Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Marked for Death

Boooooomba clattt

6/10
Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 PM

9/10
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Black Rain 7/10 ( had no clue that Ridley Scott directed this, quite enjoyable)

The Jackal 7/10 (Gere's Irish accent is a bit shaky but its still an entertaining film and all the actors did a great job esp Bruce Willis)
Old 04-04-2013, 01:31 AM

Elephant(2003)-7/10
Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 AM

8/10
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Trance (Danny Boyle, 2013)

Was looking forward to kicking of my personal 2013 in film with Danny Boyle's latest and while its not likely to be a contender as one of the years best in certainly had me thrilled and engaged for most of the running time. That's probably more to do with the Boyle's typical high energy direction that the script or performances though. Not that the actors were bad, Vincent Cassell is always fantastic and James McAvoy gives a great performance as well but there's still something a little odd and unconvincing about his attempt to become the British Tom Cruise. Rosario Dawson is entrancing too, but I'm not a fan of this recent trend of directors directing their partners in sex scenes with more attractive men...my fault for knowing about their personal life but still, takes me out of the film. Like Shutter Island a couple of years ago, I'd recommend this if you're up for a fun thriller, but wouldn't totally sing its praises.
7/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceus View Post
Oh, it's hyper bo(y)le,
Haha

Last edited by Natty; 04-04-2013 at 09:41 AM..
Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 PM

The Host(2013)-7/10
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Wreck-It Ralph

Whether you grew up on Donkey Kong or Halo, there’s a ton of geek homages and animated magic to satisfy any viewer, any age, and especially any generation of gamer. From the classic ‘80’s blip-blip arcade sound effects of Fix-It Felix Jr. to the many cameo appearances and references (the random “!” from Metal Gear Solid was hilarious), it’s as enjoyable as these 3D family adventures get. Ralph’s story is a familiar one, that of the misunderstood outcast who rises to the occasion to save the day and finally be accepted by his peers. But John C. Reilly’s earnest performance and the fantastic collection of supporting acts from Sarah Silverman and Jane Lynch keeps things fast, funny, culturally savvy and heartfelt in all the right places. Disney tends to turn cliché into its own art form. If I had any lasting complaints, it’s the lack of even more cameos. The great opening sequence of “Bad Guys Anonymous”, featured heavily in the trailer, is where you’ll find most of the direct references, Mario’s Bowser, Street Fighter’s Zangief and Kano from Mortal Kombat being chief among them. Granted, Wreck-It Ralph himself is based pretty blatantly on Donkey Kong, so at least there’s a familiarity there. I dunno, maybe the nostalgia made me a bit greedy… You decide.

-> 8/10
Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 PM
The Spy in Black (1939) - This WWI spy film wasn't really entertaining enough to hold my interest for very long. Both the romance and the espionage was pretty boring. 3/10

Treasure Planet - The action was pretty good in this Disney film and I do like the ideas they used in adapting the Robert Louis Stevenson story as a scifi tale. There may have been a few scenes that felt a little clumsy but this was a bold move to make this film. 7/10
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM
first time viewing just finished

9.5/10
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 PM
last one before work

8/10
Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 AM

8/10
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 PM
THE RIG (2010) - In short, if LEVIATHAN and VIRUS took a dump, this movie is what you'd see int bowl.

THE IMPOSTER (2012) - A really interesting film. The story opens up and moves at a good pace and there's this "suction" through out and sometimes it's hard to differentiate what's real footage and what's "faked". A quite brilliant film of a really weird real-life story that just feels unreal.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Fear with Ingrid Bergman - Bergman is a woman who cheats on her husband and is then blackmailed by another woman. There is some intriguing psychological drama but the ending is a bit of an anticlimax. 7/10

Brother Bear - This is one of Disney's weaker efforts. The story was pretty mundane and the only characters I liked were the two moose. 4/10
Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Silent Hill Revelation.

