23. Empyrean by Mechina
24. Truly Yours by J. Cole
25. Midcity by Clipping
26. 13.0.0.0.0 by This Town Needs Guns
27. We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic by Foxygen
28. 'Til Your River Runs Dry by Eric Burdon
29. Didn't It Rain by Hugh Laurie
30. Fade by Yo La Tengo

Last edited by magjournal; 11-08-2013 at 09:21 PM..
Old 08-31-2013, 12:41 AM
1. Steven Wilson - The Raven...
2. Riverside - SONGS
3. Palms - Palms
4. Amplifier - Echo Street
5. Karnivool - Asymmetry (may rise)
6. The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (need more listens)
7. Henry Fool - Men Singing

Still need to listen to these...

Robot Vacuum

Last edited by Alanbrad; 09-23-2013 at 02:11 AM..
Old 09-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Jon Hopkins, Immunity
Kanye West, Yeezus
Forest Swords, Engravings
James Holden, The Inheritors
James Blake, Overgrown
Rhye, Woman
Moderat, II
Deafheaven, Sunbather
The Knife, Shaking the Habitual
Oneohtrix Point Never: R Plus Seven
Fuck Buttons, Slow Focus

Last edited by viceus; 10-11-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 AM
1. Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)
2. Palms - Palms
3. Alice in Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
4. Beastwars - Blood Becomes Fire
5. Atoms for Peace - Amok
6. Pearl Jam - Lightening Bolt
7. Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
8. Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
9. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
10. Sound City

Need to Listen to new ones from Kings of Leon, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Mazzy Star

Last edited by Hucksta G; 10-25-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Old 09-28-2013, 05:55 AM
1. Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse
2. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
3. C. Spencer Yeh, Okkyung Lee and Lasse Marhaug - Wake Up Awesome
4. Speedy Ortiz - Major Arcana
5. James Holden - The Inheritors
6. Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
7. Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
8. Cult Favorite - For Madmen Only
9. John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
10. Haim - Days Are Gone

I have to include the Kanye West and MGMT albums as disappointments, so far.

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 11-21-2013 at 02:45 AM..
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 AM
I haven't listened to much these days....

1. The 1975 (self titled album)
2. The White Panda: Bearly Legal
3. Kanye West: Yeezus
Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 PM
After October, I'm not sure what to look forward to for the rest of the year. I'm not terribly optimistic about Cut Copy and M.I.A., although I hope they come through. I'm waiting to hear the DJ Rashad album in at least 320, but I suspect that'll be a contender based on the insane strength of the Rollin' EP. I don't much care for Arcade Fire, but I really dug their new single, so I'll give them a crack.

I'm currently digesting the new Oneohtrix Point Never, and my initial three listens have him obliterating the majesty of Replica, my favorite of 2011. Lopatin finding the spirituality in technology is his best look. That organ at the end of "Chrome Country"...just, shit. I was already blissed out on it completely and then all of a sudden I'm in a Dreyer film. The guy switches up every go-round and kills it every time.

The Pusha T album is really good for my morning trudge uphill to campus. I'm currently using it for that purpose. Big fan of the second track, "40 Acres", and the one with Kendrick.

Glasser's isn't really connecting after two listens.

After those three, I have Cass McCombs, Tim Hecker, Four Tet, and Darkside in my to-listen pile, so it's looking like a brilliant end to October. It's just been a really good year for music; I have so many albums I revisit and want to revisit. It's all very well that November is looking pretty barren; welcome, even.

Here are some semi-popular but yet underrated albums since it's not listing season:

Torres - Torres
Doldrums - Lesser Evil
The Flaming Lips - The Terror
Majical Cloudz - Impersonator
Jenny Hval - Innocence is Kinky (especially this one; I thought the critics would be all over it)
Classixx – Hanging Gardens

Otherwise, I am typically listening what you are listening to.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Also,

Huerco S. - Colonial Patterns

My list is dangerously close to viceus's, although I'm still waiting for that Deafheaven album to wash over me (it loses me on the second side). It's one of those albums where you can see it working for you; you're just waiting for the breakthrough.

