop culture parasite.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 AM
The Cell is awesome. I love that movie. And yeah, Angel Eyes I always thought was a great love story. She and Jim Caviezel were both great in that movie. Especially Caviezel.

She got good reviews for most of those movies. It wasn't really until she started doing romcoms and became known as JLo when critics turned on her.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Quote:
The Cell is awesome. I love that movie. And yeah, Angel Eyes I always thought was a great love story. She and Jim Caviezel were both great in that movie. Especially Caviezel.

She got good reviews for most of those movies. It wasn't really until she started doing romcoms and became known as JLo when critics turned on her.
To be fair... She is not at KK level. I'll give her that. They used to show Angel Eyes on either TBS or TNT. Not my thing.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 AM
KK?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 AM
I'm guessing Kim Kardashian.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I'm guessing Kim Kardashian.
Kim Kardashian started out as a fly girl?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM
I remember ANGEL EYES...

It was September 12, 2001. The day after the ubiquitous (to Americans) "9/11".
I was sitting in a shuttle bus that transports me from my barracks to my workplace on Oahu.
Sadly, security was notched up so high that my 20 minute morning shuttle ride turned into 8 hours. Sitting.
The movie playing that day was ANGEL EYES. That was the only fucking movie playing for over eight hours.

I must say, I hate that fucking flick.

As for the idea of the topic heading: I think that Rodriguez is more deserving of accolades than Q.T. Sadly, QT's popularity is beyond fever pitch even TODAY because of a "legacy" he left behind by a movie that is more than what it - and the mass majority - think it is.
I like some of his stuff, but I seriously feel that R.R. has done more with money and time and sheer ability/talent than QT has EVER done. Granted some of his stuff is shit, but the kids' stuff is for his kids and those that ARE kids, so I can't blame him for that.
I still stand by more production and originality between time from release from one title to the next goes to R.R. way before the self-indulgent Q.T.
However, to argue such a thing to QT followers is like trying to disprove God to a devout Catholic. So, whatever.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
"Infantile fanboy clap trap"

I just watched these two vids from Kermode and this is an interesting angle at looking at QT, especially post Jackie Brown...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zItF0ZpWGZ0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBb-cLogds0
While I do agree with his overall point about "infantile clap trap," I don't buy his Jackie Brown argument. Kill Bill and Grindhouse were both box office stinkers as well, and he didn't change after that. I think QT does care about what people think of him and his movies, and that he genuinely wants to be popular, but I would never accuse him of chasing box office numbers.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Kill Bill and Grindhouse were both box office stinkers
While I'm not getting into the argument of whether or not Tarantino is primarily after financial success (I think he's slightly more concerned about critical success), Kill Bill was in no way, shape or form a "box-office stinker". The two movies made a combined $140 million domestically and $333 million worldwide on a combined budget of $55 million. God knows how much they've made on DVD and Blu-ray.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Huh. I guess I miss-remembered that one. I was thinking they only made about 30-40 million each.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 AM
He's a better filmmaker, simple as that
Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
yeah I really don't understand why he keeps getting 100 million dollar budgets.

I meant Robert Rodriguez's last three adult films: sin city, planet terror (way better than death proof!), and Machete

Tarantino's last three films: death proof, inglorious basterds(one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen), and django unchained a movie that without seeing I can tell you is about 30 minutes too long.

I like how one director described django unchained as basically tarantino masturbating for 3 hours.

I agree, he's too in love with himself and it shows in his movies. there was a time when he seemed to love making movies more than he loved himself

I stand by my comment that you're just brainwashed to love anything he makes. he's overrated and people give him more credit than he deserves

Last edited by silentasylum; 02-24-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Quote:

I meant Robert Rodriguez's last three adult films: sin city, planet terror (way better than death proof!), and Machete

Tarantino's last three films: death proof, inglorious basterds(one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen), and django unchained a movie that without seeing I can tell you is about 30 minutes too long.

I like how one director described django unchained as basically tarantino masturbating for 3 hours.

