Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Life Of Pi - 9/10
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM

Quartet(2012)-7/10
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Thoroughly Modern Millie - This musical comedy featuring Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore was pretty damn funny. It was just nonstop insanity for much of the film with the two ladies providing a great variety of entertainment. 8/10

Indestructible Man - Lon Chaney Jr. is a man who was executed and brought back to life by a mad scientist. He then proceeds to get revenge on the people who betrayed him. There isn't a whole lot more than that to the film. It was sort of dull even for a B movie. 4/10
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 PM

8.5/10
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Killer Joe
6/10
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Killer Joe - 6/10
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM

Warm Bodies(2013)-8/10
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Elektra Luxx - I liked Women in Trouble more but this still had its moments. Surprisingly I thought the best scenes were with Adrianne Palicki and Emmanuelle Chriqui. 6/10

Ice Station Zebra - This spy/action film had a lot of fine characters and a plot that moved at a brisk pace. I liked how many of the crew members motives weren't revealed right away. Ernest Borgnine was my favorite in the film and he had quite an interesting story. 8/10
Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Celeste and Jesse Forever(2012)-6/10
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM

Stand Up Guys(2012)-7/10
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
On the Road - This was so fucking boring. None of the actors showed any charisma which is pretty vital for this movie. 3/10

Walkabout - This film had pretty sparse dialogue so it was more about the scenery and the actors' ability to tell the story through their actions. Jenny Agutter was pretty good and looked really nice as well. The film did get progressively bleaker
Spoiler:
culminating in the aboriginal's death - then they finally find a road out of the wilderness the next day and end their miserable journey.
7/10

The Jazz Singer - This is more a historic moment in film history than actually entertaining. The story wasn't very original and the songs were decent but nothing really memorable. 5/10
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Almost Heroes (1998)

This is one of those low key comedies that you saw on the top shelf at your local video shop purely by accident when you went in for something else...something good. You noticed it and it intrigued you because you'd never heard of the film. You took it down and looked at the back of the VHS box to see more, hmmm Chris Farley and 'Chandler' from 'Friends', could be good fun.

In brief this film is fun but very very very low brow and only works purely because of Farley's great screen presence. When I say fun I mean its good for the odd chuckle or visual moment but overall its complete and utter trash.

Dare I say fun trash, I can't deny I liked Farley and his wild, over the top insane physical comedy, childish yes but also amusing. All of this was of course down to his size but his facial expressions could be gold.

This is standard Farley fare with everything you would expect from the late comedian. The film is deliberately tacky and cheap looking with plenty of toilet humour, dumb visual gags, unrealistic sequences and Perry is in there purely to attract a bigger audience through his 'Friends' fame. Naturally he does just that by giving us more 'Chandler' wetness than you can shake a stick at, a period set 'Chandler'.

If you're a Farley fan then you can't go wrong. I liked it for what it is...just an extremely light hearted comedy no brains required, typical Farley fun fluff.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Yesterday

This is England 6/10
Knife over Forks (nutrition doc) 8/10 (2nd viewing)
Life in a Day (youtube fan made doc) 7/10
Blade Runner 7/10
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Sin Nombre

Writer/director Cary Fukunaga deftly combines the hopes and dreams of the South American immigrant experience with the harsh, uncompromising gangland anarchy on the ground. The film follows two protagonists whose journeys eventually intersect on the train to the Mexican border - Sayra (Paulina Gaitan), a young girl travelling with her father and uncle to the border, and Casper (Edgar Flores) a gang member on the run from his former homies. A connection is made, a bond is forged, and through the course of the film, redemption for both is possibly on the horizon as they evade immigration authorities and relentless, vengeful gangsters who will stop at nothing to hunt Casper down. Despite this being one of his first films, Fukunaga was already a master craftsman, knowing precisely how to ratchet tension at the right time, how to slow things down for those quiet moments that help keep his story viscerally and emotionally effective, and of course working with his cinematographer Adriano Goldman to capture some simply beautiful images.

-> 8/10
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
A Thousand Words (2008/2012)

Its amazing how far and low Eddie Murphy has fallen, this guy used to be an action/comedy star, now he churns out straight to DVD rubbish. This film was made in 2008 yet due to major studio issues it wasn't released until last year 2012! now that's unlucky.

To be honest the film isn't all that bad, there is a nice spiritual Buddist/Hindu flow through the plot which is simple yet effective. Its an easy going 'Scrooge' type affair really, Murphy is a fast talking slick literacy agent ('Jack') who stretches the truth to make his deals. He gets his comeuppance when he tries his usual spiel on an Indian Guru and ends up getting cursed.

The curse being a Bodhi tree appearing in his garden, from there on every word 'Jack' utters a leaf drops from the tree, the tree dies as the leaves drop...and so does 'Jack'. Once 'Jack' realises his situation the tree only has 1000 leafs left, thus he must try not to speak anymore and hilarity prevails.

