Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Michael Bay slams Pacific Rim (Del Toro responds)

According to Guillermo del Toro, his upcoming giant robot movie Pacific Rim couldn't be more different from Michael Bay's Transformers franchise. But during Bay's presentation at CinemaCon earlier this week plugging Pain & Gain and 2014's Transformers 4, Bay told theater owners that there have been quite a few "rip-off' robot movies and that audiences know better.
PHOTOS: Giant Robots vs. Giant Monsters: 6 New 'Pacific Rim' Posters
Bay didn't specifically name any titles, but he likely was referring to Universal's ill-fated Battleship and DreamWorks' Reel Steel, both of which didn't work at the box office. However, many attending the session wondered whether Bay also was calling out Pacific Rim, which del Toro promoted during his CinemaCon presentation a day later (insiders close to Bay say they highly doubt it).
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, del Toro responds that his movie is totally different than Transformers.
"We are far, far, far away from that in a very willing fashion," del Toro says. "For good or bad, this is my movie. This is my universe and my creation, and I do not create through comparison."
There is an operatic quality to Pacific Rim in terms of size and scope, del Toro says. In the film, the robots are as tall as 25-story buildings — much larger than the Autobots of Bay's franchise -- and they take on invading alien monsters.

"The fights don't occur in well-lit, supercool, car commercial-looking environments," del Toro says. "They occur in the middle of a raging sea storm or in a savage snowstorm. They happen in a universe that is incredibly saturated."
The director also points out that robots have been a mainstay of science fiction for decades. "And to some degree, the source of all artificial life is Frankenstein," he says.
On a lighter note, del Toro says his robots could crush every "robot in the history of mankind in a toe-to-toe showdown."
Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures open Pacific Rim in theaters July 12.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...esponds-442131

I'm not a fan of Del Toro (I thought Pan's Labyrinth was well crafted but insanely overrated and I never cared for the Hell boy films) but Pacific Rim looks promising and I bet it will be better than the entire Transformers franchise.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM
I mean.. if I am reading that correctly.. Bay didn't say jack shit about Pacific Rim! And in the context I say, it seems that he wasn't even referencing nor thinking of Pacific Rim when making that statement!

I think he was 100% talking about Battleship and possibly Real Steel, but i really doubt Pacific RIm was even on his mind!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I mean.. if I am reading that correctly.. Bay didn't say jack shit about Pacific Rim!
I know, right?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I mean.. if I am reading that correctly.. Bay didn't say jack shit about Pacific Rim! And in the context I say, it seems that he wasn't even referencing nor thinking of Pacific Rim when making that statement!

I think he was 100% talking about Battleship and possibly Real Steel, but i really doubt Pacific RIm was even on his mind!
Bay said "Robot movies". How many robot films have there been? Battleship wasn't a robot film. Pacific Rim & Real Steel are the only two robot movies out there post Transformers (that I can think of).
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Well, we all know he's the KING of originality.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Whole thing got blown out of proportion here is what Bay wrote on his blog.

Quote:
Well today, Hollywood Reporter stated that I was in a feud with Guillermo del Toro and his Pacific Rim. Absolutely to the contrary.

I was talking about another movie, at another studio that will remain nameless, while I spoke at CinemaCon in Vegas this Monday.

I love how reporters put false words in people’s mouths without doing their proper research. Well ’cause of that sloppy reporting, I thought Guillermo was mad at me, and he thought I was mad at him. We both exchanged calls today and realized nobody was mad at anybody except we were both mad at that reporter!

Michael
Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Pretty sure he was talking about Real Steel.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 AM
oops it looks like I definitely interpreted it wrong. My bad.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Real Steel is 100x better than all of the Transformers movies put together. It has more heart and better direction than anything Bay has done since 1990's.

And Pacific Rim DOES look like a Transformers ripoff. So was Battleship. Real Steel? Not so much.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
It has more heart and better direction than anything Bay has done since 1990's.
You ain't seen bad boys 2?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
And Pacific Rim DOES look like a Transformers ripoff. So was Battleship. Real Steel? Not so much.
Except it doesn't at all but that's okay. And no problem Echo I could see where you were coming from.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Yeah I don't think Bay was referencing Pacific Rim exactly, but Bay is always hyping himself and his work - always bragging on how the military is always happy to work with him in his movies. He always comes off as a dick to me.