Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 AM

The Lady Vanishes(1938)-8/10
Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 AM
A Good Day to Die Hard - **

And I feel like I'm actually being very generous with my rating. Definitely one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Wreck it Ralph - ***

Lots of fun. Liked it a lot. Great animation, great voice work. Lots of great video game character cameos. And actually a pretty great story as well.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:18 AM
Mongol:The Rise of Genghis Khan

8.5/10

I was surprised how much genghis khan managed to advance his race. he was brutal to the people he conquered but he treated his soldiers and people extremely well. I enjoyed this movie a lot

Azumi

I was only going to watch a few minutes of this but ended up watching the whole thing. it was way different than I expected. it's a really entertaining movie that is now one of my favorite movies

9.5/10

Last edited by silentasylum; 02-16-2013 at 05:35 AM..
Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Recently bought and watched Sinister on Blu-ray. A terrific movie that's easily one of the best horror movies I've seen in a very, very long time. Ethan Hawke is fantastic in the lead role and the film is genuinely scary. Very atmospheric, very intense and with a great pay-off too.

Cannot recommend this high enough!

10/10
Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM
first time viewing just finished

8/10
Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Ratcatcher - 6/10
Pandora's Box - 6/10
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM

6/10

An artsy weird and bizarre film.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Gray's Anatomy - 7/10
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 PM
The Three Colors Trilogy - Wow. Those were three excellent films. The acting, the stories, the cinematography, the music - everything was great. I'll give them all a 9/10.

If I had to rank them I would say Red is my favorite, followed by White, then Blue. There really isn't much to criticize with any of them though.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Letter Never Sent

Itís Mother Nature vs. Mother Russia when a team of diamond-hunting Soviet geologists are stranded in the Siberian wilderness. Visionary director Mikhail Kalatozov follows up his í57 war romance The Cranes Are Flying with a survivalist story that highlights the endurance of the human spirit in the face of long odds, whether it be a raging forest fire or a brutal blizzard. Urusevsky as Kalatozovís cinematographer brings his artistic eye for detail and bold lighting choices to the fray that further emphasizes the storyís sense of desperation and wearying hardships. The fire motif was a nice touch especially, first as foreshadowing of the struggle to come and then a symbol of the teamís inner drive to complete their mission before winter calls them home as national failures. For an art film coming out of the USSR circa 1959, the last thing you might expect is a harrowing action sequence, but lo and behold, the breakout of the fire and the teamís narrow escape from the walls of flame is as nailbiting as anything youíd find in a modern Hollywood thriller. Letís just say it looked like safety standards on set didnít seem to be as big a deal as they are nowÖ

-> 9/10
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM

7/10
Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

'Jill Valentine' and three other people are holed up in an abandoned church trying to escape the ever growing army of zombies within 'Raccoon City' (one of the stupidest names for a city ever!). They are in a battle against a group of 'Lickers' and almost out of ammo, things look bleak.

Suddenly a bright shines through the huge stained glass window...'Alice' blows through the glass mounted on top of a motorbike. She lands perfectly, informs the survivors to take cover and proceeds to blow away all the 'Lickers' one by one in an eye shattering display of slow motion action enough to give any fanboy a hard on. At this exact moment the franchise dies, this is where the 'Resi Evil' film franchise loses the gritty grown up 'Aliens' clone formula of the first film and enters the realm of hyper martial arts and lots and lots of slow motion action.

The character of 'Alice' has been experimented on since the last film, apparently, which now gives her superhuman strength, speed and agility. This in turn takes the character and the film into the world of 'The matrix' and absurd action set pieces.

Don't get me wrong the film isn't entirely bad, the atmosphere and visuals of the film are decent whilst the abandoned 'Raccoon City' is created very well. You do get a great sense of dread from the deserted city, it feels dangerous and eerie with a really nice dark tone.

The film is still pretty adult I must say, there is plenty of blood, some gore and quite a few jump in your seat moments. The general survival concept is along the same lines as the first film with a small band of people trying to escape the City, its a solid idea which works. The problem is the inclusion of 'Alice' who drags the film down utterly with her over the top macho invincibility.

