Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:43 AM
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (AUS, 1994)

Yes I'm thinking the exact same thing as you, how in dingo doo doo did they get Terence Stamp to do this?!. Two drag queens and a transsexual embark on a road trip across the Aussie outback to Alice Springs in order to put on a show. Little do they know that the hotel they are headed for is managed by a woman still married to one of the trio. Well the drag queen still married to the woman knows, he just hasn't told his friends yet.

The road trip idea isn't an original one that's for sure but turn it into a naughty drag act in the deserts of Australia and now you've got something. Sure enough the whole notion of doing something like this in the one country where homophobia and racism is not unusual and where men are men no question, is a brave move.

This film relies heavily on stereotypes, almost every character is a sly, but some might say perceptive, stereotype on the real world. The three main characters played by Weaving, Pearce and Stamp are very likeable, mouthy, bitchy queens that put each other down like no ones business, yet they clearly do care about each other greatly. These three are played up for the camera naturally, made to look loud brash and extremely catty, nails at high noon, but its harmless fun.

As for other characters or generalisations its obvious. All the men portrayed in the outback are checkered shirt, cowboy hat, jean wearing butch types that look a bit grubby. You have the typical manly gruff Aussie female called Sheila and a gold digging, trashy strip teasing Filipino woman. The only character you would expect to be bigoted is Bob Hunter's character who looks it but turns out not to be.
There aren't really any surprises in the film, most characters are exactly as you would expect them. As its set in the outback you do get the obligatory ideas before its even started, can't be helped, we have 'Crocodile Dundee' to thank for that folks.

Despite the screaming stereotypes and scene similarities to other Aussie films of the time the film is a great comedy. Just the thought of a po-faced Stamp in drag complete with a flowing blonde wig and earrings bitch slapping Guy Pearce and continuously coming out with sarky derogatory remarks is enough to peak my interest.

At the same time the film is very touching and sweet. On one hand you have Stamp's character trying to get over the recent death of her partner whilst also hoping to find herself again, middle aged, tired with her job and needing a new spark in her life. On the other hand you have Weaving's character who is trying to balance his life between what he is on the inside, his friends and of course hoping/worrying if his son will accept him. Plus if his friends will accept him for having a semi straight secret life.

This film along with another in the same year put Aussie film making on the map and has since created a huge cult following much like 'Rocky Horror'. Completely enjoyable ride no matter what your sexual orientation. A great soundtrack which doesn't go overkill with ABBA, superb performances from the main trio and with some truly gorgeous scenery/location work that I'm sure boosted tourism. Everybody wins with this one.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 AM

S.W.A.T.(2003)-7/10
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 AM
SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN- 8/10

A fascinating documentary about a mysterious American musician named "Rodriguez" whose sales failed miserably after two album releases in the early 70s, but found tremendous popularity in South Africa.
A strong fan base from said country goes on a hunt to find answers to his mysterious death on stage, his past and origins.

The less you know about this documentary the better. It has some great little surprises and moves into directions you wouldn't expect.

I highly recommend it.
I'm serious, though: DO NOT READ ANYTHING MORE ABOUT THIS DOCUMENTARY.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Philadelphia - 8/10
Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Pride and Prejudice (1940) - Greer Garson was a great choice to play Elizabeth Bennett and Laurence Olivier did a fine job as well. The rest of the film however was rather mediocre. I never did care for the story that much - I just wanted to see these two leads together. 6/10

Melody Time - The Johnny Appleseed segment was pretty good but the rest of the film wasn't so great. In fact a few of the short cartoons were pretty boring. 5/10

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - Two fantastic stories in one film. If I had to choose one I would say I prefer The Wind in the Willows slightly over Sleepy Hollow. You really can't go wrong with either one though. 9/10
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 PM

High Plains Drifters(1973)-8/10
Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 PM

6/10

7/10
Old 03-16-2013, 02:45 AM
Last few days (SXSW screenings):

