Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Lincoln - 6/10

Hey Spielberg could you put some more shots of people looking inspired while overwrought music plays over them? Thanks bro
Or some more scenes of old men sitting around musty, claustrophobic rooms having boring conversations. Now that's the shit that earns you 12 damn Oscar nominations.

Last night...

Movie 43 (7/10)
I found a lot of this laugh-out-loud hysterical. The first two skits - Winslet/Jackman and Watts/Schreiber - had me laughing so loud it was actually getting a bit embarrassing The movie is completely tasteless and silly, but that's the whole point. It's acknowledged in dialogue early on that the film is setting out to be as crazy and ridiculous as it can. Not all of the skits work (hated Jason Sudeikis, this guy is not funny) but the ones that do make the movie worth seeing.

Last edited by urbanlegend23; 02-10-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 PM

6/10
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Here Comes the Boom (2012)

What can I say about this film, is it a comedy? an emotional rollercoaster? it stars funnyman Kevin James so it must be a comedy. Well it starts off as a comedy sure but as the plot unfolds and we near the crux of the matter it becomes much more like a small drama. Its a strange beast really which didn't really sit well with me, let me explain why.

My first impressions of the film were two things, firstly it just seems like an excuse to make another film around MMA and the UFC. Secondly, Kevin James has always had a slight weight issue as I'm sure you all know. This whole idea just seems like a chance for him to lose some excess weight, gain some muscle, look good and basically get healthy whilst being paid to make a film. Now call me cynical but that's how I see it because I will admit James looks good in the final fight sequences.

A reason I think this is because the story is completely stupid. A school in dire financial straits needs to make cut backs which means the music department will go. This means Henry Winkler's character will lose his job, so up steps James's character to try and save his job by raising the money required. Doesn't sound too bad so far, but wait! James's character wisely decides to become a mixed martial arts fighter despite the fact he's overweight and way into middle age, hmmmmmm might wanna think about that.

The whole premise is just absurd, for a dumb comedy it maybe passable but this film actually tries to be semi serious. Even though James's character decides to commit suicide in the ring to try and save Winkler's job, it takes Winkler's character until the last ten minutes of the film to try and stop James's character from killing himself just to save his job!. You'd think from the start Winkler's character would feel a bit awkward knowing that his best friend is being beaten to crap on a semi regular basis just to save his job.

I guess if you follow UFC then you'll get a kick outta this, there are many various folk from the 'sport' that make cameos and have roles, if you don't follow then they could be anyone. Well you can tell who the real MMA/UFC folk are because they can't act, dress rather camp (can I say that?), have poor tribal tattoo's and wear bling.

In the end this just seems way too much like a comfy personal get fit dream project for James. Two of the main characters are from 'King of Queens' for heavens sake (not including James), James is absolutely covered in tan makeup to make him look good both in fight sequences and regular scenes and the film clearly goes from comedy to serious fighting for James midway through.

Its like 'School of Rock' which slowly morphs into 'The Karate Kid' (because you know what's gonna happen) and then finally goes into 'Rocky' towards the end. The fun aspect goes out the window as James heads into serious mode which actually doesn't suit him. The emotion towards the end is so forced it makes you wanna look away from the screen. I think James should stick to TV because even though I like the guy he hasn't made a single decent film I think, 'Mall Cop' was amusing in parts but that's it. This film doesn't really know what it wants to be but if James wants to continue making films then he should stick to funny ones.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
The Impossible - Naomi Watts was good in the lead role as the mother of a family caught in the 2004 tsunami. The two younger kids were kind of annoying but at least they didn't detract from the film too much. The special effects during the tsunami scenes were also pretty impressive. 7/10

Argo - Why wasn't Ben Affleck nominated for Best Director? I haven't seen all of the nominees but I find it difficult to believe that there were five better efforts by a director this year. The more I think about this film the more impressed I am by how finely crafted it is. 9/10
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM

6/10
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM

Anita: Swedish Nymphet(1973)-6/10
Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 AM
First I will start with a couple of Godzilla (classic) films

