Old 06-25-2013, 03:52 AM
Does anyone own a pet reptile?

I've been thinking about getting one. Either a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon. Both seem like they'd be cool pets but I cant decide which one to get. I've watched some youtube videos on them and how to take care of them. The Leopard Gecko seems like the easiest of the two. They are docile and friendly. Plus they dont eat as nearly as much as a bearded dragon. Holy shit I was watching one feeding video of an adult bearded dragon and he ate a shit ton of crickets, meal worms and even a small mouse. Not sure I could afford that.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 AM
Two of my favorite types of babies. =D

I truly adore reptiles. I have had 2 Water Dragons in my past. Back when they were rather misunderstood and what was told us was entirely incorrect. My baby Lizzy last 2 toes due to misinformation on diet (and she was really picky, we had to work hard at this - we tried fish, crickets, worms, etc.). Turns out the sweet babies need PINKY MICE. So we raised them. Crickets were treats. Fish were treats to the males (Male suiter).

My cousin owned a Leopard gecko (Speedy) and he was darling too. Ive always wanted a Ball Python. Theyre so beautiful.

Im down. Repitles are fuckin awesome.

EDIT: Yes, the Dragon will eat WAY more than the Gecko, hehe. He will go nuts on the worms, mice and crickets for treats, among other things (as aforementioned) depending on your critters' preferences. But the personalities are so amazing in dragons. Geckos dont have much in the way of companionship. Dragons are unique in that sense. Very neat animals.

Last edited by Inglorious; 06-25-2013 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: More Info
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 AM
Inhave a grass snake.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
Two of my favorite types of babies. =D

I truly adore reptiles. I have had 2 Water Dragons in my past. Back when they were rather misunderstood and what was told us was entirely incorrect. My baby Lizzy last 2 toes due to misinformation on diet (and she was really picky, we had to work hard at this - we tried fish, crickets, worms, etc.). Turns out the sweet babies need PINKY MICE. So we raised them. Crickets were treats. Fish were treats to the males (Male suiter).

My cousin owned a Leopard gecko (Speedy) and he was darling too. Ive always wanted a Ball Python. Theyre so beautiful.

Im down. Repitles are fuckin awesome.

EDIT: Yes, the Dragon will eat WAY more than the Gecko, hehe. He will go nuts on the worms, mice and crickets for treats, among other things (as aforementioned) depending on your critters' preferences. But the personalities are so amazing in dragons. Geckos dont have much in the way of companionship. Dragons are unique in that sense. Very neat animals.
Thanks for the quick reply Inglourious! I really appreciated it. Yeah I've read that geckos arent as great companions like bearded dragons. One of my friends had a bearded dragon that lived for a long time (well over 10 yrs) and he treated it like a dog since it thought it was a dog lol. He would love to petted and liked to be hand fed.
So I'm really torn on this one cause I love both breeds. I may flip a coin on it haha or pull the trigger and get a bearded dragon.

How big of a tank do you need for a bearded dragon btw? I know for leopard geckos its only like 10 to 15 gallons but bearded dragons require a bit more room I would think. Plus they need a place to bask.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM
We have 6 red-eared slider turtles.

Have had snakes, iguanas, and even scorpions as pets before.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Inglourious! I really appreciated it. Yeah I've read that geckos arent as great companions like bearded dragons. One of my friends had a bearded dragon that lived for a long time (well over 10 yrs) and he treated it like a dog since it thought it was a dog lol. He would love to petted and liked to be hand fed.
So I'm really torn on this one cause I love both breeds. I may flip a coin on it haha or pull the trigger and get a bearded dragon.

How big of a tank do you need for a bearded dragon btw? I know for leopard geckos its only like 10 to 15 gallons but bearded dragons require a bit more room I would think. Plus they need a place to bask.
Ive always been a fan of going and checking the critters out before deciding. You did your research so it now comes down to which you end up liking more. Its always good to check a few different shops, too. To make sure you get the healthiest creature and one that fits your wants.

Dragons like a big environment. Ive read that you can go too big and intimidate them, but I simply believe this to be untrue. The bigger the better as long as you keep it looking good for them. Dragons tend to like companions as well, so having two or more is never a bad thing.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Have owned snakes, turtles, tortoises, various amphibians, and exotic mammals since I was a kid. ...but I've never liked lizards. I've owned a few - iguanas, monitors - but have always ended up selling them.

No matter what you end up getting, just make sure you've done the necessary research. I always made sure that I had the enclosures for the animals fully finished and outfitted before purchasing the animal. Make sure to look up the right substrate, as certain animals have different preferences.

My personal favorite exotic pet I've had was a hedgehog, but if you're certain that you want a reptile, I've found that the tortoises tended to have the most 'personality', and that snakes are the easiest to care for. Aquatic turtles tend to be the most interesting to watch. The only amphibians that I cared for for any considerable amount of time before releasing them were some poison arrow frogs that I had purchased. They were beautiful, but a pain in the ass, as they required standing water which had to be changed quite often due to the poison from their skin seeping into the water.

Anyway, kind of just rambled off some stories, but my ultimate point is to make sure that you do all the necessary research before choosing one of these animals as pets, and make sure that you give them the respect that they deserve. I've had a few snakes latch onto me when I went to drop their meal into the terrarium (once by a corn snake, the other time a 9 ft. Burmese python that I kept in my closet snagged my calve).

Here's a good place to start with the bearded dragons:

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/lizar...deddragons.htm

I personally wouldn't recommend a gecko if you've never owned a reptile before. They can be a bit wily.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I've had several reptiles in the past. Not really a conventional pet, but they are a lot of fun in the right environment. Diet is a big consideration for them, since a lot of times they eat live feeders. The largest of my reptiles was a savannah monitor. This thing ate bugs, mice, worms, and so on. The main issue was he didn't get along with other pets (in particular my dog), so he was stressed a lot. We found him a new home, where he grew and began to eat rats. The new owners built a 24 foot enclosure and he loved it.