That Dirty Beaches record is insanely good and remarkably paced. Just another release that will hopefully not get lost among the HAIMs, CHVRCHES, and other caps-lock prone artists.

If all the publications go with Vampire Weekend as their go-to album of the year, that would be perfectly swell. Those guys deserve it, made a stellar album, and I'm glad to see they've silenced those who've held their Ivy League educations against them ("don't forget the rich ones who are kind"). They're a clever bunch but I do wish they hadn't sequenced their two weakest songs ("Everlasting Arms"/"Finger Back") next to one another after the album's obvious standout among standouts, "Hannah Hunt". Those two aforementioned tracks are not the best lead-in to the record's glorious, resolving finale but they are easy to get by and hey, the finale still resonates.

Ever since Animal Collective released the Album of the Year (AOTY) on the first business day (in the States, right) of 2009, it seems everyone (on the internet, you know) obsesses over a given year's AOTY and we do end up with a consensus AOTY. It's this weird convergence and hand-shaking of cultures, but I suppose it's comforting to have one monolithic AOTY. This year looks to be the first since 2008 where there really isn't a consensus, although I suspect most everyone will coalesce around Vampire Weekend. (Yeezus is still too divisive and its flaws (that disembodied Jamaican, that "goddamnit Kanye" line about Asian pussy) are more egregious than VW's.

While trying to get a good sense of the critical reaction toward Yeezus on Metacritic, I saw that Tim Hecker's latest is going over well, so it looks like I'll be at my record store early on Monday (I mean, it's literally next door). After that, and Chance the Rapper/DJ Rashad tickets, I'm more than likely done with spending money on music for the year.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:30 AM
Hotline Miami ost
Samiyam wish you were here
Old 11-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Really good year for music, so good I'm doing a top 20.

20. Kyle Hall - Boat Party
19. V.A. - After Dark 2
18. Deafheaven - Sunbather
17. DJ Koze - Amygdala
16. Savages - Silence Yourself
15. Deerhunter - Monomania
14. Erika - Hexagon Cloud
13. Natasha Kmeto - Crisis
12. Fuck Buttons - Slow Motion
11. John Hopkins - Immunity
10. The Field - Cupid's Head
9. Forest Swords - Engravings
8. My Bloody Valentine - M B V
7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
6. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
5. Omar S - Thank you For Letting me Be Myself
4. Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
3. Haxan Cloak - Excavation
2. The Arcade Fire - Reflektor
1. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 AM
1. Like Clockwork - QOTSA
2. Spectre At The Feast - BRMC
3. A.M - Arctic Monkeys
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM
KiKrusher filing another solid entry. This year is 2010 quality. Just scanned through my Word document and saw an insane number of great albums. I'm calling it a year after I hear the latest from Blood Orange (which could very well throw everything up in the air; "Everything is Embarrassing" is my go-to the few times I have to leave my general area via car) and Magik Markers.

I'm still digesting the latest M.I.A. and...it's not bad. The production is a bit busy so I'm going to give it two more spins to get better sense of its patterning. And of course I'm finding it hard to resist the latest Cut Copy.

A list, though:

Most Disappointing
No Age - An Object
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito [just a positively beguiling cultural artifact. were they trying to take a quick piss to rid themselves of their label contract or...?]
Phoenix - Bankrupt! [I only really cared for the first side of their last one, anyway]
Gold Panda - Half of Where You Live
Daughn Gibson - Me Moan
DIANA - Perpetual Surrender
Delorean - Apar
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzlor View Post
KiKrusher filing another solid entry. This year is 2010 quality. Just scanned through my Word document and saw an insane number of great albums. I'm calling it a year after I hear the latest from Blood Orange (which could very well throw everything up in the air; "Everything is Embarrassing" is my go-to the few times I have to leave my general area via car) and Magik Markers.

Agreed. I don't share completely similar tastes with you, but there is a lot of overlap with my favorites from what I have read. Either way, it has been a very strong year for music, with fantastic releases from not only tried and true artists, but from unexpected newcomers as well. I also share the same opinion on 2010.