Seen something like this before you say? yep you would be right, the plot is very much like Jim Carrey vehicles 'Liar Liar' and 'Yes Man'. In fact this film could have easily been a Jim Carrey vehicle, the plot is perfect for him, its virtually 'Liar Liar' all over again, to a degree. Murphy is wasted here as his best asset is his loud mouth, without it he's rather dull. The problem is Murphy doesn't have the rubber faced skills of Carrey (who would have fitted this much better) to fall back on.

The laughs are very predictable as you can imagine but as said Murphy can't really pull them off very well, he's not that kind of visual comedian. The plot is sweet but again incredibly predictable and ends up being very very mushy towards the end, in fact I still don't quite know what Murphy's character really achieves to reverse his curse. Cliff Curtis as 'Dr. Sinja' is a nice cast choice but you almost feel the role could be given to Morgan Freeman as the character is pretty much the same as his 'Bruce Almighty' role. Lets be honest the whole cast of 'Bruce Almighty' or even 'The Truman Show' could replace the cast for this film and it probably would have done much better.

Its nice to see some Hindu/Buddist imagery and religious culture in this film but that can't really save it. A bad choice in casting lets the film down hugely, on one hand it could have been a sensible emotional drama, on the other a great comedy. In the end its neither and simple below average, its annoying as there is a nice story in here too.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Silent Hill - 7/10
Taken 2 - 5/10
Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Beverly Hills Ninja (1997)

I suppose it was too much to ask to make it through the whole of this film without hearing the songs "Kung Fu Fighting" and "Turning Japanese". Translation, this is probably and predictably the most cliched film you will most likely see...but Farley is the star so we can forgive a bit.

This was the last film that was released whilst Farley was still alive I think, and despite the fact its completely a one joke/gag film its still thoroughly enjoyable. Farley is a ninja, a big fat ninja, a big fat ninja believed to be the prophesied 'great white ninja' and has been raised from birth by a ninja clan in Japan.

The whole obvious gag being of course that he's not the prophesied great ninja (or is he?), nor is he really very good at being a ninja at all. The whole film is pretty close to the classic 'Pink Panther' as Farley goes on a mission to help the stereotypical sexy blonde lady whilst being shadowed by his ninja 'brother' played by D-list actor/martial artist Robin Shou. In other words a bit like 'Inspector Jacques Clouseau' and 'Kato'...well I think so.

As I'm sure many of you can guess this leads to huge amounts of childish visual gags and childish prat falls of epic Farley proportions. Yes we've seen it all before by now with Farley, his quirky rubber faced antics, his slapstick, his surprising agility and his over the top loud outbursts...but dagnabbit it still makes me smile.

Farley may not be to everyone's taste with his extremely simple dumb routine but I for one love it. This setting and concept does add a nice hint of originality to Farley's portfolio even though the whole idea of a spoof martial arts film isn't. All the slapstick does get a tiny bit tiresome towards the end as the same visual jokes are regurgitated but overall its still a nice laugh out loud serving of chop socky action. As usual with Farley...brain is not required.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Magic Mike - This film was just OK for me. I wasn't really invested in any of the characters as I don't think any of the actors did a particularly great job - even McConaughey. There wasn't anything terribly wrong with it - I just think it's one of a number of average films that I'll probably forget about. 5/10

Bottle Rocket - I liked the quirky characters in this. The plot wasn't very original but the characters made it a fun movie. 7/10
Old 02-09-2013, 12:14 AM

The Cat in the Hat(2003)-6/10
Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 AM

9/10 wow this is almost 30 years old
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 AM
Yesterday- Bullet to the Head
63/100
A nice effort but kind of forgettable...

Today- Some Like it Hot
100/100
unlike this, what a warm delight it was seeing this for the first time.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 AM

5/10

4/10
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 AM

8/10
Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Searching For Sugar Man - 9/10
Chinese Zodiac - 3/10
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Classic Albums: Fleetwood Mac - 08/10
Mission Impossible IV - 10/10
https://netflix.hs.llnwd.net/e1/images/6892/1096892.jpg
Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Now call me ageist but I firmly believe if you were born around 1980 then you will really get much more out of this film. I'm not saying that no one else will of course, everyone will enjoy this ride but the pure retrotastic feast on offer here will make certain folk of a certain age grin from ear to ear. I really will try not to use the word 'retro' too much here...ah who am I kidding!.

Just to see the poster for this film is glorious, the classically designed 80's style arcade front that clearly homages games like the original 'Donkey Kong' and maybe 'Rampage' is beautiful. Even the title of the film is perfect, the team behind this film have really hit the nail on the head.