Mud -8/10
You're Next -7/10
Rewind This -7/10
Computer Chess -3 or 4/10
The Spectacular Now -8/10
The Lords of Salem -4/10
It's Such A Beautiful Day -8/10
Sofia's Last Ambulance -7/10
Upstream Color -8/10
Get Out The Vote -4/10
Some Girl(s) -6/10
Prince Avalanche -8/10
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Outlander - 6.5/10
Old 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Prometheus - 9/10

The Call - 8/10

Life of Pi - 8.5/10
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Cinderella - A fantastic Disney film with some good songs, a lot of fun characters, and a well developed story packed into a 75 minute runtime. This is rightfully considered one of Disney's best. 9/10

Alice in Wonderland - I feel a little woozy from just watching this. The people who made this must have been on some serious drugs. Not to say there aren't some good parts. The Cheshire Cat is fun as is the Mad Hatter's party. The film is just weird and it does deviate from the original story a bit. 7/10
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 PM

9/10
Old 03-17-2013, 01:22 AM

The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk(1993)-7/10
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM
THE WEDDING SINGER - 8/10
This is one of those "feel-good" movies with a ridiculously over-the-top happy ending that works completely in its favor. Love this flick. I watch it once every 5-7 years.

FIREFLY
"The Message" - 7/10
One of my lesser "favorite" episodes, it still has some moments worth paying attention to. Especially Wash's attempt to shake off aggressors with a "harrowing" flying chase sequence.

"Heart of Gold - 8/10
In this episode, Captain Mal finally gets to find some "action" and Inara and Mal almost finally break the ice completely through to the other side... but of course it doesn't quite happen. However, issues arise that begin to lead into the final episode (which is what I call the movie SERENITY).

"Objects in Space - 10/10
Perhaps my all-time favorite episode, so much gets revealed. River finally has massive contribution to assisting the crew, and everyone has to deal with a truly formidable foe that is not just smart but obviously whacked out in the head. It only makes me slightly sad to know that it's the last episode in the series, but as fans of the show got what they needed (for the most part) with the movie SERENITY, which I am watching next Sunday. I can NOT wait!!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Kick-Ass - 9/10
Old 03-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Zeitgeist

10/10

I don't think I have ever seen a documentary that's this informative. did you know that the federal income tax is against the law and the 16th amendment was never actually ratified? and it shows the creation of the federal reserve bank and how that controls the entire economy.it also shows how Jesus Christ is just an allegory for the sun. this is a must see.

Last edited by silentasylum; 03-17-2013 at 03:18 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Men In Black 3 - 0/10

God what a dumbass movie. Terrible
Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 PM
The Paperboy - 5/10
The Slender Man - 6/10
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM

9/10
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Peter Pan - I enjoyed much of the film but it's hard to ignore just how racist the depiction of Indians is. Other than that the film was a lot of fun. I had forgotten that Tinkerbell has such a temper and betrays Peter Pan like that. 7/10

Lady and the Tramp - There's a lot of great things about this film. It works as a kids movie, a romance, an adventure film, or as a musical. One of my favorite Disney films. 9/10

Sleeping Beauty - The animation wasn't as good on this one as many prior films but the story is still great. I really liked the three fairies - they weren't perfect but they really did care for Aurora. 8/10
Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM

8/10
Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 PM

6/10
Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 AM

The Hulk(2003)-7/10
Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 AM

9/10
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM
The Sitter (5/10)
Jeff Who Lives at home (7/10)
Ted (8/10)
The Other Guys (7/10)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Les Miserables

I’m not big on musicals. But not having a saturated diet of them, I can stomach them in staggered proportions. This film’s saving graces are many, including a beautifully written underlying story of redemption set to the French Revolutionary struggles of 1815 and beyond (thank you, Monsieur Hugo…) and a covey of fearless performances from Jackman, Hathaway and Crowe (thank you, Mr. Hooper...). It won me over. I didn’t want it to, and I tried to resist, but it does have a powerful ability to persuade with its epic themes of hope, love, sacrifice and survival. Hathaway was incredible, considering she only appears in the first 40 minutes of a film that runs close to three hours. And yes, she totally nailed that “I Dreamed A Dream” number. I felt like complete merde afterward, so I guess it worked, right? Crowe is the only singer of the bunch that didn’t completely sell me on his vocal talents, but his overall dogged performance as Valjean’s ceaseless pursuer Javert was a screen villain to remember. Guy was like a bloodhound with a goatee and a silly hat. Ultimately, though, I think it was Jackman who delivered the complete package as a singer and an actor, and was probably the best single performance of the whole movie.