Hammering out a top 20 is going to take some serious re-listening. I've probably listened to about 70-80 albums this year.

Last edited by outsyder; 11-07-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Updated my list to a top 30 (check the OP).
Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 PM
KMFDM - Kunst
Avantasia - The Mystery of Time
Kavinsky - Outrun
Powerwolf - Preachers of the Night
VNV Nation - Transnational
Tarja - Colors in the Dark

Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel, Rush
Steve Jablonsky - Gears of War: Judgement, Gangster Squad
Steven Price - Gravity
Brian Tyler - Iron Man 3
Atticus Ross - Broken City
M83 - Oblivion
Marco Beltrami - A Good Day to Die Hard
Old 11-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Haven't listened to a lot, but of what I've listened to...

Arcade Fire - Reflektor: top-notch stuff. Different from their previous stuff, but has more of a pulse. I love it.

Kanye West - Yeezus: Not his best, but there is still some great stuff on there. Black Skinhead, New Slaves, I'm In It, Blood on the Leaves, Send It Up and Bound 2 are all terrific and get better with multiple listens.

J. Cole - Born Sinner: some meh tracks, but a ton of great ones as well. I prefer it to Yeezus.

MGMT - MGMT: it's no Oracular Spectacular or Congratulations (honestly, when you start off your career with those two albums, it's going to be hard to ever live up to expectations), but I've grown to appreciate it more after listening to it several times. Alien Days, Cool Song No. 2, Mystery Disease, Introspection, Your Life Is A Lie and Plenty of Girls in the Sea are all very good/great. I appreciate the experimental nature of the other tracks, but they aren't all that enjoyable to listen to.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Haven't listened to a lot, but of what I've listened to...

Arcade Fire - Reflektor: top-notch stuff. Different from their previous stuff, but has more of a pulse. I love it.

Kanye West - Yeezus: Not his best, but there is still some great stuff on there. Black Skinhead, New Slaves, I'm In It, Blood on the Leaves, Send It Up and Bound 2 are all terrific and get better with multiple listens.

J. Cole - Born Sinner: some meh tracks, but a ton of great ones as well. I prefer it to Yeezus.

MGMT - MGMT: it's no Oracular Spectacular or Congratulations (honestly, when you start off your career with those two albums, it's going to be hard to ever live up to expectations), but I've grown to appreciate it more after listening to it several times. Alien Days, Cool Song No. 2, Mystery Disease, Introspection, Your Life Is A Lie and Plenty of Girls in the Sea are all very good/great. I appreciate the experimental nature of the other tracks, but they aren't all that enjoyable to listen to.

yeah, you definitely need to listen to more music - all of this is weak. Yeezus especially is shite, really.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Yeah, the past few years I have been focused on catching up on a lot of 60s/70s stuff, digging into entire discographies, etc., so I haven't kept up with a lot of modern stuff. I've gotten through most of the 60s/70s stuff now though, so I'm open to some recommendations. Of the modern stuff I have listened to, I like The Black Keys, Arcade Fire, MGMT, Beach House, Chromatics, The Black Angels, and M83. I'm sure there are a few others, but those are off the top of my head.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Random Access Memories

Without a doubt- It's this:

I also really liked Queens of The Stone Age's Like Clockwork

I thought Yeezus was horrible-the beats make no sense, there is no energy or momentum and the lyrics are like they have been written by a thug 5th grader. He can make awesome music but at this point (especially after the Bound 2 video) I think he is just messing with everyone--because he can and has fun with it. So If that is what 'Yeezus' is (purposely bad), I get it, but it still does not make the music any better.

Last edited by Bahs; 11-30-2013 at 02:31 PM..
Old 11-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Paul McCartney - New

Runner-up: Queens of the Stone Age - ... Like Clockwork
Old 12-02-2013, 10:04 PM
A fantastic year, really

My gosh, Burial announces another EP to cap this year. I'm counting that likely chart-topper for next year. I'm so tired consuming all this music.

