Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Actors that have improved and those that have regressed

Since we were discussing directors that have improved and those that have regressed I think its time we discuss actors that have improved and that have regressed.

Improved:

Ryan Gosling - He just keeps getting better and better and I have no doubt he'll tear it up in Only God Forgives. I didn't like him in The Notebook or Murder by Numbers but man once I saw Half Nelson I knew this guy had some talent.

Tom Hardy - Another obvious choice. His role as Bane was absolutely terrifying. I couldnt imagine another actor playing Bane. Also he was incredible in Bronson. I mean Oscar worthy folks.

Leonardo Dicaprio - Again this is a guy that just keeps getting better and better. He should of won the Oscar for The Aviator imo. And hopefully he will for The Wolf of Wallstreet. I have high hopes for that film.

And last but not least the man that has easily improved the most is Matthew McConaughey. He has been tearing it up lately. Killer Joe, Bernie and most recently he's been getting tons of praise for Mud. Plus he is playing an AIDS victim in Dallas Buyers Club where he lost a TON of weight and apparently there is a lot of hype around his performance. Can't wait for that one. Oh and don't forget The Wolf of Wallstreet too. And also he will be starring in Christopher Nolan's Interstellar. This dude is on the up & up.

Regressed:

I hate to say it but Edward Norton is the first culprit of actors who have regressed. I thought he kinda sucked as Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk. And really he hasn't made a good or even decent movie in awhile. It seems like forever ago since American History X, Fight Club and 25th Hour(which is my favorite film of the past decade). It's too bad but lets hope he gets back on the acting kick and makes Motherless Brooklyn finally.

The biggest culprit is EASILY Harrison Ford. He is flat out AWFUL nowadays which is just too bad. Indy 4 is easily one of the worst films of all time. Fuck that film. And it doesn't even seem like he tries anymore. He fuckin sucks now.

I would of included Robert De Niro but with his recent Oscar nomination, I think its safe to say he is back in the game. Now lets just hope he doesn't make another movie with 50 Cent lol.

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Leo was a better actor when he was younger. More natural. Now he is mostly hammy.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Leonardo DiCaprio definitely improved. He's not the pretty boy we all saw in Titanic.

As much as it pains me, Robert De Niro and Al Pacino have definitely regressed. De Niro was pretty good in Silver Linings Playbook but that's not consistent with all the crap he's put out lately. Al Pacino did Jack & Jill which is inexcusable, and his performance in HBO's Phil Spector was pretty weak.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 PM
I don't think Leo has regressed or gotten better. I think he's been consistently great throughout his entire career.

As far as Ed Norton goes, I guess he's regressed a little, but he's still great to watch. I mean, yes, compared to his work in the late 90's to early 00's, there is no denying he has regressed. That's because back then he was doing ferocious work in movies like Primal Fear, American History X, Fight Club and 25th Hour. Now he's still a consistently solid actor, but his work and his movies aren't quite on the same level.

Adam Sandler started to improve when he was doing movies like 50 First Dates, Spanglish, Punch-Drunk Love, etc, but now he's regressed in a big way with several horrible movies like Jack and Jill and That's My Boy! He's become kind of painful to watch now.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Progressed: Ryan Gosling, Daniel Day-Lewis, Christian Bale, Colin Firth, Mickey Rourke, Kevin Bacon

Consistent: Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Craig, Ralph Fiennes, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Denzel Washington, Jeff Bridges, Samuel L. Jackson, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Spacey, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Gary Oldman, Guy Pearce, Matt Damon, Sean Penn, Willem Dafoe, Liam Neeson

Regressed: Jack Nicholson, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Kevin Costner, Nicolas Cage, Jim Carrey, Russell Crowe, Johnny Depp, Edward Norton, Richard Gere, Harrison Ford, Robin Williams, Keanu Reeves, Val Kilmer, Joaquin Phoenix
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
Regressed: Joaquin Phoenix
You DID see "The Master," didn't you?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 AM
I definitely agree with Hardy and Gosling as far as improved. Those were the two actors I first thought of when I saw this thread title. I'll also throw in Joseph Gordon Levitt, whose resume seems to improve with every movie he makes.

