Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Jared Leto, please act more

Just saw Dallas Buyers Club and man, dude is just flat out awesome in this. He better at least get an Oscar nom.

I know he's very into his band (30 Seconds to Mars) but come on dude, act more please. He's only been in a couple films in the past 5 years which is frustrating.

I also liked his role in Mr Nobody which was a bomb but I enjoyed the trippy film for the most part.

Last edited by echo_bravo; 01-08-2014 at 11:13 AM..
Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Just saw Dallas Buyers Club and man, dude is just flat out awesome in this. He better at least get an Oscar nom.
Don't you worry. Not only is he getting an Oscar nom, he's most probably winning it. He's been pretty much winning every Sup. Actor award for that role.
While I think he was excellent in it and deserves awards, I would still put Michael Fassbender's turn as the savage slaveowner in front. In truth, that category is pretty weak all things considered so I think it will be between Leto and Fassbender, with Leto most likely winning.

Now a funny story about Jared Leto..

A girlfriend of a friend's friend went to a 30 Seconds to Mars show, got backstage passes and met Leto. He apparently invited her to party with them, and ended up banging her. She was with her boyfriend for over 5 years before Jared Leto happened. True story.

Even though it's kind of the girl's fault in that scenario, Leto is apparently a huge douchebag in real life. One of those celebrities that looks down on the puny humans who aren't in his elite social circles.

But, regardless, he's still a terrific actor and deserves the attention he's getting now for his performance.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:02 AM
I just recently watched Mr. Nobody, and while the movie was far from perfect, it was yet another great example of Mr. Leto's extraordinary talent.

I'm torn though. I really enjoy 30 Seconds to Mars also...

I've also heard stories of Leto being a pretty big jerk in real life. But meh, don't really care that much. Considering all the crappy people they have to do deal with I'm sure it's pretty easy to get jaded.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Even though it's kind of the girl's fault in that scenario, Leto is apparently a huge douchebag in real life.
So why is he a douchebag? Unless the girl was 12 and didn't know anything about singers and their groupies, she knew she would let Leto in her pants the minute she got the backstage passes.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Man I hope so DaMovie Man. I haven't been following all the top performances of this year but that would be cool if Leto actually won an Oscar. fingers crossed.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Leto has that shit locked up. I don't see anyone challenging him at this point. I actually prefer Abdi over anyone else in the running, but Leto is deserving. I'm not really on the Fassbender train. It's a pretty good performance, but the accent was an issue for me (something that no one seems to be bringing up).
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM
I think people have gotten too hung up on his personality. Leto is for some reason not really considered on the list of current top working actors -- maybe he's a nightmare to work with and fucks up production? -- which seems incredible given his performances are consistently among the best of the year, even in bad movies.

It reminds me a bit of the "Sean Penn vs. DDL" conversation where people probably overestimate the gap between their ability because DDL is humble and rarely seen as a celebrity out-of-character and Sean Penn is seen by many as smug and douchey and always out there in the public sphere as a celebrity playing himself. -- Leto's music career and personality probably makes us take him less seriously than he merits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
It's a pretty good performance, but the accent was an issue for me (something that no one seems to be bringing up).
Although I don't think the accent hurts the film at all, I did notice it and think it's an instance of a superb actor giving a superb performance because of his talent, but not being any sort of particular fit for the role. Without the Director-Actor relationship, the obvious person for the role would have been a true southerner like Walton Goggins.

Last edited by Gordon; 01-08-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I think people have gotten too hung up on his personality. Leto is for some reason not really considered on the list of current top working actors -- maybe he's a nightmare to work with and fucks up production? -- which seems incredible given his performances are consistently among the best of the year, even in bad movies.
I've heard nothing but good things about him in interviews with directors who have worked with him. Fincher and Aronofsky love him, and those are two pretty tough directors to work for. He has a relentless energy that makes him a dream to directors working on tough, mentally exhausting productions.

I haven't heard much about his off-set personality. I guess it's always been assumed that he's a bit of an asshole, but I've never really heard any stories.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM
I would love for him to work with Fincher again. While watching some of the behind the scenes of Panic Room, they seemed to have a blast working together.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
So why is he a douchebag? Unless the girl was 12 and didn't know anything about singers and their groupies, she knew she would let Leto in her pants the minute she got the backstage passes.
I know right? I totally blame the girl in that scenario.

But I did hear that Leto was a douchebag from my ex who used to work on film sets. She knew loads of people who've met him and said that he's one of those actors who's a diva, looks down on the "common folk" and so forth. Like Alec Baldwin kinda.

But anyway, maybe he's a great guy, who knows. It shouldn't really matter because it's all about his talent. And he's got that for sure.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:53 PM
^^^

Jimmy Kimmel was asked in an interview awhile back who his worst guest was and he said Jared Leto so maybe he is an asshole. But thats okay, a lot of great actors are. I dont really care about his personal life, just want him to act more.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:22 PM
I always thought he was Mr. Nice Guy. But I did like him in Dallas Buyers Club, pretty solid acting right there.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 AM
I remember him being a total brat to Elijah Wood after Wood had said in an interview he would never be a fan of 30 Seconds to Mars and then Leto got in his face during a performance, like left barely enough space for air to pass between them, while angrily singing at him. Who the fuck gets aggro with Elijah Wood? Yeah, he doesn't like your band. Move.the.fuck.on. You're 40 fucking years old!!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm going to rent this tonight