Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:09 AM
The Place Beyond the Pines

9/10
Old 04-13-2013, 02:21 AM

To the Wonder - 8/10

Upstream Color - 9/10

Two of the best films of the year, but UC just floored me.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 PM

7/10

9/10
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 PM
watched earlier today

Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster-8/10
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero-8/10
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Dirty Harry - Eastwood was really good as the cop desperately trying to stop a serial killer. The politics may seem a little too fascist at times but the characters do give the film a certain depth that many films of this type lack. 7/10

Magnum Force - I actually like this one a little better than the first film in the series. Eastwood is a bit more sympathetic as it is the vigilante cops who are truly villains here. The reveal of who was behind the squad was a nice surprise too. 8/10
Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0896534/?ref_=sr_1
Deadgirl 6/10

Not your ordinary zombie flick.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 AM

She Done Him Wrong(1933)-8/10
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2330866/?ref_=sr_1
The Thieves 7/10

A korean Ocean's Eleven.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Citadel

Benefits the most as a horror movie from director Ciaran Foy’s choice to film it in the naturally spooky environs of a rundown housing slum on the English outskirts (or is it Irish? I wasn’t quite clear on that, not that it really matters…). The film is centred on Tommy (Aneurin Barnard), a young man whose pregnant wife is attacked in their apartment building in a harrowing opening sequence, which subsequently leaves him a widower with an infant daughter and a serious case of agoraphobia. But something out in the dark of night smells his fear and wants his daughter for their own nefarious ends. Simple, right? That’s why it’s so good. It also has a surprising toll of social consciousness as it explores the forgotten world of the downtrodden, but ultimately you’re here for the thrills and spills, and Foy doesn’t disappoint. His creatures, never having any sort of clear identity until the third act, could be street urchins on PCP or demons from a netherworld, and that mystery is largely what makes them and their growling, staggering impishness so effectively scary. And even when you find out “what they really are”, you’re still left with uncertainty as to what drives them or what they’re all about. Fuckers gave me the creeps. Awesome supporting performance from James Cosmo too, playing the kooky priest who knows a thing or two about this demonic infestation and what needs to be done about it. The film has some redundancy issues, not to mention an unnecessary romantic subplot with a nurse who takes an interest in helping Tommy get through his condition, but overall it was really well done. The atmosphere alone is hard to forget.

-> 8/10
Old 04-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Killing Them Softly (9/10 )

Halloween 2 (5/10)
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM
The Enforcer - This Dirty Harry film did feature a solid supporting performance from Tyne Daly but it was too short to fully develop the story. Eastwood also wasn't as good as he was in the prior films. It's still decent and what happened to Daly's character was a bit of a surprise but not as good as the first two films. 6/10

Sudden Impact - This is more like it. A better story of revenge this time and some exotic locales really helped this film. Also like the second film of the series there is a character even more extreme than Harry Callahan that makes him more sympathetic. 8/10
Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 PM

6/10

6/10
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post

6/10
Classic. I always remember that dramatic ending.

Evil Dead

What's there left to do but add buckets of gore, huh? But you know, still fun to watch that shit so...

7/10
Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 PM
6.5/10
9/10
Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 AM

The film 42 focuses on only about 3 years of Jackie Robinson's life,which is a bit of a
disappointment since so much of his life was interesting before and after retiring from
baseball.Still 42 is a very strong film,with even stronger performances. Team executive
Branch Rickey (an almost unrecognizeable Harrison Ford),had his personal and financial reasons for
breaking Major League Baseball's color barrier by signing African American player Jackie Robinson.
Which in 1945 was completely unheard of and many balked at the idea.

The film thankfully doesnt try to sugar coat what followed.There wasnt some great Disney moment in which
Robinson was accepted by his fellow teammates,players on oppossing teams ,or people attending the games
Fortunately Robinson had the support of a loving wife (Nicole Beharie as Rachel Isum Robinson, African American sportswriter
Wendell Smith(Andre Holland) and Rickey who was a stern almost fatherly figure to Robinson.
There were some including Dodgers manager, Leo Durocher (Christopher Meloni) and Pee Wee Reese(Lucas Black)who felt if Robinson
had the goods he deserved to be on the playing field as much as any other man.

