Old 07-01-2013, 11:41 AM
James Cameron is being sued for $50 million

sorry for "bondgirlin" up this place but I want to know your thoughts on this.

A British artist by the name of Roger Dean is suing Cameron for 50 million dollars.

James Cameron has been sued by British artist, Roger Dean, for 50 million dollars over claims that the Hollywood director copied his ideas for the 3D film Avatar, which won three technical awards at the Oscars.
Dean has filed a legal action at a court in New York last week, while accusing Cameron of "wilful and deliberate copying, dissemination and exploitation" of his original images, the BBC reported.
In the legal action, the British artist- described in the papers as "an international artist and designer, whose evocative and visionary images created a new genre of work"- has claimed that the 58-year-old filmmaker had "studied and referenced his art in preparation for the film".
Dean, who graduated from the Royal College of Art, in London, in 1968, also asserted that, in particular, his paintings of floating islands and huge graceful arches in the sky, painted over the course of 40 years, were copied by Cameron.
He also pinpointed the similarities between the Tree of Life and the Home Tree of Avatar's fictional alien race the Na'vi, and his works Pathway and Floating Jun e.

http://www.realbollywood.com/2013/07...vatar-50m.html
Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I did a google search for Roger Dean's artwork and there are some similarities (esp in the first pic). Not sure it will warrant 50 million dollars though.

Personally I think the guy is just looking for some money. I dont think he really has a case here. There are some similarities between the floating islands and flying dragons in his artwork and Cameron's Avatar but I'm leaning towards its just a coincidence.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 PM
I have some books of Roger Dean's. Great artist.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Because luscious landscapes with floating pieces of earth, land details, etc. are specific to one artist of the last few hundred years.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
Because luscious landscapes with floating pieces of earth, land details, etc. are specific to one artist of the last few hundred years.
Exactly.

Floating islands have been around long before Dean. From Homer's The Odyssey to Gulliver's Travels to Star Trek to the artwork of Naohisa Inoue.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
Yup pretty much what I wanted to say.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Wasn't Cameron sued once before for plagiarizing the Twilight Zone, and a Philip K. Dick novel for his Terminator Films?
Anyway, I don't really see the issue here. Even if Cameron copied the hell out of Roger Dean, why would it matter? Film and Painting are two different artistic mediums. It would be like (insert pop star here) suing a romance movie for having similar ideas to on their songs.
I could understand maybe if this guy had painted the definitive scenes, or designed the characters. But he just painted some fantasy landscapes.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Perhaps Roger Dean just wants a nice fat retirement nest egg?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
I've seen Roger Dean's work. It's great.

It's also not that original.

My counter-argument to this claim would be the thousands of pieces of art that Dean probably copied off of before AVATAR even existed.

I might not like AVATAR, but this case has bullshit written all over it.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Wait a sec, is this the same guy suing again who came out to sue shortly after the release of the film - for the same reasons - or somebody else? Or a case of deja vu...
Old 07-03-2013, 05:27 PM
As for this...

Old 07-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
As for this...

I love this quote and have referenced it myself many times.