-> 8/10
Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Murder, my Sweet - A solid noir based on a Raymond Chandler story. The mystery had many turns in it but it does fall short of the best films of its type. 7/10

101 Dalmatians - Another fun Disney film even if it doesn't match up to many of the alltime classics. The story was a bit thin but the characters partly make up for it. 7/10
Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 PM

10/10
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM

8/10
Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 AM

Sex & Fury(1973)-7/10
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM
The Bay - 7/10
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
7/10
Old 03-19-2013, 04:23 PM

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone(2013)-6/10
Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 PM

9/10
Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 PM
The Sword in the Stone - This was a fun retelling of one of the Arthurian legends. The wizard duel was probably the highlight of the film and there were a lot of funny lines throughout. 9/10

The Jungle Book - Mowgli was sort of an annoying little twerp but most of the animals were really good. My favorites were Baloo and Shere Khan. 7/10
Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Promised Land - 6/10
Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 AM

Cliffhanger(1993)-7/10
Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM
247ᵒF - Recently picked up this film on Blu-ray and surprisingly loved it. Based on true events, it tells the story of a bunch of teens who get stuck in a sauna and are slowly cooked alive.

It's a little like Frozen (but the opposite!). Intense, claustrophobic and with plenty of great suspense too. Well worth picking up.

4/5
Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Supergirl (1984)

After the third and rather dismal 'Superman' film we got this spin off from the franchise about Superman's cousin. To be totally honest any film revolving around spin off characters you know to be weary of, Superboy, Supergirl, Superdog etc...could easily be duff outcomes if created. However this film is actually a surprisingly good offering which I don't think did any harm a tall.

The main reason for this is the good casting, in my books. Slater as 'Supergirl' is a great choice as she not only looks the part but does a decent job portraying the character too. The Salkind's made the right choice in going with an unknown just as they did with Reeve and for me it really shines through. The casting of Dunaway as the evil 'Selena' is again another great choice because Dunaway does the bitch thing really well and she also has a brilliant presence as the evil sorcerer, a perfect fit.

Marc McClure back again as 'Olsen' gives the film some needed credit and believability within the Superman franchise and Maureen Teefy is also solid as 'Lois Lane's' younger sister. Everyone else is your standard background fluff and could of been played by many, harsh but true. Such a shame the Reeve cameo never happened as that would have been sweet.

The rest of the film is naturally pretty obvious plot wise but it does exactly what you would expect for the franchise. What I like about this is the fact all the effects are still just about on par with the Superman films, Slater flying, hovering and performing super feats looks fine, it doesn't look hokey (for the time). Doesn't have the overall shine of course but it still does the job well if you ask me, apart from the 'Argo City' sets at the start maybe.

We also get some nice background work/info on 'Argo City', 'the Phantom Zone' (finally) and the Omegahedron serves well for the story, it all ties in within the whole franchise nicely. What I mean by that is, it looks as if it could fit within the 'Superman' films without an issue.

Looking back now it is of course hammy but its still a fun adventure, I enjoyed it more when I was a kid admittedly. Supergirl looks cute but cool in her outfit and does a much better job of disguising herself with her alter ego of 'Lisa' than Superman did, at least she actually looked different. Kinda yearns for the Superman score but I guess that wouldn't be right I suppose.

Only thing, 'Argo City' is in space right? and on 'Krypton' right? so how does it still exist for this film?. Also at the end Supergirl flies into the sea to get back there, soooo is 'Argo City' under the sea? is there a portal she went through down there? is 'Argo City' in another dimension? am I being thick here of what?? kinda lost me on that one.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM

8/10
Closed Thread