The inclusion of 'Nemesis' was of course required by all Resi fans and he is faithfully created, amazingly, although a bit rubbery. Not being a fanboy myself I just don't get why the 'Umbrella Corp' would release this huge monster simply to kill the remaining 'S.T.A.R.S.' members. Was this some kind of field test? and the fact they planned to nuke the City wouldn't that somewhat negate their precious creation?. On top of that they make 'Alice' fight this big guy for no real reason other than to have an exciting finale fight in the film...oh and something about seeing who is stronger, err why???. All that work just to have him fight 'Alice'?!.

The problem as said before is quite simply the character of 'Alice' and the fact we have to follow her around from one superhero sequence to the next. On top of that you have the pathetic alpha female rivalry between 'Jill' and 'Alice' (and both actresses) as both compete for sexiest zombie killer. 'Jill' wins purely down to her ridiculously skimpy outfit which is obviously in there just for the teen male audience. Because of course most special unit cops wear tight hot pants and a tight vest when in terror situations...wait this is a serious film?.

Its a brave attempt which literately just keeps its head above the waves and manages to be a reasonable film. Shame about all the slow motion crap but this is what happens when Jovovich is in a film. The film is basically let down by stupid action sequences which vomit on your suspension of disbelief, had these bits been more sensible or relatively realistic then the film could have been pretty solid.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 AM

Point of No Return(1993)-6/10
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM

7/10
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Lord Of The Flies ('63) - 2/10
A King In New York - 6/10
Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 AM

6/10
Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Cruel Story of Youth

Finally got to see this. This has been on my radar for a prolonged period of time - since at least 07 or 08. Thanks to the free Criterion stint on Hulu I got to see this.

A great analysis of youth, both from a male and female standpoint. Nevermind that this film is Japanese; the emotions and themes are universal. It's honestly, fascinating to me how the film's exploration of youth back in 1960 is as relevant today. Some things never change, but maybe it's because they can't change. Inherently it's in our DNA and only through age we discover our wrongs - or don't.

Easily now one of my favorite Japanese (new wave) films. The ending is abrupt however.

9/10
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 AM
The Campaign - 6/10
Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM

6/10

The 60's brought many weird and artsy films and even with propaganda messages promoting democracy, capitalism and fighting communism. That's what this film is.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 PM

I love Gael Garcia Bernal, one of my favorite actors, so obviously I gave this film a view. What I wasn't expecting was for Bernal to take this film to impeccable heights. He made the movie, hypothetically speaking. The cinematography, the writing, the acting, almost all perfect.

A-
Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 PM

Die Hard(1988)-10/10
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Playing Oscar catch up:

Lincoln

Great film. Very ambitious of Spielberg to craft a movie which is almost literally political discussion all the way through and I have to admit I did get bored in the first hour but it soon picked up and became another high quality addition to Spielberg's superb filmography.
8/10

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Special stuff, the two leads give great performances and even though I didn't embrace the films' 'magical' side as much as a lot of critics seem to have done its still a remarkable work that will make me curious to see Zeitlin's next film.
8/10

Amour

Oh Michael Haneke...I paid to see one of your films for the first time expecting something as brilliant but not quite as gloomy as your other masterpieces, but you surprised me yet again. One of the best films of the year, with astonishing work from Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant. One of those films that combines realism with out and out horror so effortlessly, but remains a moving, even inspiring work.
9/10
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post

Amour

Oh Michael Haneke...I paid to see one of your films for the first time expecting something as brilliant but not quite as gloomy as your other masterpieces, but you surprised me yet again. One of the best films of the year, with astonishing work from Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant. One of those films that combines realism with out and out horror so effortlessly, but remains a moving, even inspiring work.
9/10
This I still have to see. Love Michael Hanaeke.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM
THE MAN FROM EARTH - 10/10

FIREFLY, EPISODES 1-3 - 9/10
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM

Die Hard 2: Die Harder(1990)-7/10
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
The Hulu Free Criterion Weekend continues.

