Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Video games aren't causing the problem. Bad parenting is. 99.9% of people can tell the difference between fantasy and reality.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM
How can you say that very volient video games are not making a impact on children
I feel that alot of kids like to play waht they see and dont know the conqences for doing this

Also yes parents need to be more strict on there veiwing but what do you do when you are not home to see waht these kids are doing
I know on the video games machine there is a parental lock and alot of kids are becoming smart on knowing how to turn this off
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
I cant beleive you went to see your first r rated film at such a young age
As a parent l wouldnt have done that also iif a young child say 6yr old went to a movie like this they wouldnt stay still but if a child is watching a childrens movie at there age level they would be alright

Alot of parents take there children because there is no one to look after them so they have to tag along to be scared to death
I feel this is still wrong
Also children of today are seeing things worse than what you guys would have seen as a young kid

Things are so explicit this can include sex scens and exsteme volience

See when we were going up things were not so bad but video games are at the point where they are causing problems to kids
And if anyone say they dont well they do
Why did you think they put over 18 yrs old on alot of video games in Aus because they are being grabbed by underage kids
When I watched Predator I do remember covering my own eyes when I thought I would see something scary. The entire experience was pretty thrilling though. Then I would get to go to school and brag about all the awesome movies I would see that they wouldn't, like Pet Cemetery and The Exorcist.

I don't think anyone can deny that kids can be effected negatively from violent movies and video games. However I believe all that negativity is thwarted by good parenting.

Last edited by Preston_79; 01-25-2013 at 02:42 AM..
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 AM
Preston l can'tt believe you watched those two movies and liked you said you covered your eyes l bet you didn't see it all l have seen those two and they are exstemely volient how old were you then and like you said most of the kids you told were not able to watch it well l would have not let my daughter watch those two movies Yes l agree that as parents we need to look at what our kids watch but like l said it is hard if both parents work
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Okay you say that if you parent your child well theey will not be effected how do you be a good parent and what options do you put forward the only thing l could do as a good parent is to keep young children from voliece as much as possiable meaning keeping,young kids way from volient film and volient games until they are at least 12yrs old
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
What type of medications are you talking about Mr Gultness
I feel the only thing that is keeping kids on video games is addiction and irrisponiable paerents not checking on waht there children are doing with there time
Anti-Depressants and all other psychotropic drugs. Many of them have been causing suicide increases and other homicidal urges.

And 90+% of parents still spank their children. Let's look at these things and stop blaming the video games.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Well that is true alot of teens these days and it can be in your 20s too get into drugs and other silly things half of the time it is peer pressure to makes ffreinds or keep freinds
That can cause volience and also if you are associated with video games well it does depend what type of way out drug you are taking can make people resort to volient games
Then they act it our for real it can happen
I feel alot fo yuo dont seem to think that volient movies and video games do not make people do things
Well sometimes when you hear of a person killing sometimes they will say l was watching a very volient movie or l was addicted to some volient video game

it can happen but not all people resort to volince if they have a good head on there shoulders

Well l must be one of the 90 percent l have spanked my child if she is very naughty
But l feel somtimes spankin does not work sometimes and sometimes you have to just tell the child to go to there room and have a time out period and that works and then when things are calmer you can talk about things
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 PM
I was referring to all the drugs that are prescribed for mental disorders that parents put their kids on.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Are you talking about kids with ADD
Or kids with emmotional problems l have to say you do see a increase of children being on prescibed drugs when really all they want to do is talk about waht is happening in there life

I feel that we put kids on drugs too quickly these days
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Yes. That's exactly it bondgirl. ^ All of the above
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM
So what do you want to add about the drugs and the kids on it Mr Guiltless
Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 PM
A child's brain has to develop in order to be able to handle these drugs. Even then it's risky. I don't trust these medicines as far as I can throw them.

And yes, parents just put them on the drugs instead of going after the root of the problem, namely themselves.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
A child's brain has to develop in order to be able to handle these drugs. Even then it's risky. I don't trust these medicines as far as I can throw them.

And yes, parents just put them on the drugs instead of going after the root of the problem, namely themselves.
Well that is true a childs brain developement doesnt stop until the age of 21 or it might be 23 and that is more so for boys

That is why with prescibed drug or iillegal drugs and even booze can wreck a childs or a teens brain over a short time
I also want to state that l am not including illegal drugs or booze with the children factor this is for teens

But yes alot of parent do not go through the problem on waht is happening or causing the problems all they think is take a visit to a doctor prescibe waht is wrong and half of the time a child is put on ADD drugs or drugs for stress or the coping factor

When l was growing up you always seen kids go off the rails ot fighting or had prblems and half of the time it was cleared up

But thses days the solution is drugs will stop the problem it is parental control and telling the child that you are the boss not them

it is true also that some drugs run risks or have side effects to the treatment
Have you come across children like this Mr Guiltless
Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Well that is true a childs brain developement doesnt stop until the age of 21 or it might be 23 and that is more so for boys

That is why with prescibed drug or iillegal drugs and even booze can wreck a childs or a teens brain over a short time
I also want to state that l am not including illegal drugs or booze with the children factor this is for teens

But yes alot of parent do not go through the problem on waht is happening or causing the problems all they think is take a visit to a doctor prescibe waht is wrong and half of the time a child is put on ADD drugs or drugs for stress or the coping factor

When l was growing up you always seen kids go off the rails ot fighting or had prblems and half of the time it was cleared up

