Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Die Hard series vs. Lethal Weapon Series

I think both series are top level in the action movie series. original Die Hard and Lethal weapon are both action classics. both series have great heroes and The villains in Die Hard are better.

Die Hard
Die Hard with Vengeance
Live free and Die Hard
Die Hard 2

Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
Lethal Weapon 3
Lethal Weapon 4

Die Hard > Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2 > Die hard 2
Die Hard with Vengeance > Lethal Weapon 3
Live free and die hard > Lethal Weapon 4
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Lethal Weapon > Die Hard
Lethal Weapon 2 > Die Hard
Die Hard 3 > Lethal Weapon 3

Didn't see Live Free Or Die Hard, but I thought Lethal Weapon 4 was better than part 3, so Lethal Weapon get's the edge here.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Die Hard - 10/10
Die Hard 2 - 9/10
Lethal Weapon - 9/10
Lethal Weapon 2 - 8/10
Live Free or Die Hard - 7/10
Lethal Weapon 4 - 7/10
Die Hard with a Vengeance - 7/10
Lethal Weapon 3 - 7/10

I love both franchises, but I slightly prefer Die Hard.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:22 AM
Lethal Weapon (8/10) > Lethal Weapon 2 (8/10) > Die Hard: With A Vengeance (7.5/10) > Die Hard 2: Die Harder (7/10) > Die Hard (6/10) > Lethal Weapon 3 (6/10) > Live Free or Die Hard (5.5/10) = Lethal Weapon 4 (5.5/10).

Lethal Weapon wins this easily for me.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM
I prefer the Die Hard series by a small margin.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
I also prefer the Die Hard series over the Lethal Weapon series. I own all the movies on DVD and I practically know all of them by heart, but John McClane gets the edge as far as preference.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Own all the Die Hards and all the Lethal Weapons, but I might have to give the edge to the Lethal Weapons just because of the humour. Also I think Lethal Weapon 4 is totally under-rated and Jet Li makes an amazing villian.

That final battle between Riggs, Murtaugh and Li is brutal!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
as a whole, i like the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon films equally. however, Live Free or Die Hard could never compete with LW4. hopefully this new Die Hard film will make up for the last one.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
I prefer the Die Hard series over the Lethal Weapon series but I do love both franchises. I give the edge to Die Hard because the first entry is my favorite action movie (as it is with a lot of people) of all-time.

This is how I would break down both of them:
Die Hard > Lethal Weapon 2
Lethal Weapon > Die Hard with a Vengence
Die Hard 2 > Lethal Weapon 4
Live Free or Die Hard > Lethal Weapon 3
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM
I think I've only seen Lethal Weapon 4. It's the only one I remember, anyway. Having said that, the first Die Hard is one of the best action movies ever made.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Die Hard (10/10) ≥ Lethal Weapon (10/10)

Lethal Weapon 2 (10/10) >> Die Hard 2 (7/10)

Die Hard with a Vengeance (9/10) > Lethal Weapon 3 (8/10)

Lethal Weapon 4 (8/10) >> Live Free or Die Hard (6/10)

I personally prefer the Lethal Weapon series because it remained consistent with the reality created by the first film. The Die Hard films did not, and only the the third film felt like a true Die Hard sequel. Die Hard completely abandoned the reality created by the original film. McClane has gone from being a kickass average Joe who went through hell to be a hero, to now being an indestructible cartoonish superhero (with a super secret agent son).
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
That final battle between Riggs, Murtaugh and Li is brutal!
I agree. I really thought that either Riggs or Murtaugh was going to die at the end.

That's what made these films great, the heroes didn't feel indestructible. All of the 'Lethal Weapons' (expect maybe part 3) made me fear for the heroes' lives.

'Die Hard' did the same, I completely felt like McClane might not survive this. I didn't have this fear for the sequels (though I thought Sam Jackson was going to die in 'Vengeance'). In 'Live Free' McClane fought a fighter jet with a garbage truck and won, and walked away without a scratch. The reality there is completely shot to hell. How can you feel fear for a character's life after that?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Lethal Weapon > Die Hard
Lethal Weapon 2 > Die Hard 2
Die Hard 3 > Lethal Weapon 3
Die Hard 4 > Lethal Weapon 4

So it's basically a tie but the best Die Hard movies are better than the best Lethal Weapon movies if that makes any sense.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM

Die Hard > Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2 > Die Hard 2
Die Hard With A Vengeance > Lethal Weapon 3(barely)
Lethal Weapon 4 > Live Free Or Die Hard

However, as mentioned earlier, the Lethal Weapon universe remained relatively consistent and Lethal Weapon 4's Jet Li made a truly frightening villain. That final fight is indeed up there with the finest in any action series.