01. Oneohtrix Point Never – R Plus Seven
02. The Knife – Shaking the Habitual
03. Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires of the City
04. Jenny Hval – Innocence is Kinky
05. Julia Holter – Loud City Song
06. DJ Koze – Amygdala
07. Various Artists – After Dark 2
08. Fuck Buttons – Slow Focus
09. DJ Rashad – Double Cup/Rollin’ EP
10. Darkside – Psychic
11. Majical Cloudz – Impersonator
12. Dirty Beaches – Drifters/Love is the Devil
13. Julianna Barwick – Nepenthe
14. Tim Hecker – Virgins
15. Chance the Rapper – Acid Rap
16. These New Puritans – Field of Reeds
17. Jon Hopkins – Immunity
18. My Bloody Valentine – mbv
19. Youth Lagoon – Wondrous Bughouse
20. Arcade Fire - Reflektor

Five more: Boards of Canada, Kanye West, The Haxan Cloak, Death Grips, Bill Callahan

Songs of the Year, Unranked
FKA Twigs - "Water Me"
Default Genders - "On Fraternity"
DJ Rashad - "Let It Go"
Torres - "Don't Run Away, Emilie"
Pusha-T - "Numbers on the Board"
Eleanor Friedberger - "Other Boys"
Autre Ne Veut - "World War"
Sky Ferreira - "I Blame Myself"
Bill Callahan - "Small Plane"
Phosphorescent - "Song for Zulu"
Deerhunter - "Monomania"
Kanye West - "New Slaves"
Kanye West - "Bound 2"
Chance the Rapper - "Paranoia"
Majical Cloudz - "Childhood's End"
Darkside - "Golden Arrow"
Glass Candy - "Warm in the Winter"
Julia Holter - "Hello Stranger"
Oneohtrix Point Never - "Still Life"
Old 12-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
5. James Holden - The Inheritors
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceus View Post
James Holden, The Inheritors
My days, I never would have figured that I'd find Holden fans on this board... he's been my favorite DJ/producer ever since he broke into the scene and "The Inheritors" (though, not as good as "The Idiots Are Winning") just gets better and better the more I listen to it. Good taste guys

So far, apart from the Holden, the Jon Hopkins, Boards of Canada and The Knife, I've been listening to a lot of hip hop (don't see many hip hop heads here..) but

RA the Rugged Man's Legends Never Die should be considered among the best of the year from ANY genre. He's unreal and the album is fantastic.

Ghostface Killah's 12 Reasons To Die and CZARFACE (Inspectah Deck, Esoteric and 7L) are close behind; both brilliant conceptual albums from genuine rappers, not this gangster, bitches and blunts bullshit.

Oh and Trouble Will Find Me by The National is also among my favorite albums of the year. (My taste is all over the place)
Old 12-06-2013, 06:36 PM
In no preferential order:

1 Queens of the Stone Age - ..Like Clockwork
2 Atoms for Peace - Amok
3 Traindodge - Supernatural Disasters
4 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At the Feast
5 Palms - Palms
6 Alice in Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
7 Adam Franklin - Black Horses
8 Retribution Gospel Choir - 3
9 Big Black Delta - Big Black Delta
10 Dead Meadow - Warble Womb
Old 12-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
My days, I never would have figured that I'd find Holden fans on this board... he's been my favorite DJ/producer ever since he broke into the scene...
Been a fan since Nothing. Still this is the best remix of that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPGIrFdquF8

As far as this year goes. Machinedrum's Vapor City is at the top of the list for me. Better than Room(s) IMO

Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 PM
A lot of publications are rightfully giving Yeezus it's due, but I'm surprised by the number that are placing him tops and making it no contest. "I'm in It", "Send It Up", and parts of "Guilt Trip" are just lazy filler that are unfortunately all thrown on the album's back half. If "Bound 2" was only mediocre and not great, then the album would have endured criticism for not sticking to its style. As much as I liked that track, I do wish Kanye would have stuck in the same vein of the album's first four tracks. The criticism from June stands: Kanye rushed this and it shows. It's still good enough to make top-20 lists, but I wish he would have focused on this more.

