Old 08-07-2010, 06:20 PM
The Avengers vs Batman 3

Which one are you more excited about? Which one will make more at the box office?

My choice is the third Batman film.

Last edited by echo_bravo; 08-07-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Old 08-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm actually looking forward to Step Up 4 the world.

It could rock the house.

No but Batman 3 I guess.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:47 PM
The Avengers have always pissed me off simply because I can only suspend my disbelief for one universe at a time. Putting these multiverses together has antagonised me for years - particularly the inclusion of Thor, one of the dumbest creations Marvel has ever concocted.

Batman the Third, however, has the chance to create a legendary trilogy that can take a place beside Star Wars and (begrudgingly) Lord of the Rings.

So, yah, Step Up 4.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Gonna go with Bats.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Hmm, Christopher Nolan or Joss Whedon?

Christopher Nolan by far!!!!!!

Batman 3 easily!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Is this even a competition? We have the follow-up to the best comic book movie ever made, and which will inevitably become one of the best movie trilogies of all-time, versus an assembly of overcrowded characters and quite possibly a half-ass story. But I am excited to see both, but we already know which one is going to make more money .
Old 08-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Is this even a competition? We have the follow-up to the best comic book movie ever made, and which will inevitably become one of the best movie trilogies of all-time, versus an assembly of overcrowded characters and quite possibly a half-ass story. But I am excited to see both, but we already know which one is going to make more money .
I agree with your Avengers assessment. Truth be told while I am interested in the Avengers, I'm actually much more invested in learning about Batman 3.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 AM
I'd rather watch the trailer to Batman 3 than the Avengers movie itself.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 AM
I LOVE Joss Whedon more than anything. However, even I can't help but feel a little anxious about the potential clustercuss that is The Avengers. It's hard enough to make big ensemble dramas that balance the action between a number of characters. So imagine how hard it's going to be to make a big ensemble ACTION FILM, where everyone needs to get equal time but also to move the plot along and participate in action scenes. The only superhero film that has succeeded in achieving this balance so far is X2. So again, as much as I love Joss and have faith in him... I'm still not entirely sold on the Avengers. It has too much potential to be a disaster.

The third Nolan Batman film, on the other hand, has all the potential in the world to be completely AWESOME. Despite the recent backlash he's been getting from snarky sensationalists who love going against the flow and raining on everybody's parade, I still think that Nolan is one of the most capable mainstream blockbuster directors working today, Probably THE most capable one, and if the third Batman film is HALF as good as The Dark Knight, it'll still be really great. In short, Batman all the way. He's a much more interesting superhero than any of those in The Avengers anyway!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Which one are you more excited about? Which one will make more at the box office?

My choice is the third Batman film.
The answer to both is Batman 3.

Why? Based on its proven track record. Both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight did very well at the box office and were excellent films. Given that the same people are involved (especially Nolan, who has yet to make a bad film), I have every reason to believe number three will also rock. The Avengers, on the other hand, is an unknown entity by comparison.

I can easily see Batman 3 breaking opening day/weekend records.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm really looking forward to both but I'm for sure more excited about Batman 3. I'm just more intrigued to see where Nolan will take the story with Batman 3 than I am with The Avengers story line.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Oh Batman 3 for sure. I'm looking forward to the announcement of the villain/casting/trailer of that movie more than I am The Avengers.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Batman
Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
I'd rather watch the trailer to Batman 3 than the Avengers movie itself.
Nice.

I agree with pretty much every post in this forum. Batman 3 is already in my top 20 of all time
Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I have no interest in The Avengers. I think Batman 3 will probably be a mess, but I'll definitely see it and it may be good.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Batman 3 may end up being a mess, but The Avengers WILL be a mess.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 PM
The only reason I'm even remotely looking forward to The Avengers is Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. Other than that, nothing excites me about the movie.

The third Batman movie, on the other hand, has so much going for it. The first two movies were awesome, Christopher Nolan has not gone wrong with a movie yet, and the cast - like it was for the previous two movies - have been awesome. So much to look forward to with this one.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Batman 3.

Batman is the most popular comic character out there, and has been for decades, so of course he'll be everyone's #1 choice. Also having a popular director like Nolan directing doesn't hurt either.

