Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 AM
People that don't tip should die in an AIDS fire

Did an advanced search for "tipping" but didn't come up with anything. I could of sworn jackson started a thread in this forum on tipping.
Oh well I'll start a thread regarding this.

So I do sales at a hotel and on my down time I love to shoot the shit with my co workers especially the shuttler driver. He works long hours and does a great job and even does part time maintentance work for us. Really nice guy too.
Well anyways, its the second day in a row where a number of people didnt tip him. This is starting to really piss me off cause he has a wife & a couple of kids to take care. Tips really help him out a lot but the last couple of days(hell the last week or so) he's been getting stiffed. And he's not just taking these people to a place a minute away either. He takes these assholes to the airport(20 to 30 minute drive depending on traffic), to the malls, to the hospitals for their appointments, to the bars & restaurants etc etc.

This one group of younger women all stiffed him when he took them to the downtown area. There were 4 of them and you mean to tell me these cunts couldnt each give like a dollar to him????

Then there were these rude women from New York who he took to the airport and of course what do ya know, they fuckin stiff him.

The worst though is the European assholes that stay at my hotel. They dont even realize that tipping is customary in the States. I really want to tell them "Listen you Euro trash cocksuckers, in 'merica we fuckin tip! You're not in France anymore dbags!" He constantly gets stiffed by Europeans all the time. But being the nice guy that he is, he takes it all in stride. Doesnt seem to bother him one bit.

Oh well what can you do.

Anyways fellow schmoes, do you tip well? Or are you a stingy ahole with your money?
I at least tip 20 to 25% if the service was decent. 30% or more if the service was great and if the bartender/waitress had nice tits.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM
I try to tip well . . . particularly waiters and waitresses. I don't care if my order was screwed up or even if the food isn't that good. If the service was good, they were kind and not rude, I'll give them a good tip (20%-25%). Especially if something was screwed up and they appeared remorseful about it and did a good job of fixing the issue.

Honestly, I usually don't think about tipping shuttle drivers - mostly because I don't take too many shuttles. The last time was last year on a business trip to Vegas. It was simply from the airport and back; but I'll consider it the next I take a shuttle to and/or from somewhere.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM
and then theres this story. Some racist piece of shit left a racist rant voicemail to this black guy's voicemail cause he gave "only" a 21% tip. Uhhhh wow.

Good luck finding another job you fucking prick.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular
Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
and then theres this story. Some racist piece of shit left a racist rant voicemail to this black guy's voicemail cause he gave "only" a 21% tip. Uhhhh wow.

Good luck finding another job you fucking prick.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular
That story was messed up. I would have been ECSTATIC for a 5 dollar tip on a pizza delivery back when I worked as a driver in college. Obviously the guy was just a racist scumbag.

Having said that, I feel like many in the service industry feel far too entitled to a good tip. If you are doing the bare minimum required then you are going to get a bare minimum tip. I have worked in that industry before too and I can say from my own experience that people who complain the most about tips were generally the laziest people working there. Just my own 2 cents. I never had that much of an issue with tips. For every person who tipped nothing, there was someone who tipped extra so it all worked out in the end.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 PM
I have a brother and sister who work in the service industry, so I ALWAYS tip.

Speaking of my siblings; they always tell me these stories of bad tippers and some of them make me want to punch people. Like there are particular people who purposely try to run their servers ragged just for their entertainment. And they know which ones they can do it to as well, any newbs are potential victims. And then at the end of it all:stiffed on the tip. My sister caught sight of this one shift where some lady kept sending her server back and forth for dip and complaining about each one, once again sending him back to the kitchen multiple times. My sister caught this and alerted the lady that the next dips she requested would be charged to her bill. Shut down.

