Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 PM
James Avery dead at 65 (Uncle Phil on Fresh Prince)

"Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" actor James Avery died in a Los Angeles hospital last night (Dec. 31), according to TMZ. He was 65.

His publicist confirmed the news of his death to CNN, as did his former co-star Alfonso Ribeiro, who tweeted, "I'm deeply saddened to say that James Avery has passed away. He was a second father to me. I will miss him greatly."

Avery had recently undergone open heart surgery and reportedly died from complications from the operation.

A classically trained actor and poet, Avery grew up in Atlantic City, N.J., where he was raised by a single mother. He served in the Navy during the Vietnam War and first appeared onscreen as a dancer in an uncredited role in the 1980 film "The Blues Brothers."

Avery also voiced characters for many animated series, most notably for 1987's "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and the 1990s "Iron Man" series. He will, of course, be remembered for playing Phillip Banks, the stern but loving uncle to Will Smith's character on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."

Link

I learned fairly recently that James Avery played the voice of Shredder, and it blew my freaking mind. I could never hear it before, but now that I know, it's unmistakeable.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:06 PM
RIP Uncle Phil

And yeah, I was surprised to find out he did the voice of Shredder. Also did a couple of voices for The Real Ghost Busters too.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Loved his role on the Fresh Prince. And I too had no clue he voiced Shredder. That is badass!

RIP
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 AM
RIP.