Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Ebay Bans The Sale Of Django Unchained Dolls

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertain...nchained-dolls

Geez l am glad they have done this it is terrible that this type of doll would be sold to children and the qestions they would ask

but then look in it a diffrent way l remember when l was little we had the Gollywog doll and it was black in colour but there was not aa uproar until years later
When a child plays with dolls they think of fantasy where other well adults think diffrently
But with the Django doll it promotes racism which this is what the film showeed about a freed negro man

Anyway l would like your opinion on this

As l think it was a good idea this type of thing was discontinued and why would a toy maker want to promote this type of thing

Alot of negro groups took a stand to this type of doll and l am proud they did and won but sometimes you might have a odd doll they have over looked but it is good Ebay has stopped this in its tracks
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM
While I agree that Django Unchained shouldn't be marketed towards children (I'm sure these 'dolls' were targetted towards older people, anyway, fans of Tarantino's work,) I fail to see how the dolls promote racism?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Well it was groups of negro groups who were offeded and well you cant blame them for wanting this gone
i do agree this doll wouldnt have been marketed for children to play with and they were maybe for adults as a collectors item
it is like action figures they can become colector items and can be worth alot of money in a few years time and waht l heard this movie was successful

it would have been the same for this doll and there were only 1,000 made so it will be worth alot in a few years with the people who bought them online

Last edited by Bondgirl; 01-24-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Geez l am glad they have done this it is terrible that this type of doll would be sold to children and the qestions they would ask
Quote:
i do agree this doll wouldnt have been marketed for children to play with and they were maybe for adults as a collectors item
So what is it. You think that these action figures were for all the kids who saw the movie and wanted to replay the movie or were these just like every other collectible Neca produces for adults who actually did see the movie?

The questions kids would ask if they got these toys would be: "What the fuck is this mom, you buy me an action figure from a movie I'm not allowed to see for the next ten years? You know I'd rather have one Hot Toys Iron man than the whole collection of Django Unchained dolls right? I actually saw Iron Man mom. I told you how much I liked it. He was the best part of The Avengers. But now I have to borrow a Barbie from my sister and play 'never let go Jack' over and over again in the bathtub. No wonder dad left us."
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 PM
I knew l would get a reply like this but forums are about debating and things

No l dont think that these dolls were totally aimed at children but from what l have heard on a another thread alot of kids see rated M movies like this and l wouldnt put it past that a parent would by one of these dolls for there child

I can not understand why even a adult would want a doll like this since the doll was about a man who was a slave but ended up being a freed man
I wonder why they would depict a doll like this when theses days things are diffrent and black people have the freedom they desearve

I feel that the black people had a right to say they didnt want thins or maybe a child would take this doll ifor show and tell and then say waht type of doll it is all it would cause is racecism

And that can easely start in this time and age with anything that can inflfueance it

yes there is alot of other action figures children and adults can choose which have more morals
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
I can not understand why even a adult would want a doll like this since the doll was about a man who was a slave but ended up being a freed man
I wonder why they would depict a doll like this when theses days things are diffrent and black people have the freedom they desearve
People want it because it's a movie character. It's not real. Why would someone want a Cobra Commander toy when he's the leader of a terrorist organization that wants to rule the world? It's not real. If you see someone with a Freddy Krueger tattoo you say "that's cool" and not "dude, that's a child molester on your arm".

Americans are just way too sensitive about slavery because it's their own history. Nobody cares when their son is playing with a 12" nazi from Indiana Jones. Nobody cared when Hot Toys released the Jew Hunter from Inglorious Basterds. "Oh no son, you can't play with Calvin Candie, that's wrong. Here play with Hans Landa and Karl Ruprecht Kroenen and their never ending quest on decimating people with big noses. Attaboy."
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Yes America is sensitive about this doll because it promotes racism and negros want to go forward instead of going backwards it was enough to get rid of the doll oh you keep repeating about the doll is not real well of cause it isn't they want to ban the doll so it doesn't cause problems
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Yes America is sensitive about this doll because it promotes racism and negros want to go forward instead of going backwards it was enough to get rid of the doll oh you keep repeating about the doll is not real well of cause it isn't they want to ban the doll so it doesn't cause problems
Again I don't think these dolls promote racism?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Wow, there's a lot of different directions being taken in this thread. I'll see if I can deal with each, one at a time.