For a fictional game 'Wreck-It Ralph' is beautifully designed and could so easily be a real game. The character sprites of 'Fix-It Felix Jr' ('Donkey Kong Jr'?) and 'Turbo' in 'TurboTime' ('Rally-X'?) are also well done.

The plot isn't as simplistic as you would imagine either. Obviously it involves a struggle against a villain but the writing team have cleverly used the common problem of old game glitches, hacking (not so much old school with this of course) or 'crashing' alongside the more typical rescue theme. I also loved how they went about creating the whole videogame world underneath (or behind) those trusty old arcade cabinets. Using the cables as a kind of subway portal to a main hub where all characters go to relax or meet, a huge videogame central station.

I can't deny I've often thought about how worlds like this might or could exist/work if you wanted to make a film centered around a videogame universe. Same with how you would create a world/universe which incorporated every cartoon character ever.

I loved everything I saw in this game, almost. The visuals of course are top notch CGI as expected but I'm referring to the mix of old school and new gen videogame worlds, characters and styles. All characters have a modern CGI sheen but they still keep their traditional artistic style somewhat. But its the little things that really made me smile, the sound effects for one, small touches that bring everything together. All those legendary pings, rings, dings, power up's and extra life sounds and are all in place for the various characters.

Also loved how in the old 8-bit style game sequences everything has a pixelated edge...just like the games. Nice use of a classic Nintendo D-pad tucked away in there too, why not more from Nintendo in this?.

When 'Sonic' gets hit he spills a load of rings everywhere, 'Clyde' the ghost from 'Pacman' hovers as he should and has those classic 8-bit effects when he goes blue, 'Q*bert' sprites are as you remember them including balloon speech, the 'Wreck-It Ralph' sprites all move in a jerky limited way just like old 8-bit sprites and there are many small cameos from game characters ranging from back in the day to present day. In fact I'm sure many young folk watching won't have a clue who some of them are.

This is all boosted even more with lovely little real in-game sequences from a few games like 'Pacman' and 'Tapper'...which I was so pleased to see. Oh my 'Tapper' or 'Root Beer Tapper' was one of those old school games that spawned a huge following of fans and copies, you would find it in bars for heavens sake!. Makes you wish they still had those dark dingy mist filled arcades chock full of those wonderful cabinets.

The only criticism that hit me whilst watching, which is more a constructive artistic difference of opinion really, is the lack of real game environments. In other words, how much cooler would this film had been if the 'game zone' of 'Heroes Duty' was actually 'Halo' or 'COD'. Or if the game zone of 'Sugar Rush' had been 'Mariokart' both with all their gameworld characters. I realise its a small moan and copyrights I'm sure came into play hugely but seriously!!! how fudging awesome would that have been!!!!?? makes me dribble at the thought of it.

The other thing was, 'Vanellope' still has her glitch 'skill' at the end, so how come that's not seen as a game fault causing it to be 'out of order'?. Oh and 'King Candy' looks and sounds like 'The Mad Hatter' from Disney's 'Alice in Wonderland'.

My imagination was running wild whilst watching this film and long after. I wanted there to be more characters, more sprites, more worlds, more classic sound effects etc...just more input from various giant videogame companies. The last film to make me feel like this (slightly) was 'Scott Pilgrim' and all the nice little videogame touches that had. Before that you gotta go way back to the cartoon 'Captain N: The Game Master' which was a Nintendo fueled awesome fest (look it up).

This animated film has so much win in it I simply can't include it all. Yes a major part of me liking this is because I'm looking at it through some pretty darn thick rose tinted specs but everyone my age will be the same (if you played videogames). Just like 'Toy Story' the film taps into a long distant loving childhood memory and brings it all flooding back. Not even a childhood memory seeing as I'm sure many still play but the retro appeal here is as strong as an iron girder. Makes you wonder why it hasn't been done before.

Did I see 'Sub-Zero' in this or just a character like him?. Oh stick around for the end credits as they are nicely done also.

'Right here. I'm Zangief, I'm bad guy'
Old 02-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Warm Bodies

8.5/10
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM

7/10
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM

BMX Bandits(1983)-6/10
Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 PM
watching on bluray

9/10
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Lincoln - 6/10

Hey Spielberg could you put some more shots of people looking inspired while overwrought music plays over them? Thanks bro

(rating will probably go down, I should have stuck with my Spielberg ban)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 PM
The Sessions - John Hawkes was pretty impressive but that's about it. I don't see why this film is getting a lot of praise. Without Hawkes is a pretty mediocre film. 6/10
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM
watching on bluray

9.5/10
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 AM
My Marilyn Monroe marathon concluded with The Misfits.
Sad that this is her last completed picture, no songs, no diamonds or pretty dresses but a dark look into who she was and how she didn't "fit" in this world, as the mismatching puzzle pieces suggest at the start of the film. Arthur Miller being the screenwriter may have had something to do with that, but anyway I'll let better writers discuss all that kind of stuff, I enjoyed the film, that's what I like to write about, the love for the films and the crew in them, and she was unlike the rest, if only it could have different for her.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 AM
watching the 177 Minute Extended Version

8/10
Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 AM
FDR:American Badass: 7.5/10
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 AM
THE PRINCESS BRIDE - 10/10
Still one of the greatest movies ever. Love it 3x.