First one I watch was Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla (1974) - (9/10) it has some very impressive monster battle.
2.Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II (1993) - (7/10) this was the sequel to Godzilla vs Mecha of the 90's
3.Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964) (6/10) I try to watch the "dub" version on instant streaming and wound up skipping the bad parts up til the monster battle and even then *bleh* while the monster battle was ok this came at the point where they change Godzilla from a monster to a silly cartoon monster that behaves like a human?, rather than the lizard that he is supposed to be, with him laughing at Rodan and then jumping up and down when he did something right. I guess this change came because of Gamera.
4.Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) - (8/10) i think i would give this something a bit higher if it wasn't for the really bad CGI and putting Don Fry in the mix but other than that a truly good Godzilla (monster) flick where it's about a really extremely piss-off Godzilla being stuck between the time he got put on ice and afterwards still remembering that.
5.Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975) - (7/10) another movie that i try to watch "dub" on instant streaming and wound up skipping to the monster battle parts but i did see the dvd version with japanese audio so it all work out well and saw it as it was originally intented. what I don't understand is those 2 kids (or whatever) wanting to get close to the action and when Titanosaurus is about to step on them and they yell: "Godzilla helps us" he just comes out of nowhere. It's like he did an Ultraman. He comes running and knocks on Titanosaurus and then its the background screen with the 2 kids running. In some places, especially between MechaGodzilla and Titanosaurus there were some really bad editing
6.Godzilla Vs King Ghidora/vs Mothra Double Feature (1991) I didn't realize when I rented it you didn't have the option to listen to japanese with subtitle and just listening to the bad dub (and i thought 70's dub was bad) this is even worse, bad f/x but where it counted was pretty much the monster battle especially towards the end where Godzilla fights a ramp up-control version of King Ghidorah. This movie especially, you could tell it was really a disaster/monster flick because of all the destruction and (subtly) death that occur. I didn't even bother watching Godzilla vs Mothra since it was dub and I can't stand listening to bad english dub that has no emotion in it and the actors were probably hire off the street.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Megamind
7/10
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 PM
The Toast of New Orleans with Kathryn Grayson, Mario Lanza, and David Niven - A poor fisherman is recruited to join the opera and falls in love with his stage partner. I don't really care for opera so that didn't really have an impact on me one way or the other. The story was decent but nothing special. It was an average film to me but someone who likes opera might get more out of it. 6/10

Jawbreaker - This was just another crappy high school movie with actors way too old for their parts. It's nice to see Rose McGowan playing such a bitch (and looking so damn hot) but otherwise nothing really worked. 4/10
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109494/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
Crackerjack 5/10
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 AM

The Stoned Age(1993)-6/10
Old 02-12-2013, 02:54 AM

9.5/10 my 3rd favorite in the series
Old 02-12-2013, 06:28 AM

8/10
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
first time viewing just finished

7.5/10
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
West Of Memphis - 9/10
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM

5/10
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM
The Hanging Tree with Gary Cooper - During the Gold Rush a doctor saves a robber and a woman who was in a stagecoach crash with nefarious purposes in mind. Cooper is pretty good at hiding his true intentions from others and my favorite scenes involve the two people he saved trying to get away from him and start their own lives again. 7/10

Flight - Denzel was great in the lead role as a pilot fighting drug addiction. I thought this would have more of a cookie cutter story but it actually dealt with its issues quite honestly. 8/10
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM

This one took a completely different direction than what I expected but that is also the reason why I loved In Bruges so much. 9/10
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM

Airborne(1993)-6/10
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Stand Up Guys - ***

A nice little movie with good performances from Pacino, Walken, Arkin and Juliana Margulies as Arkin's daughter. Not sure if I liked the ending though.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM

Bullet to the Head(2013)-5/10
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Three Coins in the Fountain - An average romcom with a predictable ending. Some of the performances were pretty solid and the Roman scenery was nice but there is little that is memorable about the film. 5/10

Celeste and Jesse Forever - Rashida Jones was great as a woman who is divorcing her best friend and is surprisingly the one having difficulty moving on. This film actually had a decent plot and characters that I cared about. 8/10
Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 PM

Watched Strange Brew(1983)-6/10
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Haywire
7/10
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
My Best Fiend (7/10)
Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
TPB: AFK - 9/10
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM

Side Effects(2013)-8/10
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Gangster Squad

Fedoras on, lock n load those tommy guns. So you have the new 'Die Hard' film or this, what's it gonna be? the choice is obvious, take a hike 'McClane' you have been retired. Never mind all this PG-13 crapola, this film is where its at and it kicks ass I shit you not. Even cooler is the fact the whole thing is based loosely on real events! yeah there's the door 'McClane', use it.

