Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Canadians, tell me about your country

I know we have some forum members north of the border, and I'd be very interested in hearing some more about your fine country. Long story short, within 12 months time I will probably be moving back to the New England area where I grew up but I'm not married to staying in the US. I've been to Toronto a couple of times and loved it, and I DO love hockey. Basically, I will go where I have to and luckily, freelance writing and marketing/graphic design is pretty mobile and needed in most metros, but a Northeastern city IS my requirement.

I'm a stoner, I'm very liberal socially and independent/slight conservative fiscally, (this feels like a dating profile), and I loathe American consumerism (yet I can do quite well exploiting it in my advertising pursuits) but love TV and film.

So, northerners, would it be a good fit? What are some better resources than wikipedia to do some research? I'd love to make my city search Philly, NYC, Boston, Toronto, maybe Montreal?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM
This will probably be your best resource: http://www.city-data.com/forum/canada/

very helpful forums in general - this is a direct link to their Canada board.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I have used that site to look into Pittsburgh and some other cities, so I'll definitely give that a look. I've heard good things about Montreal as well. I basically want to live in a metro that is big on public transport, culture and marketing, in a place that's pretty lax about me being a stoner and a place I can watch the Flyers

I'm not as scared of Canadian political and economic policies as most Americans, it seems, though I do need to research them more, admittedly, because my deal-breaker is wherever I live and work, not falling behind on student loan payments is #1 priority.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Well I certainly like it here.

As for the American consumerism thing, we also have pretty much exactly that.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Well I certainly like it here.

As for the American consumerism thing, we also have pretty much exactly that.
I figure most well-established countries but there's a very American attitude about it, at least prominently where I currently reside, that has just worn me absolutely thin haha.

And I like to hope there are countries who aren't so quickly turning into a police state.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 PM
I've never been to Canada but I know some of my friends worked there for a couple of years.

One of my friends was a pharmacy sales rep and had a starting salary of 75,000 dollars. He now lives in California.

Another friend of mine who lives in Denver now watched pipes for a living. I'm not kidding. His job was to watch water pipes for 8 to 10 hours and make sure they were running fine. He made almost 40,000 dollars a year doing that haha.

Living in Canada would be a double edge sword imo. On one hand, you make more money but on the other hand everything is more expensive.

Anyway I hope everything works out for ya sean! Oh and yes Canada is VERY weed friendly so thats a plus
Old 06-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 PM

^^^
haha
Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Wanting to live like T & P is definitely a big factor in my desire to explore the possibility of moving north of the border lol.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 AM
If you're looking for avenues with freelance/hired writing or designing, Toronto is your best bet. I have two friends and a brother working as graphic/web designers here. Toronto is a hub of talent; you'd have a blast here.

Toronto has its issues at the moment though; our mayor (allegedly, but more than likely) smoking crack, provincial funding being cut, our mayor is a fat loaf, transit issues, traffic problems, our mayor treats city council like a playhouse...but on the bright side, there's dozens of smoker stores in the downtown
Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
If you're looking for avenues with freelance/hired writing or designing, Toronto is your best bet. I have two friends and a brother working as graphic/web designers here. Toronto is a hub of talent; you'd have a blast here.

Toronto has its issues at the moment though; our mayor (allegedly, but more than likely) smoking crack, provincial funding being cut, our mayor is a fat loaf, transit issues, traffic problems, our mayor treats city council like a playhouse...but on the bright side, there's dozens of smoker stores in the downtown
Vong, appreciate the input, as other posters. I also need to research the actual taxation codes and income brackets because like I said, unfortunately, my obscene amount of student debt is top priority.

That's awesome about your friends and brother! That's exactly my field. I'm almost done with my master's degree in Marketing Communications and I've self-taught myself graphic design, web design, and coding over the last 5+ years. I currently manage the digital marketing for two decently-sized small businesses and am definitely trying to build as big of a portfolio as I can over the next 9-12 months and then exploring my avenues to move to a much more developed metro than where I currently live.

Last edited by xseanymacx; 06-23-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 AM
So I've started breaking down the tax and out-of-pocket comparisons between the two and it appears that for my specific situation, I am getting my ass handed to me in take-home pay, LOL. So, this appears to be a rough breakdown for a single male in his mid-late 20's, renter, and will probably be in the 38/40K-50K income range for the next 3-5 years.

American, what I'm currently forking out at my 35,000 salary (Can't wait to have this damn master's degree in hand):

15% federal income tax right now, but any pay raise I get moving forward in the states, will immediately launch me into 25% federal.
State income tax.
Social Security.
Medicare. (SS & Medicare combine for 6%)
Out-of-pocket health insurance.

As is, on these alone, I'm at about 28-30% of my salary. Obviously, if I do get a pay raise in the states and no addition of health insurance (hopefully the company will be looking at this in 6 months or so), I'll be at 35-40% of my total salary, EASY, just on these.

Canadian, from what I've read so far:

15% national income tax until 43K, then up to 22% 43K-87K)
Provincial income tax.
4.95% for the CPP.
Healthcare is covered.

Also assuming that rental rates in and around Toronto are comparable to my desired metro areas stateside, my individual tax situation appears far, far, far better north of the border, financially.

From what I've gathered so far.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Rent up here is pretty nasty. The more downtown you are, the higher the rent/rates are. That being said though, with recent residential developments in the core, prices will be dropping.

There are specific areas alittle ways north along Yonge Street that have far better rates. If you're ever deciding on coming up here, look up apartments and condos near Yonge and Eglington. My brother and his girlfriend have been living near there for 3 years, and they are comfortable with what they have.

As far as income tax rates, there not too bad. There are numerous income tax rebates and benefits that can help improve your return.

Healthcare isn't totally covered, at least in Ontario. Basic medical (check-ups, hospital visits) are covered under OHIP. But anything beyond that comes at a price: prescription drugs, dental, eye-care...all out of your pocket if you don't have insurance through employment. Just make sure the company you work for offers you benefits in the ways of medical and dental.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
Rent up here is pretty nasty. The more downtown you are, the higher the rent/rates are. That being said though, with recent residential developments in the core, prices will be dropping.

There are specific areas alittle ways north along Yonge Street that have far better rates. If you're ever deciding on coming up here, look up apartments and condos near Yonge and Eglington. My brother and his girlfriend have been living near there for 3 years, and they are comfortable with what they have.

As far as income tax rates, there not too bad. There are numerous income tax rebates and benefits that can help improve your return.

Healthcare isn't totally covered, at least in Ontario. Basic medical (check-ups, hospital visits) are covered under OHIP. But anything beyond that comes at a price: prescription drugs, dental, eye-care...all out of your pocket if you don't have insurance through employment. Just make sure the company you work for offers you benefits in the ways of medical and dental.
Right on. When the year flips over I'll be looking a little more closely, really breaking things down to the penny, but I want as many possible options as I can. Thanks for your input vong!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm not from Canada but I have been there. I went to Winnipeg in 2004 for couple of wrestling shows. I went to a Raw there. The one where Ric Flair played musical chairs. and the smackdown taping the following night.