Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
The Artist - 7.6/10
Bridesmaids - 8.5/10
127 Hours - 6.8/10
Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles - 10/10
The Color Wheel - 8.6/10
Melancholia - 9.6/10
Blade Runner - 7.8/10
Silent Light - 9.7/10
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Hanna (2011) 8.5/10
Synecdoche, NY (2008) 8/10
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 PM
first time viewing just finished

7/10
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 PM
The Forty First

A romantic drama that tells a compelling story of forbidden love between a Red Army sniper and her White Army captive. The weak link early on is the Bolshevik circle-jerking, where characters frequently proclaim the glory of “The Revolution!” with a passion that was perhaps better spent on the core relationship between the two star-crossed lovers before they’re left to their own devices. But whatever. It’s a product of its time. Can’t be helped. To be fair, the specific Civil War politics of the era are eventually downplayed by the time the second half – and the meat of the story – starts in earnest, trading its “war movie” stripes in for a more contemplative moral study on the stupidity of war when the two characters examine their individual desires versus that of their loyalties to cause and country. In that sense, it connects more universally than from where it starts, where it just assumes you as a viewer are a loyal Red. Jingoism is jingoism, and it’s always fucking annoying. To end on a positive note, though, the beautifully bleak desert photography from Sergey Urusevsky is also worth mentioning.

-> 8/10
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Carnal Knowledge - Jack Nicholson and Art Garfunkel play two friends and the film follows them and their (mostly disastrous) relationships over a couple of decades. The surprise here was Ann-Margret giving perhaps the best performance. I always thought of her as merely a sexy girl who went into film because of her body. I might have to rethink that now. Anyway, this film is quite good in depicting two men who are struggling to find what they want in life. 8/10

Fitzwilly - I had heard a few bad things about this film but I liked it. Dick Van Dyke plays a highly educated butler who is the mastermind of numerous robberies in order for his employer to maintain the lifestyle in which she is accustomed. There were some funny scenes and the final robbery was well done. 7/10
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 AM

7.5/10
Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 AM
ARGO - 8/10

Although it was some damned fine watching, I got a little frustrated with the final act because the efforts at building tension to the very last fucking second wore thin fast. It could have been at LEAST five minutes shorter, and not so melodramatic.
Other than that, it was a great movie.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 AM
whew, I watched 6 movies yesterday
loved them all

Detachment (2012) 8.5/10
Fork Over Knife (2011) 8.5/10
Samsara (2012) 9/10
Red Hook Summer (2012) 9/10
Up (2009) 9.5/10
Robot & Frank (2012) 8/10
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 4/5
The Princess Bride - 3.5/5
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM
The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia - 4/10
Hollow - 5/10
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Argo

All this kicked off when I was but a mere sprog at the tender age of 1 year old, that's a long time ago folks. So Affleck steps up to the podium with an attempt at an epic, gritty, realistic political rollercoaster which is based on a true story where there wasn't actually that much danger truth be told.

Based on true events and more recently an article about the whole charade. The story involves a small group of Americans trapped in Iran after the US embassy was stormed and taken by militants. The group pretty much hide away in various places, moving around somewhat with the help of other foreign embassy folk until the Canadian Ambassador 'takes them in'. From there on the CIA conjure up a plan to extract the lost escapees by hoaxing the scouting of a major motion sci-fi picture and pretending the six Americans are crew members.

On the visual side of things this film did impress me, its pretty flawless as Iran is recreated right down to small details that were captured on film at the time (a man strung up by a large crane downtown). The clothes, hairstyles, cars, interior decorations, technology etc...are all spot on and captures the late 70's perfectly. The cast are all terrific and perform beautifully, I admit I don't know who most of them are (the escapees mainly) but they do a sterling job.

Alan Arkin is by far the best thing going for the A list actors on show. His gruff, rude outspoken manner is brilliant for his character of the film producer 'Lester Siegel' (fictional character), great Hollywood type name too. John Goodman is here again!! this time he does a good job as old Hollywood makeup artist John Chambers. Not only is his calm demeanor very likeable and pleasant but he actually looks like the guy too.

When it comes to the lead role of 'Mendez' played by Affleck I gotta take a step back from my enjoyment of the film. Like I say I did enjoy the film, but a nagging thought in my head just keeps telling me Affleck gave or saved the best meatiest role for himself...simply because it was his film and he could.
Yes Affleck does OK in the role, there is no machoism going on, no over the top acting, its all very straight laced and plain. But the fact his character was Latino and I don't think Affleck really looked like the guy either kinda makes me wonder why he just didn't cast someone more appropriate. Yes I realise what I just said doesn't mean Affleck wouldn't be good for the role and not give the right performance, but because he was the director I just sense a bit of self indulgence really. Meh! but that's just me.

So yep this was truly daring stuff, the kind of thing you'd half expect to hear from a dashing WWII adventure by us crafty Brits hehe. As usual though we do have the problem of the Yanks taking a lot of credit for themselves and ignoring everyone else. As with a few other war stories, certain other parties involved in this plot have unfortunately been given a bit of the cold shoulder. To the common viewer it won't make a difference of course but to those involved it has been noticed and caused a slight stir.