The only thing that has me excited for The Avengers is Joss Whedon. I think if anyone out there could make this movie really work it'll be him.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 PM
i guess i'm the only one here who's looking more forward to the avengers due to the fact that i prefer marvel to dc and found dark knight to be very overrated but still a good movie.Also how could you not be looking more forward to the avengers,it got almost every marvel superhero almost plus it will definitely make more money opening week and total bet on it.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Batman.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Batman 3 I'm all about quality over quanity. I'm not saying the Avengers will be bad just the Batman 3 will blow everyone away.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathw1shzero View Post
i guess i'm the only one here who's looking more forward to the avengers due to the fact that i prefer marvel to dc and found dark knight to be very overrated but still a good movie.Also how could you not be looking more forward to the avengers,it got almost every marvel superhero almost plus it will definitely make more money opening week and total bet on it.
The Avengers features an abundance of characters that no one has any knowledge of actually being interesting and cool on the big screen besides Iron Man, Black Widow, and Nick Fury. No one knows how Thor or Captain America is going to perform at the box-office, and Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk doesn't help the film either. Just because a film has a heavy amount of Marvel characters doesn't necessarily mean the film will be good, both Spider-Man 3 and X3 tried pleasing the fans with the addition of multiple characters but look how that went. Batman 3 has the same cast and crew from the very start, Nolan's track record is impeccable, and I can guarantee Batman 3 is going to be a better made film and have a more emotional and powerful story. Oh, and for the record, Batman 3 is going to make more money than The Avengers.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 AM
haha,really..Batman 3 will be better and make way more money at the box office than The Avengers
Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Yes, I'll join the majority and say I'm much more looking forward to the next Batman movie than the Avengers movie. I will end up seeing both, but somehow I doubt that a truly good movie is even possible to make out of the Avengers. It's just too many characters. At best, it will be an entertaining celebration of the Marvel characters. I just don't see it having much else going for it, namely a substantive plot or character development.

Plus, I'll put it this way: they apparently had a huge Avengers table at Comic-Con a few weeks ago where they made new casting announcements and had everyone on stage. To me, that was not half as exciting as the simple rumor that the Riddler will be in Batman 3, without any official confirmation of either character or casting.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:44 AM
I'd say they're about even in my book, but I'm siding with the Avengers. Batman 3 may turn out to be a better film, but I can almost guarantee that the Avengers will be more fun to watch. I enjoyed the Dark Knight as much as the next guy upon release, but it's hard to sit through without wanting to skip to the Joker's scenes. There's too many scenes of the characters talking about the theme of the movie for my taste. It gets redundant.

The reason I'm more interested in the Avengers is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Nf-m6WGl4

Now I know that's the Justice League, but I know that somebody like Whedon saw that and was impressed. That little trailer has better directed action scenes than what most directors are doing today. If Whedon can capture any of that in the Avengers, I can guarantee it'll be one hell of good time. We haven't seen anything on that scale in a superhero film. The closest thing we've had was X-Men: The Last Stand and that was done as cheaply as possible without the scope this little trailer has.

What I want out of an Avengers movie are two things: great action scenes and funny moments where the team conflict with each other because of their egos. I want the team to fuck up and not get it right until the end. I think Whedon can do that. I think he can drag the Avengers through the mud in a fun way.

The problem I foresee with Batman 3 is that Nolan already set the bar for himself. There's a glass ceiling. He's already had the Joker. Who's going to top him? The Riddler? You have to be kidding if you think I'm going to get that excited about him. He's about as lame as the Penguin. Everyone knows that the next best villain after the Joker was Two-Face and Nolan already shot himself in the foot by wasting him in the Dark Knight as a side attraction. His obsession with theme screwed with his own ambitions for the series. Two Face was rushed where he could have been integral to the next chapter. He got too hopped up on the Joker to realize what he had with Two-Face. Nolan got Joker fever.

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 08-20-2010 at 04:55 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
The problem I foresee with Batman 3 is that Nolan already set the bar for himself. There's a glass ceiling. He's already had the Joker. Who's going to top him? The Riddler? You have to be kidding if you think I'm going to get that excited about him. He's about as lame as the Penguin. Everyone knows that the next best villain after the Joker was Two-Face and Nolan already shot himself in the foot by wasting him in the Dark Knight as a side attraction. His obsession with theme screwed with his own ambitions for the series. Two Face was rushed where he could have been integral to the next chapter. He got too hopped up on the Joker to realize what he had with Two-Face. Nolan got Joker fever.
I disagree with you that Two-Face was wasted, as I think they did a good job with the character. I do, however, agree that it still felt a bit rushed (yes, it is possible for something to be rushed and still be good). I was thinking when I first saw TDK that they were going to set up Two-Face in that film to be the main villain in the third one, and was quite surprised when they completely ended the Two-Face character arc in that one. Honestly, I can't really say for sure if it was the better choice, as a third movie entirely centered around Two-Face might have seemed a bit redundant (as in focusing on many of the same themes in TDK), but still, I'll at least concede that Two-Face is indeed the second most interesting (no pun intended) villain in the Batman franchise, and you are definitely right that he was very much secondary (maybe pun intended) to the Joker in TDK.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Nolan definitely knows how to raise the bar because to some fans, Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight. The villain matters, but what matters the most is the story Nolan decides to conclude with his last Batman entry. Another thing, Nolan might plan out where Batman would end up but I'm sure he didn't know which villains he'd use in particular. Harvey Dent/Two-Face was the backbone of The Dark Knight, he definitely wasn't wasted due to his role throughout the entire film. I'm glad Nolan killed him off at the end because the Two-Face Nolan created was fueled by revenge. He wouldn't return in the next film trying to take control of the mafia and causing mischief in Gotham, it completely neglects the character's principles from the confines Nolan set him within. Plus, how threating could Two-Face actually be? The Riddler is a more dangerous man than Two-Face.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Nolan definitely knows how to raise the bar because to some fans, Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight. The villain matters, but what matters the most is the story Nolan decides to conclude with his last Batman entry. Another thing, Nolan might plan out where Batman would end up but I'm sure he didn't know which villains he'd use in particular. Harvey Dent/Two-Face was the backbone of The Dark Knight, he definitely wasn't wasted due to his role throughout the entire film. I'm glad Nolan killed him off at the end because the Two-Face Nolan created was fueled by revenge. He wouldn't return in the next film trying to take control of the mafia and causing mischief in Gotham, it completely neglects the character's principles from the confines Nolan set him within. Plus, how threating could Two-Face actually be? The Riddler is a more dangerous man than Two-Face.
See, what you wrote highlights my issues with Two-Face in Nolan's movie. It limited him to just being a creation of the Joker and a mouthpiece for the theme of the movie. He didn't get to be the Two-Face I know and love. Nolan had a great character at his disposal, but he used him only to make a point... not to establish a great villain.

