Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS - 7/10

I wanted to give this a 6/10, but Christopher Walken's final monologue was fantastic. He killed it. Plus, it was a pretty cool "wrap up" to the alright-but-not-great goings-ons beforehand. One of those times where waiting until the end makes it worth while.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
PARKER

Though he went by the name Porter in the 1999 film Payback ,its great to re visit the character
again in the film Parker.Parker (Jason Statham) is a thief with principles,so much so he feels there should
be honor among thieves,so when he's double crossed and left for dead by his former crew
he sets out for payback and to teach them a lesson his way.

The first half of Parker starts off great.A slick heist,action,and humor( the hospital scenes
are friggin hilarious) but when Parker decides to make a sexy real estate agent Leslie
Rogers (Jennifer Lopez) a part of his plans ,the film starts to crawl.Add a nosy cop (Bobby Cannavale)
who's horny for Rogers,and the film is down to turtle speed.

The film does have a few more action sequences that are fun and with the exception of some fun creepy
moments Lopez's involvement is completely forced and unnecessary.

Statham and Lopez have been in far greater romantic crime capers than this like Out of Sight and
The Bank Job i suggest you rent those instead of seeing this so-so flick.

Scale of 1-10 a 6 ½
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 8/10
Oldboy - 9/10
On the Road - 8/10
Celeste and Jesse Forever - 8/10
Taken - 9/10
Taken 2 - 7/10
Silent House - 6.5/10
Liberal Arts - 6.5/10
Drag Me to Hell - 7.5/10

I must confess, I didn't watch these all today, but over the last week or so
Old 01-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Watched the film Living Will yesterday. Ryan Dunn is surprisingly really good in this and I wish I could of seen him in more comedies.

6/10
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Alex Cross - 3/10
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM

Oliver Stone’s film about the journey of Vietnam veteran Ron Kovic from eager solider to anti-war activist for the Vietnam war has the heart in it’s right place, primarily with Tom Cruise’s no-holds-barred performance of Kovic. There is also a majority of scenes where Stone seems to really connect with the material that he was adapting, which was the memoir written by Kovic himself. They are gut–wrenching, uncomfortable, and are certainly personable to what the book was trying to get across to its reading audience. There are moments where Stone’s narrative to Kovic’s book gets a bit disjointed and a little more impact to the personal character progression of Kovic could have been utilized, but as a message to Vietnam anti-war message in the 1960s and early 70s, Stone’s film gets the important point across.

The main great ingredient to this film was Tom Cruise himself who, at this point in his career was trying to distinguish himself as a serious actor. His role as Ron Kovic certainly cemented that yearning; as he displays the range of emotions that the real-life Kovic was burdened with. From idolizing the military with wide-eyed admiration, overwhelmed to the harsh realities that he dealt with overseas at Vietnam, to his eventual purgatory status as a disabled veteran that doesn’t know how to deal with his future, Cruise nails it all. He’s the guiding force for the film, and rightfully so.

But the second great ingredient is definitely Stone with how he presents Kovic’s world throughout the decades. From Kovic’s youthful days of his life in Massapequa, New York, the burning landscapes of Vietnam, and the return and recovery from his injuries from the war; Stone makes sure that the viewer experiences everything that Kovic’s is being affected by. There are instances where the message has been received, but there’s the need to use the “Sledgehammer Effect” that Stone sometimes uses in his film in order to portray what has happened, but for the most part the film is directed with a fine hand.

What doesn’t work is the need to have Kovic’s progression come through a movie screenwriting viewpoint. I know there’s a need to make things that happen in Kovic’s life feel more spiced up in order for it to appear more engaging for the film audience, but this leads to characters that feel important in Kovic’s life on the film screen to simply be there and drop from the face of the earth. One example is Kyra Sedgwick’s “love interest” character for Ron Kovic (that apparently never existed in real life) who seems to possibly play a more crucial role for Kovic’s life, only to be simply dropped in order to progress the story. There are characters like this strewn throughout the film, and while I understand why they are there for Stone’s film adaptation, but there appearance and disappearance in the later acts of the film give Born a bit of a disjointed feel, as well as never really allowing Kovic’s character on the big screen to personally evolve from solder to activist in some ways.

But those minor complaints aside, Born on the Fourth of July is still a personable film about activist Ron Kovic, and Cruise’s performance and Stone’s direction, for the most part, are all effective to make sure that it never feels hollow to the book. A fine film that chronicles the problems about Vietnam, while also a great personal story on an interesting human being.

