Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 PM
The recipe thread

If you have food recipe that you have tried or found that you wanna share post it here.

Death by chocolate

Ingredients
1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 2/3 cups milk
3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
6 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate covered toffee bars, frozen and crushed

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan.
Mix cake batter according to package directions, adding water, oil, and eggs as directed. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven until a tester comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool and crumble. Make pudding, according to package directions, with milk.
In a large trifle or other glass serving bowl, place half of the crumbled cake. Pour half of the coffee over the cake, and spread half of the pudding over that. Top with half of the whipped topping, sprinkled with half the crumbled candy bars. Repeat layers in the same order. Refrigerate until serving.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 PM
I can't cook

Thats one thing on my to do list this year is to learn at least some basic stuff like how to cook a steak. I feel like such a nancy not knowing how to cook manly foods.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
I can't cook

Thats one thing on my to do list this year is to learn at least some basic stuff like how to cook a steak. I feel like such a nancy not knowing how to cook manly foods.

hamburger helper is a good place to start.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 PM
That Death by Chocolate looks SO good athf1980! I'm going to copy that and make it for my birthday next month (lol yeah that's my life these days).

Yummy.

Echo, if you make Hamburger Helper, just replace the noodles with whole grain noodles you can buy separate. You can turn it into a much healthier meal that way. They sell those whole grain noodles by the spaghetti makings and they come in a box.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 AM
thanks for the tips guys. Really appreciate it.

Lately I've just been making myself sandwiches or eating raw foods(fruits & veggies)
but I need to get around to start cooking on my own. Its beyond embarrassing
Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:

Lately I've just been making myself sandwiches or eating raw foods(fruits & veggies)

your welcome
Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
I can't cook

Get a cast iron skillet. Watch for meat to get to red, pink, or dark color you like. Enjoy.

Toss a couple of baked potatoes in the oven for an hour. GOD DAMN now you've got the manly cooking down.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:

This isn't so bad. It's healthier. I stick to chicken, pork, & salmon for meat and red meat every now and then if I'm in the mood. But get some seasoning, veggies, have two pans going at once, just watch the meat for the color you like. Get a thermometer if you want.

But my old roommate was a foodie and loved cooking...I've lost over 20 pounds since I moved out in December.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Is their a manlier food than Chilli? Probably not. Plus, it's pretty easy to make and extremely customizable. Here's how I do it:

2 pounds ground beef
2 cans of diced tomatoes
2 cans of beans (I do one can chilli beans, one can red kidney beans)
1 pack of chilli seasoning
1 whole onion
1 whole bell pepper
1 pack of bacon pieces (the kind used for salads)
1 head of cilantro
1 jalapeno

This makes a lot of chilli - enough to feed four-six people, or have lots of leftovers. And aside from the meat/beans/tomatoes, you can customize the ingredients any way you want. Add more jalapenos for hotter chilli, or less. You can add just about any vegetable you want, or add other types of meat. Find something you like and experiment.

First, brown the ground beef in a frying pan. Be sure and stir it up so than it gets broken down into small pieces. Drain the grease and put it in a big cooking pot. Stir in the chilli seasoning. They all taste the same to me, but I usually use Williams original brand. Then add the cans of tomatoes (do not drain excess juices) and beans (drain the beans first, otherwise the chilli will be too thin). Chop up the vegetables as you like them - I prefer them to be diced pretty fine (use a Slap Chop device, especially for the onion), but if you like big chunks, then don't cut them up too much. Cut the stems off the cilantro and chop up the leaves - you only use the leaves, not the stems. Add the bacon pieces, stir it all up and let it simmer for at least thirty minutes.

And that's it. It may seem like a lot of elements, but just go step by step and it's really easy.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 AM
This recipe for Cheesecake comes from Allrecipes.com. I've made it several times for people and everyone loves it. Definitely not a healthy recipe though. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to put a link. You can search for it on there - it has really high ratings.

Chantal’s New York Cheesecake

15 graham crackers, crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto bottom of springform pan.
3. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.