Yeah, this sucked. Even with Malcom McDowell.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM

watching the original Japanese version

8/10
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Horror movie lovers looking for a straight up splatter fest of blood and gore will surely love the plasmids that the remake/reboot/re-whatever of Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell’s 1981 horror classic. This is no-holds-barred, uncompromising violence that befalls six friends who end up dealing with demonic possession after mistakenly reading from the Book of the Dead. But, while the film is bloody as bloody can be, the film makes the mistake of falling into the realm of below average remakes, culminating in a climax that feels way too similar from the recent horror remakes that have cropped up over the years.

The thing about this version of Evil Dead is, going back to what I’ve said earlier, the ability of being an uncompromising horror film. Yes, the film is bloody is hell, but the dreaded situation that befalls these cast of teenagers raises the stakes of creating a horror film that has true bite, rather than a simple nibble. First time director Fede Alvarez understands the mood and tone of what this update to Raimi’s original should bring to the audience, and it seems to yearn for the audience that has been through the Saw and Hostel films. Self violence and extreme gore seemed to be on the menu to how this film wants to garner a reaction to the average, as well as seasoned film goer, and on that front it succeeds. This film is MESSY, but the type that wants to surprise and get the audience screaming and laughing uncomfortably, never being settled to simple torture moments that Saw has been known for. The film is also gorgeous to look at. Alvarez makes the most of the creepy, foreboding “Cabin in the Woods” setting and never lets the tension fall by the middle act.

But, for all the blood, guts, and creepy setting; this version of Evil Dead simply gets impeded by not fulfilling to the uncompromising vision that the first two halves seemed to bring to the film. The final act just seems like a movie that didn’t know how to go out with a bang, and instead decides to go for a bloodbath that simply feels lifeless and more fitting for an uninspired climax that a lesser horror remake would put out. Ultimately, the film felt like the writers had a devil of a time with the first two halves, but didn’t know how to strike the finish. Also, while blood and gore is all well and good, the more supernatural aspects that could’ve been brought to the table regarding a Book of the Dead never seemed to be on the table for the director and writers. There are moments of creepiness where the possessed started to mentally screw around with the survivors, but they play the same card a few too many times that the creepy effect wears off.

The actors themselves are competent, though they do get a bit of blatant expositional dialogue in the first act that doesn’t help them at all. Shiloh Fernandez is on and off as David, the estranged brother who is asked by his friends to take his sister, Mia (played by Jane Levy), to their family cabin in order for Mia to kick her drug habit. Levy is great with what she has to do as Mia, the drugged out sister whose detox gets interrupted with the arrival of some pesky demons summoned from the Book of the Dead. Her predicament is probably the most sympathetic throughout the six characters, as she’s the character that is pretty much the most helpless, as well as dangerous Lou Tyler Pucci plays the smug friend Eric well enough, and seems game to whatever his character has to go through when all hell breaks lose. The only non-characters are Jessica Lucas as Olivia, the nurse in the group that doesn’t make much of an impact, and Elizabeth Blackmore as David’s girlfriend Natalie, who doesn’t make an impact at all.

Then again, most of you don’t care about these characters to begin with, only that whatever evil that is unleashed in this newest version of Evil Dead is ruthless, bloody, and just a great horror experience. The first two things can be an apt observation what Alvarez brings to this iteration, but the last part seems just more average than truly great. The film can’t keep the blood pumping at the end, and instead decides to cop-out to a final act that doesn’t seem to be worthy to the movie that was promised to horror fans.

