Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Best of Brad Pitt?

Did anyone else see that brad pitt bracket on the Facebook page for his new one Killing Them Softly? They are down to only a few left, but are facing off his best movies until there is a winner. It sucks that Oceans 11 got knocked out early, but I really hope Seven and Fight Club have to go head to head
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Yeah I've been following it as well.

Pitt is one of my all time favorites and some of his films really got me into being a movie buff.

If I had to rank his roles I'd go

1. Fight Club (no one else could of played Tyler Durden...no one)
2. Seven (he mastered the cocky rookie detective to the tee)
3. Assassination of Jesse James (intimidating & cold blooded)
4. Twelve Monkeys
5. Babel
6. Inglorious Bastards (I wish his part was bigger though)
7. Kalifornia (played a great psychopath)
Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 PM
His best performance is in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, he's really excellent in that movie. His performance in Se7en is average, but it's one of my favorite movies and I enjoy him in that despite some iffy moments from Brad.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Love him in Fight Club, Se7en, and 12 Monkeys. Also, enjoy him in Kalifornia.

My top 2 for Pitt are Benjamin Button & Jesse James.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
His best performance is in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, he's really excellent in that movie. His performance in Se7en is average, but it's one of my favorite movies and I enjoy him in that despite some iffy moments from Brad.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I'd say it's better than average (I actually think his immaturity as an actor at that point is part of what makes the performance pretty great), but I kind of get what you're saying. He's really matured and improved as an actor over time. That can't be said of a lot of actors. Some are just as good as they will ever be once they have their first few big movies, and some will get worse over time. Brad is one of those guys who just seems to get better and better as time goes on. He also has pretty incredible range. He can go from serious (Jesse James, Tree of Life) to hilarious (Burn After Reading) to a bit of both (Moneyball) to slick/cool (Fight Club, Se7en). He's really one of the best out there.

Here is my ranking of his roles:

1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2. Fight Club
3. The Tree of Life
4. Moneyball
5. Se7en
6. Burn After Reading
7. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
8. Twelve Monkeys
9. True Romance
10. Inglourious Basterds
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Totally forgot about the Tree of Life.
Great call right there Bourne. Easily one of his best performances.

ANd his role in True Romance may be one of the greatest of ALL TIME.

Last edited by echo_bravo; 09-26-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM
01. The Tree of Life
02. Fight Club
03. Inglourious Basterds
04. Moneyball
05. Snatch

I still haven't seen 12 Monkeys or The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford, both of which he's supposedly great in.

Last edited by magjournal; 12-23-2012 at 11:11 PM..
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Haha, great scene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I'd say it's better than average (I actually think his immaturity as an actor at that point is part of what makes the performance pretty great), but I kind of get what you're saying. He's really matured and improved as an actor over time. That can't be said of a lot of actors. Some are just as good as they will ever be once they have their first few big movies, and some will get worse over time. Brad is one of those guys who just seems to get better and better as time goes on. He also has pretty incredible range. He can go from serious (Jesse James, Tree of Life) to hilarious (Burn After Reading) to a bit of both (Moneyball) to slick/cool (Fight Club, Se7en). He's really one of the best out there.
Yeah, I mean it's not a bad performance by any means, and I agree that in some ways the flaws in the performance work for the character, but a few of his lines sound more like line reading and less like natural conversation. I like Brad Pitt a lot, honorable mention for his performance in 12 Monkeys, very entertaining.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 AM
he was great in Moneyball and Babel but what about Snatch? he was great in that too. I had to turn on the subtitles just to understand what he was saying haha

seven and fight club are two of my favorite movies.

he was also great as that mental patient in 12 monkeys
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Damn, forgot about Snatch!

Really, I've never come across a Brad Pitt role or movie that I hated.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM
All the movies that are still an option to vote for are awesome, and I feel like they are all very different roles for him... I guess they have moved on to voting between Se7en and Snatch now. I think its an obvious choice, but I am looking forward to seeing what comes of it and what ends up being the top 2.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:55 PM
12 Monkeys is my most memorable ... he was bat shit insane in that one.

and Snatch .... whassasezmefhace dhontecesmautherbawdtheeng *BAM* ... priceless. Honestly , i find the Dolan meme funny because of Brad Pitt in Snatch lol.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM
ah shit can't believe I forgot about Snatch, he was hilarious in that.

Can't wait for Killing them Softly!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:09 PM
I love Brad in the Ocean's movies. Just fun and he's perfect for his part.

Thought he was fantastic in Seven, even if the movie left me depressed for weeks.