The plot is as basic as A B C, Mobster chief 'Mickey Cohen' (Sean Penn) rules LA with a sadistic grip. He whacks people like no ones business and usually does it in the most gruesome way just to make sure. In order to combat this an ex special Ops Sgt is asked to pick his own team of skilled guys and take down 'Cohen' any way possible, smash his underworld no questions asked.

The film opens with a brutal execution by 'Cohen' and his men, this is then followed by a brutal bust by 'O Mara' against 'Cohen's' men. Straight away your attention is grabbed by the scruff of the neck and you can see this film will be chock full of 40's period set ball busting...'Die Hard' what now??.

From this simple premise comes a highly predictable yet highly violent action thriller which mixes the gun toting mayhem of 'Last Man Standing' with the small team work of 'The Untouchables'. You could almost call this a sequel or remake of that classic Kevin Coster period thriller. The similarities are close from 'O Mara's' wife wanting him stop the fight, the obligatory recruitment sequences, the rants of revenge from 'Cohen' and the take down montages. The whole plays out like an extreme adult version of 'Dick Tracy'.

The films doesn't pretend to be anything but a near virtual graphic novel adaptation. Its not but you could be mistaken for thinking so, its fast with the action and light on the plot. The visuals are moody and slick, action and violence is highly stylised, the villains are obvious and pug ugly, Brolin looks every bit the action hero with his thick sturdy looking neck and prominent square jaw, Nolte is the gruff well built Chief and Penn is so over the top evil you'd think he was up against 'The Punisher'. I haven't seen someone chew up the scenery like Penn here for ages, he snarls, grimaces, scowls and bellows his way into the evil villain hall of fame.

In short the film is realistic in terms of style, sets, costumes, weapons etc...but very much over the top leaning towards comicbook. The team of 'Untouchables' are your standard fare too I dare say, the token black guy who is good with knives, the cowboy looking sharp six shooter played by Patrick, the token Mexican (for the West coast) played by Pena, Gosling as the ladies man and Ribisi as the brains behind the team. A League of Extraordinary errr...Elliot Ness type blokes who would be fighting Capone if they were in Chicago...type blokes.

Despite the fact this is based on reality the film simply does not try to be anything else other than a violent period set action thriller, you can smell it from the opening sequence, hell the title says it all. Brolin is so damn butch he made me feel ashamed of myself, the only things missing here that could of made it even better are Joe Pesci, Billy Drago and a Morricone score...damn son!.

'light em up'
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Savages

Don Winslow’s polygamous potheads come to the big screen courtesy of Oliver Stone, the only man who I believe could adequately attempt to translate a nutty story like this. The man just knows nutty. After a decade that saw a Wall Street sequel no one really wanted, a bloated historical dud, a sappy nationalistic tearjerker and a George W. Bush biopic, this seems to be the kind of film Stone has been jonesing to do again for a long time. He makes a U-Turn from his last few movies and veers right into the outlandish sex and violence that marked his ‘90’s efforts, and does his best to do justice to Ben and Chon’s forced buyout and ensuing war against the natural born killers of the Baja Cartel, represented by creepy psycho enforcer Lado (Benicio Del Toro, chewing into lines like they’re juicy steaks) and BC queenpin Elena Sanchez (Salma Hayek, surprisingly awesome as the coldblooded bitch with a maternal weak spot). Unfortunately the film is just average as a crime thriller, not really breaking out of its box of mixed nuts despite the unique core love story of Ben (Aaron Johnson), Chon (Taylor Kitsch) and their shared girlfriend O (Blake Lively), and some creative shot compositions by Stone. He fails – I think inevitably – to fully capture the magic of Winslow’s insanely genius prose, though some of it makes it in through Lively’s narration. It’s a movie, after all, meaning it has to show and not tell, but that’s sadly where the book’s best material lay. The ending too got fucked in translation, but that's another story.

