Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Author Richard Matheson (I Am Legend, Hell House, etc) dies, aged 87

Richard Matheson dies, aged 87

News | Den Of Geek | 24 Jun 2013 - 22:18

The man who wrote the likes of Duel, I Am Legend, Hell House and so much more has left us, at the age of 87.

We've got some sad news to report. Author and screenwriter Richard Matheson has died at the age of 87.

It's hard to know quite where to start when trying to get across just how much Matheson contributed to the world of science fiction. Amongst his novels were I Am Legend (filmed three times), The Shrinking Man, What Dreams May Come and Hell House. He also wrote many, many short stories, including the one that became one of Steven Spielberg's finest movies, Duel. Most recently, one of his short stories formed the basis of the film Real Steel.

Prolific across the big and small screen too (not least more than one contribution to The Twilight Zone), Matheson leaves behind an incredible collection of quality writing, that's had a signficant impact in the world of science fiction. His is survived by his wife and four children. Our thoughts are very much with them.

People are already sharing their favourite Richard Matheson works on Twitter, with the hashtag #RIPMatheson. There's quite a list to get through.

Rest in peace, Mr Matheson. And thank you.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/rich...n-dies-aged-87
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 PM
RIP!

Matheson is one of my favorite Sci-Fi/Horror authors of all time. It was just last night that I was discussing a few of his works (and subsequently the film adaptations theyve spawned) with a couple of friends.

This came out of the blue earlier today... He's going to be missed by many.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 AM
RIP to a very talented author. I enjoyed his contributions to Twilight Zone.

He lived a long great life and accomplished a lot during his time here on Earth.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM
RPI.

I loves his work. He will be missed.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 AM
R.I.P To a great writer
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
To this day, The Legend of Hell House, based on Matheson's novel Hell House, creeps me out even after decades of CGI gore and special effects. I read the book and some parts weren't filmed but it's a good read like much of Matheson's work.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 PM
RIP. Love the movie Duel (based off of his script).