6/10
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM

8/10
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 PM

7/10

6/10
Old 04-06-2013, 12:54 AM

The Station Agent(2003)-7/10
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 AM

The Life of David Gale(2003)-7/10
Old 04-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Dark Skies - 7/10
Aside from a few treat the audience like they're retards moments, much better than I thought it would be.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:36 AM

6.5/10
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM

7/10 (Unrated 121 Minute Version)
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM

7/10 (119 Minute Unrated Director's Cut)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Home on the Range - This was a pretty boring Disney film. The three female leads were decent in their voice roles but everything else from the plot to the other characters weren't very good. 4/10

Chicken Little - This time I liked most of the characters. The story was still a little weak but still managed to be fun. 7/10
Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 AM
GANGSTER SQUAD - 4/10

Pffft, what a waste of a talented cast. Penn was laughable as an over-the-top, snarcky "mobster". Just like everyone else, there is not a single bone of complexity with Mickey. Everyone is the most basic caricature of a person. There's "the tough as nails law abiding ex-military cop", and "the tough gunslinger cop", "the family loving bookworm cop that brings the brains", "the understanding captain", "the playboy tough guy cop"....
So stupid.
Even funnier is the attempt at being stylish, when the screenplay demands nothing even resembling the need for style. It's like putting platinum-chromed wheels on a broken down Pinto - what's the point? It's just a waste.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 AM

8/10
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 AM

Still love this film. Easily in my top five.

10/10
Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 AM
KUNG FU HUSTLE - 9/10
Still one of my favorite "stupid" slapstick comedies. One of my ALL-TIME favorites! Love it.

SHAOLIN SOCCER - 8/10
I know this is usually regarded as a better movie than HUSTLE, but I still feel a little more attachment to the prior title. This, however, is another silly, fun and highly imaginative romp that is worth watching.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM

7/10

7/10
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Life of Pi

An inspiring, thought-provoking, profoundly moving film. I have some issues with its core messaging, but they’re my own personal quibbles, and they don’t detract from the experience. Ang Lee really outdid himself here, taking an allegedly unfilmable book and indeed filming it, and beautifully at that. The visuals alone are astounding, centre stage being taken of course by the seamless interaction between Pi (Suraj Sharma) and the Bengal tiger (named “Richard Parker”, how gloriously nutty is that?) lost at sea in a lifeboat and a shoddy makeshift raft. A story of human survival is where the film excels, while some of its more overt metaphorical wandering on the nature of faith did come across as a little pretentious. Or perhaps I’m just wary of it when the subject matter comes up in such an unabashed fashion. I could be projecting, I’ll admit. But beyond all that, the ending is what struck me the most, even as a non-religious person. The film asks you to think about what you saw and draw your own conclusions about what Pi’s journey meant, if anything. That singular challenge by itself is uplifting, life-affirming and impossible to deny the power of, whatever one’s belief system. In the end it doesn’t reward or punish you either way for your view of the world, so ultimately any issue I alluded to earlier is moot.

-> 9/10
Old 04-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Evil Dead (2013)

Ah, now that's refreshing. That's a remake done right, completely washed away the bad taste in my mouth left by The Thing (2012)
Boy, it's unrelenting too, giving you almost no time at all to relax, I was constantly uncomfortable throughout the entire thing. Gorehounds are gonna eat this one up.
I really appreciate the lack of CGI (i think there was some CG fire but okay...), but all the buckets of blood are actually buckets of love and passion to create a create a great horror.

Few complaints:
Acting and dialogue is a bit wooden sometimes and there were a few 'characters' that were around, but pretty much nonexistent until the time came to pick them off.
also,
I wish I didn't watch the Red-band trailer, as it spoiled some of the good scares and gore. I think I would have been a lot more shocked if I never watched it. If you haven't seen the red-band trailer, DON'T watch it.

Looking forward for a hopeful 'director's cut' Blu-ray.
8/10

Last edited by Bahs; 04-07-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Old 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM

Monster(2003)-7/10
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM
watched earlier

7.5/10
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Meet the Robinsons - This film has its flaws but I did like the characters and thought it was a very charming film. 7/10
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM

8/10
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM

7/10
Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 PM

Spring Breakers (7/10)

The Place Beyond the Pines

damn near masterpiece imo

10/10
Old 04-07-2013, 10:58 PM

Finding Nemo(2003)-8/10
Closed Thread