Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Is it pronounced 'gif' or 'jif'?

WTF?

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...mid=tw-nytimes

Jrafix interchange format.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm sure that's what the creator intended, but you can't stop what the world has turned it into. It has a mind of its own, and you're not going to change everybody's mind now...
Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM
It's gif, and anyone who says otherwise is clearly just seeking attention or attempting to troll.

Let's all jive each other jifts for our birthdays. Maybe video james with sweet jraphics?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm one of the few who has always pronounced it 'jif'. I always thought it had a soft g like giraffe. Pronouncing it with a hard g just sounds weird.

EDIT: Fine, despite it's creator saying otherwise, I'll start pronouncing it with a hard g now (and YES, I know it makes more sense, still sounds dumb though )

Last edited by Cunning Visions; 05-23-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
It's "gift" without the "t".
Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Old 05-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm one of the few who say "jif". I have since about 1990, when I first learned what a friend said it stands for: General Image File.
I know NOW that it's not right, but it just stuck with me. It was several years before I learned it meant "graphics interchange format".
This is one of those rare instances were I refer to the pronunciation of the letter as if the acronym was not shortened from the original form.

Just hearing it as "gif" gets me.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I'm one of the few who say "jif". I have since about 1990, when I first learned what a friend said it stands for: General Image File.
I know NOW that it's not right, but it just stuck with me. It was several years before I learned it meant "graphics interchange format".
This is one of those rare instances were I refer to the pronunciation of the letter as if the acronym was not shortened from the original form.

Just hearing it as "gif" gets me.