Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM
has any other movie aside from E.T. been held out from being released on VHS?

when I was a kid E.T. was the holy grail of movies but it wasn't released on video right away. this was really frustrating. I remember one of my friends had a bootleg copy. it was the most awful thing ever. they all sounded like they were underwater but yeah we were that desperate to watch it haha

does anyone know if this has happened with any other movie?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
It happened with almost every movie. The concept of owning a movie just wasn't a thing for a long time. I remember when Jurassic Park was released on VHS it was a big deal because they put out the video the same year as the theatrical release - which was considered groundbreaking at the time (normally it took close to a year for a home video release).

Even in the heyday of VHS, someone owning a library of movies wasn't that common. Sure, someone might own ten or twenty movies, but the idea of someone owning hundreds of movies like we do now would have been considered absurd to the average person.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM
In 2003, I owned around 300 VHS tapes. Did anyone else have a collection similar?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 AM
It's crazy how quickly they're putting things on home video compared to before. It went from a year to eight months to six months and now, having missed Side Effects in early February, I only have to wait a few more weeks to see it on home release.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Yeah, the VHS release of major films used to be a big deal.

The old business model for Hollywood was far more profitable than the current one they use. The original business model really milked a film for all it was worth. A film would be released in the theaters for a few months, then it would be release as a video rental for about six months to a year, then it would be released on premium cable, then it was finally released for sale.

Changing this business model is what killed video rental stores. Then online streaming came along and put the final nail in the coffin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
In 2003, I owned around 300 VHS tapes. Did anyone else have a collection similar?
Yep. A video rental store went out of business in my home town, and they sold all of their VHS tapes for 50-75 cents each. I spent well over a hundred dollars in that store. I even bought movies that I had no idea what they were. This is how I first discovered Troll 2
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Yep. A video rental store went out of business in my home town, and they sold all of their VHS tapes for 50-75 cents each. I spent well over a hundred dollars in that store. I even bought movies that I had no idea what they were. This is how I first discovered Troll 2
Awesome! Good times
Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM
no, it wasn't like it was with E.T. that movie was completely held out of being released. most movies, no matter how expensive, you could buy from any rental video store. but not with E.T. it was held out so it could be re-released in theaters. I think it was re-released more than once, not counting the one with the additional footage.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 03:34 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
I still think it's pretty crazy to have 100s of movies. I just have a few of my favs and every once in a while I'll rent a movie or go see a movie that I am interested in. I'm not a huge movie buff...but I also don't know too many people with 100s of movies.

I do remember movies taking almost a year to come out on video...now they come out literally a month later. It's crazy.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 AM
I don't know about VHS, but DVDs (and now blu-rays) led to the demise of the second-run theater. I saw Jurassic Park and Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 4 times in theaters when they were released. And they weren't back to back viewings, but over several weeks. After the first-run was over, we'd go to the second-run cheapy theater to see it another time or two.

Now, if you want to see a movie in theaters, you gotta be quick about it because in a matter of weeks, it'll be on its way to On-Demand, PPV, and DVD/blu-ray.

Ahhh . . . the good ole days.