Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:37 PM
By the way...Did anyone attend SXSW and see the new Evil Dead?

I would love to hear some schmoes reviews.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1980 View Post
Coincidentally, I saw this as well. I remember seeing it as a kid - this film freaked me out. It's possibly the creepiest PG movie I've seen lol

7/10
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Robbing Peter

9/10

"ignorancia" is my favorite story, but all are good.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Universal Soldier: Day Of Reckoning - 8/10
Rubberneck - 6/10
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Capote - Philip Seymour Hoffman was really good as Truman Capote. I think I prefer the 60s version of In Cold Blood to this but it was still a pretty good movie. 7/10

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - I"m going to watch as many of the Disney animated movies as I can get my hands on. I haven't seen many of the older ones since I was a kid and there are quite a few from the 60s through the 80s that I've never seen at all. This is definitely one of the best films Disney ever made. The animation still holds up today and it's a classic story. 9/10

Pinocchio - Not quite as good as their first effort but Disney still made a damn good movie here. Figaro was funny and there are quite a few rightfully famous scenes. 8/10
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 PM

6/10

5/10
Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 PM

Side by Side(2012)-8/10
Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 AM

Frauleins in Uniform(1973)-7/10
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 AM

8/10
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Oz the Great and Powerful

I have always found the stories that followed The Wizard of Oz to be more interesting.
Oz the Great and Powerful proves that a "prequel" to TWOO,can be just as interesting
and enchanting.
Disney and creators of OTGAP, trace along the blueprint of TWOO,as much as they legally
can,since the rights to TWOO belong to Warner Bros.Im actually grateful that i was spared some
of the annoyances of the original film.
The dialogue and the delivery of it in OTGAP,is stiff at times.The CGI is a bit off.James Franco
as Oscar Diggs / Wizard of Oz hams it up in a few scenes,but he gradually grew on me. Mila Kunis as Theodora /
The Wicked Witch of the West.Rachel Weisz as Evanora / The Wicked Witch of the East, and Michelle Williams
as Glinda the Good Witch / Annie are all lovely and did well with their roles.
Little side kick characters like Zach Braff as the voice of the monkey Finley / Frank, Oscar's circus assistant
and Joey King as the voice of China Girl / Girl in Wheelchair were very likeable.
Despite it's flaws OTGAP really charmed me.

Scale of 1-10 an 8

Dead Man Down

Dead Man Down is a European style revenge flick.Though i loved the style of the film,i felt
Colin Farrell as Victor wasnt given enough of a backstory to make his skills and feats believable.
Of course losing your family can completely change a person,but what made this simple family man
such an effective assassin? As outrageous and insane the action sequences were,i liked them
and there are good and effective turns by Terrence Howard ,Dominic Cooper,F. Murray Abraham
and Isabelle Huppert,but DMD is at its best when Farrell and Noomi Rapace as Beatrice
are on screen together.I was never really sure what would happen between the two as their emotions
seasaw in various scenes.

Scale of 1-10 a 7Ĺ
Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Oz The Great and Powerful(2013)-7/10
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Pride of the Marines with John Garfield - Garfield plays a man who is wounded during WWII and undergoes rehab while dealing with his relationships back home. Garfield gives a pretty good performance but otherwise the film is nothing special. 6/10

Fantasia - My favorite parts are the Nutcracker Suite and A Night on Bald Mountain but really the whole film is fantastic. 9/10

Dumbo - The crows were a bit uncomfortable to watch at the end but otherwise this was a fun film. Dumbo is adorable and there is a lot packed into the short runtime of about an hour. 8/10
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM
The Promise

The film that put Dardenne bros. on the map. These guys were highly influential in the particular aesthetic they employ but most importantly it supports the stories they tackle which almost always involve people on the outer fringes of society, struggling to make money, to survive. Overall, I'm not as 'wowed' as people would have been back in the day, seeing as how this particular style of filmmaking has been run into the ground by other imitators - but because these guys were there first it gets an

8/10
Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 AM

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen(2003)-7/10
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Funeral Kings - 8/10
Warm Bodies - 7/10
Old 03-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Argo - 9/10
Cell 211 - 8/10
Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Kon-Tiki - 9/10
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM

7/10
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Oz The Great And Powerful - 6/10
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 PM
The Five-Year Engagement

Aims high and hits several key bullseyes for a successful rom-com, much like the unstoppably funny team of Segel and Stollerís Forgetting Sarah Marshall before it. Most importantly is that it doesnít insult your intelligence. Itís whip-smart, brimming with self-awareness, and possesses such a fresh, honest confidence in its exploration of how a long-term relationship really endures when life decides to throw wrenches in the works. Secondly, the chemistry between Segel and the hilariously sexy Emily Blunt will immediately make you want to root for these two to make it. You have a pretty good idea that they will, but the writing is so good that it at least makes you forget the usual predictabilities in the formula. Thirdly, I guess, is the hysterical collection of side characters Stoller, Apatow and company have again cobbled together for one of these tentpole comedies. Alison Brie as Bluntís overly sensitive, high-strung sister was probably the funniest supporting part Iíve seen in months. God I love this woman. Are there hiccups? Sure. It goes well over the runtime of what a story like this probably needed, and there may have been one supporting act too many hogging screentime from Blunt and Segelís premarital pangs, but generally this was just a great time all around. And I should mention, the totally random Michael Jordan joke almost killed me I was laughing so hard.

-> 8/10
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Around the World in 80 Days - David Niven was his usual charming self in this and the spectacle of the film was really impressive. There were some funny parts as well including the very last line. 7/10

Bambi - The part where Bambi's mother dies is really sad - possibly the saddest in all of the Disney films. The rest of the film is a lot of fun though. Thumper is really funny and the ending is fantastic. 9/10

Saludos Amigos - This is one of the Disney films made in the 40s that feature several shorter segments packaged as a single film. All four of them are set in South America and while slightly entertaining they weren't really funny at all. 5/10
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 PM

For a Good Time, Call...(2012)-6/10
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM

8/10
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 AM
The Duellists

Rid's first film which he made at 40 years old (by that time with 2,000 commercials to his name) is a visual feast seeing as how the stylish flare he brought is from his advertising days. But thankfully, at least it's not exactly style over substance - as is generally so with anyone who comes from commercials. The story's not bad and the lifelong duel and conflict between Carradine and Keitel was enough to keep me interested in how it will all resolve.

Amazing 'happy accident' shot at the end, wow.

7/10
Old 03-13-2013, 01:05 AM

Iron Monkey(1993)-7/10
Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 AM

Side Effects
6/10
Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Tower Block - 8.5/10
Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Dead Man Down(2013)-7/10
Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Of Human Bondage (1964) - This wasn't as good as the Bette Davis version but Kim Novak was still decent. Laurence Harvey on the other hand seemed bored throughout the film. There was really nothing else to make up for it either. 4/10

The Three Caballeros - Another of the Disney package films set in South America. I hadn't seen this since I was a kid and many of the segments are still fun. 7/10
Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 AM

The Core(2003)-7/10
Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Elite Squad

9.5/10

Elite Squad 2: the enemy within

8.5/10

these are both great movies and it makes me wonder what jose padhila would of done with an R rated Robocop. his villains would of been crazy
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM

ParaNorman
7/10
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Killing Them Softly - 6/10
Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM

7/10
Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Torrid Zone with James Cagney - This is sort of a lesser version of Red Dust. Cagney is good like he always is but the rest isn't anything special. 5/10

Make Mine Music - The Peter and the Wolf segment really helps this one. Disney probably should have focused on a few longer segments rather than ten shorter ones. 6/10

Fun and Fancy Free - This is more like it. Two cartoons of about half an hour each - enough time for a fully fleshed out story. I probably preferred Bongo to Mickey and the Beanstalk but they were both quality entertainment. 8/10
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Kill List

