Old 10-26-2013, 03:36 PM
R.I.P. Antonia Bird

Heard about this just now via Twitter...I must've watched Mad Love a thousand times when I was younger, and I loved Ravenous. Delightfully deranged, unique film.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013...onia-bird-dies

Quote:

Tributes have been paid to director Antonia Bird, who has died at the age of 54.

She was perhaps best known for her work with actor Robert Carlyle on the 1994 film Priest, 1997's Face, and Ravenous two years later. She also worked in TV, including contributions to Spooks, Cracker and the BBC's The Village.

Carlyle wrote on Twitter: "Such a sad day today RIP Antonia Bird. Farewell my beautiful friend." And fellow actor John Simm, who worked with Bird on the Village, wrote: "Such terribly sad news yesterday re the untimely death of the wonderful Antonia Bird. A brilliant, inspiring, beautiful Soul. RIP Antonia."

Tribute was also paid by actor Nico Mirallegro, who starred in The Village portraying the son of Simm's character. The Spike Island actor wrote: "So awfully sad to hear about Antonia Bird. Beautifully talented lady. Thanks for everything. RIP."

He added: "I'm so pleased that I got the chance to learn from and work with such an inspirational person! Loved everything about her!"

Irvine Welsh, the Trainspotting writer with whom Bird set up the production company Four Way Pictures, wrote that he had lost a "great pal" in Bird, adding that she "made amazing films".

Their business partner Mark Cousins said: "So touching to see all the tributes to director Antonia Bird. The thing now is to make her work available and get it seen." British actress Marsha Thomason, who appeared in Bird's Priest and was also in US TV series Lost and 2 Broke Girls, said: "I'm so very saddened to hear about the passing of Antonia Bird. A sweetheart of a woman and a talented director."

And Andy Pryor, a former colleague, wrote: "So sad about the passing of Antonia Bird. One of the best directors I've worked with and her appreciation of actors was immense."

Bird began her career in theatre, before moving into TV. She made episodes of EastEnders and Casualty and later worked on The Bill, Inspector Morse and Peak Practice.

She won 10 awards in her career, including two Bafta TV awards for Best Single Drama; one for Safe in 1994, the other for Care in 2001, which dealt with sexual abuse in a children's home and also won her the Bafta Cymru award the same year. Bird won the Bafta children's award for Best Learning Primary in 2009.

Bird got the award for best film at the Berlin International Film Festival and the People's Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival; both of which were for Priest.

In an interview with the Guardian in 1999, she said that she preferred working with British actors to American because the former "arrive on the set and they have an idea of what they want to do in the scene. They've thought about it, they come and offer you something as a director".

She added: "Generally, to get a good performance out of an actor you go with that offer, because that's going to be truthful. This person has thought truthfully about what they're doing at this point and if you can make that work with your cameras, the lighting and all the other hoo-hah that's going on then you're gonna get a great performance.

"American actors arrive on the set a blank book now that's fine, that's their tradition, but as a British director it's absolutely terrifying "
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 02:48 PM..