I've had turtles (watch for salmonella on them...they need bathed regularly) and lizards, all of whom were great pets. Diet and habitat are both big factors for these animals as they need warmth, places to hide and in many cases live food.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
I really appreciate all the feed back. Sometime this weekend or next week I'll probably pull the trigger and get a bearded dragon. They seem like they'd make a better and more interesting pet than a lizard.

And jeo, yeah I've had turtles growing up and I'd never get one ever again. They are filthy and you have to clean their tanks constantly (or at least I had to)
Old 06-29-2013, 02:10 AM
I really dig Failsafe's advice and I more or less tried to convey similar sentiments regarding these beautiful creatures. However I feel its a matter of one's personal personality that actually leads someone to relate to the particular critter. So while one person might not relate to a snake so much; or a turtle, another might truly treasure the personality that baby conveys.

Geckos (depending on species) can be very wily... hes right. But Leopard geckos are quite small and easily taken care of. It sounds like youre truly leaning toward the Dragon. Cant blame ya, theyre amazing animals. I assure you they can be great companions (with everything prior being considered) and can also be quite loyal. Its hard to read them sometimes though, that can lead to misunderstood stress from unknown stressors.

You dont want to mess up a Dragon's diet or environment though. As stated in one of my earlier posts they have individual tastes/preferences as well as needs during certain stages of development. Messing any of these things up can have dire consequences, and many/most can be life-threatening.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Did you snag a pet?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
I would think about getting a vegan reptile or an insectivore. The only snake I would get is a rough green snake who would eat insects. I know other snakes would eat "fuzzies" in the wild, but I've got an issue with throwing in some little baby mice. I saw some youtube videos that didn't sit right with me. I could feed the snake older rodents who had the prime of the life. Idk. In general, reptiles take specific knowledge and care that I don't have. I would have to research it and learn from those with experience. And then there's what Jeo said about it living with other pets.
Once again, depends on the type. Most of my critters have eaten what we call pinkies (baby, baby mice). We ended up raising many of them as pets too, because I fell in love with them. But that is life. We eat other animals, and so do they. We raise live stock, and we sort of raised our pets' live stock in a way, too.

Still, we had like 10 mice that became pets, had names and were played with and adored just because I wanted them to become such.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Alive. And Ill be honest, its not always a pretty sight if they will feed in front of you. I would personally never harm another animal and even rarely kill a bug. It is their way of life though. Just as I eat animals, again... so do they.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
Did you snag a pet?
Not yet ugh. Just been insanely busy working a lot and doing other stuff so I haven't had time. BUT I will soon. And I think I'm set on getting a bearded dragon.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Not yet ugh. Just been insanely busy working a lot and doing other stuff so I haven't had time. BUT I will soon. And I think I'm set on getting a bearded dragon.
Awesome. Let us know when it happens. And you take care of that guy/gal. They require a lot of care and stimulation from their owner. Dragons are the dogs/cats of the reptile world, hehe.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:58 PM
A couple things:

I used to own a bearded dragon and she lasted for several years. They're extremely easy to take care of, and have some of the best personalities in the reptilian world (next to chameleons...more on that later).

Taking care of a bearded dragon might seem like a lot of work, but once you get a routine, you'll be golden. Obviously, as babies, they'll eat extremely small crickets, dependent on size, mini worms. It's usually a good idea to purchase a high calcium/high vitamin powder to "dust" the insects with. Think of the beardie as your baby...you'll want to provide it with as many vitamins and nutrients as it grows (and can actually expedite the growing process). Usually this powder will last a really long time, so don't worry about constantly having to purchase new products. As your beardie grows, obviously you'll be buying bigger crickets (the purchase of a small plastic terrarium is a necessity - about $6-$10). Make sure you have a big enough terrarium if you plan on buying in bulk as crickets can be cannibalistic when in a small enough space. Also, make sure to keep a piece of egg carton and some "cricket food," which can be purchased at the pet store, in the terrarium. Also, another couple great foods beardies love are romaine lettuce blends (NEVER get iceburg - no nutrients), mango (my beardie loved it anyway), and banana. It also doesn't hurt to dust some of the nutrient powder discussed earlier on these foods.

Bathing your bearded dragon is also something they all like. Just get a small pan and fill it with warm water. No soap is necessary as it could get the beardie sick. To clean it, just use a soft bristled toothbrush and "massage" the beardie, getting all of that dirt and such off of it. 8 out of 10 times, this will relax the beardie to the point of it crapping in the water, to which you'll obviously have to change the water. Take care to make the sure the water stays warm as reptiles are cold-blooded and can't control their body temperature. Also, make sure water doesn't get into your beardies ears (even though it might happen anyway).

Make sure you hold your beardie to get it accustomed to human contact. While it's a baby, it shouldn't be an issue whatsoever...but if you don't hold it until it becomes a juvenile/adult...that's when things could get tricky.

Hope all of this helps!

Me, on the other hand am in your exact same predicament: I'm toying with the idea of getting another beardie (tigerstripe-sandfire cross - example pictured below) or a panther chameleon (2 examples pictured below). I love both types of reptiles and have had both (a veiled chameleon instead of a panther chameleon).

Yeah, pretty fucking awesome.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 AM
The one fucking time I had to babysit lizards for a week they died within a day. I swear the family must've overfed them before they left or something. I was so pissed. lol They didn't seem to blame me so probably something like that happened.