I agree, he's too in love with himself and it shows in his movies. there was a time when he seemed to love making movies more than he loved himself

I stand by my comment that you're just brainwashed to love anything he makes. he's overrated and people give him more credit than he deserves
I don't really disagree with the artistic anti-Tarantino POV, but just from a pure factual stand-point the reason he keeps getting huge budgets is because his movies have not only almost all made money, but a lot of them have made huge amounts of money compared to their budgets. Pulp Fiction made over 100mil off of 8mil, and the last two (Basterds/Django) made several hundred million. If I had a hundred mil to invest I'd absolutely invest it in a Tarantino film. The exception being perhaps Grindhouse, which was so obviously narrow audienced onanistic dribble.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 PM
because He is just better then Robert. QT filmography is overall better then Robert. Does Robert have some good films ...yes...does he have that classic that QT does nope. will Robert have one in the future...maybe..
Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
how did the Coen brothers make true grit for 30 million (that movie grossed over 100 million dollars). I don't buy it. it's all part of his self-importance.

django unchained has grossed over 150 million but it took 100 million to make.

you keep bringing up Grindhouse but has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the reason it wasn't successful was because of how bad death proof was? Rodriguez at least showed up. if planet terror was released on its own it probably would of been a box office hit. Tarantino dragged that movie down with his death proof bullshit. I seriously haven't had a movie annoy me the way that movie did.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Quote:
He has only made one film with a budget of $100 million, part of which he paid for himself because he wanted more time. It's also about to hit $400 million worldwide.

Quote:
django unchained a movie that without seeing I can tell you is about 30 minutes too long.
Quote:
I stand by my comment that you're just brainwashed to love anything he makes.
It's nice to know that we have someone on these boards masquerading as an expert on the psychology of Tarantino fans when he hasn't even seen his latest movie. Jesus fucking Christ, get off your high horse. I am a bigger fan of his earlier work than his later work, and was not a fan of Death Proof, but me liking Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained does not mean I am brainwashed. You realize how moronic you sound, right?

Here we are, with someone complaining about self-indulgence and masturbatory direction when his favorite movie is Enter the motherfucking Void.

Last edited by Bourne101; 02-25-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I am a bigger fan of his earlier work than his later work, and was not a fan of Death Proof, but me liking Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained does not mean I am brainwashed. You realize how moronic you sound, right?
Precisely what a brainwashed person would say. Can you prove to us that you're not brainwashed by holding the exact same position as him on every movie in the history of cinema?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 PM
sorry but my movies need to have heart. I seriously doubt that your attention span even let you sit through it, am I right? not the same without the guns and big explosions, I know.

sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't know he was your dad lol relax I'm just telling you my point of view. I know in this video game age he's just what you need lol

you can like them but just don't act like their the greatest thing ever made. inglorious basterds and django unchained are mediocre movies at best

I read a draft of the script (I know something unheard of to you) didn't think it was worth wasting my money on it

Last edited by silentasylum; 02-25-2013 at 11:58 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Quote:
sorry but my movies need to have heart. I seriously doubt that your attention span even let you sit through it, am I right? not the same without the guns and big explosions, I know.
Enter the Void was in my top 10 of 2009 and I have praised it on these boards since it was released. That doesn't make it less self-indulgent or masturbatory.

But yeah, all I like are big guns and explosions. It's why I love Machete so much.

Quote:
you can like them but just don't act like their the greatest thing ever made. inglorious basterds and django unchained are mediocre movies at best
Did I ever act like they were the greatest things ever made?

The principle comparison here is Tarantino vs. Rodriguez, and I'm basically just saying that I prefer Tarantino's movies (other than Death Proof) to something like Machete, which is a 2 minute fake trailer stretched out into 2 hours of bad acting and poor screenwriting. I like when a movie has a little more effort put into it. Sin City is great though.

Quote:
I read a draft of the script (I know something unheard of to you)
Digifruitella would get a kick out of this. You're a funny guy.

Last edited by Bourne101; 02-26-2013 at 01:43 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 AM
Machete was cool. It has one of the most eclectic ensemble casts and most of them are awesome.

That said, the only recent Tarantino movie it's better than is Death Proof. Now, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, I will say, I enjoyed more than Inglourious Basterds. But not Django.