Most of the film is a build up for the finale which doesn't disappoint I guarantee. The whole finale is a bit predictable naturally but it still grabs you by the collar. Even the build up is interesting which surprised me as I expected lots of dull political/government spiel from lots of grey suited blokes with thick rimmed glasses and hair partings you could sail a boat down.

The film in general, I must give kudos to Affleck and his team for what they have achieved. Despite the need for adding a few Hollywood moments to rack up the tension like the runway chase and various sweat inducing confrontations, the film is reasonably accurate and highly enjoyable. Probably the most exciting tense ride I've experienced in a film for sometime where no one actually gets shot or killed!.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Import/Export - 10/10
Alphaville - 8.5/10
Wet Hot American Summer - 7/10
The Triumph of the Will - NR/10
Shock Corridor - 10/10
Ivan's Childhood - 9.1/10
The Master - 9.4/10
Silver Linings Playbook - 9/10
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace - 10/10
In the Loop - 9/10
Beyond the Hills - 9.5/10
Holy Motors - 7.3/10
Cosmopolis - 8.5/10
Alps - 8.3/10
A Dangerous Method - 9.6/10
Compliance - 7.4/10
The Earrings of Madame de... - 10/10
What's the Matter with Kansas? - 8.7/10
Sans soleil - 9.3/10
Under the Volcano - 6.2/10
Lost Highway - 8.6/10
Daisies - 9.6/10
Take Shelter - 9.4/10
Beginners - 6.4/10
Meet Me in St. Louis - 10/10
Meek's Cutoff - 9.8/10
The Turin Horse - 10/10
Salò - 8.8/10
Rebel without a Cause - 9/10
Certified Copy - 7.9/10
Somewhere - 4.3/10
My Joy - 10/10
Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 PM
This is what's been going on the last 2 or so days
-------------------------------------------------------------
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Marilyn is a director's and films best friend.

The story didn't feel complete but Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell's voices, looks and movements are really the film, like two mesmerizing paintings in motion both which are opposites of each other with Russell having a harder undertone in her voice and Monroe who's voice is like a soft, light blanket covering over you, she could put children to sleep with it and gentlemen. A classic just on their presence alone.

I also hadn't seen or heard them on the screen before in a long long time, and after just having finished an autobiography of Monroe which was compelling, this really knocked me over.

================================================== ===
River of No Return
Once more Marilyn Monroe picks up and sets the movie into motion, it would have become forgettable most likely without her. A lot of the dialouge is kind of dull, the Indian villains have no backstory and serve as flat sterotype savages, but an ending with plenty of sad irony and her voice and presence made this one a rip roaring good time.

================================================== ==
Tried to finish Around the World in 80 Days not knowing that half the film was on one disc and the other half on the other. I say that because I just mailed a box of dvd cases home and 80 days was in there with disc 2, I thought it was just the special features disc. So I have to watch the rest on youtube or something, what a crime, great so far. I still also have the uh........ 2004 version with Jackie Chan as the supposed to be french assistant to Mr. Fogg.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
watched these two earlier

7/10

9/10

now watching

7/10
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Seven Psychopaths - I had fun watching this. Sam Rockwell was fantastic in his role and Woody Harrelson was pretty damn good as the dog loving nutjob as well. The story was pretty good too. Maybe the end wasn't quite as good as the rest but I wouldn't call it bad. The one thing that bothered me was Olga Kurylenko was featured on the poster for the film and then she has one lousy scene in the movie. I was hoping to see more of her. 7/10

American Reunion - Like always my biggest problem was Stifler. He is one of the most annoying characters in film history. This film felt kind of unnecessary - it didn't really add anything to the series other than to get many of the actors some work they desperately need. Alyson Hannigan is really the only one of the main cast I enjoy and this film did nothing to change my mind about the others. 4/10
Old 02-03-2013, 07:28 AM
GROUNDHOG DAY - 7/10

CADDYSHACK - 7/10

It was fun to see Groundhog Day again... it's been a while. Also fun was to watch two movies directed by Harold Ramis, featuring Bill Murray and also based around a groundhog and hedgehog!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 AM

8.5/10
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Lawless - 7.5/10
Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Slowly catching up on 2012 films:

Prometheus I quite liked, nothing more than a more-artistic-than-usual sci-fi horror if you forget about the Alien connection but I wasn't bored at all. Fassbender continues to be one of the best actors working today with the brilliant homage to Peter O'Toole.
7/10

Django Unchained
Probably not worth being rated by me yet because went in there knowing I would bloody love it and came out bloody loving it.

Zero Dark Thirty
Fascinating film that I recognised as a less fun more 'mature' brother to The Hurt Locker, Chastain and Jason Clarke are fantastic in their roles (I love how Clarke's character has the nerve to refer to torture victims as 'bro') and the climax was superbly done.
8/10

Flight
A truly great acting performance from Denzel Washington yet again. The rest of the film doesn't quite match the quality of his contribution to it but is interesting and exciting enough to be well worth the watch anyway.
8/10

Also both Mesrine films directed by Jean-François Richet.