Also, does no one else love that Darkside album? I've only only heard it eight times and its in my top ten. It conjures up such an atmosphere that I want to 'save it', as it were. The Quietus and Pitchfork seem to be the only publications giving it extreme love, although I bet Pitchfork shuts it out from their top ten and places it at 12 or something.

While on the subject of Pitchfork, they're letting this one awful writer single-handedly push this one awful album and he won't stop. If you're a fan of the participants in Portlandia's "Battle of the Gentle Bands" bit, then Mutual Benefit's Love's Crushing Diamond is the album for you.

Last edited by Tayzlor; 12-08-2013 at 12:32 PM..
Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Bump.

I'm counting Beyoncι and Burial for next year even though that's not accurate. We can do it with Parquet Courts and Truant/Sleep Dealer, we can do it with these two. Looking forward to hearing both (especially Burial) in January.

Also bumping this because one tires of seeing KORN or is Michael Jackson a child molester? in the last-posted topic like this is 2003

Last edited by Tayzlor; 12-27-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Chvrches- The Bones of What You Believe
Quasimoto- Yessir, Whatever
Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork (raw and dark, just the way I like it)

MGMT-MGMT (trippy & cool tracks esp Cool Song Number 2)

Justin Timberlake - 20/20 Experience (lots of catchy pop songs)
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 PM
well i only got two albums last year which are black sabbath's and stryper's new albums. both are enjoyable but sabbath was better
Old 01-19-2014, 06:22 PM
wow great list, i liked

Kyle Hall - Boat Party
V.A. - After Dark 2
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Savages - Silence Yourself
Deerhunter - Monomania
Erika - Hexagon Cloud
Natasha Kmeto - Crisis
Fuck Buttons - Slow Motion
John Hopkins - Immunity
Forest Swords - Engravings
My Bloody Valentine - M B V
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
Haxan Cloak - Excavation
Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Totally forgot to do this

1. CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
2. Savages - Silence Yourself
3. Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork . . .
4. Young Galaxy - Ultramarine
5. Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt
6. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
7. Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
8. Italians Do It Better - After Dark 2
9. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
10. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
11. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
12. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
13. Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
14. No Joy - Wait to Pleasure
15. Washed Out - Paracosm
16. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
17. Factory Floor - Factory Floor
18. Local Natives - Hummingbird
19. Disclosure - Settle
20. FIDLAR - FIDLAR

Great year for music. Leaving a lot off this list.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzlor View Post
Default Genders - "On Fraternity"
This is such a strange little song. I think I really dislike it, but damn if that chorus isn't infectious.

You lot have rolled out some great lists, by the way. It really was an impressive year in music and film alike. I'll post up my final list shortly.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Black Sabbath - 13
Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 PM
QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork
Dream Theater - self titled
Dawes - Stories Don't End
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Black Sabbath - 13
Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack
Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt
Airborne Toxic Event - Such Hot Blood
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine
David Bowie - The Next Day
Best Coast - Fade Away EP
Old 09-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Final list:

1. My Bloody Valentine - mbv
2. Kanye West, Yeezus
3. Jon Hopkins, Immunity
4. Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
5. James Holden, The Inheritors
6. Julia Holter - Loud City Song
7. Fuck Buttons, Slow Focus
8. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
9. Forest Swords - Engravings
10. Deafheaven, Sunbather
Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I've been doing that too. I don't know if it's just the regular nostalgia + distance routine, but I suspect it isn't because last year was just a phenomenal year for music, just astoundingly stacked across the board. I've been listening to the stuff that were runners-up to my top fifty, and they're phenomenal. My twenty will definitely lose Reflektor and Youth Lagoon's now-underrated album. All of this isn't even taking into account the last-second masterpieces from Beyonce and Burial.