I've enjoyed DiCaprio's movies more and more as he's aged. His work with Scorcese, Revolutionary Road,and recently Django Unchained - among others - shows the range he has.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Progressed: Ryan Gosling, Daniel Day-Lewis, Christian Bale, Colin Firth, Mickey Rourke, Kevin Bacon

Consistent: Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Craig, Ralph Fiennes, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Denzel Washington, Jeff Bridges, Samuel L. Jackson, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Spacey, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Gary Oldman, Guy Pearce, Matt Damon, Sean Penn, Willem Dafoe, Liam Neeson

Regressed: Jack Nicholson, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Kevin Costner, Nicolas Cage, Jim Carrey, Russell Crowe, Johnny Depp, Edward Norton, Richard Gere, Harrison Ford, Robin Williams, Keanu Reeves, Val Kilmer, Joaquin Phoenix
all good choices except for saying Phoenix has regressed. Have you seen The Master? Cause he owned that role and probably should of won an Oscar for it.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Regressed:

Just about every single comedic actor. For some reason comedic actors can pop out about 4 or 5 good movies MAX, then everything they do turns to utter shit after that.

Improved:

Daniel Radcliffe. Was a pretty terrible child actor as a kid, but now he is legit and probably going to be around for a long time.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Clooney has most definitely NOT regressed. Same for Brad Pitt. And Tom Cruise.

I would definitely agree that Daniel Radcliffe has progressed, so has his Potter costar Emma Watson. They are both doing solid work currently.

I also think Shai Lebouf has progressed. From the Transformers movies to Lawless and The Company You Keep and his upcoming work looks/sounds promising.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
I don't see how Christian Bale has progressed. Aside from The Fighter, he hasn't given a really interesting performance in a while. Kevin Bacon? I'm not sure when he got better.

Quote:
Consistent:Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Denzel Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey
How have these guys not dropped off? Spacey hasn't done much of anything interesting in the last decade plus.

Quote:
Regressed:Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Keanu Reeves, Joaquin Phoenix
I don't see how these guys have regressed.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm surprised Will Smith hasn't been mentioned yet, but honestly, his career is just so uninteresting for me that it's not worth the discussion really.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I'm surprised Will Smith hasn't been mentioned yet, but honestly, his career is just so uninteresting for me that it's not worth the discussion really.
Hard to regress when you've really never changed.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 PM
I think Will Smith has been incredibly consistent. It's just that he goes through long periods of time when he doesn't do much. But I'm still a big fan of his. He's one of our most charismatic movie stars. And he IS capable of disappearing into a role like he did beautifully in The Pursuit of Happyness.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Will Smith has never impressed me as a dramatic actor. He definitely has comedic skills but he was an absolute fool to not do Django Unchained.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
I don't see how Christian Bale has progressed. Aside from The Fighter, he hasn't given a really interesting performance in a while.
I don't know about progressed, but he's definitely stayed consistent. After Heath Ledger stole the show in The Dark Knight, I thought Bale delivered probably his best performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman in The Dark Knight Rises. He's great in 3:10 to Yuma and The Prestige as well.

His best performance is still Patrick Bateman and that's difficult to top, but he's delivered consistent, well-done performances the last several years.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Matthew McConaughey.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsCameraReaction View Post
Matthew McConaughey.
Big time.

I watched the movie Bullhead the other day and, while he may have just started getting some recognition from movie buffs around the world, Matthias Schoenaerts is an actor who I think has progressed into one of the most formidable talents to watch out for. His turn in Rust and Bone last year alongside Marion Cotillard was great, but his performance in Bullhead was downright incredible - a performance that's by turns primal, frightening and animalistic and subtle, nuanced and heartbreaking. It was probably second only to Phoenix in The Master in terms of the best performances of last year for me. Definitely check the film out when you get the chance (it's available to stream on netflix).

Last edited by Reckoner; 05-05-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 PM
The KING of regressions has to be Nicolas Cage.

Honestly, it looks like he isn't even trying nowadays. I know a lot of people find him funny to watch, but hilarious and all, his acting has become painful to watch; he pretty much spends every movie screaming, fidgeting and bugging his eyes. Considering how strongly he started out his career (Oscar nom and all), it's pretty sad. I actively avoid his movies nowadays.

It's funny, recently I wrote an article about how so many well-known actors began their careers making low-budget B movies, mostly horror ones - and Nicolas Cage seems to have done the opposite, nowadays he's making the sort of crap you would have expected him to do at the beginning of his career.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 PM
I just noticed that no women have been mentioned yet, so I'll start off with some.

Progressing:
Michelle Williams
Marion Cotillard

Consistent:
Meryl Streep
Tilda Swinton
Cate Blanchett
Nicole Kidman
Susan Sarandon
Vanessa Redgrave
Juliette Binoche
Rachel Weisz

Regressing:
This is tricky because women have a much harder time finding great roles as they get older, so it's more a problem of them simply working with roles that don't match their talent. At the moment though, nothing really comes to mind.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 05-05-2013 at 11:40 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I just noticed that no women have been mentioned yet, so I'll start off with some.