Firstly, there's BG's assumption, which is the widely accepted mindset that figures of characters from certain franchises (movies, TV shows, video games, etc.) are exclusively for children and are always sold and marketed to children. This is the wrong approach to take, and sets you up to be upset for the wrong reasons. It's really an unfortunate social stigma that toys have. The video game industry has also wrestled with it for a long time, as have comic books and even TV in their times.

These are not dolls or toys; that's the first and biggest mistake that the writer of the article BG linked and every parent getting upset over this are making. These are figures, and I don't mean like action figures. These are very well-crafted and highly detailed art pieces (almost like mini-statuettes). Taking a good look at these figures, I'd say that these were definitely not made for selling to children. Also, if anyone bothered to research the figures, you'd know that they were a whopping $200US each! Not only that, they also made only 1,000 of these figures; so let's not panic about them getting into the hands of every child. It's not even widespread.

But for the sake of argument, let's just play out what parents afraid of, just to put it out there: I ask BG and all parents on this forum, would you seriously buy a $200US figure for your child to play with, knowing the amount of wear and tear your child will put it through only to forget about it months later? It doesn't seem like smart budgeting for your child's entertainment. I'm not a parent, but if I was, I'd find something else for my child to play with that would definitely last a lot longer for $200US, like a game console or something educational. Then again, I'd be a good parent and do some active parenting in my own home. I wouldn't be organizing a group to protest and decry a product, making the manufacturer stop, making the collectors and Tarantino fans suffer.

Considering all that, if you still think that kids (the ones you're so concerned will play with them) are going to get their hands on the figures (and all that other stuff like "asking questions" and being indoctrinated with racism), then you should be ashamed of yourself as a parent because you're openly admitting that you lack the ability to take control of your own child's development and raise them to know what's right. You're saying that society should change to accommodate and facilitate the circumstances for you because you have failed to do so yourself.

I won't even go into the psychology that parents are projecting, which really gives their dumb kids more credit than they deserve. No one is going to "ask questions" or become racist by osmosis by having these figures. There's absolutely no promotion of racism going on, just morons having knee-jerk overreactions to the very utterance of the word "nigger" without caring about the context in which it was used. As Americans, they are well within their rights to protest and do what they have; just as I'm well within my own rights to think and say that what they did was a sign of their absolute and utter retardation and that they shouldn't have done it at all. Come on, guys, don't be stupid.

I'm with Herald. These are fictional characters, this story didn't take place. The context in which it took place, on the other hand, was very much in existence. It's a low point in American history, and it's one thing that Americans overall are really uncomfortable dealing with and addressing. They'd rather not, which is another factor in their protest. Try as they might, they have to face the fact. They don't have to like it, but they have to face it.

I'm with Hucksta G. Please tell us, BG. How exactly do the dolls promote racism? How does that process take place?

TL;DR - They're not toys/dolls, they're $200US figures. They don't promote racism. To worry about children becoming racist because of these is to embarrass yourself and admit failure as a parent.

One last thing. I said it in the "violence in video games" thread, but it applies just as much here. A lot of things can be taken care of if parents would actually be parents and TALK to their kid. Set them straight. Tell them how horrible racism is instead of worrying that they'll become racists. You're their mother/father; you have the power to put a stop to that.

Last edited by Exophrine; 01-27-2013 at 11:50 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Okay l just want applaud you on everything you have said and you know what l am not going to go into any detail because l feel l will leave it, to you guys or else there will be fights l came on the non movie to starts thread or to post in them. So what l have,started here and other threads to continue so yes just ignore and keep up with,the discussion it is going well