Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Paula Deen fired from the Food Network and loses a bunch of sponsors

GOOD. Fuck this bitch. I know she apologized and all but you can't be saying racist shit like that (especially using the N word).

Now it turns out that Walmart, Target, QVC and some other companies all dropped her. Haha bitch!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular
Old 06-28-2013, 09:48 AM
I haven't been following the story that closely, but she used the N word like 30 years ago? Seems like people are overreacting to me.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I haven't been following the story that closely, but she used the N word like 30 years ago? Seems like people are overreacting to me.
actually from what I've heard it was much more recent at one of her restaurants she owns in Georgia. Some of the staff members (who are black) complained about it.

Anyways I'm just glad the Food Network kicked her shitty show off the air.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM

Last edited by Georgie Boy; 08-06-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Paula!

Come on Paula...I know you are from the South..but you are also among the mass media of "famous people"..so no matter what you say or do, people/media will take notice. (plus saying the N word is wrong)
Her cooking career is gone...you dont say things like that and get sponsors back...If we see her again after things settle, it wont be as a cook...but I dont think people care too much, specially considering what she did.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:11 AM
I think people overreact way too fucking much. 27 years ago. 20-fucking-7. People need to let it the fuck go.

Sure, what she said was bad and all, but is this really what America is shitting their pants over now? Ugh. Sometimes, I worry about this nation and it's people. We have much important shit to worry than one racist orange-colored sable-haired lady.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clever guy View Post
I think people overreact way too fucking much. 27 years ago. 20-fucking-7. People need to let it the fuck go.

Sure, what she said was bad and all, but is this really what America is shitting their pants over now? Ugh. Sometimes, I worry about this nation and it's people. We have much important shit to worry than one racist orange-colored sable-haired lady.

She actually said it back in 2007:

"I want a true southern plantation-style wedding." When asked what type of uniforms the servers should wear, Paula stated, "well what I would really like is a bunch of little n*ggers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around"

Here's the full listing of alleged wrongdoings by Dean and certain members of her family:

Black staff had to use the back entrance to enter and leave restaurant;

Black staff could only use one bathroom;

Black staff couldn’t work the front of the restaurants;

Brother Bubba stated his wishes: “ I wish I could put all those n*ggers in the kitchen on a boat to Africa”;

Bubba asked a black driver and security guard "don’t you wish you could rub all the black off you and be like me? You just look dirty; I bet you wish you could." The guy told Bubba he was fine as is;

Bubba on President Obama: they should send him to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, so he could n*gger-rig it;

He shook an employee (Black again) and said” F your civil rights…you work for me and my sister Paula Deen;

Paula’s son Jaime's best friend managed the Lady & Sons restaurant. He threatened to fire all the 'Monkeys' in the kitchen. When Paula found out…she slapped him on the wrist and suggested that the employee visited Paula's $13,000,000 mansion so he felt special and could be massaged.

And that's just the racial stuff. I agree about people making a big deal out of her just saying nigger. The complainant also lists labor violations and sexual harassment incidents as well. But everyone is just focusing on the fact that she said nigger and that's all she's "apologizing" for. The media needs to expand their criticisms of her on this case, and bring her brother into question as well since it seems the lion's share of the allegations are against him.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 AM
well god damn! I too was under the impression she had just admitted to using the N word at some point in her life while being deposed, but holy shit, if that list is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it isnt) then I am glad she has lost all of her sponsors!

I personally think some level of racism is fine (in terms of Stand Up comedy and playing on stereo types, the way someone like Chris Rock or Louis CK does), but holy shit, if even 1 of those things listed is true (and im sure they all are) then good god!

I have never really liked Paula Deen, she was always so annoying and just seemed like not a genuine person, so when this all started happening, part of me was like "fuck yes!" (and part was like "huh" because I thought it was all stemming from her at one point in her life saying the N word)

Plus I noticed in all her "apologies" and TV interviews, she had some Crocodile Tears! (She was acting like she was crying but there was no moisture in those eyes, signs of a liar!)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post

"I want a true southern plantation-style wedding." When asked what type of uniforms the servers should wear, Paula stated, "well what I would really like is a bunch of little n*ggers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around"

Here's the full listing of alleged wrongdoings by Dean and certain members of her family:

Brother Bubba stated his wishes: “ I wish I could put all those n*ggers in the kitchen on a boat to Africa”;

Bubba asked a black driver and security guard "don’t you wish you could rub all the black off you and be like me? You just look dirty; I bet you wish you could." The guy told Bubba he was fine as is;

Bubba on President Obama: they should send him to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, so he could n*gger-rig it;

He shook an employee (Black again) and said” F your civil rights…you work for me and my sister Paula Deen;

Paula’s son Jaime's best friend managed the Lady & Sons restaurant. He threatened to fire all the 'Monkeys' in the kitchen. When Paula found out…she slapped him on the wrist and suggested that the employee visited Paula's $13,000,000 mansion so he felt special and could be massaged.