The always brilliant Vincent Cassel delivers a masterful turn as one of the most notorious criminals in French history. It's been referred to as a French Scarface and whilst that is understandable given the great energy of the first film, its also an interesting study in how a police force and a national public associate and deal with such a renegade human being. Part 2 is more interesting as it starts to deal with those bigger themes, but the whole story is excellent.

Last edited by Natty; 02-03-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Taken 2

The Hangover Part II of modern action sequels. Substitute Istanbul for Paris and you have yourself the same flick as the first one, only with slightly weaker fight choreography and even more painful to watch “drama” in the first fifteen minutes. And you thought the teen popstar subplot was bad, wait’ll you get a load of the boyfriend ordeal. Jaaaaaysus. But once you get through that crap, Olivier Megaton does turn up the heat to a point where I was able to finally just let my brain take a much-needed vacation and enjoy the slickly edited car chases, bullet-blasting standoffs and brutal fisticuffs. I guess I should give the writers some credit for a few original perks in a genre that sports so very few of them. Namely the novel way the villains contrive to kill someone very slowly (logical, and seems simple enough, but I hadn’t thought of it before), and the way Neeson maps the location of his captors with nothing but a watch and a receptive ear for detail. Pretty cool. Other than that, blah blah blah.

-> 5/10
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Yesterday I checked out a food documentary. It was decent.
It basically stated, eat whole foods, eat raw when you can, use food as your medicine.

Food Matters 7/10
Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM
This morning I have watched 3 movies

The Queen of Versailles 2012 (riches to rags documentary) 6.5/10
The Future 2011 (love story about time and decisions) 7.5/10
Restrepo 2012 (military documentary) 7/10
Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 PM

7/10
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM

7/10

One of many films that jumped the 1970's disaster genre bandwagon. Also an inspiration for an episode of the 80's tv show McGyver.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Butter - I didn't care for Jennifer Garner in the lead role but Olivia Wilde was fun whenever she was onscreen. The film was also pretty predictable. 5/10
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 PM

8.5/10
Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Django Unchaingo
I do admit there isn't anything like it out and it was a roaring time for what it is but I still have personal issues with how Mr. Tarantino does his films, just me.
80/100

How to marry a millionaire.
Fun even if a little slow.
80/100

Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM
The Master

Need to see it more than once to be sure where I stand on it.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 AM

8/10 Great music.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 AM
THE SESSIONS - 7/10

Not too shabby. I thought it was going to be one of those terribly super-sappy melodramas that just plain piss me off.
There weren't many surprises, nor was it a terribly complex film, but it is what it is and for being such it works.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 AM

5/10
Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Bullet To the Head

Sylvester Stallone sleepwalks through this very basic and for the most part dull action flick.
Even the axe fight which i was looking forward to,is lackluster.
Scale of 1-10 a 5

Young Adam

Bleak but honest story of an amoral drifter,who faces a dilemna that could
alter his life forever

Scale of 1-10 an 8

Paul Williams Still Alive

Engrossing and interesting documentary of the multi-talented Williams,and how
even the brightest stars in Hollywood can slowly fade away.

Scale of 1-10 a 10

MOVIE 43

An extremely vulgar version of Saturday Night Live,but just like SNL
some of the sketches are very funny and some are painfully unfunny and go on to
long.

Scale of 1-10 a 6½
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Wild Strawberries - 6/10
Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Parker(2013)-6/10
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Rango- 7/10

I really enjoyed it. One of the best animated movies Ive seen in a while.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM

8.5/10

8/10
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM
The Invisible War

A heartbreaking expose on the epidemic of sexual assault in the U.S. Military, powerfully told through the firsthand stories of rape survivors and legal and psychiatric experts. Despite its strong reception from critics who appreciate a great documentary (though it’s probably appreciated by Kirby Dick and his crack team of filmmakers, I’m sure), this is a story where no critical raving could come close to matching the film’s real life impact. The viewing of the film by Pentagon officials (Panetta in particular) has actually facilitated demonstrable change in the military’s legal policy toward rape prosecutions, ie. taking prosecutorial discretion out of the hands of commanders, a small but necessary step that had yet to be enacted at the time of the interviews conducted here. So that alone makes the film, by definition, one of the most important documentaries to hit the screen in a long time. And gives a bit of a feel-good silver lining to what is mostly a depressing and infuriating chronicle. It’s a somewhat shaming experience as well, for those of us who were simply unaware of how big a problem it really was and how many lives have already been either completely destroyed or irrevocably affected. The suicide statistics alone are gut punches, but hearing testimony from survivors who’d either considered it or actually acted on it… I dare you to keep your shit together, is all I’m saying.

-> 10/10
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Monte Walsh (1970) - Lee Marvin was great as the cowboy whose way of life is disappearing. There is some tragedy as the film progresses which I won't spoil but it does allow Marvin to show what a good actor he was. I really enjoyed the friendship between he and Jack Palance as well. 8/10
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 AM

7/10
Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 AM

7.5/10
Closed Thread