<in best Street Fighter 2 judge's voice> Lethal Weapon Wins.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Die Hard 9.2/10

Die Harder 6.5/10

Die Hard With A Vengeance 8/10

Live Free Or Die Hard 6/10

Lethal Weapon 8/10

Lethal Weapon 2 8.2/10

Lethal Weapon 3 7/10

Lethal Weapon 4 6/10
Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 AM

Die Hard all the way.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 PM
I love the Die Hard series, especially the 1st and 3rd. I have no feelings whatsoever on Lethal Weapon, although I haven't seen them for years.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:11 PM
I love both, but Die Hard is an easy winner here.

Kind of interesting, though, that all four LW movies are freakishly consistent, almost as if they filmed them all back to back, and the DH movies all feel radically different from each other.

Die Hard 10/10
Die Hard 2 8/10
Die Hard 3 10/10 (My favorite)
Die Hard 4 9/10
Die Hard 5 ?/10

Lethal Weapon 8/10
Lethal Weapon 2 10/10 (My favorite)
Lethal Weapon 3 7/10
Lethal Weapon 4 9/10

*Edit: This thread prompted me to watch Lethal Weapon 4 for the first time since it came out - and I really liked it. Much better than my initial impression, so I changed my rating from a 7 to a 9.

Last edited by Badbird; 01-24-2013 at 12:23 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
I pick Lethal Weapon slightly over Die Hard.

I think the first Die Hard is better than all the Lethal Weapons, but all the LWs better than the rest. Die Hard 2 being decent, Die Hard with a Vengeance being great (almost as good), and Live Free or Die Hard being a lousy run-of-the-mill action movie.

Another thing about Lethal Weapon is the humor. LW 4 is the only time I've ever laughed at Chris Rock. And you can't go wrong with Joe Pesci either.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM
I laugh at the idea of any of the LW movies being better than the original DH. The bad guys are just too weak. Simply weak. The strength of the LW series the chemistry that Gibson and Glover share. The action in the series is decent, but that's about it.

Die Hard:****1/2
Die Hard 2:***
Die Hard 3:***12
Die Hard 4:***

Lethal Weapon:****
Lethal Weapon 2:****
Lethal Weapon 3:***
Lethal Weapon 4:**1/2
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
I agree. I really thought that either Riggs or Murtaugh was going to die at the end.

That's what made these films great, the heroes didn't feel indestructible. All of the 'Lethal Weapons' (expect maybe part 3) made me fear for the heroes' lives.

'Die Hard' did the same, I completely felt like McClane might not survive this. I didn't have this fear for the sequels (though I thought Sam Jackson was going to die in 'Vengeance'). In 'Live Free' McClane fought a fighter jet with a garbage truck and won, and walked away without a scratch. The reality there is completely shot to hell. How can you feel fear for a character's life after that?
On the other hand, he did get his butt kicked by a 100 pound chick.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
The bad guys are just too weak. Simply weak.
Disagree. Jet Li was truly an awesome villain. So were the bad guys in LW 2. And Gary Busey rocked in the first one. That fight between him and Gibson at the end was awesome.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I like the villains in the Lethal Weapon movies, and while Mr. Joshua and McCallister are the best in the series, they just don't compare to Hans Gruber. When they brought in another Gruber in the 3rd one, it made the movie that much more fun and interesting.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Lethal Weapon 3&4 get hate, but they both still better than Die Hard 2, A lazy carbon copy of the first. Lamer dialogue, lamer villain, lamer action, lamer humor and lame copies of the asshole cop character and black sidekick from the first film. And really...did they have to bring back William Atherton as the dickhead news anchor? And Holly has to be on the plane with him? Give me a break. It even looks cheaper than the first film, which came out two years before. How does that happen? I will never get the love for DH2. Most of the Die Hard rip-offs are better!

But, Die Hard 1&3 are better than all of the Lethal Weapon films.

Well, the first LW is DAMN good. On par with Die Hard. I think the quality of LW stayed rather consistent while Die Hard goes Great, Bad, Great, good.

So objectively LW is better imo, but if someone asked me to chose one, I'm going with Die Hard.

Die Hard 10/10
Die Hard 2 4/10
Die Hard 3 10/10
Die Hard 4 7/10

Lethal Weapon 9.5/10
Lethal Weapon 2 8/10
Lethal Weapon 3 7/10
Lethal Weapon 4 7.5/10

Last edited by poopontheshoes7; 01-30-2013 at 10:21 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Disagree. Jet Li was truly an awesome villain. So were the bad guys in LW 2. And Gary Busey rocked in the first one. That fight between him and Gibson at the end was awesome.
Gary was a fairly typical bad guy. I know that sounds funny considering how... Strange Busy really is. But Hans wit is just too much to overcome.

As for Jet Li... I'll be honest and admit that I don't remember LW 4 greatly. The thing I remember the most was that it felt like the cast was overstuffed.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 PM
It's kind of funny to look at it like this, but Lethal Weapon 4 came out in 1998, eleven years after the first movie, and yet, back then there was a lot of hand wringing over the fact that everything felt too old and tired, like it had long run out of steam, etc.

Now we have Die Hard 5 coming out a full twenty five years after the first Die Hard movie to much fanfare, and, presumedly, a part six if it's a hit.