The thing about Batman is that the villain is the story. And sadly, Two-Face will always be better and more dangerous than the Riddler and most other villains Nolan is currently deep sea fishing for. So no matter how complex he makes the Riddler's plot to bring down Gotham or Wayne Corp, it still won't have the emotional potential that Two-Face has.

Nolan probably had his story arc planned out with the Joker and that obviously can't happen. But if he didn't have Joker fever, he could have realized the next best villain was Two-Face. Two-Face is a much more dangerous villain than the Riddler even in Nolan's universe. Think about it, Batman was so worried about Gotham finding out that Harvey went bad. Well, what if the city did find out? That could have already raised the stakes for the next one. Nolan always alludes to Gotham City going to ruins. And that's the one place the story arc should go to. The question shouldn't be, "Can Batman save Gotham before it's destroyed?" It should be, "Can Batman save the city after it has gone to hell?"

I don't know. A third Batman is more of an uphill battle I feel than an Avengers movie. An Avengers isn't meant to be a dark, brooding experience. It's the opposite of that. And I know Whedon can do that well enough. But a third Batman movie trying to outdo its predecessors with a third tier villain? That's even tougher.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:49 AM
Quote:
I don't know. A third Batman is more of an uphill battle I feel than an Avengers movie. An Avengers isn't meant to be a dark, brooding experience. It's the opposite of that. And I know Whedon can do that well enough. But a third Batman movie trying to outdo its predecessors with a third tier villain? That's even tougher.
I think when all is said and done I'm certain the Avengers will be the more appealing movie while the third Batman movie will be something of much more substance and staying power. The first Two Batman movies have been quite memorable and stayed around for a long time, and I'm convinced the third one will too even in the face of the Avengers.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
See, what you wrote highlights my issues with Two-Face in Nolan's movie. It limited him to just being a creation of the Joker and a mouthpiece for the theme of the movie. He didn't get to be the Two-Face I know and love. Nolan had a great character at his disposal, but he used him only to make a point... not to establish a great villain.

The thing about Batman is that the villain is the story. And sadly, Two-Face will always be better and more dangerous than the Riddler and most other villains Nolan is currently deep sea fishing for. So no matter how complex he makes the Riddler's plot to bring down Gotham or Wayne Corp, it still won't have the emotional potential that Two-Face has.

Nolan probably had his story arc planned out with the Joker and that obviously can't happen. But if he didn't have Joker fever, he could have realized the next best villain was Two-Face. Two-Face is a much more dangerous villain than the Riddler even in Nolan's universe. Think about it, Batman was so worried about Gotham finding out that Harvey went bad. Well, what if the city did find out? That could have already raised the stakes for the next one. Nolan always alludes to Gotham City going to ruins. And that's the one place the story arc should go to. The question shouldn't be, "Can Batman save Gotham before it's destroyed?" It should be, "Can Batman save the city after it has gone to hell?"

I see what you're saying, but I still don't think Nolan used Two-Face solely as a plot device to continue the pacing the story. True, Two-Face is the most emotional villain Batman would have ever faced, and now that he's gone that part of the story is now ended.

But each Batman entry Nolan has made, even those it's only been two, was different from the previous--especially when it comes to lighting and overall scope. Batman 3 has to feel bigger than The Dark Knight, the plot has to be even more personal this time, and the conclusion has to be even more emotional. The villains don't make these movies, the Joker is just a villain that will always steal ever scene he's in. That's what makes Batman one of the greatest superheroes, his rogue gallery is filled with such a diverse class of criminal.

