Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Beer

Yeah I know there's a thread on drinks/drugs of choice already, but with the growing number of microbreweries and beer aficionados out there, I figure this is a big enough topic to be on its own. I figured besides favourite beers, people could also post comments here whenever they try a new beer.

I'm still in the early days of beer tasting, having probably tried a hundred to two hundred different beers altogether.

Beck's was my beer of choice for a long time before I started exploring.

Anyway, my current standard beer of choice that's relatively easy to find in Ontario is McAuslan's St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale. Goes down easy, slightly fruity, and very clean finish. Haven't tried their Oatmeal Stout yet but that is reportedly their best beer and considering I love my stouts, I'm sure I'll be down with it.

Speaking of which, favourite current stout is the Yukon Midnight Sun Espresso Stout. Picked it up randomly in an SAQ over in Quebec and loved it. Unfortunately I haven't seen it since in Ontario's LCBOs at all .

I just checked out Toronto's Bar Volo briefly for dinner this week (not realizing when we walked in that it is considered one of Toronto's top places for craft beers) and got to try Dieu du Ciel's Rosee d'Hibiscus which I thought was great. Pink and fruity beer but not cloying at all. I'd been to the Dieu du Ciel microbrewery in Montreal back in September but it was so packed and noisy there, we only got one beer then went somewhere else.

My main microbreweries I want to check out right now are Ommegang and Dogfish Head, neither of which have anything available yet in Canada as far as I know.

Post your favourite beers or beers you've recently tried and thoughts...
Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Yeah I know there's a thread on drinks/drugs of choice already, but with the growing number of microbreweries and beer aficionados out there, I figure this is a big enough topic to be on its own. I figured besides favourite beers, people could also post comments here whenever they try a new beer.

I'm still in the early days of beer tasting, having probably tried a hundred to two hundred different beers altogether.

Beck's was my beer of choice for a long time before I started exploring.

Anyway, my current standard beer of choice that's relatively easy to find in Ontario is McAuslan's St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale. Goes down easy, slightly fruity, and very clean finish. Haven't tried their Oatmeal Stout yet but that is reportedly their best beer and considering I love my stouts, I'm sure I'll be down with it.

Speaking of which, favourite current stout is the Yukon Midnight Sun Espresso Stout. Picked it up randomly in an SAQ over in Quebec and loved it. Unfortunately I haven't seen it since in Ontario's LCBOs at all .

I just checked out Toronto's Bar Volo briefly for dinner this week (not realizing when we walked in that it is considered one of Toronto's top places for craft beers) and got to try Dieu du Ciel's Rosee d'Hibiscus which I thought was great. Pink and fruity beer but not cloying at all. I'd been to the Dieu du Ciel microbrewery in Montreal back in September but it was so packed and noisy there, we only got one beer then went somewhere else.

My main microbreweries I want to check out right now are Ommegang and Dogfish Head, neither of which have anything available yet in Canada as far as I know.

Post your favourite beers or beers you've recently tried and thoughts...
Actually, my favorite beer is from your neck of the woods.
Sleeman Cream Ale from Guelph, Ontario.

Can't get it in the states.
You lucky fuck.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 PM
I don't drink! I don't smoke! I don't do drugs! That means I am better than you!

(Guinness when I did drink)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 PM
I have an affiliation for Yeungling that shit is awesome. I haven't tried a whole ton of beers though I am still pretty young.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Well l hate the taste of beer and also do not like red wine or white wine I prefer a sweet cocktail or if l don't have that l go for my favourite Vodka and orange, juice But getting back to beer if you are in Australia traveling try our Fosters beer or the good old xxxx beer l been told by aussie this is the best
Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 AM
I prefer Killian's Red, Sam Adams, or Yuengling. But I'll drink pretty much any beer. I'd rather avoid PBR and light beer however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqEJsAxXeE
Old 03-17-2013, 05:09 PM

in college all I drank was Miller High Life (unless I was at a party) mainly because all of my friends & roommates hated it so I wouldnt have to worry about them stealing any

Nowadays I'm really into German beer (especially Shiner Bock)
Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
I cut down my drinking because I like to get into too many fist fights. On the rare occasions that I do I drink Tecate.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 AM
I love beer.

My old standby is Weihenstephan, but there are dozens of beers that are great.
I don't care much for Guinness, but I am quite fond of a great stout (how about Old Rasputin Imperial Stout? OMG!!!)

I also love Rogue Dead Guy Ale and Hazelnut Brown Nectar.
One of my all-time favorites is Guldendraak, a divine triple ale from Belgium. Sometimes a bottle won't taste all that great, but 8 of 10 times it's like a slice of heaven. Only one bottle - maybe two - is plenty. After that it doesn't taste good, and I'm most likely gonna be drunk.

Similar to that is Pirate Ale.

Other great beers, depending on my mood and the weather:
Great White
Delerium: Tremens, Nocturnum, Christmas/Noel
Kilkenny
Hoegaarden (ONLY on tap)
Smithwick's (for hot summer days)
Erdinger

I don't like most Sam Adams, but they have some surprisingly good Seasonals, to include the Samuel Adams Winter Lager and Summer Ale.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM
A few favorites.

Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale
Deschutes - Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Ninkasi - Double IPA
Life's Good - Descender IPA
Caldera - Hopportunity Knocks
Leinenkugel - Sunset Wheat
Lost Coast - Indica IPA

I love beer! Part of why I love the North West is all the excellent micro-brews. Plus it's where the best hops in the world are grown, IMO.

Last edited by Preston_79; 03-20-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
My favorite beer is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, but I'll drink light beer usually be it Coors, Miller or Bud Light. I also really enjoy a Blue Moon from time to time...
Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
I never knew America had so many kinds of beer to try and taste next time l am in America l would love to go on a beer tasting holiday
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah I also love Indica IPA on tap. It's great. I was drinking one last night and I couldn't remember if I mentioned it or not.
I forgot to add Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, too.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
I prefer a sweet cocktail
lol
Old 05-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Probably the best ale I've ever had in my life.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Groslch never lets me down .
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
hmm I've heard about this beer and have seen it in stores. Might have to give it a try sometime soon.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Definitely a few beers here I will have to keep an eye out for especially next time I'm in the U.S. That Burton Baton looks delicious and as I mentioned above, I've been dying to try some Dogfish Head brews.

KC - I almost tried Rogue Dead Guy a few weeks ago, we bought a bunch of beers and went through them but that was left for towards the end and we never got around to it. Will definitely give that a go sometime though, heard great things about it.

Finally got around to the McAuslan Oatmeal Stout - so I had this stuff bottled and I thought it was kind of thin and not that great to be honest. I struggled to get through a six-pack. I told my buddy who works at LCBO about it and he said McAuslan sometimes has production issues with their bottles and some bad batches. So when we went to the Elmdale Tavern a few weeks ago, they happened to have it on tap so I gave it a try - and man, it was delicious! The consistency was definitely thicker than the bottle I had and the beer as a whole was richer-tasting.

I also got a chance to try the McAuslan Apricot Wheat Ale on tap at Sir John A's and it was much lighter tasting, much fruitier aftertaste. I think objectively it's better than the bottled but I had a pint of it and I was getting a bit sick of the fruity taste towards the bottom of the glass.

Also got to try Flying Monkeys' Anti-Gravity on tap which was decent. Nothing that stood out to me but I enjoyed my glass. Ditto with Barking Squirrel from Hop City. Pretty standard but decent beer but with a bit of a honey taste and fruity finish.

Tried a bunch of other beers since the last update but I can't remember them all as well. Pothole Filler Imperial Stout I remember being pretty great. Also finally tried a bottle of Dieu du Ciel's Peche Mortel which I think I liked slightly more. Tried a bunch of a local craft brewery (Beyond the Pale)'s stuff - there was one very low percentage (I believe 2.5%) beer called Easy Peezy or something like that that I hated but I loved everything else I tried from them.

I find it really hard to go back to standard beers like Bud and Coors Light these days. Just find them awful.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 05-09-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I used to drink Coors Light on a very regular basis but now a days I can hardly touch the stuff, I'll drink it over Bud Light though any day of the week. The beer that is most regularly in my refrigerator is Yuengling. Which I had drunk a couple of times but it was not available in my home state of Kentucky. It did not become my go to beer until I moved to North Carolina. I joke with my fiance that the reason why we can not move back to KY is because they do not sale Yuengling. Kentucky and North Carolina do have their fair share of great beers. Kentucky Ale and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel are excellent. I always try to get a pack of those when I go home. In North Carolina we have the Natty Green brewery that puts out some great beers and also Red Oak.

I always find myself eagerly awaiting fall because of Sam Adams Oktoberfest which may be my favorite beer. I have to go to Costco and get a few cases so I can have some for the coming months. Fall is my favorite time of the year for beer, some times I wish it lasted longer.

I just recently tried the Flying Dog Wild Blue and the first couple of drinks were good. By the time I got about half way through I could hardly drink it, I'm glad I did not pay for it. I usually do not go for the fruity beers. I also do not drink light beer unless it's the only thing around. I love a good dark beer. I love ales, stouts, lagers, fuck any kind. I must say I do not like I.P.A.s.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
hmm I've heard about this beer and have seen it in stores. Might have to give it a try sometime soon.
Its sooooooo good. Its expensive but this shit is liquid gold. I'm not that much of a heavy drinker anymore but just one of these and I'm feeling nice. 10% alcohol per bottle! A must for any beverage connoisseur.

Last edited by creekin111; 05-09-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Quote:
sounds amazing do you know if it is available throughout the United States?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
sounds amazing do you know if it is available throughout the United States?
Absolutely you can find it in the states. I just finished drinking a couple just now.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:29 AM
^thanks haha I am going to have to try and find some this week.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Cool let us know your verdict.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Somebody was reading my mind...