Also church groups are notorious for not tipping. You saw that viral pic of the pastor who wrote on her receipt about why she should tip 18% when she tithes less to God at mass? Yeah, that's not an anomaly. Every Sunday when some Baptist church group would come to my sister's restaurant after mass and take over like 3-4 tables, without fail: bad attitudes and bad tippers. IF they even tipped at all. Every other server whom I have ever met complains how cheap the church groups are.

Its amazing how many people are unaware of the rule: Be nice to the people who handle the FOOD YOU EAT.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm usually a high tipper. I rarely give less than $5, even if the meal itself is $10. Usually I give between 20% and 25%. For food delivery, I give between $3 and $5 depending on how much I have on me.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Must be a cultural thing, but in New Zealand, where I live, tipping is an uncommon practice.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM
$5 on a $10 meal is excessive. I tend to leave 25% as a rule. If the service is horrid, I dont really care what the cost was - the tip is $1-2. And I agree entirely with BigRed. We're not tipping the chef per se, so if the service is excellent and the food was still mediocre or even pretty blah - I will still give about 25%.

My father taught me to tip well and I always have. Even when I was still a high school student. You should tip well, because as ass backwards as it is (as pointed out by SS-Block) they still need it to get by in 9/10 cases.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
$5 on a $10 meal is excessive.
I know it's a bit much but I feel like leaving the normal amount (15-20%) is too low on a $10 bill. My mom worked as a hostess/waitress when she was in college and she's always taught me to be generous to servers. Even if the server is having a bad day, that kind of tip might make their day; after all, you never know WHY a server isn't doing a great job, so assume you can make their day better, even a little. It's funny because I probably won't like someone if they're rude to servers.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM
I always tip 25% if the servers are friendly and come by enough.

One thing that has stuck with me ever since I was a teenager is when my little brother was working as a busboy at a nice restaurant and he would have to fill water at the tables. I remember him telling my mom after the first week that "most people don't even say thank you." I've always carried that with me no matter how animated the conversation is going on at the table, I take notice every time the servers or bus boys do anything to make our eating experience better and I thank them.

A girlfriend and I had our own housekeeping business for 7 years and nothing made us feel better than some acknowledgment of our work, be it through tips or kind word.

Kind words don't pay bills though, so if you do a good job I'm going to tip well.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 PM
To add my actual trade in life was as a hair stylist and people generally tipped well but every so often there would be people who didn't tip at all and it does feel like a kick in the gut. That was rare though.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Must be a cultural thing, but in New Zealand, where I live, tipping is an uncommon practice.
That's probably because servers in NZ get a salary and not barely minimum wage. Which is economic, not cultural. UNless screwing working stiffs has become the American culture?......
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
That's probably because servers in NZ get a salary and not barely minimum wage. Which is economic, not cultural. UNless screwing working stiffs has become the American culture?......
Maybe, but yeah most servers in NZ do get barely minimum wage, but ours is probably larger than the US.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
I remember him telling my mom after the first week that "most people don't even say thank you." I've always carried that with me no matter how animated the conversation is going on at the table, I take notice every time the servers or bus boys do anything to make our eating experience better and I thank them.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Maybe, but yeah most servers in NZ do get barely minimum wage, but ours is probably larger than the US.
Fun fact for the day: They get far less than minimum wage.

(Because they are a "tipped employee". =(
Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to side with Mr. Pink on this issue: Tipping is bullshit. Or should I say, the cultural institution of mandatory tipping is bullshit. I don't tip the guy who changes my oil, installs my cable, or finds a book for me at a bookstore, so why should anyone else get a tip just for doing their job? Even if they do it well? I do my job well and I don't expect a tip, and, honestly, I get a little embarrassed when someone says "keep the change" when all I did was sell them a freaking Coke.

Now, I'm not saying I don't tip at a restaurant, because I do. But tipping 20-25%? Fuck that.