I have faith that Nolan hasn't shot himself in the foot by killing Two-Face and putting Batman in a hole. And I will even bet that Batman 3 will probably be the greatest of the three, and make more money than that of The Avengers.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:26 PM

I definitely have more faith in Batman 3 being better than the fucking Avengers. For one thing, you KNOW Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury won't be in Batman, so that's already a plus. I trust Nolan will deliver. I see Avengers being a big mess.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:58 AM
I just cant bet againist Nolan. The man is money in the bank. And I think he is just gonna make the best film he can make (and wont have the mentality of trying to outdue the Dark Knight). Nolan is so good at crafting the endings to his films, which is what I am looking foward to the most is what the ending is gonna be like for Batman 3.

If the third Batman mops the floor at the box office and leaves The Avengers in the dust, I hope Downey doesnt fall off the wagon again lol. In 2008, TDK stole all of Iron Man's thunder and this year Inception is getting all the critical praise while IM2 is sorta looked as a disappointing sequel. In 2012, Nolan's film may overshadow Downey for the third time.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 AM
i just wanted to bring this topic back to show that i was right all along,damn it feels good to be right,well sometimes and in this case im glad i was right damn straight
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 AM
In your opinion. But personally, I definitely think TDKR was the superior movie.

The Dark Knight Rises: 10/10
The Avengers: 8/10
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
In your opinion. But personally, I definitely think TDKR was the superior movie.

The Dark Knight Rises: 10/10
The Avengers: 8/10
Agree
Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Avengers doesn't have the replay value that TDKR does. After three or views of it, I no longer felt the need to watch it ever again.

I stick to it. The Dark Knight Rises is way better.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathw1shzero View Post
i just wanted to bring this topic back to show that i was right all along,damn it feels good to be right,well sometimes and in this case im glad i was right damn straight
That you were... that you were.

The Avengers is simply a superb movie in every way that matters. It perfectly paid off the other five films Marvel led in to it with. Most are calling it an instant classic and the best superhero film ever made. I'm certainly not going to argue that factor.

TDKR on the other hand wasn't a bad film but it certainly had some flaws. It coasted of a better second film and really is considered a disappointment by non-fanboy community standards. A solid film but not in the same league as Avengers.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 AM
Both have the same ratings on RT, TDKR has a much higher IMDB rating and the Avengers has one minor oscar nomination. Both have their fanboys (or whatever you call them). I would guess the overall consensus is at the very least equal or slightly leaning toward TDKR. If its your personal opinion what is better then that's different.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:03 AM
I loved The Dark Knight Rises when it first came out but felt it had pacing issues that kept it from being a masterpiece. But when the movie came out in Blu-Ray, I watched it over and over again and no longer feel like the movie has pacing issues. The movie may contain some holes in the story, but that hardly matters to me. I would still call the movie a masterpiece and it's actually become a real favorite of mine.

The Avengers is a lot of fun. I love it. But I definitely don't feel that it is in the same league as TDKR. Although I will say that NYC final battle is a tour de force of an action scene. Still, The Dark Knight Rises is better in every single way. So much more emotionally satisfying as well as viscerally. The acting in The Avengers is incredibly solid. But I think TDKR contains the best ensemble of the year.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I loved Batman Begins and TDK, but TDKR was just so disappointing to me. Maybe because I'm a Batman fan, and TDKR just completely deviates from everything I love about the character. That combined with all of the in-your-face plot holes, and illogical motivation from characters, it was hard for me to take this movie as serious as it needed to be taken. I felt completely disconnected from the story & characters, and the finale was a very mediocre payoff for such a long drawn out buildup (the battle between the cops and criminals was interesting, too bad it last only a few seconds, while the film focused more on the boring case scene).

In the end I give it 5/10

The Avengers to me was just pure fun. Pure fun on the level of Ghostbusters. Like Ghostbusters, it doesn't take itself dead serious, it was filled with effective humor, it had its share drama, and the action was entertaining as hell. I found myself caring for every character, and simply enjoyed every moment they were on screen. This film also succeeded at bringing the comics to life, which is really what I want from a comic book movie. The characters truly felt like their comic book counterparts.

I also want to point out that every film has its share of plot holes, this one does too, but I had so much fun with The Avengers I was never bored enough to pick at the plot holes. In fact most of the plot holes were only brought to my attention by the internet. To me that's one thing that separates a good movie from a bad one. If you watch a film and you're so involved with the story & characters that you are not paying attention to the logistics of the film, then that was a good film that succeeded at telling its story.

I give it a 9/10

Last edited by Silverload; 02-12-2013 at 11:26 AM..