Old 02-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Russell Crowe backs Hugh Jackman For Oscar

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshom...man-for-oscar/

Well from this link Russell thinks that hugh should get ewwarded with a oscar for his performance on Les Misseriables

Hugh is up against Danial Day Lewis so his pretrayal of this past president would be hard to beat

But Crowe thinks that Hughs role in Les Miseriables was more diffiicult that Danial day lewis's role

So the qestion has to be asked some of the members here have seen both movies so which one would you choose to pick if you were given voting powers

Russell thinks Hugh should win but who do you think that should get the oscar when the time comes
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
These australian articles always give me a laugh. When one of their own actors are up for an Oscar, they are always convinced they're going to win, even if it's usually far from the truth.

While they acknowledge Day Lewis is the frontrunner, Jackman is 2nd? His performanc was the worst reviewed of the lineup. He was lucky to get the nomination.

I'd say Cooper is the distant 2nd, considering the love for his movie.

I'm not doubting the difficulty of the role, but his performances has gotten a divisive response. That's not the case with the others.

BTW, I think maybe this would have been more appropriate for the Oscars thread in the General section.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 02-01-2013 at 11:50 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 02:19 AM
I think Denzel Washington is the best of the bunch, but I do agree with Crowe about Jackman over Day-Lewis. Lincoln felt less like a real character and more like a historical quote generating gravitas machine.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I think Denzel Washington is the best of the bunch, but I do agree with Crowe about Jackman over Day-Lewis. Lincoln felt less like a real character and more like a historical quote generating gravitas machine.
I fell similarly, save the Denzel bit. I think Jackson's performance was fine, better than fine really. Day-Lewis's performance was equally fine, but in a far less demanding role. Lincoln was such an uninteresting character to me (as a European) the movie just missed me completely. On some level it just seems like an historical flick done about Americans is going to garner this buried patriotism to support whatever it may be. I don't honestly think any of the men nominated this year are truly deserving (at least in these roles), maybe Cooper but that still feels wrong.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
These australian articles always give me a laugh. When one of their own actors are up for an Oscar, they are always convinced they're going to win, even if it's usually far from the truth.

While they acknowledge Day Lewis is the frontrunner, Jackman is 2nd? His performanc was the worst reviewed of the lineup. He was lucky to get the nomination.

I'd say Cooper is the distant 2nd, considering the love for his movie.

I'm not doubting the difficulty of the role, but his performances has gotten a divisive response. That's not the case with the others.

BTW, I think maybe this would have been more appropriate for the Oscars thread in the General section.
Well if this should have been in the General movie section maybe at some time Joblo can move it there

i wasnt sure where to put it but l think l would prefer it over in that area

yes alot of aussie actors want to win a oscar in America and well l have to say Hugh Jackman deseaves it with his role and it does pretray a very difficult role

But then Americans might want to have Danial lewis to win because he was pretraying a past president and politics is a huge thing in America
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
I fell similarly, save the Denzel bit. I think Jackson's performance was fine, better than fine really. Day-Lewis's performance was equally fine, but in a far less demanding role. Lincoln was such an uninteresting character to me (as a European) the movie just missed me completely. On some level it just seems like an historical flick done about Americans is going to garner this buried patriotism to support whatever it may be. I don't honestly think any of the men nominated this year are truly deserving (at least in these roles), maybe Cooper but that still feels wrong.

Joaquin Phoenix???
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well if this should have been in the General movie section maybe at some time Joblo can move it there

i wasnt sure where to put it but l think l would prefer it over in that area

yes alot of aussie actors want to win a oscar in America and well l have to say Hugh Jackman deseaves it with his role and it does pretray a very difficult role

But then Americans might want to have Danial lewis to win because he was pretraying a past president and politics is a huge thing in America
I like Hugh Jackman and I think if Les Miz had been been better received overall, and was the frontrunner to win Best Picture, then he probably would have won along with it, kinda like Jean Dujardin last year with The Artist.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:14 AM
Daniel Day Lewis was amazing in Lincoln. While I haven't seen My Left Foot or The Age of Innocence or In the Name of the Father and a few other of his movies, of his movies that I have seen, Lincoln was definitely his best performance. Better than his work in There Will Be Blood, better than Gangs of New York. It may be THE performance of the decade, or certainly in the top 3.