As for the whole "These people work hard/they don't get full pay" argument. First of all, lots of people work hard. Deal with it. Second of all, restaurants have to pay their staff at least minimum wage, and if their tips don't cover that, then the business has to make up the difference. Sorry, but waiting tables is essentially a minimum wage job, not a career. No one feels sorry for the people manning the counter at McDonald's, but everyone has a bleeding heart for waitstaff. I don't get it.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 AM
While I dont think tipping should be mandontory I would definitely encourage it.

The servers I do not feel sorry for are the ones that work at 5 star restaurants. Those people make an absolute killing in tips. One of my buddies quit his desk job to get this waiter job at this 5 star restaurant in a big city. He was telling me that each person's meal is normally 75 bucksand he said gets a lot of money from tips which I believe.

I do feel for the servers that work at shit restaurants like Applebees or Chillis. They probably dont make anything in tips.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Mr. Pink had some points, but so did Monty from Waiting . . .:

"Don't fuck with people that handle your food."
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 AM
I am known to leave tips that actually are so high, the places I regularly go to seem uncomfortable at my generosity. They actually ask me to NOT give so much sometimes lol

Here in Korea, it's not common to tip. I still offer a tip every once in a while in areas that are not heavily populated by foreigners, but they usually just shake their head with a smile and refuse. I have to do it properly, meaning I show the tip with an open hand and make sure it doesn't seem like I'm ONLY tipping him/her. If I shake their hand and put the money in their hand, they will think I'm doing it on the sly and it's akin to implying a subverted act. That's terribly, TERRIBLY rude.

Also, to give a tip is often times seen as an affront to workers here. It's like saying, "Here, take this money because I know you don't make much as it is, and I make more than you so here's my way of showing off."
Quote:
The worst though is the European assholes that stay at my hotel. They dont even realize that tipping is customary in the States.
I understand you're venting, but it's not like it's always easy knowing exactly what to do and how when being a tourist.
If you work in a job that relies on tips, yes, it sucks when someone from another country doesn't tip.
It's good to understand the policy in the country you go to, but being that tipping is not a "customary" thing in say, New Zealand, it's not something they understand or possibly even THINK about when going to America.

That's like going to Vietnam as an American tourist and wondering why Vietnamese people are pissed at you for putting your feet on a footstool in front of them. You don't show the bottom of your feet to other people, it's rude.

Or if you use a toothpick, you are picking your teeth without using your other hand to cover your mouth. Also rude.

But would you THINK to learn this before going there? No, probably not.

Quote:
I really want to tell them "Listen you Euro trash cocksuckers, in 'merica we fuckin tip! You're not in France anymore dbags!"
Another elitist comment that gives Americans a bad image. Not everyone on these boards is from the U.S., and I am embarrassed when I meet Americans in another country who think that because something is the way they know it to be in their hometown or country that it's the way it should be when you go to someone else's.
It's a learning curve, and I would wager that a decent percentage (perhaps half) just don't think about it or know how important it is. There are countless reasons for someone not tipping, and at least a few of those reasons are justifiable.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:47 PM
People who rely on tips shouldn't get mad at their customers. They should get mad at their employers for exploited laws that allow them to pay shitty wages.

I believe Oregon, and maybe a couple other states, outlawed the whole $2.14 an hour bullshit. Turns out restaurants can still do business even if they have to pay their employees real wages.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 PM
BTW, what's an "AIDS fire"?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
People who rely on tips shouldn't get mad at their customers. They should get mad at their employers for exploited laws that allow them to pay shitty wages.

I believe Oregon, and maybe a couple other states, outlawed the whole $2.14 an hour bullshit. Turns out restaurants can still do business even if they have to pay their employees real wages.
Thats the business I was referring to actually. $2.14 is "tipped employee" min. wage across 98% of the nation so...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
BTW, what's an "AIDS fire"?
The worst kind of fire.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Quote:

You do realize that theNational Restaurant Association (the 10th most powerful lobby in Congress of which Herman Cain was a member of) has actively worked to maintain the minimum server wage at $2.14 for 20 years? These are same people who got pizza classified as a vegetable (rolling eyes) and allowed Congress to raise the national minimum wage as long as they didn't change the server minimum wage. Since servers don't have a union, how pray-tell do they fight against this particular lobby? They can't, its just certain states or cities who have enough wherewithal to say "That's bullshit. We need to correct this."