Living in Fort Collins, CO, I live literally in the mecca of beer country. We get so much damn beer out here, and the fact that I live within walking distance from about 8 breweries (no joke), 2 cideries, and a distillery (coming soon). The biggest one that everyone knows about that I live by is New Belgium (Fat Tire, Sunshine Wheat, Lips of Faith series). I've completely written off their mainline beers and go exclusively towards their LOF series (except when Frambozen is out in the winter). I also work for a brewery and am their sole sales rep, so my fridge is never ever empty of beer (natch!).

I'm from the Chicagoland area originally and I dearly miss getting Bell's, Three Floyd's, and my personal favorite: Southern Tier.

Some of this is still available in my area and is absolutely delicious! If you can get your hands on any Odell beers, I highly recommend this one: Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout.

If you guys really want to expand your pallets, try a sour beer. On a hot summer day or in the evening, or really any time you see fit, try this: Duchesse de Bourgogne. Easily the best sour out on the market and you can get it most anywhere.

Beer is pretty much my world now. I'll post more later when I stop drinking.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Sorry for the big ass picture, people!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 PM

Kilt Lifter brewed in Arizona

Highly recommend it.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Cool let us know your verdict.
That was pretty damn good its strong though, I was drank two and I'm full and feeling good haha. Its damn expensive though lol.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
That was pretty damn good its strong though, I was drank two and I'm full and feeling good haha. Its damn expensive though lol.
Hehe sneaks up on ya doesn't it? For me its all of the benefits of being buzzed but none of the drawbacks. I love the aroma and the aftertaste is like I just drank tasty liquid gold. lol It reminds me of some ales and beers I had in Europe when I lived there when I was a teenager. Really satisfying and none of that watered down taste.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:39 AM
I've been enjoying Sam Adams Summer Ale recently but since my usual watering hole is outdoors surrounded by palm trees, if I go with beer it's usually a Corona with a lime.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM
I'll just have some coffee, thanks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaHkEH3nk8w
Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM
I have been drinking Dos Equis lately its delicious.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM
I recently had for the first time:

Brooklyn Lager - It's pretty good. Tidbit; it is THE highest selling beer in Sweden. It's so popular there, in fact, that they have their own brewery just for supply in Sweden.

Koko Brown - A Hawaiian beer that has strong hints of coconut. Interesting, but more than one would be a little much for me.

Big Wave Golden Ale - Also by the same Hawaiian Kona Brewing Company, it's a run-of-the-mill "golden ale", tasting about exactly as you'd expect. Better than many typical ales, with hints of peach.

Green Flash Hop Head Red - Not too shabby, especially if you're a fan of hoppy beers. Quite hoppy, but also of good quality. It has a distinct "malty" hit after swallowing a sip, and after that you can taste hints of fruit.

Green Flash Double Stout - This is QUITE good. I love a good stout, and this has a very deep, dark flavor that brings justice to the term "stout". Slightly burnt flavor (but not overwhelming at all), certainly due to its roasted contents. I highly recommend this.
If you like Anderson Valley's Oatmeal Stout, it's similar to that, but with a darker flavor.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 PM
I have also been enjoying Smithwick lately. I have had both Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Yuengling Oktoberfest recently which were both pretty good. I'm glad we are getting into the fall and winter beer season now.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM

this shit will knock you on your ass!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:19 PM

Tried this tonight, wasn't bad a little too nutty though.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:47 PM

This was delicious I highly recommend it.

Last edited by ThunderStorm; 10-13-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Gearing up for Beer Night tomorrow. My buddy works at the LCBO (Ontario's province-controlled liquor store) and often does wine nights, but figured he'd change it up tomorrow. As most of the people who go either work at the LCBO, microbreweries, or are training to be sommeliers, I figured I needed to go out of my way to find some decent stuff so this is what I bought today over on the Québec side (the three big bottles are what I'm going to bring):

-Dieu du Ciel! - Corne du diable
-Dominus Vobiscum - Lupulus
-Le Castor - Yakima I.P.A.
-Les Trois Mousquetaires - Grande Cuvée Porter Baltique Special Edition 2013 (with added bourbon and brandy)

-Dieu du Ciel! - Isseki Nicho
-Dieu du Ciel! - Pénombre

The 2013 edition of the Porter Baltique won a World Beer Award for Best Strong Porter in the world so I have high hopes for that one.

Also, anyone here use the app Untappd? I downloaded a while back but didn't use it cause it was missing a lot of beers at the time and I don't think there was an easy way to add beers that it didn't have. I checked the app again today and now it seems a lot easier to add beers that are not listed so I'm going to start using it. Post your profile name if you have it. My profile name is the same as here (jcphoenix) if anyone wants to add me.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 10-18-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 AM
I require that 2013 bottle in my mouth immediately. Can you get more of it?

I'm excited (and bragging) that the brewery I work for just won 2 medals at GABF (Great American Beer Festival). A gold for our English Brown Ale and a bronze for our Strong Ale. If anyone is ever in the northern Colorado area, look up City Star Brewing.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:42 PM
I enjoy Weihenstephaner, It's so damn good considering how light it is.

But my favorite kind of beer are IPA's--although I can't drink them all the time.

I Like Arrogant Bastard, Terrapin Hopsecutioner (Athens, GA), Dogfish Head, and of course the IPA's from my local ATL brewery, Sweetwater)