Loved him in Inglourious Basterds.

Like him in everything he does, but I didn't get 12 Monkeys and no desire to try again on that one. Just not my taste I guess.

My overall favorite Brad Pitt movie was by far Fight Club. I think he's brilliant in that movie. (So is E.N.)
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Like him in everything he does, but I didn't get 12 Monkeys and no desire to try again on that one. Just not my taste I guess.

My overall favorite Brad Pitt movie was by far Fight Club. I think he's brilliant in that movie. (So is E.N.)
While i didn't have a problem with 12 Monkeys , it is not the first time i hear people saying they did not get the story ( happens in most Gillian's movies and personally , i need 2-3 viewings everytime to get some of his movies).

Can i ask what bothered you ?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Oh Dirtyfrog I wish I could give you an intelligent answer to that question. I saw it once in the theater, and I went for one reason only: Brad Pitt. The movie is a fuzz of weirdness, I mean I was lost from the beginning, zoning in and out, and I honestly remember nothing anymore other than I hated it. It didn't bore me, I just didn't get it and probably didn't try hard enough to get it. I can't remember details.

My grown sons and my DH all love it. I guess this is one gene I don't share with them.

Sorry, I know I should not give an opinion I can't back up with a reason why, I just remember that I did not like it or understand it at all. lol

Last edited by Glinda; 09-29-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM
I should add that with me, anything science fiction is going to be iffy. I like some stuff, but not all.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Fight Club
Seven
Oceans Eleven
Snatch
Inglorious Basterds
Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 PM
that's ok .... everyone got their own opinion. Was just wondering if one specific angle bothered you... which i guess is more than one now.

Sci-Fi is great (IMO) but i get it that not everyone loves it.

Fine with me.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM
I like him in anything he's done with David Fincher, throw in Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Snatch and Inglorious Basterds. His bit in True Romance was pretty good too.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Can't believe it took so long for people to give Snatch some love!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:35 PM
I like Cool World 1992, not because of Brad Pitt but because of Kim Basinger in her prime.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Don't forget Burn After Reading!

Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Yeah I've been following it as well.

Pitt is one of my all time favorites and some of his films really got me into being a movie buff.

If I had to rank his roles I'd go

1. Fight Club (no one else could of played Tyler Durden...no one)
2. Seven (he mastered the cocky rookie detective to the tee)
3. Assassination of Jesse James (intimidating & cold blooded)
4. Twelve Monkeys
5. Babel
6. Inglorious Bastards (I wish his part was bigger though)
7. Kalifornia (played a great psychopath)
Great list. I would add Snatch instead of #3.
I wish in addition to Dignam getting his own movie, I feel so should Aldo
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM
This belongs in Best/Worst/Favorites/Etc. for future reference.

BEST FILMS

1.) Se7en -10/10
2.) The Tree of Life -9/10
3.) Being John Malkovich -9/10
4.) Fight Club -9/10
5.) The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford -8/10
6.) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -8/10
7.) Killing Them Softly -8/10
8.) Moneyball -8/10
9.) Ocean's 13 -8/10
10.) Thelma & Louise -8/10

BEST PERFORMANCES

1.) Father -The Tree of Life
2.) Jesse James -The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford
3.) Richard Jones -Babel
4.) Tyler Durden -Fight Club
5.) David Mills -Se7en
6.) Benjamin Button -The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
7.) Early Grayce -Kalifornia
8.) Jeffrey Goines -12 Monkeys
9.) Chad Feldheimer -Burn After Reading
10.) Billy Beane -Moneyball

Last edited by QUENTIN; 02-22-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Pitt's a great actor. I agree with Bourne in that he seems to be improving a lot as the years roll by, and he's picking much better projects that suit his talents more (no more disasters like the no-mentions-for-obvious-reasons "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" or "The Devil's Own"). I doubt he will ever be considered as "one of the greats" like Nicholson, De Niro, Day Lewis (on his way to becoming, surely), Dustin Hoffman, Cagney etc. but he'll definitely be respected and loved by many, many fans (I see him as a modern day Paul Newman or Robert Redford). There's nothing wrong with that.

Like almost every actor, I find that he really needs a great script in order to shine with his talent. If he's in a mediocre film or a poorly written script, he's mediocre - at best. If the film is overrated, his performance is part of that. Benjamin Button was an overlong, overwrought and manipulative affair with zero-to-no genuine emotion or character development and he was very average in it. And yet, he received an Oscar nomination and it's popping up on many lists here.