But the majority of states, which are the average, maintain $2.14.

Last edited by electriclite; 05-30-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Old 05-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post

Another elitist comment that gives Americans a bad image. Not everyone on these boards is from the U.S., and I am embarrassed when I meet Americans in another country who think that because something is the way they know it to be in their hometown or country that it's the way it should be when you go to someone else's.
It's a learning curve, and I would wager that a decent percentage (perhaps half) just don't think about it or know how important it is. There are countless reasons for someone not tipping, and at least a few of those reasons are justifiable.
Sorry didnt mean to offend but come on, if you're visiting another country I suggest you read up on that country as much as possible so you dont end up looking like a jackass.

And dont you think your statement should apply to Europeans as well?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Quote:
These are same people who got pizza classified as a vegetable
lol wut.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
People who rely on tips shouldn't get mad at their customers... actually I don't know who they should get mad at because I don't make such broad sweeping statements like that because everyone's life is different.

btw someone should get candy corn classified as a vegetable.

Last edited by creekin111; 05-31-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Sorry didnt mean to offend but come on, if you're visiting another country I suggest you read up on that country as much as possible so you dont end up looking like a jackass.

And dont you think your statement should apply to Europeans as well?
Don't worry, I know you didn't mean to offend.

As far as reading up on another country's culture and customs... yes, that IS highly recommended, but of course Americans are one of the most notorious for NOT doing this.
It's just as frustrating when people from other countries also fail to do the same coming to the U.S.

But for some, this tipping issue is an honest oversight. I would say a fair portion don't really have an excuse, though.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 PM
If this aids fire were a reality I would have been burned in it a long while ago but maybe not do you mean one should burn if they don't tip once or not at all. Some days I'm like Mr. Pink and then some days I want to know how it feels to leave a giant hundred dollar tip for a waitress. AND NO I'm not looking for anything in return.

My stance changes depending on the situation.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
lol wut.
Didnt you hear? The United States court system officially declared pizza as a vegetable.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45306416/n.../#.UargN2TVv6w
Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Old 06-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Old 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Didnt you hear? The United States court system officially declared pizza as a vegetable.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45306416/n.../#.UargN2TVv6w
Hahahaha. Nice.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I try to tip AT LEAST 15% regardless of the service, unless it's especially horrible for some reason. 20%-25% only if it's, like, I don't know, a really hot girl.

I never really gave much thought to it but then I worked at a restaurant and got an idea of how it worked. As far as my experiences there went, and as far as it is in Canada (not sure if it's different in the States), the servers worked quite a bit below the standard minimum wage to have the right to their tips, and have to give 15% of their total tips to the restaurant itself. Essentially the waiters are renting out a certain amount of tables for their shifts. So let's say for an 8 hour shift, someone's busting their ass to serve their customers, and during the whole time, not a single person tips, they're making significantly less money than a person who works in a job where tipping isn't expected. So in some senses it's a gamble.

But my general philosophy is that if you don't have the money to tip, or don't "believe" in tipping, don't fucking utilize services where it's expected.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Okay. Let's try to be clear on this: No one is making less than minimum wage. The 2.14/hr is the base pay, plus tips.

Federal Minimum Wage

As of 2011, the federal minimum wage for wait staff is $2.13 per hour plus tips, and the general federal minimum wage rate is $7.25. If the total of your tips plus your hourly base rate do not equal at least the federal minimum of $7.25 per hour your employer must make up the difference. In addition, your employer may not classify you as a tipped employee if you receive less than $30 in tips per month. If you do not qualify for tipped employee classification, the minimum amount your employer can pay you is $7.25 per hour.