And that's just the racial stuff. I agree about people making a big deal out of her just saying nigger. The complainant also lists labor violations and sexual harassment incidents as well. But everyone is just focusing on the fact that she said nigger and that's all she's "apologizing" for. The media needs to expand their criticisms of her on this case, and bring her brother into question as well since it seems the lion's share of the allegations are against him.
JFC
Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm not surprised that some 60+ year old "Suhthurn girl" dropped the n-word. I would expect as much. I think the plantation wedding stuff was the worst part - mostly the fact that no one saw anything slightly wrong with it.

I seriously hate Southern culture and its glorification of its pre-civil war roots.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I seriously hate Southern culture and its glorification of its pre-civil war roots.
Agreed.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I'm not surprised that some 60+ year old "Suhthurn girl" dropped the n-word. I would expect as much. I think the plantation wedding stuff was the worst part - mostly the fact that no one saw anything slightly wrong with it.
I think a lot of people saw something wrong with that, the only problem was that they were most likely employees.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
I got angry when I first heard of this, and then I realized, why the fuck do I care? There's so much worse racism and shit in the world than some TV lady being ignorant, and now she's getting criticized by every person in America. Because obviously this is what we should be worried about.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkwbyNKC9Kg
Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Same. I like Paula Dean, though. Fuck that shit. The prejudice in most Americans, most human beings is so much worse. Good luck Paula. Ugh.

EDIT: Yes lets all overstate it and be assholes. The woman can cook. And thats her job. To cook and be televised doing so. What does her personal opinion (which is NEVER brought up) have to do with it. The American community loves to see people burn, after they send em flyin.

Last edited by Inglorious; 07-07-2013 at 03:16 AM..
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 AM
Quote:

But it only matters now. Did it matter 4 weeks ago? Is it still a big deal? Will it be a big deal to you in a month? Her life is ruined. For what? *sigh*

This isnt cited, dude (yes I know youre a female its a turn of phrase). And its shameful.

Last edited by Inglorious; 07-07-2013 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: Speculation
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 AM
My experience is that this kind of scandal is the best way to find out whether the general public really likes - as opposed to whether the industry insists the general public likes - a celebrity. It turns out, for example, we didn't really like Michael Richards all that much, but we were rather fond of Mike Tyson, and he actually went to prison.

Personally, I don't know or terribly care about whether she treated black people poorly, or whether she uttered a racial epithet back in the seventies. I don't like her because she had been contributing for years to the obesity epidemic by hawking unbelievably fattening food, with extra fatty fat piled on top, all behind a genial smile and a friendly southern accent. We're already the most overweight country in the world; we don't need someone encouraging us to feed our families lumps of butter the size of footballs.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
Why did the idiot clan of Deen's hire black people if they didn't like them. Its a strange one.
Why did slave owners hire black people to do all their work if they didn't like them? It's a strange one!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Why did slave owners hire black people to do all their work if they didn't like them? It's a strange one!
slave owners didn't hire black people.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
slave owners didn't hire black people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk
Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry, but any person who is receiving multi-million dollar deals with food vendors and global companies shouldn't be given a slap on the wrist for their usage of blatant racial slurs and discriminate practices. It would have probably been overlooked if she had done this once (which judging from her disposition we know otherwise), but it takes an entirely new extreme to have a plantation style wedding. It's like having a Holocaust themed party. Some will argue people are overreacting, but how so? Any form of racism, sexism, or homophobia is bad, and the usage of slurs to demoralize an entire group of people is completely inexcusable.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
But it only matters now. Did it matter 4 weeks ago? Is it still a big deal? Will it be a big deal to you in a month? Her life is ruined. For what? *sigh*

This isnt cited, dude (yes I know youre a female its a turn of phrase). And its shameful.

I'm sorry, what "isn't cited". The stuff I listed? These are actually listed in the suit against her company and brother. I'm actually more offended at her businesses' treatment of its employees, black and female.