My favorites are in no particular order,

Tree of Life
Moneyball
Fight Club
Se7eN
Burn After Reading
True Romance
Babel
Snatch
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 AM
His best performances are probably his work with Fincher: Fight Club, Benjamin Button and ESPECIALLY Se7en. He was also excellent in Tree of Life, Babel, Ocean's Eleven where he was pure cool and I always thought two of his most underrated performances were in The Devil's Own and The Mexican.

I also loved his performance in the episode of Friends he guest starred in!

Ranking & Rating his movies:

1. Se7en - 10/10
2. Fight Club - 9/10
3. Twelve Monkeys - 9/10
4. Legends of the Fall - 8/10
5. A River Runs Through It - 8/10
6. The Devil's Own - 8/10
7. Sleepers - 8/10
8. Meet Joe Black - 8/10
9. Babel - 8/10
10. The Tree of Life - 8/10

11. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 8/10
12. Ocean's Eleven - 8/10
13. Kalifornia - 8/10
14. The Mexican - 8/10
15. Troy - 8/10
16. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - 8/10
17. Snatch - 7/10
18. Thelma & Louise - 7/10
19. Moneyball - 7/10
20. Spy Game - 7/10

21. Interview with the Vampire - 7/10
22. Mr. & Mrs. Smith - 7/10
23. Inglourious Basterds - 7/10
24. Ocean's Thirteen - 7/10
25. Ocean's Twelve - 7/10
26. Seven Years in Tibet - 6/10
27. Burn After Reading - 5/10
28. Killing Them Softly - 4/10
29. Cool World - 2/10

Last edited by ilovemovies; 12-17-2012 at 06:36 AM..
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 PM
i tried , i tried and i tried .... but The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Cowardly Robert Ford i just find sooooooo damn boring.

No love for his pothead character in True Romance ?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM
His best work has been in the past decade.

At the top would be Jesse James and The Tree Of Life. I thought he was pretty good in Moneyball and Burn After Reading as well.

I love that he is picking out interesting films, even if some of them don't work. You can't say the same for a lot of actors.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I guess that bracket is down to the last few rounds and its going to be either Snatch or Inglorious Bastards against Fight Club (obviously). *I can't decide which to pick. I want to choose the one that will have a better chance against Fight Club, even though it will most likely win the whole thing. I am happy with what ended up being in the final rounds since they are definitely some of his better movies!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 AM
My favourite Brad Pitt movie is Fight Club. Followed by Inglorious Basterds and Burn After Reading.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 AM
I like Troy Movie by Brad Pit.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Top 10 Best Films:

1. Fight Club
2. Babel
3. Se7en
4. Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. Kalifornia
7. Thelma & Louise
8. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
9. The Mexican
10. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Top 5 Best Performances:

1. Fight Club
2. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
3. Babel
4. Twelve Monkeys
5. Se7en
Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM
My Ratings and Ranking of his Films.

1. Fight Club (10/10)
2. Inglourious Basterds (10/10)
3. Sleepers (10/10) - probably needs a rewatch, after I found out it wasn't true.
4. Se7en (9/10)
5. The Assassination of Jesse James by teh Coward Robert Ford (9/10)
6. Killing Them Softly (9/10)
7. Twelve Monkeys (8/10)
8. Snatch (8/10)
9. Thelma & Louise (8/10)
10. Legends of the Fall (8/10)
11. Moneyball (8/10)
12. True Romance (7/10)
13. Babel (7/10)
14. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (7/10)
15. The Devil's Own (7/10)
16. Troy (7/10)
17. Tree of Life (6/10)
18. Burn After Reading (6/10)
19. Ocean's Eleven (6/10)
20. Ocean's Twelve (5/10)
21. Mr and Mrs Smith (5/10)
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Best of Brad Pit Ocean's Eleven, Troy, Mr and Mrs. Smith, Fight Club.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Best Movies by Brad Pitt.

Fight Club

Legends of the Fall

The Tree of Life

Troy

Seven Years in Tibet
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 AM
In "Assassination of Jesse James" Pitt gave a better performance than DDL in "There Will be Blood"....but because Pitt's performance wasn't as showy he wasn't even nominated for some of the top awards.

There are films that were better and I enjoyed more, but that film had his best performance I think.

Fight Club is probably my fave Pitt film.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
In "Assassination of Jesse James" Pitt gave a better performance than DDL in "There Will be Blood"....but because Pitt's performance wasn't as showy he wasn't even nominated for some of the top awards.
I think you might have a point there, honestly. DDL was fantastic in There Will Be Blood, but Pitt as Jesse James was at least on par with, if not better. I'll agree.