(link)

Quote:
You do realize that theNational Restaurant Association (the 10th most powerful lobby in Congress of which Herman Cain was a member of) has actively worked to maintain the minimum server wage at $2.14 for 20 years? These are same people who got pizza classified as a vegetable (rolling eyes) and allowed Congress to raise the national minimum wage as long as they didn't change the server minimum wage. Since servers don't have a union, how pray-tell do they fight against this particular lobby? They can't, its just certain states or cities who have enough wherewithal to say "That's bullshit. We need to correct this."

But the majority of states, which are the average, maintain $2.14.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I am a pro-labor, libby-lib-liberal, and I think this system is bullshit. A certain political ideology in this country has been doing everything in their power to crush the rights of workers for decades, and they've succeeded. If there was half as much outcry over worker's rights in this country as there was for gun rights and the rights of unborn fetuses, we might actually get somewhere.

That said... I fucking hate hidden fees, and that's how I view the expectation of mandatory tips.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 PM
This thread belongs on another forum but I can't seem to think of exactly where... hmmm...
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Quote:

Agreed. There's just something fundamentally fucked up about having to pay someone extra for doing the job they were hired to do. This is, to the best of my knowledge, the only industry where such a concept exists. So what makes the restaurant business so goddamn special? If it's purely food costs, I wouldn't mind paying extra for a meal if I knew I wouldn't also have to be paying part of the server's wages in the process.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Agreed. There's just something fundamentally fucked up about having to pay someone extra for doing the job they were hired to do. This is, to the best of my knowledge, the only industry where such a concept exists. So what makes the restaurant business so goddamn special? If it's purely food costs, I wouldn't mind paying extra for a meal if I knew I wouldn't also have to be paying part of the server's wages in the process.
Yeah, you're basically subsidizing the restaurant industry's power to not have to pay their servers more than $2.14/hr.

Most other places in the industrialized world either don't take tips (because they get a salary), or give you back some of your money if you over tip them.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM
So there are reportedly, 3 restaurants, in the whole of the US that have eliminated tipping.... because it actually pays its servers a salary.

NYC Sushi Yasuda Eliminates Tipping

Quote:
American eaters, unlike their Europe counterparts, are long accustomed to voluntarily adding 18-20% to any dinner bill to compensate the wait staff for their services. But one New York City restaurant has put an end to that. The critically-acclaimed Sushi Yasuda, a 14-year old Japanese restaurant in Midtown Manhattan, eliminated tipping last month and raised its menu prices to reflect that development, owner Scott Rosenberg tells The Price Hike.

Here’s what guests now see on menus and receipts:

“Following the custom in Japan, Sushi Yasuda’s service staff are fully compensated by their salary. Therefore gratuities are not accepted. Thank you.”

Rosenberg suggests Yasuda might be the only U.S. restaurant with such a policy. He might be right. (Update: Turns out there’s at least one more.)*. A variety of ambitious American eateries like Alinea, Next, Atera and Brooklyn Fare already add automatic service charges as part of their pre-paid dining systems. But Yasuda’s move is closer to the European-style system adopted by Thomas Keller’s Per Se in 2005, where all prices are reflective of service, a policy Keller implemented to help correct the income disparity between cooks and wait staff, per this New York Times piece.

What’s different with Per Se is that there’s still a line on the receipt for additional gratuity for those who wish to leave it. “We felt that approach really didn’t make sense,” Rosenberg said. “We felt it was cumbersome and confusing.” As such, Yasuda does not have a space on its receipt for any gratuity.

“We just take tipping out of the equation,” he says.

How have customers reacted? After a bit of initial surprise among regular guests, “they don’t think twice about it,” says Rosenberg, who’s seen no change in customer volumes since the changeover. One gentleman, per Rosenberg, quipped that he’d now order 20% more sushi now that tipping is no longer required.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 PM
I have never had a tip.