Director and writer Brian Helgeland hits all the right emotional chords.After listening to a relentless barrage of racial slurs from
Philadelphia Phillies, manager Ben Chapman(Alan Tudyk ) Robinson leaves the field and his outcry afterwards went right through me.One of
the most emotional moments i have ever seen on screen.
Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson hits all of the right likeable notes.The supporting cast is terrific.
Robinson had to face racism not with his fists but to turn his anger around and beat the racists at their own game,by stealing bases
playing the game, and letting his talent shine through.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

Disconnect

The title of the film Disconnect can mean many things.It can apply to the family in the film who can barely
have dinner together before returning to or being distracted by their mobile devices.Or the couple that have been
distanced by a tragic death.It can also be a command to the audience to put our mobile devices away,so we may have a
decent conversation,or actually look at the person we are out on a date with.

Incredibly strong performances from Frank Grillo,Andrea Riseborough,Paula Patton,Michael Nyqvist ,Alexander Skarsgard and Max Thieriot
(Jason Bateman is the standout) propel the film past it's predictable turns and weaknesses.
The film looks at the dark side of the internet.From illicit and explicit web cam chat sites,cyber bullying,catfishing,and fraud.
Cyber emotional friends and hard drives that store every keystroke and website you visit leads to all types of turmoil.
If the goal of the creators of the film was to make the audience reflect on their own trips around the world wide web
they succeeded.This is very watchable,intense and reflective film.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Shameless: The Complete First Season

In a lot of ways, it’s basically a standard sitcom writ large, only without the laugh track and a lot more nudity and swearing. Not that I hold that against it, but I could never get into it as compulsive viewing. The dysfunctional Gallagher family became a group of crazy friends I wanted to hang out with every now and then, but I didn’t necessarily have to finish the season right this very minute, know what I mean? In fact, I could’ve had it done weeks ago, but instead just came back to it off and on. That more than anything should tell you how I feel about it, but when I was onto it, I was laughing, often out loud and heartily, and was feeling the dramatic core of the show when it was at its best. It’s a hard mix when you’re doing a comedy and a drama at the same time, and sadly the show does occasionally fall into the pitfalls of that mix. Case in point being Bill Macy as the family’s drunken delinquent father Frank, whose hilarious schemes to cheat the workers’ comp board for a disability check and general debauchery were sometimes a little too cartoonish for a series that at least some of the time strove to present its characters as living in its quasi-realistic depiction of a decrepit Chicago ‘hood. In the end, Frank’s antics are fun and all, but it’s really the other actors that make this more of a hit than a miss, namely Emmy Rossum as Frank’s eldest daughter Fiona. Her desperate attempts to keep the family together through mounting debt and Frank’s frequent bad influence are essentially THE heart and soul of the show, so perhaps it suffers from a case of false advertising. If you go in thinking this is Macy’s show and Rossum and the rest are supporting acts, you’d be mistaken. But enough bitching, right? Watch it and I dare you not to laugh deep in your gut at least every episode. The classic quote quota here is unreal.

“You WHORE! Whores don’t GET cars!!”

Haha, oh man, I’m still laughing good over that one…

-> 7/10
Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 PM

Mrs. Doubtfire(1993)-8/10
Old 04-15-2013, 12:50 PM

7/10
Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM

Hitchcock
6/10
Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 PM

Evil Dead(2013)-6/10
Old 04-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Happiness (8/10)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 PM
The Dead Pool - My least favorite of the Dirty Harry films but it's still decent. I did like the chase scene near the end and Patricia Clarkson did a solid job. The story was a bit weak though. 5/10
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Spring Breakers - 8/10
The Place Beyond the Pines - 9/10
Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 AM