The first half of this was terrific, a family drama and hitman thriller thatís moody, suspenseful, naturally acted, violent as fuck, and funny in that casually vulgar, British way. The second halfÖ gets progressively more fucked up, ending with a brutal twist that left me not a bit bewildered as to what the hell it was all about. If anything. The hitman thriller ends its run decidedly in the corner of freakish all-out horror, and whether you respond to the mix will largely determine what you think of the whole package. Iím gonna give it more points than demerits, though, because the complex relationship between Jay (Neil Maskell) and his wife Shel (the gorgeous MyAnna Buring) was more than enough to keep me invested in the story, as was the friendship between Jay and his best mate and partner in contract killing Gal (Michael Smiley). They take salty banter to new heights. Director Ben Wheatleyís contrast between these percipient human dramas with the disturbing violence Jay and Gal inflict on their targets was particularly well played. But while Iím all for genre splicing, when the final twenty minutes are operating on a whole other planet, it creates a visceral friction in oneís cinematic digestive tract. Or it did with mine, anyway. Then again, itís still clogged with leftover Twin PeaksÖ

-> 7/10
Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 PM

Won't Back Down(2012)-6/10
Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Cinemania - 8/10
Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 PM

Thereís a stigma for a film, particularly a comic book movie, when it tries to reboot the franchise from the ground up in a short amount of time from when the previous films have been on the audienceís mind. Thatís the plan that Sony Pictures enacts with the character of Spider Man, though some could argue that the sole reason for this reboot is the means to keep the rights of the character so it doesnít change over back to Marvel Comics film production company. But, the bright side of this action is that a new vision could be achieved, taking the themes of being a hero and responsibility and creating it for a whole new audience. Unfortunately, The Amazing Spider Man seems more confident by simply being more a slapdash effort, taking bits and pieces from the previous trilogy of Spider Man and make a little changes in order to pass it off as a new thing.

Ultimately, if youíve seen and loved the trilogy of Spider Man films that director Sam Raimi created, then this film isnít probably going to be that new spark for the franchise. Itís essentially a film that feels like an abridged version of the first film, going through the character beats of the evolution of Peter Parker to Spiderman in such an uninspired fashion that it feels ultimately tiring. Thereís a new, more modern look to Peter Parker, now played by Andrew Garfield, but this whole persona doesnít feel relatable in a way. This Parker feels like a shy James Dean-type rebel thatís a genius, but never feels relatable in any sense. Itís not Garfieldís fault, as he makes the most of what heís given from the script, but heís burdened with going through all the motions of an origin thatís already been put on the screen.

Not that the film feels like a complete carbon copy of the reboot, as the film brings a new love interest and villain that hasnít been put in the trilogy. Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy is pretty inspired casting, and she has the chops for bringing a great romantic lead. The problem with that, though, is once again in the scriptís ballpark. The kindling romance between Garfieldís Parker and Stoneís Stacey feels natural, coming across as awkward and uncomfortable as most budding high school romances are. It doesnít hurt that director Mark Webb, director of the film 500 Days of Summer, seems to have a kink with dealing with this type of romance.

But, the problem with such a thing is while its cute for a while, over time that type of romance can get kind of annoying and boring, which becomes the problem as the run time involving the two actorsí chemistry becomes. Itís pretty much the same back-and-forth romance that they do with each other almost every time they are together. Thereís not much connection for the viewer, and thatís the inherent problem with the whole film.

Everything in the script feels slapdash, as if these screenwriters had all these new ideas on how to go about rebooting Spider Man, but realized that they didnít work and decided to take bits and pieces of the first film from Raimiís trilogy and make unsubtle changes to make everything their own. This just makes the film feel cluttered, with new storylines being completely sidelined to make room for Parkerís arc as a superhero. Thatís all well and good, but plot points feel like they are simply hanging, without any need to go back as the screenwriters need to make sure that this origin story gets over and done with in this one movie. Thereís nothing interesting about the villain at all, with Rhys Ifansís Curt Connors as a Jekyll/Hyde type of tragic villain that nearly isnít as interesting as it sounds. Thereís even a post-credit scene that pretty much sums up the problems of this film in a good 15-20 seconds. Nothing sticks (no pun intended) and it all feels lazy.

As much as The Amazing Spider Man wants to go down this whole new road for the franchise, they seem dead set on going back towards the blueprints of what made the previous trilogy so enjoyable to audience. Thatís all well and good, but when it makes this newest reboot so rote and boring, that essentially makes the film more uninspiring than amazing.

5/10
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Here Comes the Boom
Starship Troopers
Batman Begins
Closed Thread