I haven't seen Les Mis yet, I think it looks great though. But no way will Jackman beat DDL at the Oscars.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Yeah Jackman's is my least favourite of the nominees, though I haven't seen Flight.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Give it to Daniel Day-Lewis.
His profile looked like a big giant penny.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Of course Russell Crowe is backing Hugh Jackman. Who else would he back? Especially since Hugh Jackman's performance was the weakest of the nominees.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I thought that Jackman was amazing in Les Miz and is completely deserving of his nomination (I'd actually rank him third after Phoenix and Day-Lewis).

No surprise that Crowe is supporting him for the win, as unlikely as it is. But it was a brilliant performance and I think that all the praise is warranted (and this is coming from someone who didn't even like the movie all that much).
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Where Hathaway is receiving most of the share of praise, I'd say Jackman moved me just as much, if not more. You could definitely hear some sniffling from the crowd during his final scene. No chance in hell that he wins.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
Of course Russell Crowe is backing Hugh Jackman. Who else would he back? Especially since Hugh Jackman's performance was the weakest of the nominees.
i wouldnt consider Hugh jackmans role in Les Misables as terrible
I have to say he is a great singer ineatre and also a great actor in film
I feel if you put Danial day Lewis and Huge in the same movie l bet Hugh jackman would come on top

I feel they would be picking Danail because he is pretraying a past president and everything in America is about politics these days

But hen l could be wrong and you never know Hugh jackman might win
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
i wouldnt consider Hugh jackmans role in Les Misables as terrible
I have to say he is a great singer ineatre and also a great actor in film
I feel if you put Danial day Lewis and Huge in the same movie l bet Hugh jackman would come on top

I feel they would be picking Danail because he is pretraying a past president and everything in America is about politics these days

But hen l could be wrong and you never know Hugh jackman might win
Are you familiar with any of Day Lewis' work pre-Lincoln? He is pretty damn good in everything (though I haven't seen Nine) past-president or not.

I'm quite a fan of Jackman's work, particualrly his performance in The Fountain, but he isn't in the same league as Day-Lewis for me....though this year at the Oscars I'd personally like tos ee Phoenix win, but that's not going to happen.

Last edited by Hucksta G; 02-04-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Are you familiar with any of Day Lewis' work pre-Lincoln? He is pretty damn good in everything (though I haven't seen Nine) past-president or not.
Day-Lewis actually got some pretty bad reviews for Nine, so I don't think you need to put it on your must-see list, unless you're a Daniel Day-Lewis completist.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 AM
Well, I'm backing my boy Joaquin Phoenix.

Freddie Quell was hands down my favorite character of 2012
Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Day-Lewis actually got some pretty bad reviews for Nine, so I don't think you need to put it on your must-see list, unless you're a Daniel Day-Lewis completist.
It may not be on the same level as his work in Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood or Lincoln, but he's still great in that movie. And I actually would rank it a head of The Last of the Mohicans and The Crucible as far as DDL's performances performances. The movie in general is incredibly underrated. Although, the wrong supporting performance from that movie was nominated. Penelope Cruz was nominated but it should have been Marion Cotilard instead.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Well, I'm backing my boy Joaquin Phoenix.

Freddie Quell was hands down my favorite character of 2012
Likewise.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm curious to hear if there are other actors backing Jackman for Best Actor, preferably actors who had nothing to do with Lez Miz.

I'm actually always interested to hear actors talking about what their favorite movies and performances were. They used to ask that question when interviewing Oscar contenders in Variety.