But thses days the solution is drugs will stop the problem it is parental control and telling the child that you are the boss not them

it is true also that some drugs run risks or have side effects to the treatment
Have you come across children like this Mr Guiltless
I was one of them. The anti-depressant Zoloft fucked up my brain chemistry for a long time. This was years ago though. It wasn't as common then. Nowadays, it's all over the place. Whichever prescribed drug it is.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
I was one of them. The anti-depressant Zoloft fucked up my brain chemistry for a long time. This was years ago though. It wasn't as common then. Nowadays, it's all over the place. Whichever prescribed drug it is.
That is why you feel so deeply about waht is happening to children now and l cant blame you for that

When one is prescibed drugs and you are on them for a long period of time you become addicted to them and when it is time to come off them you have huge withdrawals from the drug and plus it depands what dosage you were on that can be a big factor

Plus if you are on a prescibed drug sometimes you have to be taken off it slowly ro you have a huge reaction

There is nothing wrong with admiting that you had a terrible time on prescibed drugs sometimes letting out how you felt can help

I am glad you have the guts to speak up
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM
There are essentially two options when dealing with a serious mental health disorder. Cognitive behavioral therapy or medication. Both will generally improve your condition, but the difference is that cognitive behavioral therapy is longer lasting, has fewer side effects, and once you finish it the problems tend not to come back. With drugs, once you stop taking them, the chemistry tends to revert back to its old ways, and then it just becomes a cycle. The difficulty is that cognitive behavioral therapy is extremely time consuming, often very challenging and frustrating, and is extremely expensive unless there is some sort of funding from a school or something. This is the reason a lot of people tend to resort to taking medications. Additionally, people tend to go to their family doctor with mental health issues, who are more likely to prescribe medication or refer you to a psychiatrist (who will prescribe medication). A psychologist is generally the best place to start, but again, it's extremely expensive.

In terms of ADD/ADHD, it is certainly over-diagnosed orfrequently incorrectly diagnosed. The "maybe the kid is just bored" explanation is a little too simplified, but many kids diagnosed with ADHD are often actually manic, OCD, or have a learning disability of some kind. There needs to be stricter criteria in distinguishing between these diagnoses so that a child who is manic doesn't receive stimulants, a child with a learning disability gets proper educational help, etc. However, there are some kids who do plain and simply have ADHD and are almost non-functional because of it. I volunteered in a school a few years ago and there was a child who was quite intelligent, but was so affected by ADHD that he was operating at a level far below the other children. They did the right thing in not initially going with medication and instead implementing different techniques to keep him stimulated while simultaneously being able to learn, but there was little progress. He eventually ended up going on medication and is now one of the highest achieving kids in school, has more friends, and is generally a much happier individual. He is also regularly assessed to ensure that there are no significant side effects progressing. So I'm not extremely pro-medication or anti-medication, but a strong believer in getting a proper diagnosis, trying non-medication techniques, and then if necessary, prescribing medication. Cognitive behavioral therapy is ideal, but it's just so damn expensive and time consuming that it isn't an option for many.

There is also a bit of a misconception that parents of children with mental health problems just automatically throw medication at their children. Most parents are actually in denial that there is a problem, so they end up not seeking out any possible option. This is the worst case scenario.

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-25-2013 at 09:58 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 AM
There is A child l know with ADD and he would,go to school and the teachers would have different procedures for him some times it would work one day and then at diffrent times he was very hard to control I also liked your post Bourne, and there is so much information and there ways to help poeople with med but when you can do without meds you have a horror time getting off it
Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 AM
I mentioned that Fantastic Voyage was the first movie I watched that scared me, but the first thing on film that I remember sending chills up my spine was the Michael Jackson video for Thriller. I can remember when my babysitter would bring it over and play it on our first VHS player, back in like 83 84. It scared the shit out of me, and I would watch it while standing behind the couch. Fuck it was awesome.

Bondgirl, you're talking to a kid who bumped Too $hort in second grade, and was jacking off long before his body even produced semen.

I grew up fast. On a side note though I'm super non violent, and I don't have a fire arm or a hunting license. I have no criminal record. I've never taken prescribed drugs, but I do enjoy my occasional recreational drug. I'm also a cat person, and cried a little when I watch Fox and the Hound. I'ma fucking model citizen as far as I'm concerned. Rated R movies helped form me.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 AM
So thriller scared you as a child l am surprised you never told your parents what the baby sitter was watching with,you she should have waited until you went to bed before bringing it out
Old 01-26-2013, 02:57 AM
Your last comment made me smile so r rated movie made you into the man you are today there would be a lot more to movies like this to form a good person plus we might enjoy a accastional but you don't live by it
Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 AM
I think we all are good people and l have to say l have,never done anything bad drugs to me are a waste of money ans soon as you get hooked is hard get off the stuff the only thing l had a long time ago was weed but friends offered me cocaine l said no and l watched my mates go down,a dangerous path paying heaps for coke it was a sad sight to see
Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Bondgirl, what would you say about Japan, South Korea, and the UK in regards to their exposure to violent video games and films? All three, combined, don't have nearly as many deaths related to guns as we do.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 AM
All l know is that in Japan and north jkorea the have tougher laws against,gun crime and well you wouldn't want,to be in there jails also Japan or maybe it,is China helps kids if the get addict to games maybe we need to look into why there crime is down and see if it helps western nations the USA is still up in the air with,bringing in there new gun laws is there any progress or was it all talk
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
Bondgirl, what would you say about Japan, South Korea, and the UK in regards to their exposure to violent video games and films? All three, combined, don't have nearly as many deaths related to guns as we do.
Do you,know much on the exposure of video game and volient,movies you have mention because l wouldn't have a clue all I know is what l have seen in ameria and aus
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/1...ings-argument/