CRAZY, STUPID LOVE - 8/10
I had to choose movies based on Valentine's Day, and well, this was a great choice. Some people I know never saw this before so it was great watching it again with an audience unfamiliar with the final shenanigans.

Oh and it's my birthday but overall I got proverbially fucked in the ass by a broken iPod Touch (the touchscreen decided to stop working), standing 20 minutes in line for a taxi while holding two fresh hot pizzas, and receiving a bottle of great tequila by a couple that love me as a present and having it fall to the floor and shatter the alcoholic juices all across said floor.
*sigh*
Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Black Sheep (1996)

Made simply because 'Tommy Boy' was an unexpected success, clearly somewhat rushed and not fully thought through. I have read that Paramount just wanted to team Spade and Farley together again asap, so we have this blunt comedy.

The idea isn't too bad, its all about a political campaign battle between the brother of Farley's character and the wholesome all American 'Evelyn Tracy' played by Christine Ebersole. As you can guess Farley's character is a clumsy embarrassment to his brother (played by Tim Matheson) and inadvertently causes all manner of horrendous goofs whilst in the public eye. This of course puts his brothers campaign in jeopardy of which his rival tries to take full advantage of.

Same old Farley I'm afraid which isn't too bad if you like the guy. I have said before and I'll say again I do like his antics, he is a funny fella and his films are nice feel good films where you can forget about any troubles you have. I also like how he tends to play the everyday man, regular Joe's, makes you connect with him that bit more.

Despite liking Farley this film does feel very forced with very little to show. The laughs are few and far between and what we do get is light at best. There are whole segments in the film where nothing really happens, the sequence where the pair find a bat in their wood cabin and spend almost ten minutes of the film dealing with it. There is a lot of lame filler which really has nothing to do with the plot, its just there to try and gain a laugh whilst padding out the film, or so it seems.

Even as a Farley fan I found it hard to enjoy this, there really doesn't seem to be any point to Farley and Spade being together here and half of what happens is irrelevant. I can't complain too much because this is obviously a dumb comedy, its not suppose to be anything else, but even so it feels very cheap and half hearted. In the end it really does feel like the two leads were simply thrown together for a fast money spinner off the back of a much better earlier comedy.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Collision Course (1989)

'Lethal Weapon' had stormed the buddy cop genre two years earlier thus kick starting the whole concept into overdrive. The late 80's early 90's was probably the height of this type of action flick, fast paced, simple plot, plenty of car chases, explosions and you're obligatory uneasy partnership between two bickering heroes.

This is probably one of the least heard of films in that genre, Jay Leno paired with Pat Morita? errr why? how is that gonna work? a tiny elderly Japanese man and a guy with a head shaped like the moon. Sounds totally bizarre and frankly it is!, the whole concept is totally ridiculous and offers nothing accept the uniqueness of the pair.

I guess because Leno was a popular stand up comedian at the time and Morita was big having just played 'Mr Miyagi'. Unfortunately this combination just doesn't work at all, Leno can't act to save his life and he isn't funny at any moment. Morita is a solid actor but really doesn't fit this kind of film, he looks very uncomfortable the whole time especially when the action kicks off. Morita literately has to step back from all the gun fights and fisticuffs because he clearly can't do it, his character either misses it or watches from the sidelines hehe.

Like I say the only thing this film has going for it is the unique pairing of Leno and Morita. The film also has a pretty decent cast that were probably hired due to their previous big hit films. Ernie Hudson has a minor role coming from 'Ghostbusters', Chris Sarandon is the main villain after success with 'Fright Night' and Tom Noonan as the main henchman with previous hits 'Monster Squad' and 'Manhunter'.

It just seems the powers that be have grabbed as many big names of the time as possible and thrown them all together in this dismal excuse for an action film. The plot just lurches from one boring set piece to another with terrible action sequences, terribly cliched dialog (although not for the time of course) and a lame plot about a stolen supercharger. Yes really that's it, would a Japanese cop travel all the way from Japan to the US for a stolen car engine part?.

I only saw this out of morbid curiosity because it had Jay Leno in an action film, now I've satisfied my curiosity I can say without a doubt it wasn't worth it.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 PM
The ABCs Of Death - 4/10
Apart from D Is For Dogfight, they're all terrible.
Closed Thread