7/10
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 AM

Jason and the Argonauts(1963)-8/10
Old 04-16-2013, 02:05 AM

7.5/10
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Carnivale S01-S02 - 9/10
Another one for the "how the fuck could they cancel this?" list.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077558/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Five Superfighters 7/10
Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 PM

2/10
Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 PM
The Kentucky Fried Movie - This was completely tasteless but it was still funny at times. The sketches were hit or miss for much of the film but I did enjoy the lengthy kung fu story. 6/10

Love and Honor - A sappy love story set during the Vietnam War. It was really contrived with mediocre acting and just a hint of a coherent story. Its biggest redeeming quality is they cast two beautiful young women to keep men interested. 3/10
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM

8/10
Old 04-17-2013, 01:18 AM

It Came from Outer Space(1953)-8/10
Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 AM
The Whistleblower

This was pretty boring.

6/10
Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 AM

Looper
7/10
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
The Cove (7/10)
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Evil Dead

Vile, meanspirited, schlocky and disgusting. But in modern horror parlance, all those in this case are merely synonymous with “a great fucking time at the movies”. A respectable and often clever combination of the material from the first two Evil Dead movies (minus most of the gruesome slapstick and one-liners, understandably but sadly), you can chalk this up in the column of how to do a remake justice. If you’re gonna do it, go balls to the wall and fuck the naysayers, and newbie horror maestro Fede Alvarez follows the general template of the original while allowing plenty of grisly surprises for those jaded fans who are expecting a step for step rehash of Ash’s debut adventure. In fact, I’m not in the camp that views the original Evil Dead as a sacred cow, so I was all for this project, and add to that how violent and downright evil (reeeeeally) Alvarez could be in putting his characters through a wringer, I couldn’t be happier with the result. Just remember, kids, in the event of demonic possession – nothing says “I love you” like a shotgun blast to the face.

-> 8/10
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Joy of Living with Irene Dunne and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. - Dunne is a theater star who finds love when she meets a free spirited millionaire. This is light hearted fun with a couple of songs too. The plot isn't anything new and the supporting characters don't offer much at all but the two leads do a good job. 6/10

Nurse. Fighter. Boy. - The one person who did a good job here was Clark Johnson as the troubled boxer who falls for a single mother. The rest of the film wasn't anything special. 5/10
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 AM

Paycheck(2003)-8/10
Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 AM
Jindabyne

While on a fishing trip 4 men discover a woman's body in a river,but decide to continue their fishing trip.
What follows is outrage from the woman's family,the town,and their own families.
Mesmerizing and haunting with a few minor weak points in the story.
Scale of 1-10 an 8½

Bel Ami

To avoid a life of poverty a young man uses seduction to climb into high society.Not a great movie or script
but it is definitely entertaining and amusing at times.

Scale of 1-10 a 6½
Old 04-18-2013, 04:33 PM
To The Wonder

Achieves a certain poetic fluidity with Malick’s brilliant visual strokes, where he paints moving photographs of the American Midwest that could only be more breathtaking if you’d been in the location yourself. But where the attention to mood and evocative photography ends, the ambiguity and emotional disconnection begins. I thought Days of Heaven was the best example of Malick blending both aesthetic mysticism and relateable emotional storytelling into one, but here there’s something lacking. The acting is fine from all involved (especially Bardem as a priest struggling with his faith), the cinematography is second to none (to state the obvious), and Malick’s broader theme of love as a mercurial beast unconquered is both universal and deeply personal. But as good as the actors are, they don’t come across as living, breathing characters, but as walking, talking (barely) symbols and metaphors. It’s easy to like the piece as a whole as a work of art, but harder to love it as a conduit of human emotion that I’d heard it so masterfully accomplished. Sorry, just not feeling it that much. In the end, there are only so many shots of longing gazes and freespirited frolicking from Olga Kurylenko you can watch before an arty detachment sets in. Will a second or third viewing change my mind? Maybe. But first impressions still count for something.

-> 6/10
Closed Thread