Babette's Feast - At first this seemed to be a pretty bleak film with the two sisters rejecting a chance at love. The latter part of the film however was fun with their housekeeper preparing a lavish feast after coming into some money. The food looked really good and the guests reactions were funny at times. 8/10

The Cranes are Flying - This film depicts both the horror of WWII and the people left on the homefront trying to piece their lives together. The leading woman was excellent and her grief was truly heartbreaking. 9/10

Cleo From 5 to 7 - An existential film in which a pop star wanders the streets of Paris waiting for the results of a biopsy. The conversations she has with friends and strangers deal with mortality and her despair as well as what leading a good life means. Again the lead actress was great and really gave a poignant performance. 9/10

L'Argent - It's really amazing how one seemingly minor crime led to such a horrible turn of events in this film. The film just kept getting more depressing as it went on until the shocking finale. 8/10
Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 PM

Die Hard with a Vengeance(1995)-7/10
Old 02-18-2013, 01:12 AM

Live Free or Die Hard(2007)-8/10
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1683921/?ref_=sr_1
Sleepless Night 7/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063186/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Kill! 7/10
Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacaskill View Post

The Cranes are Flying - This film depicts both the horror of WWII and the people left on the homefront trying to piece their lives together. The leading woman was excellent and her grief was truly heartbreaking. 9/10
Looking at how much you liked it - I recommend you check out Kalatozov's Letter Never Sent and Soy Cuba as well - all of these films are collaborations between the same director and DP. PTA stole the shot from Soy Cuba in Boogie Nights - from ground into the pool.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM
The Shining - 9/10

I think that aside from some pacing issues (I'll watch the shorter European cut one day which is supposedly Kubrick's preferred version) it's basically a perfect movie. The production design might be one of my all-time favourites.

Room 237 - 7/10

A good companion piece, but a little overlong and puts too much focus on some flat-out bad theories. The strongest thing about this is Rodney Ascher's presentation which, by relying almost entirely on compiling footage and extensively analyzing scenes in The Shining, feels as meticulously put together as the subjects' ideas.

Small Apartments - 5/10

Salvaged by its cast which approaches Southland Tales levels of randomness. Jonas Akerlund was never a top tier music video director like Gondry, Cunningham or Jonze, but he definitely had enough style to make him stand out. It just turns out that he really isn't cut out for movies (and if you've seen his output in recent years it looks like he's been going soft with age). He still has an obsession with stylizing people's hideous lifestyles, except this time there's an attempt to make an emotional finale. The problem is that Akerlund's style is so detached and artificial that it's impossible to emotionally connect with anyone. I'm thinking Akerlund should just stick to music videos and commercials from now on.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM

A Good Day to Die Hard(2013)-6/10
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 PM

6/10
Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Looking at how much you liked it - I recommend you check out Kalatozov's Letter Never Sent and Soy Cuba as well - all of these films are collaborations between the same director and DP. PTA stole the shot from Soy Cuba in Boogie Nights - from ground into the pool.
Thanks for the recommendations. I've added them to the very long list of movies I want to see. On to the final day of the Hulu Free Criterion Weekend.

F For Fake - This wasn't as good as I hoped. Most of the film was dull and full of double talk. The performances were good but I just didn't care about the stories. The final story about the Picasso forgeries was pretty good and helped to redeem the film somewhat. 5/10

Man Bites Dog - A Belgian mockumentary about a serial killer. This film got progressively darker as it went on. I liked how the crew went from being mere observers to taking part in their subject's psychotic way of life. The ending was a shock as well. 8/10

Through a Glass Darkly - This Bergman film is pretty bleak as you would probably expect. It's about a family going on vacation after the daughter has been released from an asylum. There are typical Bergman themes of God, death, and salvation. There is a glimmer of hope that the daughter may recover but it is never certain - the ambiguity makes for a better story. 8/10
Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 AM

Bulletproof Monk(2003)-6/10
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Wreck it Ralph 8.5/10
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
re watched The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad

8/10

this movie still makes me laugh a lot. remember when he asks that girl out he says 'I know this place. They make the best Viking food' what's Viking food? haha
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Beasts of the Southern Wild - 9/10
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
The Broadway Melody - A cliche ridden story from the early days of sound films. The performances weren't all that bad but it is definitely dated as well as being formulaic. 4/10

Wreck-It Ralph - There's some fun to be had in this story about a video game villain trying to fit in. John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman actually did a pretty good job in their voice roles. Sometimes the story got a little bit too silly (especially whenever Jack McBrayer's character was onscreen) but it was a solid film. 7/10
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Drag Me To Hell

This is how you do a horror movie, Sam Raimi kicks ass in this film. Directing wise.
Closed Thread