8/10
Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM

7/10
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401815/?ref_=sr_4
Tamara 7/10
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Oliver Twist (1948) - I didn't really care for this all that much. Even Alec Guinness gave a rather average performance as Fagin. The film was sort of boring and no where near as good as David Lean's adaptation of Great Expectations. 5/10
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Sound Of My Voice - 6/10
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM
watched

8/10

watching

9/10
Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM

8.5/10
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Damages: The Complete Fifth Season

The epic courtroom confrontation that the entire series has been building toward – Patty vs. Ellen. The Big Kahuna vs. The Lil’ Tuna. And yes, Glenn Close still scares the shit out of me. With those cool blonde locks and frosty eyes that promise retribution at any cost, she’s almost scarier than anything Clive Barker could imagine on his best day. I’m gonna miss Patty. I am. Joining this final season’s festivities as Patty’s defendant and Ellen’s client is Ryan Phillippe as a WikiLeaks-inspired expose artist and hacker savant who may have had a hand in leaking the personal information of an inside-trader whistleblower (Jenna Elfman) alongside the relevant goods, damaging the woman’s and his own credibility at the same time. It’s a role that pretty much echoes the purpose of his character in The Lincoln Lawyer, basically. “Did he or didn’t he leak it?” and “Did he have a personal reason to slander the woman?” being the operative questions that make the case so murky. But it’s also what sets the stage for a fight to the legal death between Patty and Ellen – if a case isn’t reliant on facts to win it, then it’s up to the best lawyer to outthink and outmaneuver the other. Though despite a satisfying resolution and a striking final scene, two things prevent me from being completely in love with this season. One is the overarching flashforward mystery that the show does every season. At this point, I know how clever the writers are and I’m on to them, so I immediately distrusted their premise of a certain character’s inevitable fate from word go. Second was the abundance of surreal dream sequences, which overstayed their welcome. You expected to see that kind of mindfuck in an episode of Lost, but in a legal thriller with no supernatural element at all? Gimme a break. There was enough there in Byrne and Close’s performances to understand where their characters were coming from, we didn’t need to be co-opted as amateur psych analysts, too. Other than that, I have no lasting complaints.

-> 9/10

Along with that, here are my final rankings for this underrated series:

1. Season 3
2. Season 1
3. Season 5
4. Season 4
5. Season 2
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 PM

7/10
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Magnificent Obsession with Irene Dunne and Robert Taylor - A woman blames a spoiled man for the death of her husband and he turns his life around and dedicates himself to solving her misfortunes. A couple of fine performances drive this film. It may be a bit sappy at times but I liked this romance. 7/10

They Met in Bombay with Clark Gable and Rosalind Russell - A couple of rival jewel thieves decide to team up but get caught up in a war while trying to hide out afterward. Gable was as suave as ever and Russell makes for a good addition to the film as they had good chemistry. 7/10
Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 AM
Silver Linings Playbook - 5/10
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Expendables 2 - 7/10
Premium Rush - 6/10
Texas Chainsaw 3D - 5/10
Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Wanderlust (6/10)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM

There’s nothing sweeter than a good old fashioned western, and Tombstone happily rises to those heights, mostly helped by some scene stealing performances from the charismatic leads. The story can get jumbled with side plot and romances that more hampered the film rather than help it, but director George P. Cosmatos is focused enough that the good far outweighs the bad.

The performances that are main showstoppers are that of Kurt Russell as Wyratt Earp and Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, respectively. Two well known Western legends during the rise of the old west, the two companions, along with Earp’s brothers (Bill Paxton and Sam Elliott) head to Tombstone, Arizona as a ways to start a new life from their own checkered past, more for lawman Earp than outlaw Holliday. But, when a gang of outlaws aptly named “The Cowboys” enter the picture, the past just can’t seem to escape Earp’s life, and he beings to fight it head on.

This is the most engaging aspect of Tombstone, building the suspense and conflicts between The Cowboys to a fever pitch between the two. This leads to some great standoff moments and shootouts, though brief, that punctuate the suspense very nicely. But, it’s the standoffs that steal the show than the action, with characters mouthing off each other until guns are drawn and blood is shed.

The second engaging aspects are the actors themselves, with Russell and Kilmer completely nailing their respective parts. Russell’s Wyratt Earp is the man who wants to move on with his lawman life, retiring into the west with the hopes of fortune and a happy retirement. Elliott and Paxton as Earp’s brothers, Virgil and Morgan, are more background characters, but sort of play into the conscience that Earp bleeds when the Cowboys begin to terrorize the town of Tombstone.

