Old 12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
DJANGO UNCHAINED in the Tarantino Universe

So as we all know, Tarantino's films all belong in an alternate universe that occurs when the Basterds kill Adolf Hitler in Inglourious Basterds. Donny "The Bear Jew" Donowitz (Eli Roth) has a son named Lee Donowitz (Saul Rubinek), who is in True Romance. In that film, Patricia Arquette plays Alabama Whitman, a woman who is mentioned by Mr. White in Reservoir Dogs. And in Reservoir Dogs, Vic Vega a.k.a. Mr. Blonde (Michael Madsen) is brothers with Vincent Vega (John Travolta) in Pulp Fiction.

Further more, Red Apple cigarettes are first shown in Pulp Fiction and make appearances in From Dusk Till Dawn, Four Rooms, and both Kill Bill films (I also feel like Kill Bill is a perverse version of Fox Force Five, the pilot that Uma Thurman's Mia Wallace starred in in Pulp Fiction, but that's unsubstantiated). Big Kahuna Burger, first officially introduced in Pulp Fiction, makes appearances in the earlier Reservoir Dogs as well as From Dusk Till Dawn and Four Rooms.

So my question is, how does Django Unchained connect to the universe? Has anyone found any links between the films? In this interview, Tarantino said the connection was very minor.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM
What about Tim Roth being in both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction? Or Samuel L. Jackson in both Jackie Brown and Django Unchained (he wasn't in Kill Bill clearly enough to count)? Maybe the DU character is the JB's character's great-great-great-great-great grandfather?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Big Kahuna Burger is also mentioned in Death Proof.

Django is definitely in the same universe as Inglourious Basterds, so there won't be any product mentions like Red Apples or Big Kahuna Burger but a descendant or two yeah. He says that there is such a descendant in Django, and that the character is very minor so it will be interesting to find out who that is.

My guess would be that one of the mandigo fighters is someone's ancestor. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking it's a black character and not a white character that makes the universe connection.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM
This was mentioned by someone in the chat room. Dr. King Shultz has the same last name as Paula Shultz, which is the name on the tombstone that Bud buried the Bride in in Kill Bill Vol 2
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Not a relation, but I thought it was funny how Schultz and Budd both overfill their drink glasses.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
This was mentioned by someone in the chat room. Dr. King Shultz has the same last name as Paula Shultz, which is the name on the tombstone that Bud buried the Bride in in Kill Bill Vol 2
Interesting. Could just be coincidence though. Dr. King Schultz seems too big of a character to be the person Tarantino is suggesting.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
Interesting. Could just be coincidence though. Dr. King Schultz seems too big of a character to be the person Tarantino is suggesting.
I overlooked the fact he said little character. In that case, Michael parks character was probably a descendant of Earl mcGraw
Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
I overlooked the fact he said little character. In that case, Michael parks character was probably a descendant of Earl mcGraw
Just cause Michael Parks played both of them?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:40 AM
I think I found it.

At around 2:13:00, the middle of the gunfight at Candyland, one of the gunmen shooting at Django yells out, "Ain't no n----- gonna kill Maynard!" More than likely he's the great great (maybe a couple more greats in here somewhere) of Maynard the Pawn Shop guy in Pulp Fiction.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 AM
I've read that QT revealed at Comic-Con that Broomhilda's last name is von Shaft and that her and Django are the ancestors of John Shaft.

Don't know the accuracy of this since I didn't go to Comic-Con.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw1983@gmail.com View Post
At around 2:13:00, the middle of the gunfight at Candyland, one of the gunmen shooting at Django yells out, "Ain't no n----- gonna kill Maynard!" More than likely he's the great great (maybe a couple more greats in here somewhere) of Maynard the Pawn Shop guy in Pulp Fiction.
I'd say that's a bingo.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Just found this on another site:

But I'd say the Maynard connection might do as well. Both would be very minor indeed.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Know what's kinda funny? QT probably started this whole thing in his scripts, with the names (Alabama, Bonnie, Vega etc.) because he couldn't think of any better names at those moments. And now that's part of a "universe". I dunno, it's kinda funny.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Know what's kinda funny? QT probably started this whole thing in his scripts, with the names (Alabama, Bonnie, Vega etc.) because he couldn't think of any better names at those moments. And now that's part of a "universe". I dunno, it's kinda funny.
I know, right? And when I tell the doctors John, Jim, and Amy are part of my Universe they always shake their heads. It's unfair.