Since our top ten overlaps my four or five albums, viceus, I'm definitely going to finally listen to that James Holden album. There honestly isn't much out there this year, anyway. Have a lot of hope placed in Caribou and Panda Bear and Aphex Twin.
--------
I hope I haven't already done this but a quick, justifiable plug. My friend from high school, studio's next to mine, playing a show next weekend with Phil Elverum (Microphones/Mount Eerie) across the street next week, etc. all of that, released her debut EP in August 2013 (thirty minutes long) and then signed with Domino USA in Feb.---the label of Animal Collective/Panda Bear, Hot Chip, Blood Orange, J. Hopkins, J. Holter, et al---and her EP was rereleased. Obviously, she's aligned with a label; she just hasn't really received any publicity from major outlets.

Anyway, here's her Domino page: Your Friend

And the video (featuring a cameo of my apartment!): Tame One
Old 10-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Let me know what you think of The Inheritors.

As it seems you have a varied taste in music like myself and haven't found it to be a solid year thus far, can I recommend some releases . . .

Swans - To Be Kind
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
FKA Twigs - LP1
Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty
Perfume Genius - Too Bright
Ben Frost - Aurora
A Winged Victory for the Sullen: Atomos
Wild Beasts - Present Tense
Flying Lotus - You're Dead!
Scott Walker & Sunn O))) - Soused
Todd Terje - It's Album Time
Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness

Caribou will not let you down, but Syro failed to engage emotionally with me. The tracks are astonishingly refined but nothing has advanced stylistically. It felt like all of the tracks were stuck in the '90s.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:58 AM
The Domino page keeps teasing Panda Bear news. I'd love for it to have a Person Pitch release date, right in the middle of March as winter's departing (but not necessarily the cold).

You're Dead! is growing on me and I'm going to give it a fifth listen tonight. It's nowhere near the heights of Cosmogramma and Until the Quiet Comes but it's unfair to Lotus to hold it to the high bar he set himself.

I've had the Caribou album on my Pono-like device for awhile now and it's essentially my last frontier for 2014, aside from Grouper, Scott Walker & Sunn O))), Arca, Ariel Pink, and especially Andy Stott (love his release from earlier this year and Luxury Problems is quickly becoming a touchstone).

I agree with you mostly regarding Syro although I still like putting it on even though I've resigned myself to the reality that it won't strike me in a big way.

But yeah, your list is essentially my list. I recognize the greatness of To Be Kind but it's not connecting like The Seer. I need to give Wild Beasts and FKA Twigs more listens and I frankly don't know what's stopping me as I loved their prior releases.

The Angel Olsen album is really something special and maybe a surprise contender for album of the year over the brilliantly uneven Benji and Todd Terje.

A Sunny Day in Glasgow will likely make my final ten. It's more akin to their 2007 release and not their 2009 masterpiece but the songs still hit.

Liars, Nils Frahm, and---weirdly---Shabazz Palaces round out my underrated list.

The St. Vincent album has seven brilliant songs out of eleven but I'm not giving up on it just yet.

Overall, this is a comparatively sparse year, especially compared to the riches of 2013. It happens, though.
-------
I'm warming up to the James Holden album, thanks. No idea how/why I slept on it.

My 2013 list, after a bunch of relistens (it's never final):

01. Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven [Warp]
02. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual [Mute]
03. Burial - Rival Dealer [Hyperdub]
04. DJ Rashad - Double Cup/Rollin' EP [Hyperdub]
05. Jenny Hval - Innocence is Kinky [Rune Grammofon]
06. DJ Koze - Amygdala [Pampa]
07. Julia Holter - Loud City Song [Domino]
08. Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus [ATP]
09. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City [XL]
10. These New Puritans - Field of Reeds [Domino]

Next ten, in no order: After Dark 2, Jon Hopkins, Julianna Barwick, Tim Hecker, The National, Blood Orange, Beyoncι, The Haxan Cloak, Sky Ferreira, Your Friend
Old 10-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Excellent lists. Any love on here for The War on Drugs? Lost in the Dream is far and away my favorite album of the year.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Excellent lists. Any love on here for The War on Drugs? Lost in the Dream is far and away my favorite album of the year.
Yep. Fantastic stuff.

Saw them live at the now infamous "War on Drugs Can Suck My Cock" performance.

Really outstanding work in person.