-> 6/10
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Jeff Who Lives at Home (2012) 8.5/10 - Surprisingly enjoyable
Life of Pi (2012) 8/10
The Red Balloon (1956) - FRENCH 8.5/10
Stranger: Bernie Worrell on Earth (2005) - (DOC) 8/10

enjoyed them all
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 PM

Robin Hood: Men in Tights(1993)-6/10

Last edited by Puck Bond; 02-14-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM
my Valentine's Day film

8/10
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Papillon - I expected Dustin Hoffman to give an excellent performance but I was surprised by how much I liked Steve McQueen in this. It's a tale of a wrongfully convicted murderer (although he readily admits to being a thief) trying to escape from an island prison. McQueen effectively show the toll a life in prison can have on an innocent man. 8/10

War Witch - This was pretty brutal. A girl is taken from her village and forced to join a rebel army. The life she is forced to lead is very violent and bereft of any hope. 8/10
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacaskill View Post
Papillon - I expected Dustin Hoffman to give an excellent performance but I was surprised by how much I liked Steve McQueen in this. It's a tale of a wrongfully convicted murderer (although he readily admits to being a thief) trying to escape from an island prison. McQueen effectively show the toll a life in prison can have on an innocent man. 8/10
Yes to all of this. This also has one of my favorite movie endings. Great stuff.

Boxcar Bertha (1972)

There's nothing original about the story at all, but I still enjoyed it. Scorsese delivers the goods in several scenes, especially the ending, where the fate of David Carradine's character unsettled me.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 AM

6.5/10
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Black Sheep (NZ, 2006)

Deranged killer man eating sheep, sheep?! there are only two countries in the world where you could imagine this being set, Wales or New Zealand. I will spare you the obligatory sheep shagging jokes despite the fact this film actually uses that crude old low brow country laugh for the backstory of one main character.

So a dodgy sheep owner on a farm is carrying out dodgy genetic experiments on his sheep to turn them into carnivores. Naturally a couple of people steal a mutant lamb to try and expose this but they accidentally release it causing a mass infection of the sheep.

So its pretty much any infectious zombie flick you can think of but replace dead humans with mutated sheep. Sounds insane and it is, but I guess animals of such vast numbers like sheep, cows, chickens, pigs etc...would be perfect for this type of genre. If you think about it they are the most unlikely creatures that humans would be worried about, so there would be the under estimation of danger along with their sheer numbers.

This film is labelled as a horror comedy and has clearly been influenced by 'American Werewolf in London'. The sheep are like 'weresheep', their bite turns people into half sheep half human bipedal freaks that look like weresheep and the blood n gore is through the roof with some great hands on makeup effects. There is even a homage to the classic moment in 'American Werewolf' where 'David' transforms and we see his face n body extending with cracking bones. This is pretty much copied here (mainly the face) and looks just as good I might add.

Not your average horror and not really scary, more of a fun idea (possible homage) showcasing some great makeup effects and good use of some real flocks. What I'm waiting for now is the same thing again but for pigeons in London, seriously it could work.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 PM

Identity Thief(2013)-6/10
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
The Fallen Sparrow with John Garfield and Maureen O'Hara - This was a pretty good spy film with a lot of mystery. I did figure out who the mastermind was beforehand but not all of his accomplices or many of the details. 7/10

Beasts of the Southern Wild - I'm at a loss to explain why this is getting so much praise. The little girl was decent but not deserving of an Oscar nomination. There were some touching parts to the story but it did try too hard to be Oscar bait. 5/10
Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Cabin Fever(2003)-6/10
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacaskill View Post
That is a fine film, and the book is great too. It is known (the "true" story) to be quite fabricated, with stories taken from other prisoners that he claimed as his own... but it's a damned fine read.
Closed Thread