Kilmer, on other hand, is electric as Earp’s outlaw friend Doc Holliday, a gunslinger that’s slowly withering way due to an illness of tuberculosis. He plays his role as an enigma, a man who knows he a legendary gunslinger, and oozes the charisma, danger, and confidence on screen. Many say that this is Val Kilmer at his greatest, and the performance that he brings to the screen is certainly proof enough.

The rest of the cast fills out their roles nicely, with genre favorites Boothe Powers and Michael Biehn as the heinous leaders of the Cowboy gang. Powers plays the flashier, charismatic villain Curly Bill Brocius, while Biehn plays the strong, silent deadly type in Johnny Ringo. Actually, most of the film has many great actors in minor roles, from Thomas Hayden Church to Charlton Heston, to fill out a boisterous cast in Tombstone.

The only problem in Tombstone is the need to shoehorn in a romance/love triangle with Earp and a showgal (played amicably enough by Dana Delany) that feels hollow, with the more dynamic storylines involving Wyratt Earp’s conflict with The Cowboys being more interesting and involving. The whole romantic angle just feels like a pit stop to the film’s forward moving plot, never given enough meat that the rest of the plot lines have in spades.

Other than that, that’s the only bruise to this sweet, ripened western film. The majority of the performances of the actors are all rock solid, and the action is ample enough to make any Western movie fan grin gleefully. Yes sir, there’s nothing like a good old-fashioned western, and Tombstone makes that point succinctly clear.

8/10

Last edited by Mr.HyDe807; 01-30-2013 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Tombstone isn't in California dummy.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters(2013)-7/10
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Star Trek (2009) - 3.5/5
The Imposter - 3.5/5
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (6/10)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Dollars with Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn - This was an entertaining heist film with a lot of twists in the plot and some good action. The two leads had chemistry as well. 8/10
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM
The Thieves - 7/10

5 Broken Cameras - 7-7.5/10 (hard to rate but this is essential viewing, trust me)

Bernie - 7/10

The Collection - 4/10

American Mary - 6.5/10
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 PM

8/10
Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 AM

7.5/10
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 AM

8/10
Old 01-31-2013, 01:42 AM
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

9/10
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 AM
Gangster Squad - ***

Awesome movie. Brolin, Gosling, Mackie and Patrick are super badass. Penn is over the top in a great way. Emma Stone looks stunning though she is underused. Just an enormously entertaining movie. I'm actually glad that they filmed a different ending, because the hotel set climax is awesome.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
Wild Target (5/10)
Zero Dark Thirty (10/10)
Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 AM
first time viewing just finished

7/10
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Linings Playbook (2012) 7/10
Argo 96% (2012) 9/10
Road to Perdition (2002) 6/10
Brother's Keeper (1992) 9/10
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Searching for Sugar Man (2012) 9/10
John Carter (2012) 6/10
Barton Fink (1991) 7.5/10
Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 PM

Movie 43(2013)-3/10
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM

6/10
Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 10/10
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM

7/10
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Django

Blood-spurting spaghetti western exploitation with a killer soundtrack, a killer attitude, and a killer… um… killer. Far from a man with no name, Sergio Corbucci takes his hero in the opposite direction - the name “Django” is on the lips of every character in the film at some point, purred or hissed depending on the amount of pleasure or grief that the gunfighting mercenary has dished out. Corbucci doesn’t possess the same level of skill as the other Sergio in terms of pacing, maybe, but he’s got a firm grasp of the genre’s style and knows how to maximize Nero’s screen presence to its fullest, if not necessarily the actual performances of the rest of the cast, which are second-rate but serviceable. However, like Leone’s best movies, a vivid impression is made through the soundtrack and how the images are edited to it, such as Django’s showdown with about 50 members of the KKK in the middle of town, or the over the top introduction of the villain Major Jackson, first seen casually sniping Mexican peasants for sport.

-> 7/10
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Moby Dick - The action was really convincing in this adventure. I wasn't sure about Gregory Peck playing Ahab at first but I came around by the end of the film. It was a solid adaptation of one of the great American novels. 7/10
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Shame [McQueen] - 3.6/10
Magic Mike - 8.4/10
Gun Crazy - 9.5/10
Amour - 9/10
Modern Times - 7.2/10
12:08 East of Bucharest - 8.5/10
Police, Adjective - 9.4/10
Damsels in Distress - 9.7/10
Sátántangó - 10/10
Sansho the Bailiff - 10/10
Kicking and Screaming [Baumbach] - 9.8/10