Progressing:
Michelle Williams
Marion Cotillard

Consistent:
Meryl Streep
Tilda Swinton
Cate Blanchett
Nicole Kidman
Susan Sarandon
Vanessa Redgrave
Juliette Binoche
Rachel Weisz

Regressing:
This is tricky because women have a much harder time finding great roles as they get older, so it's more a problem of them simply working with roles that don't match their talent. At the moment though, nothing really comes to mind.
Marion is a looker, but I wasn't a fan of her performance in The Dark Knight Rises and so I can't quite endorse her as an actress that is progressing.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
The KING of regressions has to be Nicolas Cage.

Honestly, it looks like he isn't even trying nowadays. I know a lot of people find him funny to watch, but hilarious and all, his acting has become painful to watch; he pretty much spends every movie screaming, fidgeting and bugging his eyes. Considering how strongly he started out his career (Oscar nom and all), it's pretty sad. I actively avoid his movies nowadays.

It's funny, recently I wrote an article about how so many well-known actors began their careers making low-budget B movies, mostly horror ones - and Nicolas Cage seems to have done the opposite, nowadays he's making the sort of crap you would have expected him to do at the beginning of his career.
I liked him in The Weatherman and Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, but his movies have really slipped. Not that all of his movies were great before then, but The Wicker Man was the start of his major tailspin. Before then he had Adaptation, Matchstick Men, The Weatherman and Lord of War to his credit. The first National Treasure was watchable, and World Trade Center was simply forgettable, but not as bad as what he is doing now. But since The Wicker Man he has done: Next, Bangkok Dangerous, Ghost Rider 2, Knowing, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, National Treasure 2, Trespass and Season of the Witch. I'm probably forgetting one or two also.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Marion is a looker, but I wasn't a fan of her performance in The Dark Knight Rises and so I can't quite endorse her as an actress that is progressing.
I was referring to her performance in Rust & Bone. Haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises, but I know her performance had it's share of naysayers.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Anne Hathaway has definitely progressed. Rachel Getting Married, Love and Other Drugs, The Dark Knight Rises, Les Miserables (didn't care for the movie, but she's undeniably great).

I personally am not sure how to categorize Nic Cage. His career is so up and down, so inconsistent, that I have no idea where he fits in.

In fact, the same can be said for Halle Berry. She's done some fine work in movies like Things We Lost in the Fire, she's OKAY in the so-so The Call. And then there is crap like Perfect Stranger.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Anne Hathaway has definitely progressed. Rachel Getting Married, Love and Other Drugs, The Dark Knight Rises, Les Miserables (didn't care for the movie, but she's undeniably great).

I personally am not sure how to categorize Nic Cage. His career is so up and down, so inconsistent, that I have no idea where he fits in.

In fact, the same can be said for Halle Berry. She's done some fine work in movies like Things We Lost in the Fire, she's OKAY in the so-so The Call. And then there is crap like Perfect Stranger.
Good call on all of those. Nic Cage is a lost cause at this pooint lol

You are definitely correct about Hathaway, she is one of the best actresses in the business right now esp after Les Miserables and especially her as Catwoman.

And sigh on Halle Berry. After winning that Oscar for the terrifc Monster's Ball, its been nothing but down hill from there which is a shame cause I know she still has talent.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 PM
well Ben Affleck has done both in his career. started nicely but slowed down but started to pick it up later in his career
Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsCameraReaction View Post
Matthew McConaughey.
Yeah I definitely think he's the winner here. He's been on a role lately and it looks to continue that way with Mud and The Wolf of Wallstreet.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 AM

Another actor that has improved big time is Jack Huston. I first saw him in the shitty little horror film called Shrooms. It was awful and I thought to myself "Who is this Johnny Depp wannabe???"

Fast forward to him in Boardwalk Empire...WOW. I hope he eventually wins an Emmy cause he owns that character. If he keeps his head on straight and plays his cards right I really think this guy can be big time. I would love to see him work with some of my favorite directors (Fincher, Aronofsky, Nolan and definitely Scorsese)
Old 05-23-2013, 01:25 PM
I totally agree with you.. but in my opinion, Ethan Hawke only gets better with age.. I'm probably one of the few but I love the trilogy and really look forward to Before Midnight.. He's also in Getaway out sometime this year.. that promises to be a great action thriller. so, here's to hoping!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 PM
I think the ultimate progression of an actor is Channing Tatum... he was absolutely god awful in G.I Joe, i mean just terrible, but then he started embracing his more comedic side and 21 Jump Street, Magic Mike and G.I Joe: Retaliation he was fantastic, which is saying a lot for G.I Joe 2... cuz they gave his character a more comedic edge, and that is his wheelhouse.