I sincerely doubt her life is ruined by her use of the word "nigger". Look what happened with Don Imus. He says nappy headed hoes, gets off the air for a while then after the heat dies down gets another show. Sadly Americans are more disgusted by someone saying something racist and not people who abuse their employees.

As you said:
Quote:
The American community loves to see people burn, after they send em flyin.
... and then afterward loves to watch the comeback.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
No it isn't. Plantations aren't mutually exclusive to slavery; holcausts are mutually exclusive to mass murder.
Clearly he is referring to a plantation consisting of "a bunch of little n*ggers wearing long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties". Don't act like the context has not been provided.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
No it isn't. Plantations aren't mutually exclusive to slavery; holcausts are mutually exclusive to mass murder.
Plantations in the American South were exclusively mutual to slavery--which was the theme of the wedding. Did you not read the description provided above?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 PM
I had no idea who Paula Deen was nor did I care before or after this. lol
Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Cheap labour. But I think I get you where you're going. The Deens hired black people to treat them like shit. They wouldn't have enjoyed demoralizing other types as much...allegedly.
No, I was getting at how absurd your post was in implying that it was 'strange' for Deen's brother to hire black people since he's a racist.

Like you realize what you said was hilariously wrong, right?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus Fire View Post
I don't like her because she had been contributing for years to the obesity epidemic by hawking unbelievably fattening food, with extra fatty fat piled on top, all behind a genial smile and a friendly southern accent. We're already the most overweight country in the world; we don't need someone encouraging us to feed our families lumps of butter the size of footballs.
Yeah this is pretty much why I dislike her. That and she comes across as a fat stuck up biatch most of the time.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:44 PM
so she has admitted to using the n-word a long time ago, but to nothing else so I am just confused as to why she is automatically guilty? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry, what "isn't cited". The stuff I listed? These are actually listed in the suit against her company and brother. I'm actually more offended at her businesses' treatment of its employees, black and female.

I sincerely doubt her life is ruined by her use of the word "nigger". Look what happened with Don Imus. He says nappy headed hoes, gets off the air for a while then after the heat dies down gets another show. Sadly Americans are more disgusted by someone saying something racist and not people who abuse their employees.

As you said:
... and then afterward loves to watch the comeback.
Hmm. Good call and well thought out post. I still just believe in my heart this woman isnt evil, and realistically doesnt feel the way she said these things. Maybe Im wrong, but I sure hope she's not that nasty at heart.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 03:19 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Yeah this is pretty much why I dislike her. That and she comes across as a fat stuck up biatch most of the time.
Yet I like her because shes not that way. Shes like my grandmother from Jersey. She does have prejudices, and she does not lie about them. But she doesnt go willy-nilly about using it against others. She isnt trying to "fatten you up". I use more butter than her, Im a walking death machine of cholesterol. Yet... Im 6'1'', 170. Its her preference. Its not some evil agenda. For Christ's sakes people, come on...
Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Listen, son. I responded your post. If you wanted plantation to refer to a specific era, then you should've done that. And even then, slavery isn't the same thing as mass murder.
If we're discussing a wedding, plantation themed, orchestrated by Paula Deen, when I reference a plantation: I'm clearly referencing a Southern one--especially if blacks are acting as stand-ins for servants. It's called context clues, son. And I didn't compare slavery to mass murder--although some could argue the North Atlantic Slave Trade equated to mass murder over time--I was simply referencing two tragic events that focused on specific groups of people.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
@ Batty &

Yeah, and?

Mike, MIKE! Where you going? oh they putting you long sleeve white shirts, black shorts, and black bow tie. Fuck, mate. Lucky you. I'm heading to the fucking gas chamber to be poisoned alive, and Mioshe's gonna starve to death.

Yeah, thats the same fucking thing, init.
Yup, you're totally right. I totally said slavery and the Holocaust were the same thing.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Quote:
She isnt trying to "fatten you up". .
Lol you sure about that? Lets go over some of her most unhealthy recipes.

Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

The Ladys Brunch Burger

And those are just a few meals. I'd post more but I just lost my appetite from looking at those disgusting meals.
http://www.businessinsider.com/paula...es-2013-6?op=1

Granted, she's not holding a gun to anyone's head to try and get them to eat her unhealthy meals but DAMN, this bitch is off her rocker making this kind of filth.

It should also be noted that her recipe books are now flying off the shelves. smdh
Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 PM